Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm going to buy the sick colorway steamdeck if I can get it because I'm a moron with zero impulse control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steam Dock got a small price cut too, going from £80 down to £70 here in the UK. Man if a lot of the stuff in that DF video doesn't have me looking at that 512gb model though. Just need to ignore my 10 year old mattress and clearly unrelated deteriorating sleep quality a bit longer.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Substandard posted:

I'm going to buy the sick colorway steamdeck if I can get it because I'm a moron with zero impulse control.

But what if the bright thumbsticks distract from the deep blacks of the OLED?!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

v1ld posted:

I understood the background of how the keys work but not your intent. I think what you're trying to do is have a single button press that emits: 4, pause 0.1 secs, control. I.e., you want that button to turn on the lens view then the mod?

Long press won't work for this as a subcommand since when you have a regular and a long press binding only one of them will fire - in this case the long press.

You could try this instead, not sure if it'll work and I can't test right now: see if you can add two commands to your preferred button, make them both be regular press and check they both fire when the button is pressed - use two other commands that are easy to verify as activating, not lens/mod keys.

Then add a 0.1 or similar fire start delay to the control key bind. So one press fires both, but game sees control a short while after seeing the 4.

Yeah sorry re-reading that I was rambling, let me use a real example to clarify.

Current process:

Starting from an unmodified initial view:

Press 4 (referred to as its SD key L4 going forward). L4 view applies. L4 toggles this view on and off with subsequent “Regular Press” presses. If L4 view is active and ctrl (R4 going forward) is pressed, R4 view applies, superseding L4 view. Importantly, R4 view is maintained without the need to hold down R4. Subsequent “Regular Press” presses of R4 return the view to L4 view, not to the unmodified view (escape already works to move from R4 view to unmodified view and does not need to be accounted for in this workflow).

Ideal outcome:

I bind some set of actions to L4 that allows me to use current L4 and R4 views at will and without needing to hold down L4 to achieve any given outcome (I cannot physically hold this or any key down long enough to make use of the view).

Next best outcome if ideal isn’t achievable:
R4 view is the most important aspect so being able to send a single “Regular Press” L4 that the game interprets as me having pressed 4 and then subsequently Ctrl, in that order, is workable.

Binding L4 as you’ve suggested: Command 1 is bound to the keyboard action “4”. Regular Press, no fire delays, “Cycle Commands” and “Toggle” are both set to off and “Interruptable” is set to on. This works as expected in game. I then “Add extra command” to L4. Command 1 under L4 remains the same as described above. Command 2 under L4 is bound to the keyboard action Control Key (left control was selected, if that matters). All settings for Command 2 are identical to Command 1 with the exception of Fire Start Delay being modified to 100.

Result: Pressing L4 applies only the keystroke of 4. Pressing L4 again with a single press will toggle off L4 view, i.e. game interprets this as only sending the 4 keystroke. However, if instead of single pressing L4, you hold down L4, the Ctrl keystroke is interpreted by the game. Once released, however, the view returns to an unmodified view.

After modifying the fire start delay on Command 2 to 1000ms, pressing L4 will toggle the view as though the game interprets a 4 keystroke. 1 second later the game interprets a ctrl keystoke followed immediately by another ctrl keystroke. It flashes on and immediately off. Again holding down L4 when already in the L4 view will allow access to the R4 filter.

I think this is getting out into the weeds again, and chasing down why this is happening in exactly this way doesn’t seem fruitful because I’d rather try to spend time emulating the ideal outcome scenario than troubleshooting a problem with the concession scenario. there was some kind of problem when i bound command 2 to ctrl and set it as a long press instead, but i can’t remember all the details right now. I’ll beat my head against that some more later

e: yeah i don’t know what’s going on. the first thing i tried last night was to bind L4 to 4, extra command L4 to ctrl with double press instead of standard and it would require that i double press and hold L4 for the effect. i just recreated that and it works exactly as intended and how i thought it would when starting out. just linux things i guess

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 10, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I knew I shouldn’t have bought that Lenovo legion lmao

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
drat I was planning on getting a MiSTer with my Christmas bonus but honestly a handheld emulation beast with an OLED screen for what I want to play up to PS2 would probably be the better choice.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Disappointing Pie posted:

drat I was planning on getting a MiSTer with my Christmas bonus but honestly a handheld emulation beast with an OLED screen for what I want to play up to PS2 would probably be the better choice.

I use my Steam Deck *mostly* for emulation and it owns bones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless you’re going to play that mister on a VERY state of the art TV or monitor, the deck is probably the better bet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

jokes posted:

Definitely a noticeable difference in bezel size!

I don't know about "best screen", I mean the Ally has a 1080p@120Hz and it's still 800p@90Hz. The Legion Go has 2560x1600@144Hz. Though most of that is wasted, of course, and neither are OLED.

I feel like 90Hz is just a really great refresh rate to target. The visual difference between 90 and 120 feels non-existent to me.

Refresh rate and resolution are not even close to being the most important things on a display, especially for very small screen sizes. I haven't seen the Legion Go or the new Steam Deck so it's not like I can make a comparison, but it's easily possible for a 1280x800 OLED screen to look drastically better than one with a higher resolution or refresh rate. Given their overall approach to the Steam Deck, it makes sense that Valve would go for the best quality panel they could shove in this thing without worrying about headline specs.

I can't believe it, but I think I'm going to end up buying one of these things. The slew of minor upgrades along with the major screen upgrade is just too loving tempting. I was briefly thinking of getting a Legion Go, but gently caress it.

edit- I am unironically very happy that a performance boosted Deck is at least two years away

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 10, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's probably not going to be enough to make docked 1080p FFXIV a consistent 60fps so I'm good for just now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Question for EU Eurogoons: The Deck's page says it's available in the EU; does it ship from within the EU, or just ships from the states? (for import tax purposes)

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks for the EU clarification!
For further clarification: EU orders come from a warehouse in Waalwijk, the Netherlands. US orders come from a warehouse in Carol Stream, Illinois. Asia orders appear to be from different warehouses in each country?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

HDR in Linux is actually huge. Looks like it is built into Steam OS 3.5.

I've complained about the touch screen to no end and this looks like the update I've wanted. But with the price and a hardware sequel in a few years I can't justify the cost.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have a MiSTer and Steam Deck, and it'd be real hard to choose between the two. MiSTer has essentially zero input delay so all games feel better, timing is perfect, and the built in scanlines/shaders can look exactly like the Retrotink 5x with no performance impact. But having absolutely everything on the Steam Deck (including MAME for all the arcade titles that haven't been ported to fpga yet) is so novel.

They're two vastly different but amazing options with tradeoffs. I find myself reaching for the MiSTer for everything up to PSX/N64/Saturn and being happy knowing that I could play that stuff in a pinch on the Deck. The benefits of software emulation kick in around the PS2/Dreamcast/GameCube.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's very unlikely to happen, but it would be great if there was a trade in option for those with the original deck.

Like if they worked out only 5% of the existing user base would outright buy a new model, but 75% would get one if there was an option to upgrade for £150 or £200 depending on the model or whatever.

Then they could outright stop production of the old models and switch to the supply of them being discounted (yet still profitable) refurbs for the folk who can't afford the top of the line version.

Everybody wins (to a degree).

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Cronodoculous posted:

Bought my deck two weeks ago and was worried the whole time that there would be a sale right after… Permanently knocking $200 off the price wasn’t even a scenario I’d considered. I have a support ticket open to hopefully recoup something but man, this kinda hurts.

I saw someone on r/SteamDeck receive the option of either being given the difference in price back or a full on refund so that they could buy the OLED version instead. So hopefully you can get that sorted.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MarcusSA posted:

I knew I shouldn’t have bought that Lenovo legion lmao

You're just gonna have to keep buying them handheld PCs. Sadly I see no other options here.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Trade in programmes would of course be a lot easier and less hassle, but it looks like the second hand market for Deck's is pretty healthy on eBay etc.

I don't think anyone is going to struggle knocking £200+ off the cost of these OLED models if you've got an LCD to sell. I think that will probably hold even after the OLED releases, personally.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Vic posted:

You're just gonna have to keep buying them handheld PCs. Sadly I see no other options here.

Just keep switching out PC handhelds as their batteries go down, great for an 8+ hour flight / bus ride!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Did they say if this new model will have more easily replaceable battery? Or did they invent even stronger glue?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

BoldFace posted:

Did they say if this new model will have more easily replaceable battery? Or did they invent even stronger glue?

Linus Tech Tips claims they (valve) put less glue into this one.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bumhead posted:

Trade in programmes would of course be a lot easier and less hassle, but it looks like the second hand market for Deck's is pretty healthy on eBay etc.

I don't think anyone is going to struggle knocking £200+ off the cost of these OLED models if you've got an LCD to sell. I think that will probably hold even after the OLED releases, personally.

Yeah. I'm picking up a couple of bonuses from work that will also help offset the cost.

I'm probably just going to buy the 512 OLED version and swap in my existing 2TB SSD, then sell my LCD deck with the 512GB SSD in it (which will ironically bring it back to its original factory spec :v:)

Although the 512GB OLED doesn't have the etched screen... Will I notice the difference not having it, but playing on an OLED vs LCD?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Annath posted:

Yeah. I'm picking up a couple of bonuses from work that will also help offset the cost.

I'm probably just going to buy the 512 OLED version and swap in my existing 2TB SSD, then sell my LCD deck with the 512GB SSD in it (which will ironically bring it back to its original factory spec :v:)

Although the 512GB OLED doesn't have the etched screen... Will I notice the difference not having it, but playing on an OLED vs LCD?

Everywhere I'm looking the consensus appears to be that the etched screen is worse? Dave2D also did a comparison showing that the screen loses vibrancy but you can get some of it back by putting on a glossy screen protector it seems. But it feels really stupid that you have to counteract the main feature of the glass itself that you are paying extra for. I am tempted by the 1TB one due to the larger storage and the nicer case. But paying extra for a less vibrant screen seems like a bit of a bummer. I know I can get a 512gb one and upgrade it myself and all but I would prefer to just have the storage I want out of the box.

I've seen similar comparisons with matte vs glossy PC monitors and the difference in vibrancy is huge. So it is a bit of an odd choice to go through all this effort to put in an OLED screen, only to gimp it with an anti glare etching. But maybe I am overestimating the impact in reality. I've never even seen a Steam Deck in person to begin with.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 10, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Boar It posted:

Everywhere I'm looking the consensus appears to be that the etched screen is worse? Dave2D also did a comparison showing that the screen loses vibrancy but you can get some of it back by putting on a glossy screen protector it seems. But it feels really stupid that you have to counteract the main feature of the glass itself that you are paying extra for. I am tempted by the 1TB one due to the larger storage and the nicer case. But paying extra for a less vibrant screen seems like a bit of a bummer. I know I can get a 512gb one and upgrade it myself and all but I would prefer to just have the storage I want out of the box.

I've seen similar comparisons with matte vs glossy PC monitors and the difference in vibrancy is huge. So it is a bit of an odd choice to go through all this effort to put in an OLED screen, only to gimp it with an anti glare etching. But maybe I am overestimating the impact in reality. I've never even seen a Steam Deck in person to begin with.

If it looks worse, then that seals the deal for me. I'll get the 512.

Swapping the drive is dead simple, and I can install a pair of hall effect sticks at the same time.

I installed those in my existing Deck, but that was when they required soldering so I can't just swap those.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Annath posted:

If it looks worse, then that seals the deal for me. I'll get the 512.

Swapping the drive is dead simple, and I can install a pair of hall effect sticks at the same time.

I installed those in my existing Deck, but that was when they required soldering so I can't just swap those.

I am just parroting some info I found elsewhere so don't take my word for it. I'm sure we'll see proper comparisons soon either way. But in Dave2D's video it did look noticeably better when he attached the glossy screen protector on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKJODmcdiM&t=202s

I would put one of those on regardless so might not matter for me but still worth keeping in mind.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

No idea about the OLED but for me on the non etched glass LCD one a matte screen protector makes an incredible positive difference when playing anywhere that could see sunlight on the screen eg public transport. Like, can easily see the screen vs can only see the sun or your own reflection and thus can't use it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

GTO posted:

No idea about the OLED but for me on the non etched glass LCD one a matte screen protector makes an incredible positive difference when playing anywhere that could see sunlight on the screen eg public transport. Like, can easily see the screen vs can only see the sun or your own reflection and thus can't use it.

Yeah I suspect it doesn't matter too much in reality. If you want the glossy screen you can just take off the protector in your case. If I were to want the glossy screen (with a hypothetical 1TB OLED) I would just slap a glass screen protector on it and it should be quite similar in the end. So it is probably not worth overthinking.

Regardless, I'll probably pick one up in December assuming supplies last. I'm in no rush and I am curious to see if the initial batch may reveal some manufacturing wrinkles once they are out in the wild. Should be fewer issues since it is a refresh and all but still you never know.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.eurogamer.net/valve-says-technology-doesnt-exist-yet-for-full-steam-deck-20

Steam Deck 2 hardware does not exist yet, it will be easier to swap parts out without screwing on eggshells, and Artifact 3 will target the current Deck.

quote:

Valve says "technology doesn't exist" yet for full Steam Deck 2.0
Half-Life maker has several games targeting current hardware in pipeline.

Don't expect Steam Deck 2.0 anytime soon, Valve has said, as the technology to launch a handheld with an adequately beefy jump in power just doesn't yet exist

Speaking to Eurogamer ahead of today's Steam Deck OLED announcement, Valve engineers discussed the features it is adding to its shinier new handheld model that were not possible to provide back when the original Steam Deck debuted.

The company also said it was working on game projects - plural - right now which were still targeting current Steam Deck hardware performance levels (which remain unchanged in the OLED).

"Both the screen and the battery were fairly obvious things we'd have liked to do early on," Valve veteran and Steam Deck product designer Greg Coomer told me, when discussing what the company had most wanted to improve with the launch of Steam Deck OLED.

"But the screen, I think it's the biggest example of something we would have shipped in the first-generation model but we weren't able to do so because OLED screens with these characteristics in this size just did not exist.

"Back then, we really couldn't engage with a display manufacturer to do exactly what we were after because they didn't really understand the product category, or who would be buying the screen, or why it would matter. Now that picture has changed and we're able to get custom work done."

Other new features for Steam Deck OLED have been prompted by user feedback, such as the importance of having a dedicated Bluetooth antenna for situations when people were playing docked to a TV with a lot of Bluetooth controllers. Coomer noted that Valve had also seen a number of requests for a longer power cable, which the OLED model now includes.

But what couldn't Valve include? Or at least, not include yet? Valve hardware engineer Yazan Aldehayyat said that "even more performance" was the answer - and it was here we entered the territory of what Valve would consider a full Steam Deck 2.0.

"Obviously we'd love to get even more performance in the same power envelope, but that technology doesn't exist yet," Aldehayyat said. "That's what I think we'd call a Steam Deck 2.0.

"The first Steam Deck was the first moment in time where we felt like there was enough GPU performance in a portable form factor that lets you play all your Steam games. We would love for the trend of perf-per-watt to progress rapidly to do that, but it's not quite there yet."

On the upside, this means that Steam developers still have a single perfomance point to hit when ensuring their games run well on the Steam Deck platform, whether the original model or the new OLED.

But how about Valve's own games? Had it been tempted to create something new to show off its shinier handheld hardware?

"There is work like that going on at Valve but we're not debuting a piece of content that is tailored to the OLED screen," Coomer replied.

"I think even when we shipped the first version of Steam Deck it was surprising to a lot of people that we didn't really orient a lot of our own games - or create a new game - specifically targeted to our hardware or exclusive to Steam Deck. We're basically conducting ourselves the same way roughly where we don't have title that is imminent that we're going to unveil with the launch of OLED.

"But all of the titles - a lot of which exist but some are unannounced - are definitely targeting this device
. So over time you'll see that from Valve but not in a big splash at the moment of launch."

Lastly, Valve discussed the issue of being able to self-repair devices - something that Steam Deck OLED leans into by being easier to open up and fiddle around with.

"When you open the Steam Deck the method of doing so is now a series of machine screws with metal threads, as opposed to screws that went directly into plastic," Coomer said. "It used to be a little bit of a destructive act, you'd degrade the plastic a bit every time you removed or put those screws back in. To some degree you'd be degrading the Steam Deck's ability to remain intact if you dropped it. Now that's no longer the case."

The importance of giving users the ability to tinker with their own devices is not lost on a company built on serving the PC market, Coomer continued.

"We basically believe in users having control over the things they purchase. As a company, we're definitely the beneficiary of operating in a space where these kind of things are open. We think having an open software stack is valuable, we think having users being able to control these things is valuable - including to put another operating system on it.

"But even having access to the hardware components, all of those things matter and we benefit when users have access to the full range of options, because users innovate with us when they have the ability to do so. Valve, as a business, we've always benefited from this openess from a PC ecosystem that treats devices and customers with open access. So we think going forward we will continue to benefit, customers will continue to benefit, and they can help each other benefit by making changes or modifications available to each other, so it lifts everybody."

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 10, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Being able to wake the Deck when docked with a controller is a new thing that rules, and them saying they basically used the clout from the OG Deck success to get a custom OLED made is really interesting. Especially with people implying they're getting them from the same company that makes the Switch OLED screens.

Anyway someone stop me watching videos on it before I spend £480.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Will that being able to wake with a controller thing be pushed as a firmware update to all or is that something in the hardware only for the new one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Will that being able to wake with a controller thing be pushed as a firmware update to all or is that something in the hardware only for the new one?

I think it's hardware from the changes to the bluetooth antenna, since it's now its own part instead of I think integrated into the wifi card.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Annath posted:

If I understood the LTT video correctly, the stick internals are different in the new Deck, so you might have to wait for someone to produce the appropriate upgrade part.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

njsykora posted:

I think it's hardware from the changes to the bluetooth antenna, since it's now its own part instead of I think integrated into the wifi card.

That kinda sucks because my plan was to keep my old Deck on dock duty

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Boar It posted:

I am just parroting some info I found elsewhere so don't take my word for it. I'm sure we'll see proper comparisons soon either way. But in Dave2D's video it did look noticeably better when he attached the glossy screen protector on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKJODmcdiM&t=202s

I would put one of those on regardless so might not matter for me but still worth keeping in mind.
Look, this (not black picture) is NOT BLACK WITHOUT THE SCREEN PROTECTOR. Oh it's also not black WITH the screen protector because it's a dark gray but ignore that part.

This is something to not worry about, the ability to see in suboptimal lighting is far more important to me, this isn't going to be a TV I'm mounting to a wall in a perfect spot where I can control the lighting that hits it, it's a machine I'll be using in my car outside on my lunch breaks. Considering it gets up to 1000 nits vs the 400 nits which was fine in all use cases for me. Plus look at how bad the glare is on the top screen or the bottom after he applies it. I feel like it's not worth the effort to worry about imo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Putting a glossy protector on top of a matte screen is psychotic and does nothing about the anti glare treatment continuing to scatter light while also adding obnoxious reflections on top of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My steam deck stopped automatically connecting to wifi and it's very annoying. Anyone else had this happen or know what I can do to fix it?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

My steam deck stopped automatically connecting to wifi and it's very annoying. Anyone else had this happen or know what I can do to fix it?

Reboot your Deck and your wireless router. Check both for updates.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Buy a new OLED Deck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I had to shut down the goon deck wiki as my poo poo was getting DDOSed and I can't afford real hosting that can deal with that.

I still own the domain goondeckwiki.com until November next year and have the files, so if anyone would want to host it, I'd be happy to move it and keep paying for the domain.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

sigher posted:

Buy a new OLED Deck.

Ok fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vic posted:

I had to shut down the goon deck wiki as my poo poo was getting DDOSed and I can't afford real hosting that can deal with that.

I still own the domain goondeckwiki.com until November next year and have the files, so if anyone would want to host it, I'd be happy to move it and keep paying for the domain.

F

thanks for it, it was great