Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Furious George posted:

Have Pirelli announced the tyre selection yet? They'll probably select the three hardest compounds 'just to be on the safe side', that's what they normally do at new tracks they don't have data for.

Yeah, the three softest compounds are what will be available. Driving any of the harder ones would be like driving with plastic tyres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alaois posted:

Youre right khablam, the tires work better when theyre cold, thats why they try to keep them as cold as possible when theyre on track and why most of the races are held in winter

I'm glad all these goons with experience on race tires are weighing in since they all know what they're talking about.

It's just so lovely that this sport doesn't have things like tire blankets and brake duct covers to generate initial heat and keep that heat in the tires, this problem probably wouldn't exist if the sport had those things.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It's an interesting question as to how they'll maintain temp on track and I'm really hoping it is a serious problem so we see some weird solutions

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Charcoal briquettes inside the tyres

It's great that nobody involved in operating the Pinnacle Of Motorsport checked out what Las Vegas at midnight in November was like.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Under track radiant heating. They've got Richard Trethewey out there installing it right now.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wicka posted:

Under track radiant heating. They've got Richard Trethewey out there installing it right now.

Can we get coils that glow through the pavement?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
it’ll be like the energy pads in F-Zero, gotta go off the racing line to warm them back up

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

It's great that nobody involved in operating the Pinnacle Of Motorsport checked out what Las Vegas at midnight in November was like.

They already spent like $400 grand on the land where the paddock is going, in for a penny in for a pound at this point.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ilmucche posted:

It's an interesting question as to how they'll maintain temp on track and I'm really hoping it is a serious problem so we see some weird solutions
Both you, and this thread, have one final chance to understand this.

When the track temperature is 30c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing pace.
When the track temperature is 29c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 28c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 27c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 26c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 25c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 24c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 23c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 22c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 21c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 20c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 19c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 18c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 17c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
In this sequence, you always go faster as the temperatures fall as you can do more work with the tyres.

Now this is what you believe is next.

When the track temperature is 16c the pirelli tyres will turn to stone. Anarchy will reign. No one will be able to get into an active temp window and run more than 5 laps. Can't believe no one thought of this. I'm so smart tho i went on weather.com then just lolled at idea the cars could work!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

what about when the track temp is 8c

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Not that it's apples to apples but anytime I've taken my kart out in similar temperatures the challenge has been getting everything up to temperature, once it was there it was fine. I don't think it's going to be an issue aside from the drivers complaining how loving cold it is.

The issue with the low temperature like that is the condensation forming at sundown and that's USUALLY what makes the tires greasy (see any time MotoGP is in Qatar during sunset/twilight conditions). Which is presumably why the race is at 10pm inspite of goons incessantly saying putting the race there made no sense

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Khablam posted:

When the track temperature is 30c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing pace.
When the track temperature is 29c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 28c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 27c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 26c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 25c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 24c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 23c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 22c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 21c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 20c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 19c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 18c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
When the track temperature is 17c the pirelli tyres will overheat after one quali-pace lap. Temperatures are kept down by losing slightly less pace.
In this sequence, you always go faster as the temperatures fall as you can do more work with the tyres.

When the track temperature is 16c the pirelli tyres will turn to stone. Anarchy will reign. No one will be able to get into an active temp window and run more than 5 laps. Can't believe no one thought of this. I'm so smart tho i went on weather.com then just lolled at idea the cars could work!!

You're right, it just works this way infinitely. You can't even imagine how fast it would be if the race were held in -100C

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

listen folks, khablam has been in the sim crunching the numbers and you're all gonna look dumb as hell come rawe ceek

Khablam brain is a rawe ceek

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

tony quidtana posted:

Not that it's apples to apples but anytime I've taken my kart out in similar temperatures the challenge has been getting everything up to temperature, once it was there it was fine. I don't think it's going to be an issue aside from the drivers complaining how loving cold it is.

yeah i'm really excited for outlaps and lap 1. hoping the tyres cool off enough to gently caress'em over.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Perez is definitely bad enough to crash on the pit exit

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ethanol posted:

but its disrespectful to old man Fernando to keep him up after 10 pm

As someone Fernando's age, this but unironically.

Piss Stain Johnson posted:

Just looked up the track for the 1982 Las Vegas GP and lmao:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Caesars_Palace_Grand_Prix?wprov=sfla1

e: reading further, it was just some concrete barriers on a parking lot so also completely flat.

It's in some sims, it's exactly as bad as you think it is while also having the worst surface you can imagine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

they had enough vacant seats to cancel construction of one of the seating areas and just give anyone who was gonna sit there a free upgrade to seats $500 more expensive, but I'm just a hayseed banker who doesn't understand how that is supposed to mean things are going fine actually

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Imagining that the money changing hands in Vegas during RAWE CEEK has anything to do with how many punters show up is a wild hot take.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
we need hot takes so that the tyres will stay warm

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Khablam posted:

:sickos:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/NewtypeSeiji/status/1721896831205228670?t=T9W6fmCCniz3OID4ilWGQw&s=19

loving Yuki, man.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's well established yuki is a goon type

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anime and pooing, he's probably got an account

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lmao hell yeah yuki

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

No Evangelion? Lame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tony quidtana posted:

No Evangelion? Lame.

They could have sponsored Ferrari with a Red Comet paint job but there's no way in hell that shitbox is moving at three times normal speed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I dunno what that is the only anime I've seen is Evangelion and some random one about a 16 year old girl buying a Honda Super Cub.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

tony quidtana posted:

No Evangelion? Lame.

If Perez crashes in a race again, that’ll be the Third Impact

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Get in the car, Charles

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nybble posted:

checo getting ejected from the team directly into the roof

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Thanks Ants posted:

Perez is definitely bad enough to crash on the pit exit

We might see more than one crash during the formation lap, then.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nybble posted:

His Absolute Terror Field: Alpha Tauri.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

niethan posted:

Get in the car, Charles

(Espresso brewing noises)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
*Binotto with folded hands and white out glasses*

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

they had enough vacant seats to cancel construction of one of the seating areas and just give anyone who was gonna sit there a free upgrade to seats $500 more expensive, but I'm just a hayseed banker who doesn't understand how that is supposed to mean things are going fine actually

Even at the low end, ticket prices are like ~5x the COTA equivalent. It’s insane

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Even at the low end, ticket prices are like ~5x the COTA equivalent. It’s insane

rate hikes hit vaporware hard

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Khablam posted:

I dont know you but i love you sir

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If nothing else, Khablam's posting explains how people drive around here on snow days.

"Oh my look at all that ice, my tyres are so going to be in their operating window!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lmao it completely gave up on the green one's arms and just gave it a third leg :laugh: