Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ps5 is at least 25 lbs of potatoes to the scanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm currently dealing with a national head of a sales division for a chemical line who can't read an SDS and has no concept of what is or is not a hazardous chemical.

This man is managing products that if not properly handled will create chlorine gas clouds, or lead to people drinking contaminated water and he's subliterate at best.

that is way more common than one would think. I used to encounter these types of folks regularly. they’d be extremely pissed when I failed their cargo. Generally citing 49 CFR and/or IMDG at them where they’ve gone wrong works. if they were extremely terrible I followed by asking when they last received the required function specific hazardous materials training and that would usually shut those types right up.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

ps5 is at least 25 lbs of potatoes to the scanner

I was doing a big dinner

110723_8
Nov 8, 2023
thanksgiving dinner at the soup kitchen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm currently dealing with a national head of a sales division for a chemical line who can't read an SDS and has no concept of what is or is not a hazardous chemical.

This man is managing products that if not properly handled will create chlorine gas clouds, or lead to people drinking contaminated water and he's subliterate at best.
I can plausibly lie to the government about needing chemicals for farming purposes, slightly curious how much fun poo poo I could order off an idiot like this if I had the desire and a lot of money to waste (lol that's never happening)

Also like everyone else I'd like to know how someone makes it that far into sales with that amazing skillset without getting arrested for something

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Nov 9, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Islamic Shock posted:

I can plausibly lie to the government about needing chemicals for farming purposes, slightly curious how much fun poo poo I could order off an idiot like this if I had the desire and a lot of money to waste (lol that's never happening)

Also like everyone else I'd like to know how someone makes it that far into sales with that amazing skillset without getting arrested for something

u cant make it far in sales if you have product or industry knowledge

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that is way more common than one would think. I used to encounter these types of folks regularly. they’d be extremely pissed when I failed their cargo. Generally citing 49 CFR and/or IMDG at them where they’ve gone wrong works. if they were extremely terrible I followed by asking when they last received the required function specific hazardous materials training and that would usually shut those types right up.

My professor ran out of some important rare and volatile chemicals needed to complete his work. To order it from the approved supplier would take months, as it needs to be refrigerated at all times to reduce the risk of spontaneous combustion and the manufacturer never stored any at their site, due to the fire hazard.

So he found a Chinese importer who could get it for him. It took a week, and came in a plastic bag labeled "food colouring". It was more than 99% pure, and he could remove all the impurities fairly easily.

This was back in 2012 or so. I get the feeling that's not really viable anymore.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If you think about it all chemicals are food coloring

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

If you think about it all chemicals are food coloring

Even the colourless ones?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

Increases translucency haven't you ever used a paint program before

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Especially the colorless ones.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

oh great, the "is alpha a color" derail

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I love my white-and-light-gray-checkerboard cereal, it is clearly the best part of breakfast

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Evilreaver posted:

I love my white-and-light-gray-checkerboard cereal, it is clearly the best part of breakfast

Yeah I even spring for the name-brand Chex sometimes when it's on sale.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Votskomit posted:

This was back in 2012 or so. I get the feeling that's not really viable anymore.

yeah Tianjin happened in 2015 and the Chinese tightened up significantly on SOLAS / hazardous as a consequence. it used to be a real mess and is less so since that event.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

oh great, the "is alpha a color" derail

no alpha is a sexuality duh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Alpha" is apparently what marketers have decided is the name for the generation that comes after zoomers and that's incredibly funny

I hope they get a dumb thing tacked on top like we got "millennial" or gen z got "zoomer" but I'm especially excited for the ones after them who have to be loving beta bitches entirely because this one ad agency in 2009 decided that this is just how we're going to name generations from now on

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Nov 9, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Waiting for the omicron variant of the generation

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Good news, we are all members of the omega generation

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
fortnite generation

roblox generation

screentime generation

all better names than alpha

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's a placeholder, just like Y was after gen X but millenial got pitched and adopted instead. Zoomer will probably stick better than Z but we'll see.
I don't think 'the games that were popular when they were 0-10' is the best naming convention, but we'll see. Maybe fortnite or roblox will become olympic sports or v bucks will become the default currency in their lifetime.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Nov 10, 2023

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kreeblah posted:

I got a new TV recently (for the first time in well over a decade), and it's never getting a sniff of the Internet. It's going to be a dumb TV and like it, with all updates being done via USB.

gently caress getting ads on it or whatever other bullshit they want to spew at me while it phones home about my viewing habits and who knows what else. I don't need more advertising in my life and there are enough other companies invading my privacy that I don't need my TV doing it, too.

You can still absolutely use a crt tv.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
That might work great for your retrogaming or dvds, but even on the xbox 360 I remember there was illegible text and issues with screen edges on CRTs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

That might work great for your retrogaming or dvds, but even on the xbox 360 I remember there was illegible text and issues with screen edges on CRTs.

Yeah, I guess that would suck. I was thinking more about just watching the local tv stations.

You'll have to get one of those little boxes that lets it pick up the new signal.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

It's a placeholder, just like Y was after gen X but millenial got pitched and adopted instead. Zoomer will probably stick better than Z but we'll see.
I don't think 'the games that were popular when they were 0-10' is the best naming convention, but we'll see. Maybe fortnite or roblox will become olympic sports or v bucks will become the default currency in their lifetime.

I think they should be named after covid since it's probably the single biggest generation-defining event, so far anyway.

Coronababies or something.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, I guess that would suck. I was thinking more about just watching the local tv stations.

You'll have to get one of those little boxes that lets it pick up the new signal.

Nobody uses a TV to watch TV these days, grandpa

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Nah, threat is that the copy is so good you can't tell that you're not the copy, so the torture might start at any second. I explained the stupid premise behind it more fully in the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Still makes no sense because cause and effect don't work that way.

There's no need for a future computer to waste processor cycles torturing sentient copies of you after you're dead because that can't affect the actions you already took in the past even if you did anticipate it. By the time it exists it either got what it wanted from you or it didn't, stimulating you is a waste of energy anyway.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dorks who consider themselves too smart for religion inventing a god they have to appease

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bidenbabies

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dorks who consider themselves too smart for religion inventing a god they have to appease

Religion but instead of a command to love your neighbor it's a license to be a selfish dickhole because odds are a trillion to one that you are the only sentient in the metaverse and everyone you meet is a soulless NPC.

Oh hey all virtue in the tech bro religion consists of one maxim: give all the money in the world to the tech industry to create computer God, weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

VitalSigns posted:

Still makes no sense because cause and effect don't work that way.

There's no need for a future computer to waste processor cycles torturing sentient copies of you after you're dead because that can't affect the actions you already took in the past even if you did anticipate it. By the time it exists it either got what it wanted from you or it didn't, stimulating you is a waste of energy anyway.
Yes, I believe that the fundamental assumption at the heart of it is what Yudkowsky calls "timeless decision theory" which is complete nonsense that he made up but, as I understand it, basically says that actually the future can effect the past so the AI has to do the torture or the threat won't have worked. That's the real reason it's dumb. Everything is built on this idea that cause and effect can happen backwards.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Technically that theory also means you should destroy AI and the people who make it to prevent RB from ever happening.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's wrong with right button?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

skooma512 posted:

Technically that theory also means you should destroy AI and the people who make it to prevent RB from ever happening.

This is a much better idea that will actually improve the future.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

What gets me is the sheer egocentrism of believing that one random rear end individual in 20XX matters to an AI hundreds or thousands of years in the future. Take all the dumb poo poo as given wouldn't the AI be more likely to torture the people immediately in its past, like its creators, or people who had the most effect on computing at the beginning, like Zuse, von Neumann, or the shithead that snitched on my boi Turing? Pretty sure Turing deciding not to get laid one night would affect the path of AI development thousands of times more than Elon_Lover69 dedicating his entire life to chatgpt.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

timeless decision theory sounds like they tried to describe normal decision making after reading wikipedia about control theory

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Yes, I believe that the fundamental assumption at the heart of it is what Yudkowsky calls "timeless decision theory" which is complete nonsense that he made up but, as I understand it, basically says that actually the future can effect the past so the AI has to do the torture or the threat won't have worked. That's the real reason it's dumb. Everything is built on this idea that cause and effect can happen backwards.

It's not that the future can affect the past, it's that if you operate based on the very narrow and specific and stupid logical framework big yud and friends do, and in the future there's an AI that knows you operate this exact same way, since both you and the AI are perfect logical machines you must operate as if the AI is basically reading your mind, since obviously your perfect logic is 100% deterministic so the AI can simulate it perfectly, and your idea of the future AI is 100% accurate to what will actually happen, and both you and the future AI know this.

In other words it's just god, but god doesn't exist yet, but he will and you know for sure what he will be like and he'll know you know so you better start acting like it now. I think that's what I love so much about it, it only makes sense (or even functions at all) if you already buy into their whole incredibly stupid worldview, but if you do it's a certainty.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

pygmy tyrant posted:

timeless decision theory sounds like they tried to describe normal decision making after reading wikipedia about control theory
More likely they didn't know it existed. Most of the wank on that forum is "Ok, so my only exposure to concepts is the elementary version given as an intro or a summary of that intro. It doesn't reflect reality, so here's what I've bolted on."

Like Roko uses an 'advanced' version of the prisoner's dilemma he created using timeless decision theory. "if you're engaging in a prisoner's dilemma that's asynchronous and the other party is in the future they already know what the party in the past will do, so will always win.
If you're the party in the past, and know that they're acting in the future with perfect knowledge, this will sway your decisions. The AI can therefore influence you."

As was pointed out that's already how decisions are made. Also that's also not the loving prisoner's dilemma game.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh I just realized what this is: they reinvented the Utility Monster thought experiment, an entity so good that even infinite torture of infinite people is worth it to give the Utility Monster a minor benefit.

Except instead of concluding that this idea reveals a problem with utilitarianism, they not only completely bought in, but convinced themselves it really exists and terrified themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

More likely they didn't know it existed. Most of the wank on that forum is "Ok, so my only exposure to concepts is the elementary version given as an intro or a summary of that intro. It doesn't reflect reality, so here's what I've bolted on."

My favorite example of this is their fuckin' like, Ethics 101 understanding of utilitarianism, where the answer to the thought experiment "is it better to have [some impossibly huge but finite number of people] get briefly inconvenienced by dust in their eyes, or to torture one man horribly for 50 years straight", which they think is so obviously the second one that if you don't agree you must just be stupid.

Also they originally phrased the part I put in brackets as like, "3↑↑↑3 people" or something similar using Knuth's up-arrow notation for describing very large numbers, because making sure everyone knows they are Very Smart Boys that read a wikipedia article on Knuth's up-arrow notation once is far more important than having a clear and well-defined premise for your thought experiment.