Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Aramoro posted:

This might be a unpopular opinion but unless you're using it for fish I don't think you need the speed of a thermapen.

That said I have one and use it all the time.

When Mrs. BrianBoitano was pregnant we were pretty insistent on safe temperatures for all pork meatballs, which means either taking the whole tray to 170 to be safe or just 160 on each meatball. The latter retains more juice but requires testing each one.

The speed is also essential for coffee / espresso brewing where temperatures can swing over the 5 seconds a cheapo thermometer takes to read. Niche but worth mentioning if you want to nerd out over pour over or Flair brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

unknown posted:

Thermapen's #1 feature is the speed of readings - it's the fastest available.

If you are willing to hold the probe in the meat for 5+ seconds, (vs the 2-3s), there's lots of cheaper options.

Accuracy of probes is basically the same across the board, most people don't leave them in the place long enough to stabilize the readings.

Thermapens are so good and fast that you can see the various temperature gradients in the meat you’re cooking as you push it in. 100% would spend the money on another one the moment mine breaks.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Thermapen Warranty Support Trip Report:

I think my issue must happen a lot - the guy I talked to knew immediately what I was talking about, and told me the little switch thing that fell out is used for recalibrating if the temp gets off. He said I could send it in and they'd fix it, but that it would work fine without it. I said I was fine, and he goes on in great detail explaining exactly how to test calibration, and he put a note on my account saying what happened so if I *ever* change my mind, they'll fix it for free. He then went on to ask me what I'm cooking.

I think he was lonely.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Eezee posted:

Is the Thermapen actually worth the 80? Seems like a lot for a thermometer.

I bought mine a couple of years ago for like 40€. Still works, and worth it for sure. 80 seems really expensive for what it does.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I got a Thermapen 10ish years ago for almost 100€ including shipping. Now it is breaking and I wish I had bought 10 cheap pens instead.

Anybody know a quick fix? It is no longer turning on reliably. I had to refold and unfold it several times to get it to turn on for over a year now. Recently it only works if I put pressure on the hinge part from the side, the on switch seems to be broken.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I got a Thermapen 10ish years ago for almost 100€ including shipping. Now it is breaking and I wish I had bought 10 cheap pens instead.

Anybody know a quick fix? It is no longer turning on reliably. I had to refold and unfold it several times to get it to turn on for over a year now. Recently it only works if I put pressure on the hinge part from the side, the on switch seems to be broken.

My old one did exactly that, my solution was to buy a new one when they went on sale. The old one still works if I fanny around with it so I use it to measure the temp of water I'm swimming in.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Frank Dillinger posted:

Thermapens are so good and fast that you can see the various temperature gradients in the meat you’re cooking as you push it in. 100% would spend the money on another one the moment mine breaks.

Eh, you get that on others - just have to push them in slower since the readings take 3+ seconds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

unknown posted:

Eh, you get that on others - just have to push them in slower since the readings take 3+ seconds.
Just remember to say "the slow probe penetrates the shield" while you do it

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Frank Dillinger posted:

If I was rich I would get this one for that specific purpose
https://combustion.inc/products/predictive-thermometer-and-display

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’m at an Indian market. Anyone from the subcontinent know what this is?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’m at an Indian market. Anyone from the subcontinent know what this is?

Not from subcontinent, but that is a coconut meat shaver for getting the white stuff out of shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jLtGkP4jmI

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Works pretty well on skulls too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I’m gonna shave the delicious meat from someone’s skull I’m gonna go like that video and use a power drill

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Thought I was in the OSHA thread for a minute. In fact that should probably be reposted there with no context.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Thought I was in the OSHA thread for a minute. In fact that should probably be reposted there with no context.
There's a lot of stuff here (India) which is a little "ehhh" when it comes to standards of safety one might be used to. Check out boti knives for instance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

If I’m gonna shave the delicious meat from someone’s skull I’m gonna go like that video and use a power drill

now I wonder what that poo poo would sooooouuuuuuund liiiiiike

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I think he was lonely.

He might've just been Midwestern.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There's a lot of stuff here (India) which is a little "ehhh" when it comes to standards of safety one might be used to. Check out boti knives for instance.

Oh are those the floor knives? I've seen videos of them and they look terrifying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I hat to look up boti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BF666PrWwY

This man cutting with a foot knife better than I can cut with a paring knife

Edit: this woman is talking and making eye contact with a friend while using a boti, I would be sweating on the vegetables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky713rmjorA

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2023

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Gonna put in my recommendation for this Ken Onion knife sharpener tool.

I typically sharpen my knives with stones and they always came out great but never as sharp as when I got them. Since I haven't worked in restaurants in nearly a decade now, I don't sharpen my knives as frequently and my skill with the stones has diminished. Now getting stones out to sharpen knives is a hassle, not to mention friends and family come to me to sharpen their knives, so there's a volume issue as well.

So with Thanksgiving coming up I decided to get this tool after seeing some reviews and hearing from professional knife makers who use it. I want my knives to be razor sharp for the dinner we have planned.

It arrived yesterday and was really quick to set up. It comes pre-loaded with a low-grit band and comes with several other bands up to around 6000 grit. You can get additional bands online with additional grits. I lowered the motor speed to the lowest possible as recommended by the instructions.

The directions are very simple to follow: set the angle, place the knife inside and pull gently as the motor runs. It gives you a guide for different types of knives, from kitchen knives, utility knives, scissors, etc. It can even be modified out of the box to work as an angle grinder for especially large or thick knives if you prefer. The bands are easy to remove and replace

After about 5 minutes with my knife, a simple Victorinox 8" work horse, the results were really incredible. I went on to sharpen every kitchen knife we have including my $250 Togiharu gyuto from my restaurant days and they're all spectacularly sharp, some of them even sharper than when I got them.

I could not recommend this tool more. It's small, maybe a little bigger than a rectangular tissue box, meaning you can easily pack it away and pull it out when you need it. It's super easy to set up, just put it on a flat surface and plug it in. It's easy to use and takes almost no time at all to put a fantastic edge on an even completely dull knife. The belts are easy and fast to swap out, taking a few seconds to change. You can alter the angle to get the exact edge you want by simply turning a dial. Out of the box it comes with everything you would need for typical knives, though additional attachments exist as well.

For $140 the only issue I worry about is the motor burning out, but we'll see if that happens. Some pro knife makers I know swear by these and will often buy multiple and attach different bands to them so they have a quick and easy sharpening station from low to high grit.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 10, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Does the 5 minutes include changing bands? I'm mighty tempted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have this one from Work Sharp and man I just cannot seem to get a super good edge with it. I must be doing something wrong because everyone else loves theirs. Holding the knife wrong? Pulling too quickly/slowly? Bad belt selection? Just being a useless human who doesn’t deserve nice things?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

BrianBoitano posted:

Does the 5 minutes include changing bands? I'm mighty tempted.

Including changing bands. It really only takes maybe 5-10 seconds to change a band.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think the Ken Onion tool is what the local sharpener I went to had when I dropped my knives off. The knives came back razor sharp but also had light scratches down the middle from the guidance system. I have beater knives so I don’t mind too much, but it would suck to have it happen to a high value or sentimental knife. Maybe it’s easy to avoid when you sharpen your own stuff though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

Gonna put in my recommendation for this Ken Onion knife sharpener tool.

I inherited one of these from a kitchen I worked in and it rules.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

There's an All-Clad sale going on that's better than their normal ones, and the 2-qt saucepan is on sale for $90. It's my very favorite pan ever and I use mine constantly. They have a more expensive one with packaging damage for $110.

And yes, that's really All-Clad's actual (outlet) website. Give it a burner email.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“All products sold through this site are genuine All-Clad products, even if the engravings typically found on All-Clad products are not present. “

lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That site is legit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, just funny that it says exactly what a fake site would say.

Actually counterfeiters would probably copy the engravings.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you buy a knockoff version of something these days, the pictures on aliexpress won't have the fake corporate logo but the item you receive will. It's kind of funny if you legitimately just wanted some cheap polarized sunglasses

RevDrMikey
Nov 16, 2023

VictualSquid posted:

Their service line is cool so they'd probably help you out. Lots of repair videos online. Thermapens have a metal wiper contact which is the weakest part of the unit. It enables the "open probe to turn on" function so they keep it. Especially if you bake, fine powder can get in there and disrupt the contact. Now it's a moisture magnet so it's eating the metal. It's pretty easy to open up. De-crap it like any old electronic. Reassemble. Lots of guides online about cleaning contacts.

I had a 3rd? gen model go wonky after a baking spree. It's not 100% reliable even after some fixes, but opening and closing it a couple times is usually fine. Got a 4th? gen because lots of improvements. Kept the 3rd gen for road trips or whatever.

You don't need a thermapen in the same way you don't need some expensive hand-forged Japanese chef knife. But having it does make your day that much better. And the quality really is there.

smackfu posted:

Yeah, just funny that it says exactly what a fake site would say.

Actually counterfeiters would probably copy the engravings.

Counterfeit All-Clad really is a huge problem right now. Which is not helped at all by their factory sites often looking like you're using the wayback machine to view a scam from 1990's.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have a breville toaster oven but my sister is offering me a cuisinart toaster oven that has an air fryer feature for free. What do you guys think

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I've had a Thermapen mk4 for a few years now and I love it, but I really wish they made a left-handed one.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I did not realize how much all-clad stuff cost new. My wife's aunt bought us one of their dutch ovens as a housewarming gift and drat, that's like $300

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I have a breville toaster oven but my sister is offering me a cuisinart toaster oven that has an air fryer feature for free. What do you guys think

Hell no

Dubious "air fryer" feature (which I don't think is nearly as functional as a dedicated air fryer, similar to my fancy oven's crummy "air fryer" feature) in exchange for an inferior-in-all-ways toaster oven? Thanks but no thanks.

I loooooooove my Breville toaster oven and feel strongly about it

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Can Confirm, Cuisinart Air Fryer mode on the toaster oven is barely any better than convection and typically takes 30% longer to finish frozen french fries than the air fryer directions on the packaging. Also it is no good at toasting bread.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a recommendation for an induction-capable 10" nonstick skillet that's especially not prone to warping? I have an All-Clad* that's great but it's pretty warped on the bottom after just 1 year of use.

*I say it's an All-Clad, but i got it for like $20 at a HomeGoods so I wouldn't be surprised if it was either a counterfeit or a factory reject or something like that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a recommendation for an induction-capable 10" nonstick skillet that's especially not prone to warping? I have an All-Clad* that's great but it's pretty warped on the bottom after just 1 year of use.

*I say it's an All-Clad, but i got it for like $20 at a HomeGoods so I wouldn't be surprised if it was either a counterfeit or a factory reject or something like that.

Recommending this t-fal again. Mine is still perfectly flat after several years, though obviously I never blast it at extreme heat because of the teflon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7301928614784896302

You ever daydream about what if you studied harder in school and had a bigger house with a big back yard where you could fit a 10 gallon fryer and a churro gun

I’d have a storage shed just for cooking equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
On thermometer talk - I'm considering an infrared thermometer for cooking oil, my cast iron, and dicking around.

Any suggestions? Any features I should be aware of? Just right now I'm wondering if they (all or some) use a visible laser to show where you're reading. I also notice that unlike most kitchenry, they all seem to have the awkward shape of a phaser that got it's nose bitten off. Not quite sure where/how I'd store it.

Decline posted:

A newly minted home cook here. Really enjoying it and wish I had started much earlier in life. Having a blast expanding my repertoire and trying new things. Would love some recommendations on the following pieces of equipment:

- Blender.
- Food processor
- Stainless steel pot/pan essentials. Could use advice on putting together the essential line up.
- Nonstick for eggs

I'm going to second what another said about the blender.

IMO - don't get a Vitamix yet.

I use a simple Nutribullet (Magic Bullet) and it's been able to do everything I throw at it. It's compact and has a 2 cup and 4 cup reservoir. That's more than enough for anything I would ever blend. Usually use it for salsas, tahini sauce, and...idunno. Like - what are you guys actually blending? Hosting margarita parties at night and making an everything shake in the morning?

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 19, 2023