Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Enemabag Jones posted:

I love the idea of being able to choose literally any name ever for the vulnerable, precious life you're bringing into the world and choosing one based on a character who's mostly known for unceremoniously exiting by projectile barfing on their self

My kid's named Koyaanisqatsi, which was a joke about how much of a PITA babies are. he mostly goes by the obvious nickname

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Shaming people for bad behavior is no longer effective. That stopped working several years ago for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Enemabag Jones posted:

I love the idea of being able to choose literally any name ever for the vulnerable, precious life you're bringing into the world and choosing one based on a character who's mostly known for unceremoniously exiting by projectile barfing on their self

I dunno, seems like it'd be pretty fitting for the first couple years at least.

Even with the weebs you'd think they could compromise and pick some names that work in multiple cultures, Ken seems a decent candidate.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vim Fuego posted:

My kid's named Koyaanisqatsi, which was a joke about how much of a PITA babies are. he mostly goes by the obvious nickname

lmao

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I just had to turn signatures on for the first time in... twenty years to understand what just happened here.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Aaaaaaanyways... (weird attempt at formatting is the OP's)

WIBTA for refusing to drive my wife and her sisters to an out of town concert

quote:

Hello all,

Recently my wife (33f) and I (37m) were able to get 4 tickets to a concert that is extremely hard to get tickets for. I was super stoked, as we have been huge fans of the artist for years (have all their albums)

Last night, my wife tells me that because we only got 4 tickets (max with the code we had) I wouldn’t be able to attend, as her and her 3 sisters where making it a sisters trip.

WIBTAH for telling them I am not going to drive them to the concert (4hrs over snow covered highways) if I am cut from going - especially because two of her sisters aren’t fans of the artist, and I was only told I was cut after the fact - not while working on getting presale tickets?

<b>Edit more info</B>: the concert is Taylor Swift - and I was told of this girl trip idea last night on our way home from a hockey game - wife told me she hopes one of her sisters can’t make it so I can go - which almost makes it worse

<B>Update</B> As some have pointed out, us having a code didn’t ensure we had tickets - my mistake I don’t buy tickets often - we do however have 4 tickets as of now (have reciept on credit card)

One of the sisters has backed out - not being a fan of the artist and finding out I wouldn’t be able to go she opted out.

The whole experience has kinda tainted the concert for me - I will be having a more in depth conversation with my wife tonight on how it all went down.

Also, can we please refrain from saying things like “does your wife love you” type comments - not cool -

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pomme de Terror posted:

Aaaaaaanyways... (weird attempt at formatting is the OP's)

WIBTA for refusing to drive my wife and her sisters to an out of town concert

This is pretty lovely on the wife's part for sure. "Not only do you not get to see an artist you like and were looking forward to, but you're doing an eight hour round trip and have to hang and wait for us to be finished".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

taylor strikes again

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

"does your lovely wife love you" is a reasonable question. the uncool part was posting on Reddit when you know your wife was being an rear end in a top hat and the situation is resolved anyway

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ice Road Truckers (Taylor's Version)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

greazeball posted:

Look the dirtiest thing in the bathroom is obviously the flush so as long as you don't flush you don't really need to wash your hands

A kid told me once there was an ongoing and very tense debate at her school over whether it was correct to use your foot to hit the toilet handle when flushing. The argument from the foot-flushers was that not touching the handle kept your hands cleaner, while the non-foot flushers pointed out that the foot-flushers were making the handle dirtier by touching it with the bottom of their shoes.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You are all forgetting wise words from another r/relationship hero: "What happens in the bathroom is between me and God!"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my sister that people are allowed to look annoyed by her toddler and baby on a plane and that it's entitled to say they should feel sorry for her because "it's even worse for me" because she made the a choice to take them on the plane?

A 6 month old baby and a not yet two year old toddler. On a flight from AUSTRALIA to EUROPE, which is pretty close to the longest flight you can possibly take on this round planet. Because THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THE TICKETS since the children were so young.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

A kid told me once there was an ongoing and very tense debate at her school over whether it was correct to use your foot to hit the toilet handle when flushing. The argument from the foot-flushers was that not touching the handle kept your hands cleaner, while the non-foot flushers pointed out that the foot-flushers were making the handle dirtier by touching it with the bottom of their shoes.

Proper commercial handwashing sinks are designed so the taps can be operated with your knees or elbows, for precisely this reason.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not helping my autistic sister and leaving her in the hospital for three days.

quote:

I (34M) have two sisters 36 and 27. My youngest sister has several mental disabilities including autism and intellectual disabilities. She is fully capable of doing household cleaning, cooking, hygiene, communicating and can read and write at a primary school level. Currently she lives alone in a government support house and has 24 hr carers who prompt her to do her chores and take her out on outings. My sister has extreme behaviours and during meltdowns and tantrums she will threaten people, kick and hit carers and refuses to do anything cause she wants her carers to do them for her. She has a care plan in place which enforces her to do her own cleaning and help curve her bad behaviour.

As bad as it sounds, me and my older sister do not like our younger sister or our father (65M). Our childhood was hell growing up with her. Our mother would try her best to teach her good behaviour and independence and I would see some progress. However, our father would coodle her because he didn't want to deal with her meltdowns and would brow beat our mother when she would try and get her to do chores or correct her behaviour. When our sister hit 18, our mother packed up and left the day after her birthday without telling us or our father.

Our father tried to rope us in helping with our sister when this happened but we refused and he was left to take care of her. It took years for him to get enough assistance from the government so that she can get proper care. Whenever our sister doesn't like a carer asking her to do chores or something else she will call our father who will yell and brow beat the carer. Because of this and her meltdowns she runs through a lot of carers. This happened a couple of weeks ago when my sister exploded and had another meltdown because she was in a bad mood and a carer asked her to do some cleaning. Our father was out of town for work and yelled at the carer over the phone. The carer called the police and an ambulance and walked out. Our father was calling me and my sister up trying to get us to help but we refused so she was held for three days in the hospital. When our father came back he had to take care of her for a week while the company organised more carers.

Our father called us up a couple of days ago telling us how traumatised our sister is from the hospital and how exhausted he is. He said it was wrong for us to hate our sister so much and not step up in a time of crisis. I told him that he brought this on himself and it was his fault she was like this . Our extended family has been texting us saying how we are failures as family and we need to put the past behind us. I replied that they are welcome to step up and help as well. I am second guessing on whether I should have at least helped while my father was out of town because she had made a lot of progress lately but I still heavily resent her. AITA for leaving her in the hospital?

AITA for showing favouritism to one of my sister's parrots?

quote:

That's a question I never thought I'd have to ask.

My sister has a Macaw and an Eclectus. When I visit I sometimes buy them new toys, along with apples for the Macaw and bananas for the Eclectus(their respective favorite treats). I only pet the Eclectus though. She is an affectionate girl, approaches me slowly, never yelled at me. The Macaw though screams at me and, I'll admit it, his large beak unsettles me. Call me a wimp if you want, but I'm afraid to put my fingers near that.

After several visits, my sister remarked on this. She said that it's not fair since her Macaw deserves some affection too. When I voiced my reason, my sister told me he never bit her and wouldn't bite me. Then she got offended, since I refused to take her word for it.

UPDATE : Following advice on here, I sliced an apple for the macaw, put the slices in a bowl and placed the bowl in front of him. He stared at me before eating. I didn’t pet him yet, having decided to take it slow like a few people have suggested in comments.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 10, 2023

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
I made that trip when I was seven, with my four year old and six month old siblings (after 9 years of being in the UK my mother finally saved up enough money to take her kids on a plane to visit her family (we were poo poo poor)).

I don’t remember much except that the guy who helped my poor mother rock her baby to sleep on the 13 hour first leg got bit on the finger as my sister cut her first tooth on him, and us other two were fed so many peanuts by the airhostesses (presumably to get us to shut up) that even today the taste of salted nuts makes me gag.

Also this was the early 90’s so the inflight entertainment was a projector screen at the front of the plane showing Honey I Blew Up The Kids on a loop for the entire flight.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cloacamazing! posted:

A 6 month old baby and a not yet two year old toddler. On a flight from AUSTRALIA to EUROPE, which is pretty close to the longest flight you can possibly take on this round planet. Because THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THE TICKETS since the children were so young.

This is an evil trip for an adult to take. I'm going back to Australia from the UK next year and I'm not bringing my kid who will be 10 by then because he'd hate the flight so much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Flights for kids are much easier since the invention of the Nintendo switch

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Covid really made me aware of how many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom in public.

Also, if I had to give a kid an anime name, it would definitely be Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. It's a fun name to say, and I feel like I could come up with an insane story if I'm ever pressed about it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least you acknowledge COVID happened, far too many people are back to insisting on handshakes and hugs and slapping you on the shoulder to say hello.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

At least you acknowledge COVID happened, far too many people are back to insisting on handshakes and hugs and slapping you on the shoulder to say hello.

Part of me thinks the reason I didn't get the job I interviewed for (and the hiring manager made an exception for me because she liked my resume so she let me interview a day late) was because I was the only person in a mask. And part of me wishes I had just risked Covid because it was a good job with great benefits.

AITA for telling my son about my ex girlfriend and my sexuality?

quote:

My son (5M) asked me (31F) what my life was like before I met his dad (34M) I told him some stuff from my childhood and he kept asking me a bunch of questions. He eventually asked him if I "had a daddy before daddy" which I'm pretty sure is a 5 year olds way of asking me if I had a partner before my husband.

I said yes and I said I had a girlfriend before I met his dad. Obviously he didn't know that I bi because there's never been any reason for me to tell him. He started asking a bunch of questions about that and I explained that I'm bi and that means I like men and women. I explained it in a totally age appropriate way.

He is a very curious kid and kept asking more questions. I told him about LGBTQ+ since we've never had a conversation like that before and told him its okay if he's gay or trans when he's older. I didn't go very deep into it because he's 5 he doesn't need to know all of that until he's older but I think it's good to know that it's all completely okay.

A day or so later he ran to my husband if he knew that I was bi. My husband said yes and asked him how he knew that and my kid said that I told him.

My husband said that it was really impropriate of me to tell him that and that he's to young to know about things like that. We got into an argument about it because I don't think I did anything wrong. He asked a mutual friend for their opinion and they agreed with my husband.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

AITA for not letting her go back to the dance class?

quote:

So we've been married for 5 years, we've been together for 13. Our relationship was always based on TRUST. It started as a long-distance one, then I moved to her city to be with her. She then got a chance to live abroad for 1 year, and I supported her and waited. Both of us were always free to go wherever we want, opposed to most couples we know who have to be together all the time, and fighting all the time because of jealousy. That's never been us. We trusted each other 100%.

Then I caught some messages between her and her dance professor. They've been having lunches together (he's paying), they say they can't wait to see each other again, he calls her "my love", "me pretty", and she reciprocates. I confront her, she says she's sorry, that it never went beyond texts (I do believe her), that they were good friends who crossed a line they shouldn't had.

I wanted to tell HIS girlfriend, and she didn't let me. I wanted to go to the gym and have him fired for misusing his position and she didn't let me. She doesn't want to be exposed and I love her enough to give her that.

BUT, she now wants to go back to attending his classes, because "it's not fair that she is to forfeit all her newfound very good friends we've made from the class".

I can't stand the thought of her still seeing him 3x a week. And she's suffering because she basically lost all of her friends on top of all the turmoil our marriage is going through and feels alone.

AITA???

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 10, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my son about my ex girlfriend and my sexuality?

I just want to see this enforced equally for once. Can't talk to kids about or show any indicators of sexuality? Well, I guess mommy and daddy can't hold hands anymore and have to introduce themselves to kids as roommates. Any TV or other media showing a non-platonic relationship is off the table. Really can't even go outside much because there are couples on billboards that are going to raise questions.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was just at a conference that had buttons for if you wanted to shake hands, fist bump, or elbow bump as your form of greeting. It also had green/red stickers on if you wanted to talk to people. It was great fun making the sales people in booths try to figure out how to elbow bump you and was usually awkward as hell. It was low on mask usage but I stood strong with my mask brethren of not huffing other people's germs and stank.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not letting her go back to the dance class?

There should be a more specific subreddit for this, how about r/AmITheDoormat?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Flights for kids are much easier since the invention of the Nintendo switch

Last flight I was on it was a grandmother taking her 6 year old grandson from Canada to the UK, and the frazzled granny had not considered for a moment that the child might require some form of entertainment for the 6 hour trip.

I was put on the fast-track to sainthood by most of the other passengers and cabin crew when I handed over my Switch and a Mario game to the kid. It is a truly wonderful device for the instantaneous pacifying of children.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I just want to see this enforced equally for once. Can't talk to kids about or show any indicators of sexuality? Well, I guess mommy and daddy can't hold hands anymore and have to introduce themselves to kids as roommates. Any TV or other media showing a non-platonic relationship is off the table. Really can't even go outside much because there are couples on billboards that are going to raise questions.

my son's school counsellor reported me to social services because I am trans and my kid was "too young" to have to know about that. lol!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm not still mad about that obviously

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You can be mad about that forever. Have you considered defenestration?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I was going to suggest erasing the counselor from existence with a large quantity of thermite.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

my son's school counsellor reported me to social services because I am trans and my kid was "too young" to have to know about that. lol!

Were you... supposed to not exist around your kid until he was old enough? I know the answer is yes, that is what they were going for, but still, how is that supposed to work?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Enemabag Jones posted:

I think that association probably says alot more about you than them.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The worst part about all that is that most kids are just curious or don't care once they find out "yeah some people have two daddies" or whatever. I guess the adults loving them up with their racism and bigotry and all that are afraid of the "influence" of kids becoming... open-minded and accepting and generous. Classic projection I suppose.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Cowslips Warren posted:

reminds me of that dude who thought his work was like Mad Men.

One of the all time classics

AITA for drinking whiskey in the office at 10:30 in the morning?

quote:

I (38M) work a stressful job in finance. After years of climbing my way up the corperate ladder, I finally became a VP at my firm - which comes with its own office!

I'm consider myself a 'classic' kinda guy, and one of the things I admire most about the workplaces of the 1960s (think Mad Men etc), is that the characters always have a jar of whiskey in their hands no matter what time of day it is. Back when I worked the trading floor, it would have been uncouth to do such a thing in front of my colleagues - but I figured no one would care about it now that I have my own office.

I recently purchased some whiskey jars, and a premium bottle ($500+) which I store openly on my desk. I work with some high-end clients, and I'll always offer them a glass when we have important meetings. Unfortunatley, none of them have ever accepted. So, not wanting to let the whiskey go to waste, I've started sipping on a couple of glasses by myself throughout the day, sometimes as early as 10:30 AM.

That was until yesterday morning, when one of my bosses (CTO) burst into the office unannounced, and caught me sipping. He looked shocked, turned his back, and left. At this point the bottle was about half-empty, so it probably looked pretty bad to him. (Although I must add that this was consumed over the course of a whole week - I was drinking slowly enough that it didn't affect my work in any way.)

He sent me a long e-mail about how I have problem and that he's going to contact HR. In the heat of the moment, I sent him a reply telling him maybe he needs a glass or two to lighten up. (I'll admit to being the rear end in a top hat for that part.) I'm scheduled to speak to HR tomorrow and I'm making GBS threads it. Reddit, am I really the rear end in a top hat for sipping whiskey privately in my office?

All of the typos and grammatical errors definitely tell me the whiskey hasn't dulled his keen financial senses

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sending an email to your boss saying maybe they need a glass or two is funny as poo poo. Hard to hate this stupid stupid man.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Clocks posted:

The worst part about all that is that most kids are just curious or don't care once they find out "yeah some people have two daddies" or whatever. I guess the adults loving them up with their racism and bigotry and all that are afraid of the "influence" of kids becoming... open-minded and accepting and generous. Classic projection I suppose.

Yeah, it's ludicrous how easy it can be if you're not a huge piece of poo poo with ulterior motives. I was nannying four-year-old twins when we had this exchange about their neighbors:

"How come Ed and Josh are always together?"

"Because they're married."

"Boys can marry boys?"

"Yep. You can marry almost anybody you love."

"Oh. Can I marry [brother]?"

"No, you're not allowed to marry people from your family. He'll always be your brother, though."

"Oh. Do you think there are any isopods under that rock?"

There were hella isopods under the rock

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cloacamazing! posted:

Were you... supposed to not exist around your kid until he was old enough? I know the answer is yes, that is what they were going for, but still, how is that supposed to work?

I think the solution they had in mind was to have my kid taken into care and funneled through the lovely foster care system for the next decade, and/or for me to take the hint and disappear permanently one way or another

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DrManiac posted:

Also, if I had to give a kid an anime name, it would definitely be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaKOM1HYAw

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I think the solution they had in mind was to have my kid taken into care and funneled through the lovely foster care system for the next decade, and/or for me to take the hint and disappear permanently one way or another
I'm really sorry you went through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Irisi posted:

Last flight I was on it was a grandmother taking her 6 year old grandson from Canada to the UK, and the frazzled granny had not considered for a moment that the child might require some form of entertainment for the 6 hour trip.

I was put on the fast-track to sainthood by most of the other passengers and cabin crew when I handed over my Switch and a Mario game to the kid. It is a truly wonderful device for the instantaneous pacifying of children.

Stickers are amazing as well. Really remarkable how long they will keep a small child occupied. I never take a kid on a plane without stickers. Have handed them to other kids on the plane to similar effect.

But yes, switch or smartphone with headphones is amazing.