Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ansarallah ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

i think this is less because the f-105 was especially unsuited to vietnam and more because it was the plane that was the most exposed to aa fire due to its mission profile. the other century series planes would certainly not have fared any better if they had tried to do the same things that the f-105 did

To me that makes it sound like the Century series might not have been ideal planes for Vietnam, unless you just want to use them like AC-47 and only use them in places where they wouldn't come under fire. Which again to me doesn't bode well for use in the War people thought they would have fought

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
iirc, in the war that they were made to fight it was assumed that most of the planes would be shot down and this was considered an acceptable tradeoff

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

it makes one wonder what percentage of modern planes will be shot down, and at what cost. I'm feeling like the maximum dps build f-35 can carry the entire team with minimal losses and will successfully rush the enemy base.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

iirc, in the war that they were made to fight it was assumed that most of the planes would be shot down and this was considered an acceptable tradeoff

Fair point. But over all I think the point stands that the Century series didn't hold up well under combat in Vietnam. Compared to something like the F-111 late in the war, which flew thoudands of combat missions only for handful of losses. Though it is funny the F-111 is yet anther plane designated a fighter but was only ever used as a bomber

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think it's less that a plane like the f-105 was unsuited to vietnam and more that the pavn air force and air defense dudes were really loving good at their jobs

also the f-111 had few losses because it could fly really low and really fast, but before it came into service there just wasn't a plane that could do those things simultaneously and i don't think they even had the tech to build one back when the century series planes were designed

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

this poo poo rocks, more poo poo like this and random twitter accounts posting about how the sons of the patriots are totally assassinating mahmoud abbas

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Newsweek/status/1722897019419734083?s=20

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
when was the last time that americans actually fought to defend their country? the war of 1812 or something?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

when was the last time that americans actually fought to defend their country? the war of 1812 or something?

February 2, 2013

EDIT: also ten days after that

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"the us loses a base in syria or iraq" is going on my list

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

zetamind2000 posted:

Why stop at one? They burned through all their interceptor stockpiles. Unless they plan to shoot down the endless supply of lawnmower drones with LSWs they're flat out of luck. To say nothing if heavier stuff flies in.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
countdown to dien bien two

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

i think this is less because the f-105 was especially unsuited to vietnam and more because it was the plane that was the most exposed to aa fire due to its mission profile. the other century series planes would certainly not have fared any better if they had tried to do the same things that the f-105 did

Exactly. Remember F-100 wasn’t even allowed to fly over North Vietnam, it was restricted to missions down south.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zetamind2000 posted:

This wouldn't be a problem if the Pentagon had followed Trump's bodyguard's orders.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Kids used to join the military so they could complete feats of physical strength, but now they can just watch tik toks of people exercising instead.

quote:

Eustice, who served 26 years in the Minnesota National Guard, noted that young adults were the military's prime target for new recruits—currently Generation Z, or those born after 1997—and argued that growing up in the internet age had made them used to "immediate gratification."

"There's so many choices out there; we're an a la carte society," he said. "You can have it if you want to have it, you can have it delivered to you. Almost anything is a swipe or click away." In a world where a college degree can be earned from a bedroom, Eustice suggested, the rigor of training could appear unappealing.

Having observed his young children watching videos on the internet of feats of physical activity, Henderson said they were "getting that dopamine hit" of seeing someone accomplish something physically taxing, "but their body didn't go through it. And that's where the disconnect really comes in."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
You can have more poo poo delivered for cheaper in China. Is the PLA struggling with recruitment?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

zetamind2000 posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FF I'm gonna recommend ...

quote:

The Baghdad Air Mail is the personal narrative of Wing Commander Roderic Hill's time flying the Air Route from Cairo to Baghdad. The Air Mail Route was conceived by the British in Cairo in 1921 to overcome the difficulties of land communication between Palestine, Iraq, and Egypt. Run by the RAF until 1926 using a number of different planes, the pilots carried both mail and passengers over inhospitable landscapes, often in perilous conditions. Hill's own experiences detailed in the later chapters of the book reflect the hazards of air travel for the pilots of this route. He also gives a fascinating insight into life in the early 20th century for a British airman and provides compelling descriptions of the landscapes and people he encountered during his time on the job.

it's barely military related but it's a fantastic account of hardy conditions and a life of steely adventure piloting a fragile contraption of fabric across the Middle East

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So why does the US have bases inside Iraq? Is it because they forced the Iraqi to sign a forever lease like in Cuba?

(I know the actual reason is they are stealing oil.)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

No, the authorization for US troops to be based there was not extended by the Iraqi government in 2011.

But then ISIS happened, you see. So as a temporary, emergency measure, US forces are based in Iraq and Syria until ISIS is defeated.

Weird how that happened eh?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Who decides when ISIS is defeated again?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

me

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Taking your goddamn time huh

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

So why does the US have bases inside Iraq? Is it because they forced the Iraqi to sign a forever lease like in Cuba?

(I know the actual reason is they are stealing oil.)

the us never removes all its troops from a country voluntarily

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The US does have leverage over Baghdad by it having to operate M1 tanks as well as F-16s, so everything has to go through US supply chains. They are getting some Russian equipment, but the majority is American still.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The US does have leverage over Baghdad by it having to operate M1 tanks as well as F-16s, so everything has to go through US supply chains. They are getting some Russian equipment, but the majority is American still.

Don't they have their accounts still running over US banks or did they fix this? US supply chains for toys is a medium term problem.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Kids used to join the military so they could complete feats of physical strength, but now they can just watch tik toks of people exercising instead.

No one wants to die anymore.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Don't they have their accounts still running over US banks or did they fix this? US supply chains for toys is a medium term problem.

They use SWIFT, but arguably, it is an issue if Iraq wants to defend itself against the US itself. It took years for Iran to get a supply chain together for its f-14s.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Votskomit posted:

No one wants to die anymore.

thread subtitle

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

One of the big developments that marked the transition from slavery to feudalism in social modes of production was the appearance of the mutual oaths, a combination of Roman legal perceptions and Germanic personal vows. As the empire crumbled and patrician estates became semi-isolated holdouts, said estates required workers to make them viable; decentralization and loss of infrastructure compounded with Christianity to turn the latifundia slave and urban plebeian into the feudal serf and commoner. Through ritual, custom and fancy words, the mutual oath was simply the enacting of a social contract: "I need your work in my lands; in exchange, I give you the right to produce your food and you have my protection; to maintain and care my estate and base of power I shall tax you and all commoners under my service; you will follow my laws and I shall attend to your safety."

Marxists argue that one of the most deceiving aspects of capitalism is the illusion over one's place over the social contract of labor. Slavery and feudalism are less developed forms, but there was crystal clarity over who works and what do you get from your work and who gets the big share and why they get it. But mutual oaths carried also clear obligations - and this relationship was rather effective socially. In more militant places, a peasant revolt could ruin a noble house. "I serve; but our obligation is a mutual bond."

What does this have to do with American recruitment in 2023, and elsewhere?

The ideal of a volunteer army can only happen if its society delivers. It's not about money (otherwise it's no better than mercenaries), it's about the social conditions that can create a motive of cause. If economic conditions are poo poo, especially when you know your predecessors had it better than you and the people around you are in the same boat, well... It's hard to make a cause when people of that society know that the older social arrangement allowed for workers to buy houses and now they can't. The same about having access to education, to healthcare, to culture, etc.

Neoliberalism, very much proper for a manifestation of late capitalism, cannot make even modest adjustments to its social contract in order to help itself. It prefers to suffer the loss of material power rather than losing value extraction. And welp that makes hard to have a competent fighting force lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But wait what happens when your value extraction is based on exploitation maintained by military force?? - literally nobody in power

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Iraq already attempted to kick the US out of the country once and the US response was to say no and dare them to do anything about it, which they ultimately didn't

the US has made it very clear that if Iraq wants independence the only way it's getting it is by fighting another war

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Nov 12, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mister Bates posted:

Iraq already attempted to kick the US out of the country once and the US response was to say no and dare them to do anything about it, which they ultimately didn't

the US has made it very clear that if Iraq wants independence the only way it's getting it is by fighting another war

The US is also pretty quiet about its bases getting continually hit in Iraq. The Iraqi state seems very much like the Lebanese state, it just sort of exists, and the facts on the ground are just going to be decided by other entities.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

The Kurds had literally no other options tbh, especially with the Iraqi Kurds not supporting the Syrian Kurds. With what's happening in Israel, I dread what's gonna come through.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/JoeBiden/status/1723468898668822864?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dead gay comedy forums posted:

One of the big developments that marked the transition from slavery to feudalism in social modes of production was the appearance of the mutual oaths, a combination of Roman legal perceptions and Germanic personal vows. As the empire crumbled and patrician estates became semi-isolated holdouts, said estates required workers to make them viable; decentralization and loss of infrastructure compounded with Christianity to turn the latifundia slave and urban plebeian into the feudal serf and commoner. Through ritual, custom and fancy words, the mutual oath was simply the enacting of a social contract: "I need your work in my lands; in exchange, I give you the right to produce your food and you have my protection; to maintain and care my estate and base of power I shall tax you and all commoners under my service; you will follow my laws and I shall attend to your safety."

I've never felt so understood on this forum 🙏

(PS, Prayer hands come from the traditional gesture of fealty to a patron and later liege, kneeling and placing your hands in theirs)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I've never felt so understood on this forum 🙏

(PS, Prayer hands come from the traditional gesture of fealty to a patron and later liege, kneeling and placing your hands in theirs)

didn’t the barbarian kingdoms maintain separate legal systems, with Germanic law for the Germanics and Roman law for everyone else? are later systems descended from one set in particular with the other one falling out of use or did they end up with a single synthesized system when the distinction between Roman and barbarian disappeared?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

especially wrt property stuff modern law comes direct from roman law and is real lame and cruel.
english common law is less just a direct continuation of roman law than continental Europe but its still fruit of the same tree and influenced by it

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah that's the summary I picked up from the Mike Duncan podcast. A centralized empire turned into a bunch of petty kingdoms. They refused to provide levies and so Rome ceased to function.

Edit: still, the state collapsed because it didn't have the support of the ruling class anymore. Which is a reason states collapse to this day. Dunno what that says for neoliberalism, but it can't be anything good.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Nov 12, 2023