Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The only apps you can’t really find on tvOS are sideloaded apps with the ads blocked for YouTube and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thanks everyone. How does the DNS thing work for geo disguising?

NewFatMike posted:

Just confirming that those ones I have installed right now and work great, hopefully others will chime in on yours.

My current Apple TV 4K has Ethernet and is on a wired connection with no complaints.

There are reports of the Ethernet port disconnecting when the console goes to sleep and requires a router restart when it's wakened. Have you experienced that?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There are reports of the Ethernet port disconnecting when the console goes to sleep and requires a router restart when it's wakened. Have you experienced that?

Nope, worst I’ve got is one a month it’ll say disconnected from network for about twelve seconds before it reconnects, never even had a hitch in playback.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The dns stuff never has worked for me. As of tvOS 17 there are native vpn apps. I use Tailscale with mullvad exit nodes.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Gonna throw in that this is my first AppleTV and I’ve never had this issue. I only got it to play 4k content from remote plex and avoid transcoding, but I’ve found I really like the Apple TV a lot.

I’ve also side loaded Kodi because the NHL makes it a gigantic pain in the rear end to watch my local team/Stanly Cup Playoffs.

So, basically, 10/10. Would highly recommend one compared to other devices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sign up to a service like Smart DNS Proxy, pop one of the addresses into the Manual DNS network option and that’s pretty much it. I’ll watch iPlayer, ITVX, C4 etc from the US then swing into HBO and it’ll serve them all up fine without having to touch anything.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sign up to a service like Smart DNS Proxy, pop one of the addresses into the Manual DNS network option and that’s pretty much it. I’ll watch iPlayer, ITVX, C4 etc from the US then swing into HBO and it’ll serve them all up fine without having to touch anything.

Anecdotal response, don’t use Private Internet Access for this. It didn’t work for me and when I looked online there were lots of posts that PIAs smart DNS just doesn’t work. Likely PIAs fault.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks everyone.
Hey for info, if you look up an App Store app on, say, your iPhone, just under the first row of pictures it’ll say something like “app available for iPad, watch, tv“ if there’s a version for those devices.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

SmartDNSProxy has been A+++ for me for nearly a decade, but their UK DNS service has been down for the last month. We're going through iPlayer and All4 withdrawal. I've read that NordVPN has a geoip service but haven't done the math to see if it's worth it.

[edit] I just went through a support session with them, and the UK DNS stuff works fine on my Mac/Safari, just not via the apps on the AppleTV :(

fischtick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 3, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird, have you tried changing the dns server you’re using? We’re watching a few daily aired shows at the moment and it’s easier to watch on the UK services than wait for scene releases that are a bit inconsistent timing wise, and only had one evening where the services didnt like it. I tried a few different locations and it worked ok then. This is all on the AppleTV too.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Turns out, BBC and All4 both turned on something that notices my timezone. Setting the AppleTV to GMT (and rebooting) was the fix. Said fix would be 100% invisible if it wasn't for the fact that tvOS 17 added a friggin' clock in the corner.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey for info, if you look up an App Store app on, say, your iPhone, just under the first row of pictures it’ll say something like “app available for iPad, watch, tv“ if there’s a version for those devices.

Android man here! Though I assume the same thing applies if I use my iPad?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Android man here! Though I assume the same thing applies if I use my iPad?

Yeah

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks everyone for the comments and responses. Should get this bad boy delivered in the next couple of hours. If anyone's interested in a comparison between the Fire TV Cube 2nd gen and the Apple TV 4K, I can post impressions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks everyone for the comments and responses. Should get this bad boy delivered in the next couple of hours. If anyone's interested in a comparison between the Fire TV Cube 2nd gen and the Apple TV 4K, I can post impressions.

Definitely go for it!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I agree.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hey hey, Apple TV buddies. A few meandering thoughts.

Device itself is nice, build quality feels good. Remote feels cold due to metal casing, a bright red rubber cover fixed that though.

I love having gigabit Ethernet built-in to the console itself, and was one of the main reasons I wanted to change from the micro-USB 100Mbps Ethernet port on the Fire TV Cube.

Artwork definitely loads faster with the gigabit connection - it's basically instantaneous. My wireless signal got me around 400Mbps on the Fire TV but it often dropped off the access point in the same room and got a crap connection to an access point elsewhere in the house, so for consistency I stuck with the slower, wired connection.

Setup was a breeze, after holding my iPad next to the console I continued setup from the iPad. Gotta love NFC or Bluetooth or whatever black magic that is. Fire TV setup is similarly easy in this regard, though probably not just as seamless.

Call me a nerd but I love love love knowing that I'm up to date with the latest operating system version. Fire TV is updated a couple of times per month but version numbers are about 8 digits long and there are never any changelogs available unless it's major version changes. I mean I know they're minor bug fix releases, but tvOS 17.1 etc. is just easier to keep track of. Updating from tvOS 16.x to 17.1 took quite some time considering the A15 chip and the 4GB RAM but that's just an observation.

The controller touch navigation is something I can't confidently get the hang of, I turned that off and I'm getting fewer accidental inputs. Muscle memory from the Fire TV remote, variations of which I've used for years, is strong, but hopefully in a few days my brain will retrain.

Two things that are absolutely night and day are the user interface and user experience. Ads are all over the place on the Fire TV and they're made all the more obvious with 10 times less advertising on the Apple TV. The fluidity of the Apple console is superior as expected, and the multitasking view is a nice touch.

I like the API that allows apps to present the last ten or so last played videos as visually pleasing UI.

The Apple TV doesn't recognise my soundbar through the optical output that connects it with my TV. The Fire TV recognised it and allowed volume control from the remote, which is great as the soundbar remote has long been lost to the sofa gods.

The soundbar does get picked up through Bluetooth and I can adjust the volume of that with the Siri remote, but that volume is independent of the onboard soundbar volume, which is frustrating. Soundbar appears as a "temporary" sound output via the Control Centre, but the positive so far is that there's no audio lag I can identify.

Any tips or guides on how to setup the soundbar to work as it did with the Fire TV? It's a Q Acoustics M4.

Last thoughts, any app that doesn't let you setup via phone/tablet and requires you to enter passwords manually by scrolling around the on-screen keyboard is abhorrent and the developers should be marooned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Apple TV doesn't recognise my soundbar through the optical output that connects it with my TV. The Fire TV recognised it and allowed volume control from the remote, which is great as the soundbar remote has long been lost to the sofa gods.

Any tips or guides on how to setup the soundbar to work as it did with the Fire TV? It's a Q Acoustics M4.

Last thoughts, any app that doesn't let you setup via phone/tablet and requires you to enter passwords manually by scrolling around the on-screen keyboard is abhorrent and the developers should be marooned.

There’s a setting to configure the remote to control your tv or sound bar. I’m not at home but you can absolutely have the volume up and down on the remote control the sound bar.

For your second part anytime there is a text box that appears on the Apple TV there should be a prompt on your iPad to type the text in on there. If you had a phone it would pop up there as well. It’s very handy.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

FYI: I got cheaper Youtube Premium by VPNing into the Ukraine and signing up there for $4 a month as a family. Well worth it to not have to dick around with adblockers/extensions with YouTube cracking down.

India, Turkey, Argentina wouldn't work with a Privacy.com card.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

FYI: I got cheaper Youtube Premium by VPNing into the Ukraine and signing up there for $4 a month as a family. Well worth it to not have to dick around with adblockers/extensions with YouTube cracking down.

India, Turkey, Argentina wouldn't work with a Privacy.com card.

Can you pay by the year?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Can you pay by the year?

Nope

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

One day someone will tell me why people preface Ukraine with “the.”

Have you ever been to the Canada? Ever visited the Egypt? How was your trip to the France? I once went to the Sweden. Remember that time we went to the Spain?

Ukraine is at war with the Russia.

:goonsay:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 8, 2023

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

eightysixed posted:

One day someone will tell me why people preface Ukraine with “the.”

Have you ever been to the Canada? Ever visited the Egypt? How was your trip to the France? I once went to the Sweden. Remember that time we went to the Spain?

:goonsay:

Ukraine means “border lands” or something like that. So you’re actually saying “the borderlands” in the same way you’d say “the Netherlands”. It’s not really proper to say it that way, but it’s been done for a long time and sometimes old habits die hard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And further to that, using "the" gives it the connotation of being defined in relation to some other country, like "the Ukraine" is "the borderlands (of Russia)". Hence why someone insisting on "the" is kind of a shibboleth for that person having Russia affinity

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

We’re from the England. Got it. It all makes sense now that we have an affinity :v:

e: im stopping with this, it just always strikes me as odd. Back to AppleTV and soundbar remotes that were sacrificed to the sofa god.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's actually the reboot of Ukraine after people forgot about it for 10 years.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hey hey, Apple TV buddies. A few meandering thoughts.

Device itself is nice, build quality feels good. Remote feels cold due to metal casing, a bright red rubber cover fixed that though.

I love having gigabit Ethernet built-in to the console itself, and was one of the main reasons I wanted to change from the micro-USB 100Mbps Ethernet port on the Fire TV Cube.

Artwork definitely loads faster with the gigabit connection - it's basically instantaneous. My wireless signal got me around 400Mbps on the Fire TV but it often dropped off the access point in the same room and got a crap connection to an access point elsewhere in the house, so for consistency I stuck with the slower, wired connection.

Setup was a breeze, after holding my iPad next to the console I continued setup from the iPad. Gotta love NFC or Bluetooth or whatever black magic that is. Fire TV setup is similarly easy in this regard, though probably not just as seamless.

Call me a nerd but I love love love knowing that I'm up to date with the latest operating system version. Fire TV is updated a couple of times per month but version numbers are about 8 digits long and there are never any changelogs available unless it's major version changes. I mean I know they're minor bug fix releases, but tvOS 17.1 etc. is just easier to keep track of. Updating from tvOS 16.x to 17.1 took quite some time considering the A15 chip and the 4GB RAM but that's just an observation.

The controller touch navigation is something I can't confidently get the hang of, I turned that off and I'm getting fewer accidental inputs. Muscle memory from the Fire TV remote, variations of which I've used for years, is strong, but hopefully in a few days my brain will retrain.

Two things that are absolutely night and day are the user interface and user experience. Ads are all over the place on the Fire TV and they're made all the more obvious with 10 times less advertising on the Apple TV. The fluidity of the Apple console is superior as expected, and the multitasking view is a nice touch.

I like the API that allows apps to present the last ten or so last played videos as visually pleasing UI.

The soundbar does get picked up through Bluetooth and I can adjust the volume of that with the Siri remote, but that volume is independent of the onboard soundbar volume, which is frustrating. Soundbar appears as a "temporary" sound output via the Control Centre, but the positive so far is that there's no audio lag I can identify.

If your TV has ARC input then there might be something you can do there. I'm currently using homepod minis as my TV speakers (because I'm a sicko) and it can tie in to the TV itself via ARC, which is great because I can use them as the speakers for games consoles too.

As others have said, if the soundbar has IR input you can teach the Apple TV remote to act as it, which I did with my previous speakers and mostly worked fine.

I agree with your feedback about the remote. It looks georgeous but it also feels like the most extreme end of Apple's industrial design aesthetic, to the detriment of the cosiness of your living room.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

eightysixed posted:

We’re from the England. Got it. It all makes sense now that we have an affinity :v:

You mean 'The' United Kingdom?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

If your TV has ARC input then there might be something you can do there. I'm currently using homepod minis as my TV speakers (because I'm a sicko) and it can tie in to the TV itself via ARC, which is great because I can use them as the speakers for games consoles too.

As others have said, if the soundbar has IR input you can teach the Apple TV remote to act as it, which I did with my previous speakers and mostly worked fine.

I agree with your feedback about the remote. It looks georgeous but it also feels like the most extreme end of Apple's industrial design aesthetic, to the detriment of the cosiness of your living room.

My TV has ARC but I don't think my soundbar does, just optical, 3.5mm and those left/right audio inputs.

Strange thing happening with YouTube - when ads come on, the screen goes blank then shows the ad, then black again before resuming the original video. Audio plays as expected while the screen is doing this. What's causing that to happen?

Match dynamic range. Turned it off and it's good now. Will that make much difference to general content?

Also, USB C controller charging forever.

Oh yeah I set up the Siri remote for IR with the soundbar but there's some combination of settings that just keep it controlling Bluetooth volume.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 8, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Strange thing happening with YouTube - when ads come on, the screen goes blank then shows the ad, then black again before resuming the original video. Audio plays as expected while the screen is doing this. What's causing that to happen?
It's switching video modes. I forget the details, but that's the long and short of it. Something weird about how YouTube displays that Google doesn't care to change.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My TV has ARC but I don't think my soundbar does, just optical, 3.5mm and those left/right audio inputs.

Also, USB C controller charging forever.

Oh yeah I set up the Siri remote for IR with the soundbar but there's some combination of settings that just keep it controlling Bluetooth volume.

I’m gonna guess the content frame matching is causing this possibility.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Hughlander posted:

You mean 'The' United Kingdom?

That’s not what it was called in 1776.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Some cheek from The Colonies :a2m:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

eightysixed posted:

I thought 1776 was only special to 'The' United States...

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

It was fun when Steve would come out and say “This is what you can do with iPad.”

This is iPhone. Look what I can do with iPhone.

Oh wait I forgot AppleTV. You can stream stuff using AppleTV. Where can I buy AppleTV?

Violator
May 15, 2003

eightysixed posted:

It was fun when Steve would come out and say “This is what you can do with iPad.”

Oh wait I forgot AppleTV. You can stream stuff using AppleTV. Where can I buy AppleTV?

That used to bug me so much.

I love how the YouTube Kids app doesn't have a "restart video" button or menu option anywhere. I love pressing back 150 times to rewind the same Handyman Hal video so my kid can watch it for the 200th time.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

eightysixed posted:

As a side note, a few tech Youtuberds will constantly refer to all phones or tech products like this and it drives me crazy. I understand it’s an actual corporate guideline for Apple to use that language but you’re techtuber69, you can say anything at all and not have to sound weird and dumb

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
This might be a really stupid question but can I download purchased films to ATV4K?
I’m thinking about upgrading from ATVHD now I’ve got a 4K TV at long last
Internet speed here isn’t always superb so if I can keep some high quality downloads on the box for perfect playback that’d be ideal

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FiftyFour posted:

This might be a really stupid question but can I download purchased films to ATV4K?
I’m thinking about upgrading from ATVHD now I’ve got a 4K TV at long last
Internet speed here isn’t always superb so if I can keep some high quality downloads on the box for perfect playback that’d be ideal

Pretty sure that's a no-go, ATV is strictly streaming only.

The storage is for apps only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't store locally, even apps that let you do it on mobile (netflix, etc) can't do it on apple tv.

Most people work around it by running plex or kodi in their home.