Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Platystemon posted:

You can have any 1st level spell in real life, and cast it once per day. What spell are you picking? (self.DnD)

Redditors are idiots who would go for goodberry, speak with animals, or unseen servant. The pro strat here is detect poison and disease

But also,

I've seen that Simpsons episode. Detect poison and disease would be an information overload for sure lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Okuteru posted:

The propaganda machine on Twitter is incredibly strong. You mention ivermectin once, a bot links a store front to buy it or links studies about how it works better than Pax. Incredible

Free speech.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

I somehow doubt they will be allowed to take air samples in airports, but broadening the amount of diseases tracked would be great.

quote:

https://time.com/6331503/airport-covid-flu-rsv-tracking/ posted:

Here’s How the CDC Will Track Viruses Over the Holiday Travel Season
(..)
In the latest iteration of the program, passengers at four airports—John F. Kennedy in New York, San Francisco International, Logan in Boston, and Dulles—volunteer to swab their noses and Ginkgo genetically analyzes any positive tests at its labs for the presence of SARS-CoV-2, influenza, and RSV.
(..)
In coming years, the program will add testing for dozens of other viruses and bacteria, as well as for mutations that signal that viruses or bacteria have become resistant to existing treatments. Eventually, Friedman says her team is hoping take air samples from airports to provide additional data on pathogens, and to bolster the program’s ability to know where in the world pathogens are coming from, and whether the strains entering the country pose any threat to public health because existing treatments won’t be able to control them.

One group of such pathogens that will eventually be screened include the parainfluenzas, which can contribute to croup or pneumonia, and can be dangerous for young babies. “There are no public genomes for some of these respiratory pathogens—none for parainfluenza 3, for example, and none for human metapneumovirus—so we will be getting the first sequences that we are able to look at more closely,” says Casandra Philipson, a computational biologist at Concentric. “We’re excited about establishing a global baseline dataset for these viruses. The more we make public, the more we can contribute to better general knowledge about these pathogens.”
Wild that there wouldn't be public genomes for some of these, that seems like such a low bar. Somehow public health still manages to disappoint.

Surveillance testing to check which specific diseases are circulating (before some even gain a major foot hold) also seems like an incredibly obvious idea with incredibly obvious advantages but it looks like they only started in 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

I somehow doubt they will be allowed to take air samples in airports, but broadening the amount of diseases tracked would be great.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
entrust it to the tsa and have hundreds of whatever their equivalent to corporal is running around with garbage bags

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1722349593537474638

Maximum centrism activated.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Platystemon posted:

You can have any 1st level spell in real life, and cast it once per day. What spell are you picking? (self.DnD)

Detect Poison and Disease

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.a 3-ply surgical mask dangling under the target's chin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you don’t watch tv look up the new moderna tv commercials

they are dire

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

at one point the commercial says

“the pandemic is over, but Covid 19 is not over “

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

at one point the commercial says

“the pandemic is over, but Covid 19 is not over “

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1717507127214764510?t=aPY4WVGG2-fQ_EM3Xzidvg&s=19

Bedbugs is mild and endemic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not typically dangerous lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

most of the time, nuclear bombs don’t do anything

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I still haven't found a mask that eliminates glasses fogging so I understand it at least.

Are you getting a good seal around your nose? I don’t have any fogging issues when I’m wearing an Aura or KF94 style mask. KN95s are hit and miss.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I still haven't found a mask that eliminates glasses fogging so I understand it at least.

Anyway, congenital syphilis is back:

The rest is more america.txt.

duckmasks. N95 duckmasks.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Well, the follow-up to Night in the Woods has effectively been canceled. One of the two main developers has severe heart failure, suspected to have been brought on by A Virus. loving sucks-- for him, first and foremost, but Night in the Woods is one of my top 5 favorite games.

In less depressing news, it doesn't seem like my wife had Covid after all. 5 tests in a row were negative, she never developed a fever, and she's pretty much recovered from whatever it was. I never got it, thankfully. Wearing a mask at home and at work kind of sucked, but I'll take it over being debilitated for a few days, hands down.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is the moderna ad https://www.ispot.tv/ad/5yN5/spikevax-covid-19-you

I dare you to watch that and not conclude civilization is over

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Civilization is now an individual consumer choice. Be civilized or not, you do you!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

i'm so comforted that the commercial told me that the pandemic is over

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Are you getting a good seal around your nose? I don’t have any fogging issues when I’m wearing an Aura or KF94 style mask. KN95s are hit and miss.

I get terrible fogging in Auras. Even with a perfect seal (I tried the double-sided tape strips) around the nose, that flat upper part with all the little square dents/melt spots just absolutely blasts exhalation up towards my eyes. They might as well be an elastomeric with the vent upwards directly into your eyes for how bad they are. In fact I think they are the worst mask I've ever tried for fogging.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol what the gently caress is this headline. Are they trying to scare people out of vaccinating their kids?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

an owls casket posted:

Well, the follow-up to Night in the Woods has effectively been canceled. One of the two main developers has severe heart failure, suspected to have been brought on by A Virus. loving sucks-- for him, first and foremost, but Night in the Woods is one of my top 5 favorite games.

In less depressing news, it doesn't seem like my wife had Covid after all. 5 tests in a row were negative, she never developed a fever, and she's pretty much recovered from whatever it was. I never got it, thankfully. Wearing a mask at home and at work kind of sucked, but I'll take it over being debilitated for a few days, hands down.

Noooooo, poor Scott :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I thought we weren’t allowed to talk about people with names getting sick

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol what the gently caress is this headline. Are they trying to scare people out of vaccinating their kids?

well poo poo wish I had Moderna for my kid instead of Pfizer

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
My Aura fogs up my glasses every now and again.

The literature on whether this is actually an indicator of a poor fit is naturally, everywhere: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8664036/

I'd swap to a different mask but apparently I'm a hideous mutant whose face doesn't fit any of the expensive respirators. Envomask, Flomask, all of these "will fit nearly every face", all fit way worse than an Aura for me.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Yes, yes they are.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My Aura fogs up my glasses every now and again.

The literature on whether this is actually an indicator of a poor fit is naturally, everywhere: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8664036/

I'd swap to a different mask but apparently I'm a hideous mutant whose face doesn't fit any of the expensive respirators. Envomask, Flomask, all of these "will fit nearly every face", all fit way worse than an Aura for me.

You can just do a fit test if you’re concerned and the materials cost about the same or less than a single one of the reusable half/quarter respirators. With an Aura you’re always going to have some water vapor that rises through the top flap of the filter material

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

an owls casket posted:

yeah I'm doin this right now, I've had ~*mild*~ throat irritation and kinda... laryngitis? over the last few days

first day I stayed home from work and holed myself up in my office, two negative tests, next morning negative test, negative test every morning since Tuesday.

the weather changed, I sat out with a fire for a long time, I interacted with my niece and nephew, etc blah blah we do what we can. Being sick in any form sucks rear end though, I have enough stress!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sonatinas posted:

well poo poo wish I had Moderna for my kid instead of Pfizer

Naw it sucks I got my kid Moderna for her first shots and now we can’t get her boosted because nowhere Carrie’s the little kid Moderna shots.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

euphronius posted:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

notably more what? Sausages? Airplane safety brochures? Chinchillas?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I can't believe all the people not catching tuberculosis resulted in tuberculosis immunity debt.

https://twitter.com/TelGlobalHealth/status/1721929495647588403

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/covid-vaccine-doesn-t-increase-194618323.html posted:

Covid vaccine doesn’t increase early miscarriage risk in men or women, study finds
:confuoot:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Another individual public health economics management hit!

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2023-11-09/majority-of-workers-at-americas-nursing-homes-unvaccinated-against-flu-covid posted:

Majority of Workers at America's Nursing Homes Unvaccinated Against Flu, COVID
(..)
Looking at 2023 data collected at nearly 14,000 nursing homes nationwide, researchers found that that fewer than one in every four (22.9%) health care workers had received up-to-date COVID vaccines, while less than half (47.1%) had gotten the latest flu shot.
(..)
Health care workers at hospitals had better vaccination rates against the flu in 2023 compared to those working at nursing homes: 81% had gotten the latest shot, Bell’s team found.

However, up-to-date COVID immunization was very low among hospital staff, with just 17.2% having gotten the latest vaccines, the study found.
(..)

I am kidding - of course - these numbers are much higher than the average, so this is actually good news :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Some trans men can still get pregnant.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pyrolocutus posted:

I can't believe all the people not catching tuberculosis resulted in tuberculosis immunity debt.

https://twitter.com/TelGlobalHealth/status/1721929495647588403

Seems bad.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Platystemon posted:

Is there a bunch of viruses going around or something? (self.houston)

The Duality of Man

driving solo while wearing a mask rules because you know some weepy dipshit is gonna see you and get upset about it

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also applies to just wearing a mask in general 🙌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted: