Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

haven’t had any fogging issues with my Powecome KN95’s but we will see once the weather gets cold.

also, got my Flucelvax flu shot today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Add the Night in the Woods guy to the spreadsheet

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1721936535434518951

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Which one of you is this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I can't believe all the people not catching tuberculosis resulted in tuberculosis immunity debt.

https://twitter.com/TelGlobalHealth/status/1721929495647588403

The Shocker

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

euphronius posted:

if you don’t watch tv look up the new moderna tv commercials

they are dire

The Moderna company is not happy with me--that's okay, I'll still keep drinking that garbage.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
anyone got a lead on cheaper bulk rapid tests? the Groupon ones I saw are expiration dates less than a month from when I'll receive them...

Starting to consider just dropping the cash for a metrix (is that the one that's current?) reader and tests at this point.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bedpan posted:

duckmasks. N95 duckmasks.

blox duckbills are a bit better than Auras for me as far as fogging goes but I mostly go out with contacts on these days anyway.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Went to a major hospital in St. Louis today for glaucoma tests (I'm too young for this poo poo, WTF). Covid still existed there last year, but it's goddamn OVER now. Maybe 5-10% masking in a massive facility. I know it's nothing new, but still dumbfounding. Nasty hacking coughs surrounded the large cafeteria where medical staff were unmasked and eating.

I'm taken back for my appointment. First, the Optometrist came in with no mask. Asked her to wear one and she kindly did. Then, a tech took me to a separate room for a battery of visual field eye tests. She's like "OH forgot you wanted us to mask! I'll go find one" but was also nice about it. Finished said tests, put me back in exam room. 15min later, whoops, she screwed something up and another tech has to run me through the same tests a 2nd time.

This dude walks in sporting a simply massive head and beard with a mask only covering his nose, lol. He takes me back to the testing room and there's another patient wet-coughing all over the eye test machine. Tech says we have to wait for them to finish, I say I'm not using the machine that a sick person is coughing all over. He mopes about having to turn on another machine, but it takes all of 2 minutes and we finish the tests.

Was just struck by how weird it is that Ziyad Al-Aly (doc that led the big VA COVID study) runs a long COVID clinic like 2 miles down the road from this hospital, but docs, patients, everyone are just willingly inhaling this poo poo all day long. I left feeling very Jokerfied.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

and spikevax that soul

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Add the Night in the Woods guy to the spreadsheet

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1721936535434518951

wow, so much baseless speculation. Mods?

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
(Bootsy Collins voice) Spikevax that body

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

euphronius posted:

here is the moderna ad https://www.ispot.tv/ad/5yN5/spikevax-covid-19-you

I dare you to watch that and not conclude civilization is over

lmao

Lots of wet coughs at the office today; I'm sure it's fine though.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Maybe this could help some people? I don't know all of the details, but seemingly 10 Cue tests for free as part of a study?

https://x.com/emily_rj/status/1722728407539110145?s=20

(More details upthread, but she uses the wrong company name at first.)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Everything is so deeply stupid.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I don't think it's been posted yet, but this upcoming Tuesday November 14th there's going to be a (hopefully) big push for 1 billion dollars in Long COVID funding. Not that our leaders care about us in the slightest, but might as well try and at the very least bother them and remind them that people give a poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Not_Recovered/status/1720827983626121396

A call / email guide
https://longcovidmoonshot.com/

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

an owls casket posted:

In less depressing news, it doesn't seem like my wife had Covid after all. 5 tests in a row were negative, she never developed a fever, and she's pretty much recovered from whatever it was. I never got it, thankfully. Wearing a mask at home and at work kind of sucked, but I'll take it over being debilitated for a few days, hands down.

period flu is a thing, fwiw. it's not contagious and it sucks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

call_of_qthulhu posted:

My wife just blew off a work day over it

she does the birth control thing where she skips the placebo week and when the period actually kicks in it sucks pretty bad

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Naw it sucks I got my kid Moderna for her first shots and now we can’t get her boosted because nowhere Carrie’s the little kid Moderna shots.

if you're in the US, you can mix and match for 6mo+. Addl info here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4039477&pagenumber=287&perpage=40#post535566826

Edit: if same brand is unavailable, you can get the other brand

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Oh gently caress, the Moderna 2023-2024 vials have more juice than is supposed to be administered so overworked folks may be dosing more than approved https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#Interchangeability

quote:

Healthcare providers who administer the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (2023-2024 Formula) to individuals ages 6 months through 11 years should ensure the correct volume of the vaccine (0.25 mL) is withdrawn from the vial and administered to the recipient. Discard vial and excess volume after extracting a single dose.

Lol lmao

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

call_of_qthulhu posted:

Yeah, I think she's had something like that a few times in the last couple years. This seemed different from what I remember of those times, but who knows?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"I feel more and more like one of those Japanese soldiers who weren't told the war was over"

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Man, I already filled up my brain on everything related to viruses, I just don't want to do the same thing all over again with fungi this time. There's just limit to how much information I can hold in my mind

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Some trans men can still get pregnant.

It’s true, but I’d be surprised if they had statistically useful numbers here.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Oh gently caress, the Moderna 2023-2024 vials have more juice than is supposed to be administered so overworked folks may be dosing more than approved https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#Interchangeability

Lol lmao

Skill issue.

Moderna got the concentration right. If doctors aren’t drawing the correct amount into the syringe, that’s on them.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Nov 10, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia weekly update: this week is the first week where the covid data is reported monthly and not weekly and the data is still trickling in and being pored over by my data guy on Twitter but it's rough. Apparently the reporting on covid cases is better (which is pretty much useless, given the state of testing) and the info that is usually more indicative of the current situation is worse:

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1722822302201790859#m

Reporting on outbreaks in aged care is maybe the best indicator we've currently got and that's looking bad:

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1722837348797603929#m

Now we gotta sit around and wait for next month's update to see whether things are getting better or worse

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I know I belabor the point, but watching history aggressively be rewritten as we're living through it is wild.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

shazbot posted:

NOBODY CARES

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Insanite posted:

just got pre-k enrollment fliers from my city

10 months until no precautions i take matter wooooohooooooo
as someone with a kids in daycare/elementary, i welcome you to the club
lol, lmao
:theroni:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Everything is so deeply stupid.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"I feel more and more like one of those Japanese soldiers who weren't told the war was over"

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

did they hire the onion to make this commercial

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Thoughts on this study? Looks valid to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10582888/

"Our findings suggest that COVID-19 contributed to the 2022 surge of RSV cases in young children through the large buildup of COVID-19-infected children and the potential long-term adverse effects of COVID-19 on the immune and respiratory system."

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Dating is impossible now lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/katepri14608408/status/1722750318197481584?s=46

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Friend works in sales and is back in the face-to-face conference and events stuff. Doesn't mask, nose spray or vax anymore.

Every trip feels like watching someone going over the top again in the World War 1 trenches.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
a friend died yesterday. her husband said she “just got sick and died”

I don’t care if it’s Covid, flu, rsv, whatever, just general pestilence, but I do care that when you get sick you can’t just go get a test that tells you what have and get some sort of treatment where you don’t just die in your sleep to some completely preventable bullshit.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
vaccine manufacturers: we filled each vial with 6 doses instead of 5. pay us.

also vaccine manufacturers: we overfilled the vial, use it once then throw it away

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Good news! WHO recommends pill for people in the low low - mere 1 in 200 hospitalization - risk category.

https://www.who.int/news/item/10-11-2023-who-updates-guidelines-on-treatments-for-covid-19 posted:

WHO updates guidelines on treatments for COVID-19

WHO has updated its guidelines for COVID-19 therapeutics, with revised recommendations for patients with non-severe COVID-19. This is the 13th update to these guidelines.

Updated risk rates for hospital admission in patients with non-severe COVID-19
The guidance includes updated risk rates for hospital admission in patients with non-severe COVID-19.

The current COVID-19 virus variants tend to cause less severe disease while immunity levels are higher due to vaccination, leading to lower risks of severe illness and death for most patients.

This update includes new baseline risk estimates for hospital admission in patients with non-severe COVID-19. The new ‘moderate risk’ category now includes people previously considered to be high risk including older people and/or those with chronic conditions, disabilities, and comorbidities of chronic disease. The updated risk estimates will assist healthcare professionals to identify individuals at high, moderate or low risk of hospital admission, and to tailor treatment according to WHO guidelines:

High: People who are immunosuppressed remain at higher risk if they contract COVID-19, with an estimated hospitalization rate of 6%.
Moderate: People over 65 years old, those with conditions like obesity, diabetes and/or chronic conditions including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, kidney or liver disease, cancer, people with disabilities and those with comorbidities of chronic disease are at moderate risk, with an estimated hospitalization rate of 3%.
Low: Those who are not in the high or moderate risk categories are at low risk of hospitalization (0.5%). Most people are low risk.

Review of COVID-19 treatments for people with non-severe COVID-19
WHO continues to strongly recommend nirmatrelvir-ritonavir (also known by its brand name ‘Paxlovid’) for people at high-risk and moderate risk of hospitalization. The recommendations state that nirmatrelvir-ritonavir is considered the best choice for most eligible patients, given its therapeutic benefits, ease of administration and fewer concerns about potential harms. Nirmatrelvir-ritonavir was first recommended by WHO in April 2022.

If nirmatrelvir-ritonavir is not available to patients at high-risk of hospitalization, WHO suggests the use of molnupiravir or remdesivir instead.

WHO suggests against the use of molnupiravir and remdesivir for patients at moderate risk, judging the potential harms to outweigh the limited benefits in patients at moderate risk of hospital admission.

For people at low risk of hospitalization, WHO does not recommend any antiviral therapy. Symptoms like fever and pain can continue to be managed with analgesics like paracetamol.

WHO also recommends against use of a new antiviral (VV116) for patients, except in clinical trials.

The update also includes a strong recommendation against the use of ivermectin for patients with non-severe COVID-19 :thunk:. WHO continues to advise that in patients with severe or critical COVID-19, ivermectin should only be used in clinical trials.

They are also bravely taking a stance against the use of Ivermectin... unless?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:canada: Good article (and I love the headline) worth a read, however as it is rare to see a Canadian focus, I've cut it down to highlight that for Canadian readers. Nevertheless I recommend the read.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2023/11/10/Update-COVID-Threat/ posted:

We Interrupt This Mood of Denial to Update COVID’s Threat
Recent studies on long COVID and more show why, beyond vaccines, masks and air filters remain vital.
(..)
Although many Canadians act as though the pandemic has ended, the airborne virus that causes COVID-19 continues to evolve at an amazing pace with devastating consequences for both individuals and the public at large.

The pandemic may no longer be a major conflagration but it still kills about 140 Canadians a week while morphing into a steady viral blaze sustained by dirty air, waning immunity and overt political indifference.

What was once a giant wave of acute illness has become a series of often unpredictable wavelets driven by ever-changing variants that can cause chronic illness. Long COVID, a disabling health event that can affect multiple organs and destabilize the immune system, now affects millions and continues to claim new victims.
(..)
Long COVID has taken a huge toll among health-care workers. Anywhere from six to 10 per cent of Quebec’s health-care workforce, for example, has been derailed by long COVID.

Seventy-one per cent of health-care workers impaired by long COVID reported that their state of health now interferes with their ability to function. Another 16 per cent said that they are often unable to work. Multiply this data across the country and then ask: How sustainable is this trend?
(..)
Tara Moriarty, a University of Toronto infectious disease expert and co-founder of COVID 19 Resources Canada, recently tallied the imperfect data, and it is bracing. She calculates that about one in every 23 Canadians is now infected with COVID. We are not at the low point of the pandemic in Canada. To the contrary, compared with a previous time during the pandemic, infections are 25 times higher and the rate of long COVID is 19 times higher. Meanwhile the hospitalization rate is 13 times higher and deaths are 25 times higher.

In the middle of October, Moriarty calculated that COVID patients occupied about nine per cent of intensive care beds and 21 per cent of hospital beds across the country. (The average hospitalization rate during the pandemic has been seven per cent.) The estimated cost of this sustained viral assault is $274 million a week.
(..)
Governments peddling denial
Most governments seem intent on diminishing or hiding these realities. They avoid any talk about the effectiveness of masking in public places or the value of improved ventilation and filtration in schools and workplaces. It’s a demonstrated fact that the virus travels through the air in tiny smoke-like aerosols that can infect people at much greater distances than six feet, but the natural responses to this reality are not encouraged by our leaders.

Alberta, for example, now pretends that COVID is just another mild respiratory disease and reports its doings along with influenza and RSV activity.
(..)
A Canadian study also found steep increases in diabetes after COVID infections. University of British Columbia researchers examined a large population of British Columbians (more than 600,000) and discovered that people infected with COVID had a 17 to 22 per cent higher risk of developing diabetes within a year compared with uninfected people.

Concluded the researchers: “SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with a higher risk of diabetes and may have contributed to a three per cent to five per cent excess burden of diabetes at a population level.”
(..)
The research now confirms that infections can even leave some people more vulnerable to reinfection. A startling Canadian study published this year looked at 750 vaccinated elders at long-term care facilities where COVID deaths continue to be high. They found infection with Omicron in its first wave actually made these inmates more susceptible to reinfection in subsequent waves. Counterintuitively, these people were more prone to reinfection than patients who had never experienced COVID.

“Our current vaccine schedules are based on the assumption that having had an infection provides some level of protection to future infections, but our study shows that may not be true for all variants in all people,” noted Dawn Bowdish, an immunologist and one of the study’s authors.
(..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:pwn:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-inquiry-boris-johnson-rishi-sunak-b2443316.html posted:

Boris Johnson wanted to be injected with Covid live on TV, inquiry told
Covid inquiry also heard how Boris Johnson would rather ‘let the bodies pile high’ than order second lockdown