Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
forgot one, nextdoor is cutting 25% of staff. good riddance, I hope nextdoor dies. it's easily the most vile and worst out of all "social media". i don't even think you can call it social media, it's pure police blotter and bot-driven propaganda for people who shouldn't be reading the internet to begin with

quote:

Nextdoor Social Media Giant Slashes 25% of Staff in Latest Year-End Layoffs
Nextdoor, the neighborhood-centric social media platform headquartered in San Francisco, is slashing its employee count by a quarter as it looks to weather the economic challenges that have beset social media companies and the tech industry at large.

The company confirmed the employee cutback in a third-quarter earnings report released Tuesday afternoon, with Nextdoor CEO Sarah Friar calling the layoffs “the hardest decision we have had to make as a team.”

RELATED: San Francisco Tech Layoffs Crept Up in October. See Why

In a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing last year, Nextdoor confirmed it employed 704 people. Assuming the number stayed flat, that means 176 Nextdoor employees will get a pink slip. A Nextdoor spokesperson did not provide an exact number but confirmed that almost 200 employees are part of the reduction.

“While our opportunity and belief in the transformative power of community remains unwavering, and our business is financially strong with a healthy balance sheet, we must follow through on our commitment to our shareholders,” Friar said in a statement Tuesday.

Friar said the layoffs—and other cuts—should set the company up to “reach quarterly free cash flow breakeven” by the end of 2025.

Company shares rose 7 cents at the end of the day Tuesday, with its stock sitting at $1.82.

Nextdoor reported a weekly active-user count of 40.4 million, along with $56 million in revenue and a $38 million net loss, in the third quarter of 2023. The layoff round—and other personnel reductions—will save the company up to $60 million a year. It is unclear what severance benefits laid-off workers will receive.

This marks the first round of layoffs at Nextdoor this year but continues a worrisome uptick of layoffs in recent weeks as interest rates remain high and advertising revenue declines.

So far in November, Splunk, Faire and Informatica each let go of hundreds of workers. Meta and Google, both hard-hit by advertising downturns, also conducted smaller layoffs in recent months after massive rounds earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

net work error posted:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1722015840252412164?t=j_PDz-c9sNybUHJeubwIDg&s=19

Seems like a bad way to run a company IDK.

It's funny because all the press for these cars have been overwhelmingly positive.

They'll make up for it with volume, it's fine it's fine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

on second thought paging might be too modern for Frosted Flake, figure out a carrier pigeon to rmc

A History of the Canadian Dollar

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just to further show how totally real and not fake at all the job market is

as an experiment, whenever i get a greenhouse auto rejection, i sometimes immediately go back and reapply for the job because it takes 20 seconds, as greenhouse is a piece of poo poo and a part of the greater problem.

one of these instances happened as recently as a few days ago and i reapplied. i wake up to a phone screen request email sent overnight (with a recruiter on the other side of the planet, no less). also, i think the job has been open for 4-5 months.

great economy, very normal

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

triple sulk posted:

just to further show how totally real and not fake at all the job market is

as an experiment, whenever i get a greenhouse auto rejection, i sometimes immediately go back and reapply for the job because it takes 20 seconds, as greenhouse is a piece of poo poo and a part of the greater problem.

one of these instances happened as recently as a few days ago and i reapplied. i wake up to a phone screen request email sent overnight (with a recruiter on the other side of the planet, no less). also, i think the job has been open for 4-5 months.

great economy, very normal

you should sign up for an obama class.to learn how to mine coal

world domt need more computer touchers ans it'll always need more coal

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1722225202111922657?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ammanas posted:

you should sign up for an obama class.to learn how to mine coal

world domt need more computer touchers ans it'll always need more coal

obamna has a coal class?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's strange seeing people talk about the job market ITT, because sort of the opposite is hiring in the civil service right now. Nobody knows what "AI", "cybersecurity" and "Cyberwarfare" are, or why their specific agency or department needs the capability, but since Trump and the Ukraine War the Liberal government has started the narrative that Russia and China interfered in Canadian elections and also constantly attack the nation, somehow (cyber-ly), so they have created huge amounts of positions with no oversight, because nobody knows what they do, starting at like $120k.

DND, RCMP, Public Safety, CSIS, CSE, CBSA, the Space Agency. Do they all need giant Cyber teams? No. But 15 years ago they didn't all need giant counterterrorism teams either. The headquarters of Shopify is in Ottawa and is considered to be direct competition for talent, so that's what they've based the rate of pay around. Again, these positions have mostly been created because the government bought into their own PR campaign about Cyberthreats, but they have pay, pension, benefits and security.

Also, lol because they require TS, they can't hire foreign workers on visas (or really even immigrants), so if you're a middling computer janitor, just pay your outstanding parking tickets and you're set for life.

fartcx
Dec 29, 2002

never stop posting

Frosted Flake posted:

It's strange seeing people talk about the job market ITT, because sort of the opposite is hiring in the civil service right now.

Also, lol because they require TS, they can't hire foreign workers on visas (or really even immigrants), so if you're a middling computer janitor, just pay your outstanding parking tickets and you're set for life.

Just kidding, they're all IT-02s with CBC language requirements. Your boss got a Masters in Public Policy from Carleton in 1999 and you will have to help him format his PowerPoint slides

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:tipshat:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fartcx posted:

Just kidding, they're all IT-02s with CBC language requirements. Your boss got a Masters in Public Policy from Carleton in 1999 and you will have to help him format his PowerPoint slides

There are two kinds of people in this world: People who went to NPSIA with a Deputy Minister in the 1990's, and people who work for them.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Your view of the job market seems to depend heavily on what you do.

Like for computer touching it seems like director and staff people in my network are playing musical chairs, with a move towards AI stuff - they're generally going in via the backdoor via an existing connection or via active recruitment. If your connections run out you're going in through the front door and triple sulk has well docced how much that loving sucks right now.

Not sure what happens when the music stops, a lot of the places I see people move to will pop like soap bubbles because there isn't a need for 10 companies not named nvidia that arbitrage 100x markup nvidia H100s.

Frosted Flake posted:

best of the best of the best, sir

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But yes, you do have to be CBC bilingual, which requires studying French full time for a year or more, and know how to describe all the beep boop computer stuff in both official languages.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
hmm yes but you lose weed dont you

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Xaris posted:

forgot one, nextdoor is cutting 25% of staff. good riddance, I hope nextdoor dies. it's easily the most vile and worst out of all "social media". i don't even think you can call it social media, it's pure police blotter and bot-driven propaganda for people who shouldn't be reading the internet to begin with

I think everyone in america found out about nextdoor the same way: The shittiest person they knew walked up to them and said "you ever heard of this?"

Buffer posted:

Like for computer touching it seems like director and staff people in my network are playing musical chairs, with a move towards AI stuff - they're generally going in via the backdoor via an existing connection or via active recruitment. If your connections run out you're going in through the front door and triple sulk has well docced how much that loving sucks right now.

Not sure what happens when the music stops, a lot of the places I see people move to will pop like soap bubbles because there isn't a need for 10 companies not named nvidia that arbitrage 100x markup nvidia H100s.

The director level types are probably going to wipe out pretty hard, most of these people have been out of the "working" jobs long enough that they don't know what anything does or how anything works anymore, their best bet for safer employment prospects is to drop back down to a working role but businesses seem to need fewer and fewer of those every year too, and people who have actually configured and deployed something in the last three to five years have way better chances than somebody who told people to configure and deploy things, and insanely better chances than somebody who told people to tell people to configure and deploy things

The people who spent the last three years making half a million dollars a year hopefully made smart investments in that time because those jobs are never coming back and their fallback plan may well end up being "service desk manager", "system administrator(jr)" "junior developer" or "customer care lead"

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Nov 8, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Frosted Flake posted:

I've done too many communisms on the internet and in real life to get TS clearance.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

hmm yes but you lose weed dont you

Technically now you just have to say you never smoked it a day before it was legal.

cat botherer posted:

I've done too many communisms on the internet and real life to get TS clearance.

As things get worse, the pool of people who have never done drugs and have unwavering faith, not just in the country but the economic system, has got to be like four families in the Edmonton suburbs.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
its not easy to get a ts clearance l, isnt it like a whole progress. and do you need to know ai/security going in? or is some of it learned on the job.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

It's strange seeing people talk about the job market ITT, because sort of the opposite is hiring in the civil service right now. Nobody knows what "AI", "cybersecurity" and "Cyberwarfare" are, or why their specific agency or department needs the capability, but since Trump and the Ukraine War the Liberal government has started the narrative that Russia and China interfered in Canadian elections and also constantly attack the nation, somehow (cyber-ly), so they have created huge amounts of positions with no oversight, because nobody knows what they do, starting at like $120k.

DND, RCMP, Public Safety, CSIS, CSE, CBSA, the Space Agency. Do they all need giant Cyber teams? No. But 15 years ago they didn't all need giant counterterrorism teams either. The headquarters of Shopify is in Ottawa and is considered to be direct competition for talent, so that's what they've based the rate of pay around. Again, these positions have mostly been created because the government bought into their own PR campaign about Cyberthreats, but they have pay, pension, benefits and security.

I’ve been trying to tell sulk this but they won’t listen

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

I’ve been trying to tell sulk this but they won’t listen

show me a government job that i can do remotely/without moving and investing months into some certifications that may or may not pan out

every single thing i've seen of those jobs is they take loving forever to process if at all

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

its not easy to get a ts clearance l, isnt it like a whole progress. and do you need to know ai/security going in? or is some of it learned on the job.

nobody is going to pay for your clearance if you don't know the stuff, it's pricey and you gotta mostly sit on a shelf while that happens.

if you already have one, it may well be cheaper and easier to train you on whatever.

but do not fill out an SF86, it is a trap

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol i just checked on linkedin and this job i referred to earlier has been open since late july

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I think everyone in america found out about nextdoor the same way: The shittiest person they knew walked up to them and said "you ever heard of this?"

The director level types are probably going to wipe out pretty hard, most of these people have been out of the "working" jobs long enough that they don't know what anything does or how anything works anymore, their best bet for safer employment prospects is to drop back down to a working role but businesses seem to need fewer and fewer of those every year too, and people who have actually configured and deployed something in the last three to five years have way better chances than somebody who told people to configure and deploy things, and insanely better chances than somebody who told people to tell people to configure and deploy things

The people who spent the last three years making half a million dollars a year hopefully made smart investments in that time because those jobs are never coming back and their fallback plan may well end up being "service desk manager", "system administrator(jr)" "junior developer" or "customer care lead"

Inshallah we get rid of all managers

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Buffer posted:

but do not fill out an SF86, it is a trap

could you explain this to me, an idiot?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paradoxish posted:

Wagoneers take premium and, at least around here, you aren't getting premium for under ~$4.50 unless you're burning a bunch of your pricy gas sitting in line at Costco or somewhere. I realize gas is a little costly in my corner of the northeast, but no one getting 16mpg (probably generous for a daily driven Wagoneer tbh) is doing it for under $3200-3300 per 10k miles.

It's weirdly naive to think that this is a trivial cost for someone who can qualify for a loan on a car like that just because the loan payments are larger than the gas costs.

You're right, premium is a little more around me:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

From what I've seen, facebook is more popular in the suburbs and better for selling things and citizen is a better crime panic app

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Some of my coworkers with the longest commutes drove the least efficient cars. One guy drove a 12mpg Trailblazer 70 miles round trip daily just to the office, I'm sure with other regular driving he was burning 40 gallons a week easily.

Another guy drove in from Kentucky daily in a Ford Expedition, over 110 miles round trip.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

triple sulk posted:

show me a government job that i can do remotely/without moving and investing months into some certifications that may or may not pan out

The certifications don't have to be the newest tech ones either. They were offering a signing bonus for people familiar with microfilm and 1950's mail sorting machines. So much of the government runs on equipment in the basement of the National Printing Bureau or whatever that's run by steam and requires whale oil or whatever.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Nov 8, 2023

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

triple sulk posted:

every single thing i've seen of those jobs is they take loving forever to process if at all

All the certifications for those jobs are useful outside of government roles too though

Buffer
May 6, 2007

no lube so what posted:

could you explain this to me, an idiot?

The SF86 is the form you fill out for a clearance. You disclose like everything, honesty is more important than perfection. The FBI makes a file on you, yada yada.

Past that, you're like, kinda joining the security state, so like once granted you get kinda trapped somewhat adjacent to that world / have some swords of damocles hanging over you related to whatever program until you debrief. This can be not fun.

Oh, and the office of personel management will likely leak all your biometrics and maybe your form.

Buffer has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Nov 8, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

From what I've seen, facebook is more popular in the suburbs and better for selling things and citizen is a better crime panic app

Nextdoor has the real warped weirdos if you're looking for entertainment

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
$133k for dodge challenger lmfao

Then, a $250k dealer add on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

"gonna basically triple this price, no given reason, just because I can"

does the dealer want to keep it for themselves or what

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

nah, when the tank gets to half you put $20 and get it back to full. the average human stops only once a week for gas, so that's only $1040 if you don't let your tank get all the way to empty

I know this because I made the mistake of owning a bmw once
25gal gas tank took for loving ever to fill and only a couple days to drain

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

nah, when the tank gets to half you put $20 and get it back to full. the average human stops only once a week for gas, so that's only $1040 if you don't let your tank get all the way to empty

The Shaq Debate

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

You're right, premium is a little more around me:

this is amazing. didn't think stuff like this was real. 2002 gas prices. thing of beauty.

Glumwheels posted:

lol is all one can say

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
your reward for military service is now a USED dodge challenger

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

a 2023 dodge challenger is clearly a classic car so it’s value can only go up

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nextdoor has the real warped weirdos if you're looking for entertainment

I never go there organically unless I'm trying to curb alert something.

They have a pretty good outrage algorithm. Like they seemed to figure out pretty quickly that I would get pissed at people making GBS threads on pedestrian and bike infrastructure, which happens all the time, so they would keep sending me emails about those kind of posts until it occurred to me to shut them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

I never go there organically unless I'm trying to curb alert something.

They have a pretty good outrage algorithm. Like they seemed to figure out pretty quickly that I would get pissed at people making GBS threads on pedestrian and bike infrastructure, which happens all the time, so they would keep sending me emails about those kind of posts until it occurred to me to shut them off.

it took like 15 unsubscribe and block attempts before i finally stopped getting their loving emails