Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Secretary of the Treasury is responsible for formulating and recommending domestic and international financial, economic, and tax policy, participating in the formulation of broad fiscal policies that have general significance for the economy, and managing the public debt. The Secretary oversees the activities of the Treasury Department in carrying out her major law enforcement responsibilities; in serving as the financial agent for the U.S. Government; and in manufacturing coins and currency.

https://twitter.com/SecYellen/status/1721889473322258914?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

mawarannahr posted:

The Secretary of the Treasury is responsible for formulating and recommending domestic and international financial, economic, and tax policy, participating in the formulation of broad fiscal policies that have general significance for the economy, and managing the public debt. The Secretary oversees the activities of the Treasury Department in carrying out her major law enforcement responsibilities; in serving as the financial agent for the U.S. Government; and in manufacturing coins and currency.

https://twitter.com/SecYellen/status/1721889473322258914?s=20

DO IT FOR THE US DOLLAR!!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.wsj.com/us-news/americas-population-projected-to-shrink-by-2100-census-figures-show-3c4d60cc?mod=mhp

Who was the guy who wrote that One Billion Americans book? Because that ain't happening.

The Census Bureau has revised its population estimate downward by tens of millions. This is the first time they have estimated a peak and decline of the USA's population too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

anime was right posted:

by next year its gonna be the worlds greatest spirit halloween

it's vegas so i assumed it would eventually turn into a big giant boob

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's vegas so i assumed it would eventually turn into a big giant boob

The Great Pumpkin finally arrives

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Who was the guy who wrote that One Billion Americans book? Because that ain't happening.

Wasn't it that Matt Yglesias dipshit

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it has to be huge change if they bailed on nuscale. think about all the guarantees they had for that project and how far into it they were.

what is nuscale? Google turns up articles about a modular nuclear power reactor, but you usually seem to be talking shipping and cargo so I’m guessing something else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Akratic Method posted:

what is nuscale? Google turns up articles about a modular nuclear power reactor, but you usually seem to be talking shipping and cargo so I’m guessing something else.

it's the nuclear reactor, yes

Bar Ran Dun is saying that the people behind NuScale have seen the writing on the wall and are bailing out because the long-term prevailing market conditions have spooked them, for a project that takes as long to mature as a nuclear reactor does (even a small one), and they're comparing it with a 2008 experience of a nuclear-powered container ship proposal also scuttling itself as it saw what was about to happen to the economy then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wasn't it that Matt Yglesias dipshit

This reminds me of the time I went to a surplus store here in the PH and I found stacks and stacks and stacks of his unsold books

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Xaris posted:

e: also i would use the big D- word, not the r-word. there's some substantial differences in today than during The Great R-word.
mods please change my name to The Big D-Word

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OhFunny posted:

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/americas-population-projected-to-shrink-by-2100-census-figures-show-3c4d60cc?mod=mhp

The Census Bureau has revised its population estimate downward by tens of millions. This is the first time they have estimated a peak and decline of the USA's population too.

is this citizens only ?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn't lobster fluctuate as a luxury item in American cuisine? It was considered trash for poors during parts of the 19th century and again during the Great Depression iirc.

Also, historically, luxury food in America was the most labour intensive as a status symbol. In particular, gelatine and finely chopped or diced food. So what happens when home kitchen appliances become common in the 50's? Every middle class dinner party has gelatine with olives and finely diced meat set in it, and it becomes gauche and kitsch overnight.

Lobster is a luxury item because the meat turns to rubber very quickly after lobster dies. The costs of shipping live lobster, especially in the late 19th/early 20th centuries was outrageously expensive

When people think of lobster that's "trash for poors", iirc they'd just throw a bunch of lobsters in a vat and mash them together, shells and all, for prison food

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ArmedZombie posted:

you can say the same thing about america

that’s because americans are brits

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Have any of the new generation of kitchen gadgets lowered the value of luxury foods?

Instant pots and air fryers aren't about letting every dinner party host serve the same food as the Savoy, I feel like they haven't had the same impact as the appliances of the 1950's did. KitchenAid stand mixers are still a prestige item, and I don't think it's a coincidence they have reintroduced the 1950's colours.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Have any of the new generation of kitchen gadgets lowered the value of luxury foods?

Instant pots and air fryers aren't about letting every dinner party host serve the same food as the Savoy, I feel like they haven't had the same impact as the appliances of the 1950's did. KitchenAid stand mixers are still a prestige item, and I don't think it's a coincidence they have reintroduced the 1950's colours.

they definitely reduce the time and effort needed to get closer to restaurant quality. that's not quite the same thing, but if you're very dumb and refuse to learn things, an air fryer gets you closer to restaurant fried food without needing to have a full fryer or use your oven correctly. an instant pot is basically just a more approachable pressure cooker.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Justin Tyme posted:

byd seagull (a popular chinese EV) curb weight is 2700 lbs and an f150 (one of the top selling cars in the us, so all over the road) is double that, also they started mass production of sodium ion batteries this year which eliminates the lithium problem

just saying

hell the corolla's curb weight is ~3,000 lbs

compare apples to apples - the F150 is a pickup truck, the corolla is a midrange sedan, the seagull is a subcompact economy box

The BYD Seagull's curb weight is 2700 lbs

The Toyota Yaris' curb weight is 2300 lbs

The Chevy Spark's is 2200.

500 lbs is a lot of weight for a small car

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Nov 9, 2023

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

OhFunny posted:

Elon was right. Get to loving everyone.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

euphronius posted:

is this citizens only ?

No, total population.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i will never preheat an oven. that's the oven's job

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
the dj khaled of oven foreplay over here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OhFunny posted:

No, total population.

then it’s not accurate

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Xaris posted:

e: also i would use the big D- word, not the r-word. there's some substantial differences in today than during The Great R-word.

like me, the economy is both depressed and retarded

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

OhFunny posted:

finally some good news

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The United States experiencing a birth crises will come to haunt the peoples of the world.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

can we get a perma on this creep thanks

or even an endless chain probe

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Nov 9, 2023

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Xaris posted:

also i would use the big D- word, not the r-word. there's some substantial differences in today than during The Great R-word.

Bad language or abuse I never, never use, whatever the emergency; though "bother it" I may occasionally say, I never use a big, big D-!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's the nuclear reactor, yes

Bar Ran Dun is saying that the people behind NuScale have seen the writing on the wall and are bailing out because the long-term prevailing market conditions have spooked them, for a project that takes as long to mature as a nuclear reactor does (even a small one), and they're comparing it with a 2008 experience of a nuclear-powered container ship proposal also scuttling itself as it saw what was about to happen to the economy then.

The latest writing on the wall is their pilot project getting cancelled.

NuScale got their SMR reactor approved back in january and are increasingly realizing they aren't going to ever sell any of them. IIRC Bar Ran Dun called this early, like when the reactor got approved early.

Hilariously, nuscale were supposed to be one of the climate change saviors as recently as a month ago.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

were in this

going to this

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Glumwheels posted:

I’ve seen a bunch of home bakers brag about using Betty Crocker box mixes for their cakes they charge $100 and more for (including for weddingswhich go up to $1k or more). If you’re going to charge that much for your time it isn’t going to cost you much to mix flour, sugar, baking soda and some salt vs use a cheap box mix that contains corn syrup and other garbage. Your cake will taste way better too.

Those people are the worst.

I saw my first wagoneer last night, huge and ugly as gently caress. I’ve been seeing a ton of brand new rivians, still don’t understand with all the tech layoffs how so many people are casually buying $100k EVs right now.

IANAB but I understand that the better mixes have small amounts of chemicals/emulsifiers that result in desirable properties (texture particularly) that are basically impossible to replicate at home or at small-scale

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

getting it clear involves lots of skimming scum off the top and pouring through cheesecloth and strainers

that’s strange it shouldn’t, all
you need is some egg whites - plop them in the stock and all the little poo poo adheres to it, then you skim that off and have a crystal clear consommé

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1722607722825437437?s=20

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

literally a suicide pact with the US

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

that's 367% in dog terms

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

we have put them in their place

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

what if you used an accurate measure

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OhFunny posted:

good

one day we'll look back on the literal millions of people slavering like psychopaths about how we needed to hit the high score and generate as many new people as possible, and we'll view them as the loving freaks they are

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

USA
USA
USA

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DrPossum posted:

that's 367% in dog terms

How many Royales with Cheese is that?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol remember the talk about Russia having an economy the size of New York’s and just being a “gas station for Europe”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Xaris posted:

your fault for doing the rookie rube mistake of checking a bag instead of bringing everything carry-on

Good luck carrying your gun on