Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Please make posting inflation adjusted prices without an accompanying real wages graph bannable, tia

Also failing to take into account record breaking inflation over the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I wonder how many years it'll be until the PC version of GTA 6 comes out after the consoles get it this time. 3?
Oh wow yeah I forgot how long it took them last time lol, I guess after 10 years that ridiculous delay got compressed into nothing in my memory.

njsykora posted:

I paid £250 for my 1060 not long after it came out, that felt like a huge amount to pay for a GPU for me at the time.

Not rumours anymore, Rockstar have straight up said there's a trailer coming in December.
Cool, yeah I haven't seen that, seems pretty concrete though who knows when/if a PC version will launch

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

On one hand, PC is the biggest platform for GTA Online, which is by far the most important part of the game in terms of revenue generated. On the other hand, a huge chunk of why GTA Online is so popular on PC is the presence of modded servers, which is something Take Two and Rockstar hate with a passion and will try to lock down much more severely in GTA VI. So it's hard to say where Rockstar's and Take Two's priorities will lie. Hopefully we're past the era of delayed PC ports for third-party games without exclusivity agreements.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

given the extremely long development cycle i wonder if GTA6 will be crossgen or not

it surely started development on last gen but they might have scrapped that

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sony won't certify crossgen games any more so it's almost certainly just PS5/XBS, even if Rockstar do have enough pull to get an exception.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

On one hand, PC is the biggest platform for GTA Online, which is by far the most important part of the game in terms of revenue generated. On the other hand, a huge chunk of why GTA Online is so popular on PC is the presence of modded servers, which is something Take Two and Rockstar hate with a passion and will try to lock down much more severely in GTA VI. So it's hard to say where Rockstar's and Take Two's priorities will lie. Hopefully we're past the era of delayed PC ports for third-party games without exclusivity agreements.
they acquired some of the companies behind modded servers, so we still don't know whether it was to work with them or just the best way of paying some people to take them down eventually

some form of metaverse/rp will inevitably happen, but a lot of it also comes down to whether gta6 will finally have decent server-side validation or whatever all the other things that lead to some crazy online experiences were

i really don't like the direction gta5's business model took, and a lot of companies are probably going to try to mirror whatever gta6 does

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yeah, not interested in GTA6 at all with all the monetization, RSC, hostility to mods and complete focus on multiplayer post-launch.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MarcusSA posted:

Also failing to take into account record breaking inflation over the past few years.

Yup, both points. Doesn't matter what inflation calculators say, if your pay hasn't kept pace, things are less affordable. Which is very much the case.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

njsykora posted:

Sony won't certify crossgen games any more so it's almost certainly just PS5/XBS, even if Rockstar do have enough pull to get an exception.

You're not big braining it enough, it's cross-gen for PS5/PS6.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sininu posted:

complete focus on multiplayer post-launch.

This is by far the biggest problem with GTAV. I've never played online and have no interest.

IV had great expansions

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I totally forgot what a shitshow RSC is on PC, if I wanted to replay GTA5 I'd probably get a :filez: version instead of dealing with that piece of poo poo software again.

They shoved a bunch of story DLC into GTAO eventually but having to go through their macro transaction platform to play it? Just nope.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is there even anything social about RSC? I think it was just a useless launcher last time I used it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If we're talking max GPU budget, I won't spend over $500 going forward. It was nice picking up a used 3080 FE for less than that but I never would have upgraded this gen if I hadn't gotten my current card for free through work

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HalloKitty posted:

Yup, both points. Doesn't matter what inflation calculators say, if your pay hasn't kept pace, things are less affordable. Which is very much the case.

I want to make it utterly clear that I agree with you philosophically. Wage stagnation and inflation are a thing, they loving suck, and if that's a conversation we want to have I'll be right there with you posting graphs of when, exactly, wage growth and productivity increases decoupled (~1975).

That said, it kind of doesn't matter for mid tier to high end GPUs. At the really high end they're practically a veblen good, and even in the stuff marketed at somewhat normal people they're still primarily marketed to high earning professionals. Your typical PC gamer who is building their own system isn't a broke college kid any more. They're a computer toucher pulling well about the median wage who is building a high end machine specifically because they want to chase that high end performance. For that kind of buyer the difference between a $400 video card and a $700 video card is entirely nominal. It didn't have to be this way and it's a thing people should be pissed off about.

For everyone else there are $500 consoles and $800 1080p budget builds using $300 4060s. Not to mention $200-ish 6600s and the growing pool of budget Intel offerings. And as much as people ITT will poo poo on the 4060, it does fill the role of being reasonably-ish priced and having the Nvidia sticker some people want.

I say this as an absolute cheapskate who was just posting about buying used 2080s on ebay. There's just zero loving way I'm spending even $500 on a video card, because even if I can afford it there are other ways I'd prefer to spend my money.

Basically if you're into it just for gaming, if the system is just a means to play the game that you want to play, then, between consoles and budget builds there are some well established solutions in the $500-800 range. Everyone else that they're targeting are the folks who have actually experienced meaningful wage growth (even during the pandemic - K shaped recovery and all) and are largely price insensitive to the differences that we're all lamenting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arzachel posted:

Please make posting inflation adjusted prices without an accompanying real wages graph bannable, tia

https://www.epi.org/nominal-wage-tracker/

Average wage went from 25/hr to 33/hr, which is in line with the inflation.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Former Human posted:

My 1070 cost $300, now 5-6 years later the equivalent tier card costs double, with only 4GB more VRAM too.

The “tiers” are made up and the naming is explicitly designed to make you buy more card than you probably need. That’s marketing, don’t fall for it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lockback posted:

https://www.epi.org/nominal-wage-tracker/

Average wage went from 25/hr to 33/hr, which is in line with the inflation.

Wage growth just finally closed the gap with inflation in the last several months, but wage growth is again trending downward.

https://www.bls.gov/blog/2023/more-ways-to-look-at-wages-and-inflation.htm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1351276/wage-growth-vs-inflation-us/

It’s also important to remember that the Inflation numbers are almost always based off on CPE, which excludes a few key metrics, such as the cost of food, energy (gas), etc.

There are various means to accommodate this, but regardless, the more critical element is that prices of goods and services have typically not gone down, so the inflation is simply compounding on it, which is why what wage growth has been seen, has been vastly insufficient for the majority of workers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Starfield two months after launch, via Steam Beta:

-Added the ability to adjust Brightness and Contrast in the Display Settings menu

(Also DLSS, including FG)

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1722292747481063550

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I mean, gently caress it, slow or not I'll take Nvidia feature integration.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Starfield two months after launch, via Steam Beta:

-Added the ability to adjust Brightness and Contrast in the Display Settings menu

(Also DLSS, including FG)

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1722292747481063550

Might be time to head back to Starfield now that I hit a game ending bug in Alan Wake 2.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Canned Sunshine posted:

Wage growth just finally closed the gap with inflation in the last several months, but wage growth is again trending downward.

https://www.bls.gov/blog/2023/more-ways-to-look-at-wages-and-inflation.htm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1351276/wage-growth-vs-inflation-us/

It’s also important to remember that the Inflation numbers are almost always based off on CPE, which excludes a few key metrics, such as the cost of food, energy (gas), etc.

There are various means to accommodate this, but regardless, the more critical element is that prices of goods and services have typically not gone down, so the inflation is simply compounding on it, which is why what wage growth has been seen, has been vastly insufficient for the majority of workers.

Sure, but it's why your video cards are more expensive and a $400 luxury item in 2016 will cost more in 2023.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bethesda finewine stays winning

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also worth remembering that $175 will get you a brand new card that can run the vast majority of games at 1080p/60fps average with high settings. That is equivalent to a 1080 Ti level of performance. So $700 performance in 2017 is now $175 6 years later.

$275 will get you a card that can match the 2080 Ti. $1199-999 performance in 2018 is $275ish 5 years later.

https://tpucdn.com/review/asrock-arc-a580-challenger/images/average-fps-1920-1080.png (linking cause TPU charts are big)

Those aren't the gigantic leaps of the TNT2 or early Geforce cards, but its not the stagnation and rebrands we had during some of the process stall years (which are about to return in all likelihood).

I've said it many times before but somewhere along the line, Gamers got wrapped around the axle of the naming schemes, the price/power use of the very most expensive cards, and the expectation of massive performance increases every year and many seem unable to untangle themselves from that. Price/performance even at the low end has increased significantly. But if Apple's results out of TSMC 3B are anything to go by, I wouldn't be too hopeful that the trend will continue into the future.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cygni posted:

I've said it many times before but somewhere along the line, Gamers got wrapped around the axle of the naming schemes, the price/power use of the very most expensive cards, and the expectation of massive performance increases every year and many seem unable to untangle themselves from that. Price/performance even at the low end has increased significantly. But if Apple's results out of TSMC 3B are anything to go by, I wouldn't be too hopeful that the trend will continue into the future.

My lukewarm take is that if you're a cost conscious gamer you want to target whatever is roughly equivalent to
the current console gen. Yes, yes, there are optimizations at play on the consoles that make their horsepower stretch further, and yes a lot of games on PC will have extra graphics options that stretch what better hardware is capable of. Looking at the PS5 version of Cyberpunk and what it looks like coming out of a monster 4090 system are going to be different, and there are going to be further differences between that and something that's on-paper comparable to the PS5's GPU like a 2080 or a 3070.

But if all you care about is playing the games, then that's a reasonable level of performance to target. That's the hardware that every major game studio is going to be aiming for for that generation, so as long as you're stacking up to that you're ballpark OK-ish.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

Also worth remembering that $175 will get you a brand new card that can run the vast majority of games at 1080p/60fps average with high settings. That is equivalent to a 1080 Ti level of performance. So $700 performance in 2017 is now $175 6 years later.

I think part of the problem is there are a lot of people ITT who mention the 9700 Pro. Compare that thing to a card from 6 years earlier in 1996 and the difference is insane. GPU progress and transistor density has been slowing for a long time, and it's becoming obvious when someone does their usual 4 year upgrade cycle and realize they can only get 50-75% more performance for the same money as before.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

$275 will get you a card that can match the 2080 Ti. $1199-999 performance in 2018 is $275ish 5 years later.

https://tpucdn.com/review/asrock-arc-a580-challenger/images/average-fps-1920-1080.png (linking cause TPU charts are big)

Are the Arc drivers fixed to the point that it’s responsible to recommend them to the average low-end gamer building a machine? (I mostly see people talking about getting them as a secondary card for video encode, I think.)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Subjunctive posted:

Are the Arc drivers fixed to the point that it’s responsible to recommend them to the average low-end gamer building a machine? (I mostly see people talking about getting them as a secondary card for video encode, I think.)

I don't have first hand knowledge, but from the reviews, I think so. With the caveat that if there are specific games you want to play, you should make sure it runs like... at all, prior to buying an Arc GPU. The A750 and A770 have had some wild sales lately if you play games that it likes.

Wasn't linking that graph to specifically recommend the Arc A580 though, its just the latest and most complete testing numbers from TPU on a big chart.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's still a steady stream of intel driver updates posting >500% performance gains because the performance was so utterly hosed before

they just landed +750% in halo infinite a week ago

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

they just landed +750% in halo infinite a week ago

*Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The biggest problem with Arc isn't neccessarily any particular group of games, but that there's a good chance when a new game comes out it might not work for a while.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

there's no way Intel has a positive margin at that price btw, those cards are just buying market share. I wouldn't include them if you're analyzing inflation or price per dollar or whatever. eventually Intel will either cancel the product or raise prices up to where they're profitable

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Does anyone have experience with or know if Arc cards are good for Plex transcoding?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

The biggest problem with Arc isn't neccessarily any particular group of games, but that there's a good chance when a new game comes out it might not work for a while.

from their recent driver notes

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so i had a series of comical events ending with a nail gun on the roof breaking my 2080ti

is it worth the extra ~200 dollars to go from a 4070 to a 4070ti? 1080p gamer who will maybe at some point move to 1440 eventually

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ramadu posted:

so i had a series of comical events ending with a nail gun on the roof breaking my 2080ti

Wait, go back. I feel like this is important.

To answer your question though, I generally feel like the 7800 XT is a better choice than the 4070 or 4070 Ti unless you're wanting the better RT functions or DLSS.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 8, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VostokProgram posted:

there's no way Intel has a positive margin at that price btw, those cards are just buying market share. I wouldn't include them if you're analyzing inflation or price per dollar or whatever. eventually Intel will either cancel the product or raise prices up to where they're profitable

A770/A750 launched over a year ago and its price has only gone down. I'm not sure why you would exclude them from a price/performance discussion, whether they make money or not is Intel's problem. They might raise prices if they get more competitive with Battlemage, but thats the future.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He means Macro trends. Sure Intel GPUs are cheaper, but there's a reason and if they start catching on they'll just go up in price, they won't bring the market down to them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
You could say the same thing about DRAM and flash right now. Nobody's making money, everybody is laying off, and prices will be going up in the future, not down.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cygni posted:

A770/A750 launched over a year ago and its price has only gone down. I'm not sure why you would exclude them from a price/performance discussion, whether they make money or not is Intel's problem. They might raise prices if they get more competitive with Battlemage, but thats the future.

You exclude Arc GPUs from a price/performance discussions for a somewhat similar reason that you'd exclude a $400 4090 from caoxianhengxiubaihuofuzhuangdian :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ramadu posted:

This is not the sort of story where you just drop the ending on us, friend. :justpost: