Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

That Works posted:

hah thats awesome, what a cool thing to visit. I like that the takamura statue is all lovely welds and stuff on it, really nails it.

yeah i would almost be disappointed if it was well-crafted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1438

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oof 7 pages.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

Bisse posted:

Spoken as someone with max half a year of martial arts experience:

This is mostly only true in anime fantasyland. There is a little bit of truth to it, but for the most part, in a strong punch like an uppercut, the punch is delivered softly with high velocity, and muscles fully engage and apply force on contact. All shortening the distance by moving toward the punch will do is guarantee a hit. For big swings like jabs or wide hooks, moving toward the punch has little effect on punch velocity, but does increase your own velocity toward the punch, likely resulting in higher impact force. You could approach and stop before the hit, but that would need to be a big movement, and then if you can read your opponent that far ahead you are much better off picking any of your multiple other much better, less riskier, and less stamina-consuming defensive options.

It can be a form of defense though, for example when sparring with mitts, you want to move your mits forward just before the fist hits to counteract the force and reduce stress on your arms. But that’s with mitts - mitts don’t get organ damage. When kicks are involved, it is theoretically possible to tense your abs and move towards a stomach kick, resulting in less impact spreading across the body, and helping you keep your feet on the ground. But done improperly in a match all this will do is, also, just guarantee a hit and increase the damage.

Basically a boxer who makes a habit of headbutting the fist is on the highway towards early retirement.

I actually separately learned this (since making that last post) while looking up how to correctly throw a jab, where it was emphasized not to move forward during the motion because it'll just make any incoming punches hit you harder (and that this is a bad habit many people have).

So it seems like the main reason it's dumb is that you're not "making the punch connect early" so much as "making the punch connect while you're moving towards it, effectively increasing its relative speed."

Edit: it sounds sorta like countering yourself lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 31 hours!)

no idea what pro wrestling move term Ippo is referencing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

“The Big Boot” is pretty self-explanatory.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

canoshiz posted:

Got a chance to stop by Morikawa's IRL gym today!

View from the entrance floor, the second floor also had a mat space where people were training. It's worth noting that this gym seems to be exclusively for pros and aspiring pros. I believe they also run a youth program.

There's Ippo paraphanelia all over the place.

Got a picture with the man himself too.

The lady at the front desk told me to check out the manhole covers that they designed for the city a short walk away from the gym.

That's really awesome. Wish I had a chance to go when I was in Tokyo in February but I spent the day I could have gone trying to hunt down Winning gloves.

I also didn't have the animus to go since I couldn't train there as well. They only take people that want to go pro and youth boxers that want to compete in amateur fights. Pretty intense gym but I guess it's popular enough that they can cover the bills that way.

Next time.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

GateOfD posted:

no idea what pro wrestling move term Ippo is referencing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk88gWfQfp4

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1439

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this is stupid good at this pt

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this rocks

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm loving dying, :lmao:

These two are great

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Mashiba is my main character

Terper posted:

God I am really excited for Mashiba to fight THE MOST EVIL MAN IN THE WORLD

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Itagaki has a smart phone? I thought this was still in the 90s or early 00s? Doesn't look like a old flipphone either

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lmao good chapter.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hahahaahahahaha my god i love these two

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this is such a good little joke

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I expected Ippo to savant his way through that but this is much better

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Itagaki has a smart phone? I thought this was still in the 90s or early 00s? Doesn't look like a old flipphone either

I thought his family was poor as gently caress too, this greatly confused me as well

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

“Kidnapped my sister”
“You went back to orthodox”

Chapter is gold

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

lmao this is so good. Ippo actually getting kinda mad but then still being apologetic

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I love that Ippo seems a lil bit hurt when he gets sucker punched while giving a compliment. Was cute.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Mashiba, who'd totally respect Ippo if only he didn't hate him so much

Ippo, who'd totally hate Mashiba if only he didn't respect him so much

such a fun dynamic. they both absolutely loving know better, but they just can't stop being them

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm a bit surprised Ippo figured it out right away but that just made this chapter better.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i enjoy that Ippo doesn't figure out a solution and doesn't instantly fight to the level of the champion Mashiba is facing. He's strong to be a world class level sparring partner, but not more than that

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just goes to show Ippo still has more to learn but he's getting there and that is what excites me. Gone is the ippo who would tank and let his "iron" body let him win.

Course right now these two are being stupid chucklefucks but I love it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Love that a few chapters ago, it’s like woah, Mashiba matured and is willing to approve Ippo.

But no, he was just holding back waiting for the chance to jump Ippo later

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GateOfD posted:

Love that a few chapters ago, it’s like woah, Mashiba matured and is willing to approve Ippo.

But no, he was just holding back waiting for the chance to jump Ippo later

He outright said that. After Ippo left he outright said he was tricking him and laughed evilly to himself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation

UnderFreddy posted:

i enjoy that Ippo doesn't figure out a solution and doesn't instantly fight to the level of the champion Mashiba is facing. He's strong to be a world class level sparring partner, but not more than that

Yeah, it'd be kind of unbelievable if Ippo was just suddenly able to easily defeat Mashiba, who is one of the top world fighters in his (higher) weight class.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

lol, lmao, also: omg lol

Mashiba: ”You KIDNAPPED MY SISTER and tried to RAPE HER, i’m gonna loving KILL YOU I HATE YOUR GOD DAMNED EYES SO MUCH, loving DIE ALREADY”
Ippo: “Wow, you’re so strong!! I have to be more helpful!!”

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
But the best part is that Ippo actually figures out Mashiba is mad about Kumi and thinks "but we're both adults." Legitimately wasn't expecting that. I expected him to stay oblivious.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah the ”but we’re both adults” followed by the barbarian slugfest makes it even better. Although yes, Ippo deserves a little bit more credit than usual for actually thinking seriously about a relationship related issue for once, and even allowing himself to get mad about it and stand up for himself, before his punchbrain reactivated.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looked like Ippo threw a counter there too

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I like Itagaki being jealous because he can't fight serious Ippo and because Ippo isn't 'dating' his sister.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Larry Cum Free posted:

I like Itagaki being jealous because he can't fight serious Ippo and because Ippo isn't 'dating' his sister.

I thought Itagaki had the hots for Kumi as well?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

itagaki recording and going to upload it online...is that allowed?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

That Works posted:

he did but conceded in his internal monologue that it wasn't going to happen

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I have 0 recollection of that :stare: Didn't his sister take a run at Ippo at one point though?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Takes No Damage posted:

I have 0 recollection of that :stare: Didn't his sister take a run at Ippo at one point though?

yeah, early on Itagaki had a crush on Kumi and his sister had a crush on Ippo

like just about everything Itagaki does, it wasn't very memorable. he decided quite early on that since Ippo was clearly into Kumi, he was just gonna bottle his feelings up and shove them way deep down and never ever show it in any way. maybe it'll come up again if the weird complex he has about Ippo ever comes to any resolution

on the other hand, most of his sister's appearances involved her openly pursuing Ippo and making a particular point of trying to get in Kumi's way all the time. if you even remember that he has a sister, that's what you're going to remember, because that's basically all she ever did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Ippo

https://mangadex.org/chapter/f8c41a00-a196-414a-902e-c607df7d1bc9