Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GateOfD posted:

what does guiding or leading around townspeople actually do in Octopath II.
Tried to bring a mom to a kid who said he was waiting of his mom, but that didn't do anything

Sometimes having an NPC following you around is the solution to a sidequest, but not always in the way you'd expect. You never need a follower in order to acquire the quest, however, and if there's no quest, followers won't do anything to other NPCs.

Everyone who can lead an NPC around can Summon them a limited number of times in battle to help out. Additionally, Agnea and Partitio get some passive benefits from the NPC following them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Rinkles posted:

Been messing around with a few, but what are some of the best non-Pokémon DS RPGs? Any non obvious favorites?

Radiant Historia can hit in the right spots for some people
Super Robot Wars: OG is a gem. Its all original characters in it, so no need to know anime series like the other ones where its all a bunch of actual series meshed together like a Smash Bros. game. And just straight up JRPG SRPG goodness.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Disgaea 1 was on ds. Had a lot of fun with that although it was hard to go back to after i played disgaea 2

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Mr. Maltose posted:

Magical Starsign is a pretty good DS rpg that no one talks about. Infinite Space for a sci-fi rpg that isn’t a fantasy game for most of it’s runtime.

I love talking about both of these!

While the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is not something I can praise much these days, Magical Starsign had a deeply endearing and memorable world. I still think about certain locales or moments (Gummy Girl... and that pirate dad ) to an outsized degree, considering this was an unpopular DS RPG that, again, no one talks about. The structure of how and why you visit the B-sides of the places you have been to before never stopped being fun. And why was there so much suicidal ideation in this game anyways???? Made for interesting stories, anywho

Wonder what it says about me that exploring XB3's world was a negative for me, while I still chase RPGs with worlds like Magical Starsign's. Come to think of it, playing SaGa Frontier for the first time last year gave me similar feelings, surpassed them in a lot of ways.

Gotta reiterate that both games are kind of a pain in the rear end, gameplay-wise. love em though

to thrown in a recommendation: Solatorobo, the most ambitious ARPG on the console, from the Fuga devs

Ramie fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 10, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nihilarian posted:

Disgaea 1 was on ds. Had a lot of fun with that although it was hard to go back to after i played disgaea 2

D1DS is one of the worst ports of its time, definitely just..play it on PSP or PC/Switch

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Rinkles posted:

Been messing around with a few, but what are some of the best non-Pokémon DS RPGs? Any non obvious favorites?

Glory of Heracles
The Dark Spire
seconding Infinite Space, game ruled and i wish i could finish it
My World My Way
Suikoden Tierkreis and gently caress you if you disagree
Nostalgia

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm still playing mostly 3DS games on my New 2DS, but I've got the following DS titles ready and waiting. So they might be not that great, some might be closer to action and (real-time) strategy, but here is a list of some DS titles that might give the thread some inspiration:

7th Dragon (fan translation)
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (fan translation)
Avalon Code
Away: Shuffle Dungeon
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
Blood of Bahamut (fan translation)
Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow
Children of Mana
Contact
The Dark Spire
Deep Labyrinth
whole lot of Dragon Quest
Drone Tactics
Dungeon Explorers
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Infinite Space
Izuna 1+2
Knights in the Nightmare
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Luminous Arc 1+2 (there is also a third one, which probably has a fan translation)
Magical Starsign
Mazes of Fate
My World, My Way
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
Nostalgia
Phantasy Star 0
Rondo of Swords
SaGa 2+3 (fan translations)
Sands of Destruction
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Soma Bringer (fan translation)
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Steal Princess
Suikoden Tierkries
I should probably look into the DS Summon Night games
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
The World Ends With You

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 10, 2023

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I really enjoyed cotp; it felt very ambitious (a tactics game with Valkyrie Profile combat) and built well around its central conceit.

If you want more turn based strategy RPGs then grab Devil Survivor (provided you haven't played it on the 3DS). Strange Journey is really good too. It's not an RPG but play 999 if you haven't played it on any other system.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 10, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
looking up these suggestions was quite the throwback. an era of games i used to follow closely but haven't thought about in ages.

Leraika posted:

I really enjoyed cotp; it felt very ambitious (a tactics game with Valkyrie Profile combat) and built well around its central conceit.

If you want more turn based strategy RPGs then grab Devil Survivor (provided you haven't played it on the 3DS). Strange Journey is really good too. It's not an RPG but play 999 if you haven't played it on any other system.

sorry what's cotp?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Covenant of the plume

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Radiant Historia can hit in the right spots for some people
Super Robot Wars: OG is a gem. Its all original characters in it, so no need to know anime series like the other ones where its all a bunch of actual series meshed together like a Smash Bros. game. And just straight up JRPG SRPG goodness.

There aren't any Super Robot Wars OG games on DS unless you count Endless Frontier (don't play Endless Frontier). SRW W does have a fan translation if you are playing on a flash cart/emulator that is worth checking out, though, it's one of the best games in the series.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you'll need a translation patch for both of them but metal max 3 and nora and the time studio are two of my favorite recent ds plays. metal max is post-ap with a lot of quirky quests and characters, and tank customization. nora is an atelier clone by atlus where your "alchemy" revolves around twisting an ingredient's time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I just started cosmic wheel sisterhood last night, which is not an rpg, but the many conversations you have are punctuated with weighty questions framed in such a way that really reminds me of the quizzes ogre battle games start with, except here you're the one doing the fortune telling

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Think this SO2 helped me figure out what I like about triace game design, their habit of cluttering their games with offbeat systems, which more of than not you can exploit to break the game, makes the characters feel more engaging in the gameplay and world. Plus it's cute to see Celine crafting a big rear end armor out of rocks

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I just made it to post-game in SO2, but the bonus dungeon takes my chars down in five or six hits even at level 170+; any advice on what to farm/craft form?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Think this SO2 helped me figure out what I like about triace game design, their habit of cluttering their games with offbeat systems, which more of than not you can exploit to break the game, makes the characters feel more engaging in the gameplay and world. Plus it's cute to see Celine crafting a big rear end armor out of rocks

I think this is most true of SO2 and VP which is part of why they are some of Tri-Ace's most beloved. Even if mechanically it isn't that complex giving characters unique attributes or skills or traits helps make them feel more unique.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FireWorksWell posted:

I just made it to post-game in SO2, but the bonus dungeon takes my chars down in five or six hits even at level 170+; any advice on what to farm/craft form?

I barely fought anyone in the maze. I just relied on Bodyguard. Stacking that, Train, and Food EXP can help you quickly hit the cap in the last floor.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I barely fought anyone in the maze. I just relied on Bodyguard. Stacking that, Train, and Food EXP can help you quickly hit the cap in the last floor.

Bodyguard doesn't stop them all for me, I've got two of the +15 % rings for that too

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't think any of the bosses are trouble until the last one, so you can just avoid the random encounters.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

FireWorksWell posted:

if you don't have bunny shoes, get bunny shoes. Other than that, depends on how deep you're in. If you haven't started getting any of the bonus dungeon equipment, put a medusa shield (?) (algol in the ps1 version but I don't think that's what it's called here, the one that has a chance of petrifiying on hit) on anyone who can use it, and star guards on everyone else.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

There aren't any Super Robot Wars OG games on DS unless you count Endless Frontier (don't play Endless Frontier).

Nah, play Endless Frontier.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, what the hell? Endless Frontier is cool. Especially the sequel (which does have a translation patch). Very fun combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People really did not like Forced Evasion in EF.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

There aren't any Super Robot Wars OG games on DS unless you count Endless Frontier (don't play Endless Frontier). SRW W does have a fan translation if you are playing on a flash cart/emulator that is worth checking out, though, it's one of the best games in the series.
Hey, what's wrong with Endless FrontFORCED EVASION whoops i can't finish this post now

EDIT:

ImpAtom posted:

People really did not like Forced Evasion in EF.

:hmmyes:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Leraika posted:

if you don't have bunny shoes, get bunny shoes. Other than that, depends on how deep you're in. If you haven't started getting any of the bonus dungeon equipment, put a medusa shield (?) (algol in the ps1 version but I don't think that's what it's called here, the one that has a chance of petrifiying on hit) on anyone who can use it, and star guards on everyone else.

Thanks for this, I'll give it another go soon!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

FireWorksWell posted:

Did you find the Magical Rasp that lets you create higher level stuff with Blacksmith? Have you leveled up Sidestep (chance to evade enemies) and Qidong (chance to boost your defense) and... Courage? Or whatever it is that boosts your Guts by 3 every level? What sort of Factors do you have going on? Do you have the formation that boosts Guts, Defense, and makes you immune to Bad Status?

Some of your party members are gonna get sandwiched betwixt enemies and just get melted, unfortunately.

Also depending on your party it might be useful to go fight the Raid Bosses on the world map to see if you can get some better gear.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

Did you find the Magical Rasp that lets you create higher level stuff with Blacksmith? Have you leveled up Sidestep (chance to evade enemies) and Qidong (chance to boost your defense) and... Courage? Or whatever it is that boosts your Guts by 3 every level? What sort of Factors do you have going on? Do you have the formation that boosts Guts, Defense, and makes you immune to Bad Status?

Some of your party members are gonna get sandwiched betwixt enemies and just get melted, unfortunately.

Also depending on your party it might be useful to go fight the Raid Bosses on the world map to see if you can get some better gear.

No, I was looking around for that in Never, going off that Guild quest hint but I couldn't find it yet. I've got all battle skills maxed on 5 of my characters, and factors haven mostly been stuff like hp/mp regen or mp costs down. Was using the formation with bonus spheres, crit rate up and item use to all. Rena, Claude, Ashton and Precis is my setup atm, with Rena alternating between faerie light and star flare with max hasten speech

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Looper posted:

you'll need a translation patch for both of them but metal max 3 and nora and the time studio are two of my favorite recent ds plays. metal max is post-ap with a lot of quirky quests and characters, and tank customization. nora is an atelier clone by atlus where your "alchemy" revolves around twisting an ingredient's time

Did you like Metal Max 3 more than 2 Reloaded or have you not played 2R? Same system, built on the same engine base (3 came first, so 2R has some perks it doesn’t), both have fan translations.

I’ve only finished 2 - 3 is on my to do list but I just finished 2 and don’t want to burn out - and I’m just curious if there was a reason to suggest one and not the other.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Prism posted:

Did you like Metal Max 3 more than 2 Reloaded or have you not played 2R? Same system, built on the same engine base (3 came first, so 2R has some perks it doesn’t), both have fan translations.

I’ve only finished 2 - 3 is on my to do list but I just finished 2 and don’t want to burn out - and I’m just curious if there was a reason to suggest one and not the other.

i haven't played 2r for the same reason, wanting to avoid burnout lol. I'm looking forward to it though!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Looper posted:

i haven't played 2r for the same reason, wanting to avoid burnout lol. I'm looking forward to it though!

Ha, fair enough! I was just curious if it was a matter of 3 being that much better. Guess we'll both find out when we play the other later.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

No, I was looking around for that in Never, going off that Guild quest hint but I couldn't find it yet. I've got all battle skills maxed on 5 of my characters, and factors haven mostly been stuff like hp/mp regen or mp costs down. Was using the formation with bonus spheres, crit rate up and item use to all. Rena, Claude, Ashton and Precis is my setup atm, with Rena alternating between faerie light and star flare with max hasten speech

Do you consider the Bloody Armor/Helmet cheating? If you're trying to play it without those, probably the formation that makes you immune to status effects is the best one to use. I think you'll be relying on high Guts for anything post-game though, since the higher it gets the higher the odds of you not dying when you normally would. You'll need to do that, rely on % chance of not dying accessories, or just be completely invincible for one Barchian type superboss (can't remember if it was a raid boss or in the extra dungeon) who seemed to only do one counter attack right before he died.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I've made it past the two-party member fight so I think I'm almost done with the maze, I'm gonna hold off on getting the bloody armor. . Getting the rasp really did help

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I've gotten four pairs of bunny shoes and zero pairs of santa boots; the bunny races suuuuuck

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

continuing on to other systems, what are the top list of Switch exclusive jrpgs.

Played SMT4, Xenoblades, The Trails to Azure/Zero ports, Octopath II already, Astral Chain, FEs

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Leraika posted:

I've gotten four pairs of bunny shoes and zero pairs of santa boots; the bunny races suuuuuck

Just go steal one from the kid in Arlia in the postgame.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just go steal one from the kid in Arlia in the postgame.

For sale, Santa Boots, freshly stolen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GateOfD posted:

continuing on to other systems, what are the top list of Switch exclusive jrpgs.

Played SMT4, Xenoblades, The Trails to Azure/Zero ports, Octopath II already, Astral Chain, FEs

Only others I can think of are Pokemon and Mario Rabbids

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mario Rabbids 1 is a fantastic, wonderful game, and probably my favorite title on the switch
Mario Rabbids 2 is a step back for me across the board and I can't bring myself to finish it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

D1DS is one of the worst ports of its time, definitely just..play it on PSP or PC/Switch

Whats wrong with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've finally made it through all the opening bits in SO2R, putting me roughly where I was when I tried playing the PS1 version (i.e. being able to explore on the world map). I tried some of the same strats I did previously, such as going to the Lasgus Mountains to try and fight some of the balloons (?) that only drain XP, and I had one encounter where I fought two of them, which netted Rena three quick levels. However, all the other encounters were against other enemies, meaning I had no chance to survive.

I then headed out east to Harley (the port town) because I remember that's where the Thief's Gloves being. However, I don't have enough for them yet. I've got maybe around 2,000 FOL, but you need 40,000 FOL to buy them, so I don't know if there's a way of getting money for them quickly.

It could be that I'm jumping the gun a bit on some of this, and I'm not ready to do a lot of this stuff. I've arrived in Krosse, and I still don't have access to learning skills (some menu items are still locked out with '???'). I want to know, though, if there's anything I should focus on, or keep in mind not to forget in case I can't access it later (I know that one of the early towns get destroyed after you progress a couple of story beats).