Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, that's already a Thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_cleavage

Looks like it started in fashion but has also been adopted by, uh, foot enthusiasts.

Unless I'm thinking of a different incident, I think it came up in the Switch thread because me and An Actual Princess were complaining about how the playable characters in Live A Live are all dudes.

Definitely predates that

edit: Cythereal in 2019

Len has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
My impression of Forrest Gump is that it’s kind of conservative propaganda.

What does Forrest do? He obeys authority, keeps his mouth shut, never complains, does not try to correct injustice or change the system, just does what he is told told. And his reward is inexhaustible wealth and the specific woman he wanted. Not even “a beautiful, loving wife”, he “gets” the exact specific woman he wanted.

What does Jenny do? She challenges the system, tries to change it, fights injustice, protests the criminal actions of those in power. And her reward is to be betrayed, violated, impoverished, rendered sick, and completely and utterly humiliated along with her dream.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's Boomer nostalgia bait, not a didactic cautionary tale

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Heath posted:

It's Boomer nostalgia bait, not a didactic cautionary tale

What's the loving difference big brain?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nostalgia seeks to convince the viewer that they experienced it that way, caution seeks to convince the viewer that they will experience it that way.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

tokin opposition posted:

What's the loving difference big brain?

That the person above is thinking too deeply about it and you're evidently personally offended on behalf of the movie

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The real villain in Forrest Gump was the screenwriter.

In the book he had a monkey.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dewgy posted:

In the book he had a monkey.

This changes everything.

Edit: Forrest and the monkey go to SPACE in the book!?

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 8, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Heath posted:

That the person above is thinking too deeply about it and you're evidently personally offended on behalf of the movie

1. analyzing media is in and of itself valuable as it tells us what its makers valued, how they saw the world, and what messages they intentionally or unintentionally wanted to send, 2. there's a long history of analyzing forest grump as a piece of conservative media so it's hardly as if Nebrilos made up the idea from whole cloth 3. I really loving hate boomers and their forest-grumpian outlook, both when younger and currently has hosed the world in innumerable ways but especially in the ways they remember amerikkkan history 4. reflexive rejection of media analysis is at best a sign of being a dipshit and 5. I've never actually seen forest grump because I'm too busy watching good media, like Pantheon (2022)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

tokin opposition posted:

1. analyzing media is in and of itself valuable as it tells us what its makers valued, how they saw the world, and what messages they intentionally or unintentionally wanted to send, 2. there's a long history of analyzing forest grump as a piece of conservative media so it's hardly as if Nebrilos made up the idea from whole cloth 3. I really loving hate boomers and their forest-grumpian outlook, both when younger and currently has hosed the world in innumerable ways but especially in the ways they remember amerikkkan history 4. reflexive rejection of media analysis is at best a sign of being a dipshit and 5. I've never actually seen forest grump because I'm too busy watching good media, like Pantheon (2022)

I'm not rejecting media analysis wholesale, I'm saying that reading concepts like propaganda into Forrest loving Gump is the same kind of tired surface level bullshit that people jerk themselves off over because they resent their parents and resent the movie because their parents like it. It isn't analysis, it's the same dumb poo poo conclusion every 30something came to about Forrest Gump when they caught it playing on TBS or whatever for the fortieth time and went "wait a minute, this is really unrealistic!!"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Did you know Jenny actually died of Hep C? I dunno I just thought it was a weird choice.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the book, he was originally a much more unlikeable character than the movie portrayed him to be

I am, of course, referring to John Hammond from Jurassic Park

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

in the book, Forrest is actually a dinosaur

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The problem with Forrest Gump is that people love to zero in on the whole thing about Jenny to the exclusion to the rest of the movie and this precludes meaningful discussion about it’s many themes and messages it’s trying to convey.

They just can’t see the Forrest from the trees

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is why the U.S. military should have continued to develop the gay bomb.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Heath posted:

I'm not rejecting media analysis wholesale, I'm saying that reading concepts like propaganda into Forrest loving Gump is the same kind of tired surface level bullshit that people jerk themselves off over because they resent their parents and resent the movie because their parents like it. It isn't analysis, it's the same dumb poo poo conclusion every 30something came to about Forrest Gump when they caught it playing on TBS or whatever for the fortieth time and went "wait a minute, this is really unrealistic!!"
What if you also look at the erasure of African-American agency in Back to the Future from the same director?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Platystemon posted:

This is why the U.S. military should have continued to develop the gay bomb.

Should have?

Buddy what do you think the frogs drank that made them gay?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Gaygent orange is that anything?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tokin opposition posted:

Absinthe, soya, and seed oils, in that order.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

tokin opposition posted:

Should have?

Fortified carbohydrate beverage and Rip Its

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

oldpainless posted:

In the book, he was originally a much more unlikeable character than the movie portrayed him to be

Yeah. I'm pretty sure book Forrest both hosed and said "gently caress".

FFT posted:

What if you also look at the erasure of African-American agency in Back to the Future from the same director?

I watched part of this one for the first time a few years ago, and was hella disturbed at the entire ending involving a prom sexual assault scene that's treated like a silly little inconvenience, let's keep dancing!!! :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

As a more light-hearted :lol:, I found multiple instances of people asking what the "Crip cheat code" for San Andreas is. :allears:
What does that mean?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

oldpainless posted:

I am, of course, referring to John Hammond from Jurassic Park
Life is like a box of chocolates. It, uh, finds a way.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Tiggum posted:

What does that mean?

My guess is that there was some kind of rumor of a cheat code that would replace the games fictional gangs (Grove Street in green and Ballaz in purple) with the actual Los Angeles street gangs, Bloods and Crips (in red and blue, naturally).

I just realized that to someone not from the US, that may have looked like I was just throwing slurs around, ha. Sorry about that!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

FFT posted:

We can't allow anyone to tarnish the legacy of child sex trafficker Chuck Berry.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Yeah. I'm pretty sure book Forrest both hosed and said "gently caress".

I watched part of this one for the first time a few years ago, and was hella disturbed at the entire ending involving a prom sexual assault scene that's treated like a silly little inconvenience, let's keep dancing!!! :stare:

Hey that's not fair. It was Marty's plan to fake attempting to assault his mom that backfired because she was down that was played as a joke. Biff's attempted rape was a moment of actual menace.

There's a bunch of stuff that aged poorly, but I think people sometimes skip just how loving weird and bleak the film's intentional stuff is and tonal whiplash like that sexual peril to romantic dance moment, or the way the Libyans go from stone cold killers to goofy slapstick in the course of a chase.
The town is lovely and rundown before Marty goes to the past and it's still lovely when he gets back, but at least his family is rich and now can bully their tormentor because George kicked his rear end in high school.
Lorraine loving George because she could take care of him left the family miserable, but him beating people for her makes them happy and allows them to fulfill their dreams.

But going back to what this thread is actually about :

Luckily Quora has a baked in chat gpt bot to answer questions like this, which conveniently gets displayed before human answers

Thomas F. Wilson was not the guy under the Crispin Glover prosthetics, he played Biff.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

I once was straight, but now I'm queer
Was cis but now I'm free

I know this is a joke, but this wording is actually great. Everyone can benefit from realizing that gender and sexual preference are fluid.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

fermun posted:

it's from an israeli sketch comedy show and the characters are named wordle and keley. it's painfully bad. give it a watch!
https://twitter.com/LeviYonit/status/1721272323087401428

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Mushika posted:

I know this is a joke, but this wording is actually great. Everyone can benefit from realizing that gender and sexual preference are fluid.

i have some pamphlets on the CERF movement you might want to take a look at

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

wash bucket posted:

This changes everything.

Edit: Forrest and the monkey go to SPACE in the book!?

You should see the sequel.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

i have some pamphlets on the CERF movement you might want to take a look at

I have a feeling that I'm missing something here. I'm sorry, I'm a big idiot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mushika posted:

I have a feeling that I'm missing something here. I'm sorry, I'm a big idiot.

Cis‐Exclusiveonary Radical Feminism

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Nov 8, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fighting the stereotype that Jews are funny.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Cis‐Exclusive Radical Feminism

See, I thought it might mean Cis-exclusionary Radical Feminism. I'd be all about that (and step away, obviously).

But I am a huge dumbass, so please take that with a giant grain of salt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mushika posted:

See, I thought it might mean Cis-exclusionary Radical Feminism. I'd be all about that (and step away, obviously).

My bad.

I was going to look up “TERF” but Wikipedia’s article on it is currently in the stage of the edit war where it is whitewashed as “gender‐critical feminism”.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

"pregnancy inevitably results if you're having lots of sex"

Yes. There is no other way. Please ignore every gay, lesbian, infertile or smart enough to use protection person on the planet. You either have no sex at all, or you have sex and get abortions so you can have more sex. There is no other way.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

big mean giraffe posted:

Or you know a thumb drive you can then do whatever you want with. Pretty sure it used to support facebook too

Yeah okay grandpa. Lemme train my homing pigeon to do that next

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I like abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cloacamazing! posted:

"pregnancy inevitably results if you're having lots of sex"

Yes. There is no other way. Please ignore every gay, lesbian, infertile or smart enough to use protection person on the planet. You either have no sex at all, or you have sex and get abortions so you can have more sex. There is no other way.

Also sex is not fun. Not at all. Nobody ever has actually enjoyed sex, they've just been brainwashed into thinking they did.