Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cutedge posted:

That's better than I expected. Hmm.

i should stress the "up to" bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I will hold strong for deck v2. This upgrade looks great but not worth it for the money to me personally.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

oh neat oled screen how cool.. thanks steams

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Now to decide if I get the limited edition or not...

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

Is the body size the same? Can I put my same d-brand case on it?

Quoting myself here but dbrand has already updated to say it works with the OLED one so I guess the body is the same with a bigger screen.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think it is. If it was it would be nearly perfect imo.

This is hella tempting that’s for sure

I got mine last year and I hate that I am tempted by this; Actually got myself an OLED TV recently and became a convert.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm just looking forward to spending another week assembling the perfect emulation setup, then never playing any of them ever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm just looking forward to spending another week assembling the perfect emulation setup, then never playing any of them ever.

What else is the Deck for?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there an Emulation Setup Simulator game yet, so I can buy that and then not play it?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

jokes posted:

What else is the Deck for?

I believe the standard joke is

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chin Strap posted:

Is there an Emulation Setup Simulator game yet, so I can buy that and then not play it?

If you have a deck you're living it

Seriously though, one of the weirder moments for me was when I bought my Ally, I spent some time getting Windows updated and optimized, then I spent some time getting Steam to work proper. Then I moved all my emulated poo poo over. Then I set up all the emulators and all the games I play. Then everything worked and I didn't know what to do. So I swapped out the SSD (a lot easier than SSD swapping the Deck) and did it all again. Then it was time to just play video games.

Then I kinda didn't do poo poo with the Deck or the Ally for a while. Nowadays I play Darktide, etc., mostly docked but usually in bed. Emulators on business trips, etc. I've been playing WoW too and getting it to work well with a controller is a big tinkering lift, thankfully. It's like I want to fix it rather than use it.

Why am I this way?

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 9, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The part of the Digital Foundry review that sold me was the general combination of efficiency, battery, cooler and quieter performance.

For me the heat and fan noise was just a compromise too far, on top of the performance of the games themselves, when it comes to the big recent AAA stuff. Just made things feel like a shitter experience overall. It sounds like this model has just enough overall headroom to reduce those kinds of gripes.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the one hand, I don't think I"d go for it just to get the oled and the bigger storage without a more serious hardware refresh. Don't get me wrong, I"m sure the oled screen is amazing, but the LCD screen is solidly good enough and is a pretty pleasant experience.

This is the rare upgrade where I'm not salty at all that I got one on sale just recently, but am genuinely happy for the people who are just getting in and can get a somewhat nicer one.

This is where I am too. It's a neat update but the current screen does me just fine.

Did they mention any APU upgrades beyond 6nm vs 7nm? Same part on a smaller node or a different APU altogether?

I'll upgrade for a significant GPU bump but don't think that's going to happen for a year or two.

I would love VRR but I question if it would be useful at all at the 30-40fps I target on the Deck, which is one of the Deck's biggest advantages next to that 800p screen (really happy they're not going to higher resolutions and driving up the CPU/GPU/power budget needed). Most VRR screens I have used or seen have 48hz and the like as their cut off for VRR to work. That's too high a refresh rate for what I'm trying to do with the Deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

v1ld posted:

This is where I am too. It's a neat update but the current screen does me just fine.

Did they mention any APU upgrades beyond 6nm vs 7nm? Same part on a smaller node or a different APU altogether?

I'll upgrade for a significant GPU bump but don't think that's going to happen for a year or two.

I would love VRR but I question if it would be useful at all at the 30-40fps I target on the Deck, which is one of the Deck's biggest advantages next to that 800p screen (really happy they're not going to higher resolutions and driving up the CPU/GPU/power budget needed). Most VRR screens I have used or seen have 48hz and the like as their cut off for VRR to work. That's too high a refresh rate for what I'm trying to do with the Deck.

i haven't seen anyone properly test it, but from what i have read, apple pro motion devices have a vrr range from 24 to 120hz.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This, right here, is the upgrade I'm looking forward to.

2-3 years down the line will be the perfect time to sell this one on and roll the money into Deck 2. I imagine they'll still be worth a couple bills, as they'll still be loving nice handhelds for indies and anything from 2023 or earlier.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I am going to be bad with money and sell my 1TB OG for the limited clear fancy one. Wonder what it'll sell for now that a lot of used ones are probably hitting the market soon...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm curious if the bright orange thumbstick bases might be distracting when playing on the limited edition...

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone know of any good services that I can order delivery of US Specific items (such as this) to overseas?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This, right here, is the upgrade I'm looking forward to.

2-3 years down the line will be the perfect time to sell this one on and roll the money into Deck 2. I imagine they'll still be worth a couple bills, as they'll still be loving nice handhelds for indies and anything from 2023 or earlier.

Same but I'll be annoyed if it ships without an OLED screen again

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well I suppose I’ll get it and give me LCD model to my girlfriend.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What are the chances I'll actually be able to order one on the 16th and it arrives around december 1st? I remember all these hardware launches being notoriously bad in terms of availability.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This shouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as the original launch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Neat. Not enough of an upgrade for me even though the screen on the OG (touch more than anything) isn't great. Doesn't really make sense as I use moonlight for any heavy lifting and emulation/undies for the rest. Battery wise in both cases it's more than enough currently.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cutedge posted:

I believe the standard joke is

Yeah

Party Boat posted:

But for no more than five minutes! Then say "wow, I can't believe I'm playing Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on a handheld!" and move to another game.

And yeah I'm hoping that the supply / demand issues will be very different this time around. Not that I'll be buying one because if I do I'll be sleeping on the sofa for a week

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you gotta jump in early if you want to get the special edition whiney fan

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Think I could get away with selling the original 512 for ~350? If so I'd probably buy this and swap it out because the steam deck is 99% of my play any more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

After watching that DF video that OLED is tempting as hell.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Did the latest preview update change the way you set the screen frequency and framerate limit? Looks like it’s only one slider to set them both now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loudog999 posted:

Did the latest preview update change the way you set the screen frequency and framerate limit? Looks like it’s only one slider to set them both now.

That’s what they said in the DF video.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a setting to bring back the old (separate) way.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I'll be "fine.... just fine" with my Old and Busted loser Deck, but I like that new slim case. Any recs on more travel friendly cases?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh no, right before Christmas and I’ve got mine all customized, but it’s exactly what I wanted in a mid-gen refresh…

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

GigaPeon posted:

I'll be "fine.... just fine" with my Old and Busted loser Deck, but I like that new slim case. Any recs on more travel friendly cases?

The dbrand case with the travel cover is excellent.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Oh shoot, looks like the Ally I just bought it going back to BestBuy. This refresh looks to fix nearly every complaint about the Steam Deck. Did any reviews mention anything about improved speakers? The Ally has absolutely amazing speakers. The best I've heard on any laptop or mobile, seriously the entire sound engineering team at ASUS deserves a raise.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s a setting to bring back the old (separate) way.

Ok, I didn’t watch the video but did find the setting. Thanks for the heads up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i haven't seen anyone properly test it, but from what i have read, apple pro motion devices have a vrr range from 24 to 120hz.
Idk about the apple but most screens that go that low will double or triple frames up to 48 or 72hz to bring it within the actual vrr range of the panel, and if you vary around the point where it starts doubling you get a noticeable refresh rate change. That point is usually around 40-50hz

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Chin Strap posted:

The dbrand case with the travel cover is excellent.

Is that the one that's like a phone case? Was kinda more thinking a zipper one.

$75 for that and the cover seems pricey for what I want, but I bet I say that until I drop the darn thing.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

GigaPeon posted:

Is that the one that's like a phone case? Was kinda more thinking a zipper one.

$75 for that and the cover seems pricey for what I want, but I bet I say that until I drop the darn thing.

It is surprisingly durable for what it is, the grip part is great and the cover is sturdy and protects the triggers well. I broke my R1 by dropping my 512 in the stock case from 5' off the ground, I think this case would survive that way better and much smaller.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

lostleaf posted:

Oh shoot, looks like the Ally I just bought it going back to BestBuy. This refresh looks to fix nearly every complaint about the Steam Deck. Did any reviews mention anything about improved speakers? The Ally has absolutely amazing speakers. The best I've heard on any laptop or mobile, seriously the entire sound engineering team at ASUS deserves a raise.
DF (and LTT) said Valve bragged about better speakers. DF said yeah it's the good speakers + better and LTT said they didn't really tell the difference so YMMV but it seems to be "Just as good or better" level vs "WOW HOLY poo poo IT'S AMAZING".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DF do a good job of selling the upgrade, will say I'm tempted after watching the video. The screen is still the big draw of course, but they have made other improvements.