Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Romulan Star Empire? More like Romulan Star Eliminated.

Thanks I'll be here all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Love that dang ship.

The Romulans love it so dang much they never use anything else!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Romulan Star Empire? More like Romulan Star Eliminated.

Thanks I'll be here all night.

Romulus, on the other hand, will not be :haw:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

nine-gear crow posted:

In a way, all-night is all it's ever gonna be now

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

No Dignity posted:

Hey, they use a scout ship twice, and a science ship once!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I still maintain that people tend to overstate its power, and in-show it's generally depicted as roughly on par with a Galaxy, not much more powerful. The Romulans like to skate by on seeming more powerful than they are.

At time of early TNG it seems pretty consistently portrayed as a technologically inferior but on raw power close 1v1 match to the Galaxy class when that was brand new, but as time passes it gets pretty rough for them, it gets to the point where they seem to be maybe on par with Starfleet's new tougher mid-range ships.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like the thought of Starfleet Intelligence overestimating its power and then revising it downward over the couple of interactions

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The thing is though for every one warbird you can see there's 2 or 3 waiting to pop out of their cloak at a dramatically appropriate time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Yeah, Romulans kinda sucked in the tcg

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

nine-gear crow posted:

I hate that I love this.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Potential crew member for my dream Star Trek tv series: A Romulan member of Starfleet who expresses their ingrained desire to be plotting/scheming/betraying through childish pranks. Syncing the transporters with opening of a door to materialise a bucket of water over the Captain's head when they enter their quarters etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Potential crew member for my dream Star Trek tv series: A Romulan member of Starfleet who expresses their ingrained desire to be plotting/scheming/betraying through childish pranks. Syncing the transporters with opening of a door to materialise a bucket of water over the Captain's head when they enter their quarters etc.
Lmao I love this

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pwnstar posted:

Doing this to Captain Pike's magnificent mane would rightfully get you exiled to the dilithium mines of Rura Penthe

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zoux posted:

The Vidiians were so gross, the one thing that Voyager definitely did was earn its costuming and makeup accolades.

I will never miss an opportunity to complain about how wasted the Vidiians were in Voyager. Very cool concept for a race, great potential for a good arch from enemy to ally, lots of potential for exploring their history and the beginning of the phage, and best of all, they have a great sympathetic motivation for doing horrible things. I wish they could somehow get a second chance, even if they got an off screen cure later.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

watching the baseball episode of DS9, are Vulcans really such braggarts? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention in the other Treks

edit: oh my god, Odo is having too much fun being an umpire

Aces High fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 11, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aces High posted:

watching the baseball episode of DS9, are Vulcans really such braggarts? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention in the other Treks

Yes, yes they are. Vorik and Tuvok smug it up a lot on Voyager, so do the random Vulcans we see on TNG.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Remember, Vulcans are gaslighting rage monsters barely kept in check by humans, not the other way around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aces High posted:

edit: oh my god, Odo is having too much fun being an umpire

A lot of the Vulcans with a name are. Though there’s a fun detail at the end which suggests it may just be the captain in this case.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

I like the thought of Starfleet Intelligence overestimating its power and then revising it downward over the couple of interactions

It's the Romulan MiG-25

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Vulcans are basically That Guy who doesn't have junk food/meat/alcohol and can't believe why everyone doesn't do the same. Plus with their whole semi-religious society they are big on tutting at us poor sinners and spilling the tea.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The rage monster inside of every Vulcan made it extra funny in Into Darkness when Khan was talking down to Spock.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Sometimes it's funny to think that as much as we know about Vulcans in the abstract we have no idea how their society works at all. Who or what rules Vulcan? What do they do if loads of people Ponn Farr at the same time?
etc etc

Again I know Star Trek just isn't interested in worldbuilding at all but it's still funny

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
TOS basically implies that kids are betrothed from birth or near enough so that they have a guaranteed sexual partner for their first Pon Farr. The big ritual fighting only happens when their claim to a partner is challenged which only seemed to happen with Spock because Spock is weird by Vulcan standards.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I assume that the crazy psychic powers and the relative peace compared to what Vulcans were like before Surak and what we see the Romulans are like is normally considered worth it. Even if there are occasional Vulcans who reject Surak's ways and either get space aids or become messianic figures.

Taear posted:

Sometimes it's funny to think that as much as we know about Vulcans in the abstract we have no idea how their society works at all. Who or what rules Vulcan? What do they do if loads of people Ponn Farr at the same time?
etc etc

Again I know Star Trek just isn't interested in worldbuilding at all but it's still funny

The impression I got was that the writers or showrunners for the later series were uncomfortable or hesitant to add much onto the Vulcan worldbuilding for a long while, at least until Enterprise rolled around and was unafraid of mucking things up. With Romulans I feel like there was a similar hesitancy to nail anything down until JJ Abrams killed them all off because he thought the entire franchise was being rebooted with a new continuity.

As opposed to the Cardassians practically only really featuring in one series and a couple episodes of another, and getting way more proportional worldbuilding in that series than most Trek races do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spock can read minds through doors in TOS, there's an episode where the Big 3 are locked up by someone (Maybe Day of the Dove?) and Spock uses that ability to help them break out

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, not Day of the Dove. I think it's A Taste of Armageddon and/or By Any Other Name. But you're right: this is a power that, as far as I know, is never mentioned again beyond maybe season two of TOS.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Isn't there some weird amplification happening with the room/cave they're in that let's him do that?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Taear posted:

What do they do if loads of people Ponn Farr at the same time?
I bet there are some holonovels that explore this concept in depth.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

A lot of the Vulcans with a name are. Though there’s a fun detail at the end which suggests it may just be the captain in this case.

The senior staff on both sides mostly seemed to be into it for the fun of the game which makes the whole situation of Sisko and Solok thinking the real goal is to revive an old college rivalry even better tbh

Also the irony of Ent messing with things on Vulcan is that the show is so up its rear end in the spirit of the times that on rewatch the Vulcans more often than not come off as 100% right about Archer specifically and often Earth in general.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 11, 2023

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Spock can also hypnotise people from across a room by staring into their eyes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The impression I got was that the writers or showrunners for the later series were uncomfortable or hesitant to add much onto the Vulcan worldbuilding for a long while, at least until Enterprise rolled around and was unafraid of mucking things up. With Romulans I feel like there was a similar hesitancy to nail anything down until JJ Abrams killed them all off because he thought the entire franchise was being rebooted with a new continuity.

As opposed to the Cardassians practically only really featuring in one series and a couple episodes of another, and getting way more proportional worldbuilding in that series than most Trek races do.

From reading the trivia with TNG, DS9 and (to a lesser extent) Voyager it just doesn't feel like the writers care at all about "what comes next". There's a story they want to tell and that's sort of it, gently caress anything else like worldbuilding or etc.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I bet there are some holonovels that explore this concept in depth.

:geno: I am a virgin in that way

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That's nothing. Spock can hypnotize fans through a TV screen

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No, not Day of the Dove. I think it's A Taste of Armageddon and/or By Any Other Name. But you're right: this is a power that, as far as I know, is never mentioned again beyond maybe season two of TOS.

In “Taste of Armageddon” Spock mind-melds a guy through a wall, after disclaiming to Kirk that it might not work. In “By Any Other Name” he tries it again on the Kelvans (in a rare piece of continuity, they reference “Armageddon” here) but this time he gets mind-blasted, I guess because Kelvans are hardcore. Going the other way, he also has a Ben Kenobi moment where he senses a shipful of Vulcans eating poo poo in “Immunity Syndrome”. In TOS alone, I’d say the implication is that Vulcans have a hard time doing telepathic stuff without physical contact, but it is possible.

Obviously in the movies we see stronger Vulcan magic with soul-transfers and stuff like that. And jumping to TNG, the McGuffin in “Gambit” is an ancient Vulcan weapon that harnesses psychic powers to make (non-Surakite) people explode.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That was just Leonard Nimoy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wrong thread

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Taear posted:

From reading the trivia with TNG, DS9 and (to a lesser extent) Voyager it just doesn't feel like the writers care at all about "what comes next". There's a story they want to tell and that's sort of it, gently caress anything else like worldbuilding or etc.

It's very true that the writers weren't concerned with what comes next, but that's not on its own why Vulcans didn't get built up. There wouldn't be any worldbuilding if that were the case.

I think there's just some thing where writers just didn't want to have fun diving into Vulcan weirdness (or weren't allowed to because the Vulcans were too important to mess around with). I think it contrasts most with how Klingons may be the most built-up Trek race that the writers just had so much fun diving into again and again. Part of that may be just everybody seemingly being onboard and on the same page for what a warrior race would entail; everybody finds that archetype compelling and understandable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's very true that the writers weren't concerned with what comes next, but that's not on its own why Vulcans didn't get built up. There wouldn't be any worldbuilding if that were the case.

I think there's just some thing where writers just didn't want to have fun diving into Vulcan weirdness (or weren't allowed to because the Vulcans were too important to mess around with). I think it contrasts most with how Klingons may be the most built-up Trek race that the writers just had so much fun diving into again and again. Part of that may be just everybody seemingly being onboard and on the same page for what a warrior race would entail; everybody finds that archetype compelling and understandable.

I disagree and would say the ONLY reason Klingons are fleshed out is that we have Worf in TNG (and no vulcan characters in TNG or DS9) so they kinda have to explore them
And because of the Klingon War arc in DS9

They're sorta FORCED to engage with Klingons in that way and not with any other race

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Vulcans are also supposed to be mysterious and, in a sense, superior to humans, which makes it harder to write compelling lore. If their society is truly better and more enlightened than ours, it's hard for one of us to imagine it basically. But Klingons are just big angry dudes, no problem writing that. And also more fun.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
fwiw the Andorians got some of that issue (partially because the TNG showrunners after Roddenberry hated the idea of reintroducing even an Andorian side character, even though TVH showed you could absolutely make the andorian makeup look good if you put some love into it) - afair the only reason TNG even touches on Vulcan directly is because of the Spock and Sarek guest episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm gonna defend the showrunners a bit: it might not feel like they're that interested in building up the world, but they're not fans, they're workers. Like, they care and they want to do well, but they're working on scripts and production and everything day after day, week in week out in a 3/4ths of the year marathon where they're scrambling to get an episode of an extremely involved sci-fi show out weekly. Star Trek has had some really, really dedicated creatives who really care about getting it right, and largely during the "classic" period they did pretty well. So I'm honestly not gonna bang on them for not spending a lot of time doing the nitty-gritty of Vulcan or Andorian or Romulan culture because frankly, the actual shows don't have that time or energy, they've got to produce an episode that most of the time someone channel flipping can sit down and watch and enjoy plot and characters in ~45 minutes.