Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I still haven't received any kind of message relating to adblockers, using Firefox, uBlock, and Ghostery.

I also pay for cell service through Google Fi and cloud storage through my Google account, and I stay logged in for YouTube.

I wonder if there's some kind of flag on accounts that already pay for Google services, because they're already getting my money in other ways.

Or maybe I'm just lucky with the uBlock filters, idk.

Saalkin posted:

Ads on YouTube are also really loving strange sometimes.

Me and my roommate were watching something on YouTube on the tv awhile back and got an ad that was a tutorial and demonstration of how to excrete a dogs anal glands. We were dumbfounded the whole time and watched the whole drat thing.

lol if that's the ad that YouTube convinced you to watch all the way through, I can only imagine what the algorithm will start serving up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The only youtube ads I get are from when I watch on my phone. They're all in spanish because I like shakira

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Arc Light posted:

lol if that's the ad that YouTube convinced you to watch all the way through, I can only imagine what the algorithm will start serving up

Tbf I haven't got anything that strange since.

Being in Canada sometimes I'll get French ads, usually for laundry detergent but I'm not in Quebec so I dunno wtf sometimes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

No "adblock is theft!" message for me yet, either. I have a pretty active, albiet small, youtube channel and wonder if that has something to do with it. Or maybe the whole thing is falling apart and was a bad idea to begin with.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Again, I don't see any way there's significant percentage of people even using the things. You gotta understand even using extensions on your browser at all puts you in the "weirdo" level of the computer literacy iceberg.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Milo and POTUS posted:

The only youtube ads I get are from when I watch on my phone. They're all in spanish because I like shakira

Oh baby when you block my ads
You make a platform get mad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Again, I don't see any way there's significant percentage of people even using the things. You gotta understand even using extensions on your browser at all puts you in the "weirdo" level of the computer literacy iceberg.

Also seems like the adblocking crowd would make for a bad audience anyway, these are the people who hate ads enough to do something about it and finally sneaking some past them doesn't seem like it would do you any good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've been getting blocked a lot less lately. And when I am blocked, I just watch videos by pressing Share and Embed on YouTube. It's extremely funny to me that such an easy workaround works.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Any chance that they are only really interested in phone users but just spammed everyone because why the hell not? :thunk:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha remember when you would actually check your phone when you got a call because it might be a person instead of a spammer?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My workplace adblocker (which I believe is just the free adblocker for firefox) is working around 90% of the time to prevent youtube ads. Sometimes I have to open a new tab to get it to start working again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ded posted:

firefox + ublock + dont be logged in = i've still never seen these ads or ad gripes

Yep. This is what I've been doing. I copy all links and open them in FF with ublock and not being signed in.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

can somebody tell me what a nikke is and why I would want to collect them

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Oh yeah?! Well then, YOUTUBE blockers aren't allowed in ADS! How do you like THAT, fancy boys?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Khanstant posted:

Also seems like the adblocking crowd would make for a bad audience anyway, these are the people who hate ads enough to do something about it and finally sneaking some past them doesn't seem like it would do you any good.

The key is the people placing the ads, who care if they work, are not google. Google gets paid for showing them. And there is no way for the companies placing ads to only place them where it will not spread hatred for their products. So they either give up on online advertising (correct, but a tough sell to marketing departments) or accept that some portion of ads will just go in front of people that hate them.

Given that report that a huge portion of ad clicks were fake, and how it didn’t really dent online ad spending, I think they’ll just choose to antagonize people.

Plus, as noted, caring at all puts you in a tiny minority.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Bro Dad posted:

can somebody tell me what a nikke is and why I would want to collect them

Do they come in pog form?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Currently for me, blocked on Chrome, working on Firefox (no script/UBlock), working on Brave (ublock) which has also been set to block all cookies. Logged into Chrome/Firefox, cookie blocking prevents login on Brave.

That doesn't always last, but I've made my playlists private and just copy the link into Brave when I want to listen to that selection.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Khanstant posted:

I feel like adblock users right now might be studied, siloed, and A-B tested (or whatever asinine software developer jargon applies).

It's possible this might simply be a blunt escalation in the overall war of a megacompany versus its users, but with all the different experiences I'm reading in this thread, it also seems possible to me that there's a behavior study going on. In other words, maybe this isn't the onslaught, maybe it's the probing. They're curiously poking the anthill.

The variety of experiences are admittedly just more likely due to the variety of setups people have as well.

At any rate, here's my experience: I just blocked the Adblockers Are Not Allowed thing and haven't been bothered since. I let uBlock update itself and mostly leave it alone.

But in the past I have also manually blocked a bunch of other unwanted items YouTube has:
  • the "videowall" of thumbnails that shows up after every video
  • the "shorts" thing that you can't get rid of permanently ("Ok, we'll bring it back in a month!")
  • All youtube comments
  • The sidebar showing you other videos you could be watching while you watch the video you want to watch (STFU and just play the video)

So maybe I'm lucky, maybe I've somehow preemptively shielded myself against their more aggressive adblock-blocking, maybe my behavior is just being studied right now, maybe I'm overthinking it because this is very entertaining...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Akratic Method posted:

And there is no way for the companies placing ads to only place them where it will not spread hatred for their products. So they either give up on online advertising (correct, but a tough sell to marketing departments) or accept that some portion of ads will just go in front of people that hate them.
This is what all the tracking and data harvesting and profiling is supposed to solve

Except it doesn’t because that’s all a scam as well, only the rubes are the advertisers

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'all, I really can't stress enough that "well it hasn't happened for me, therefore I did something right" is ignoring the fact that they're not rolling this out to everybody right away, and even randomizing when you raise to the next tier.

If it hasn't hit you yet, it will. You didn't do something rad none of us could figure out. They do this to bury the mountain of bad reactions they'd get if they fully rolled it out to everybody all at once.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I have managed to evade getting bothered by the warning. Every few days or so it seems (with uBlock) that on video pages I can't scroll, but it's fixed by clearing the uBlock's cache and re-downloading all the filter lists.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LividLiquid posted:

Y'all, I really can't stress enough that "well it hasn't happened for me, therefore I did something right" is ignoring the fact that they're not rolling this out to everybody right away, and even randomizing when you raise to the next tier.

If it hasn't hit you yet, it will. You didn't do something rad none of us could figure out. They do this to bury the mountain of bad reactions they'd get if they fully rolled it out to everybody all at once.

Yep. I forgot to mention this, with my amateur fiddling with YouTube, plus whatever scripts they're running, I now have to click on a video three times before it will play.

Worth never seeing an ad.

Anyway, whatever they do, I don't care. YouTube is not a friggin lifeline.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
They started the A/B tests of this like 8 months ago, we're in the full deployment stage now

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
How does YouTube react to something like PiHole? Has anyone tried?

I also tried using the free public DNS for Ad Guard, but it was letting YouTube ads through if I turned off my browser ad blockers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Weird, tried it after waking up and now it works. :shrug:

Maybe they are experimenting on us

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Zero VGS posted:

I also tried using the free public DNS for Ad Guard, but it was letting YouTube ads through if I turned off my browser ad blockers.

DNS based blocking doesn't block a noticeable number of youtube ads alone but a pi-hole should perform better than Ad Guard because it has more lists

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, it's starting to feel like a weird sword of Damocles. So far I've just been trying to get as much info about the whole thing before it hits me, but who's been affected and who hasn't seems pretty random.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I haven't been harassed by the popup since I refreshed the ublock lists the first time, but when I was watching G1 Transformers an ad randomly made it through one time and I haven't seen any since.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

Pi-hole is useless for Youtube.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm watching about 6-8 hours of YT per day while gaming, history & tech content with the extremely rare song thrown into the mix.

If i start getting strikes and adverts i'll just watch more Twitch (currently negating their advert spam as well, extension: Alternate Player for Twitch.tv).

APTTV has problems, or did when I was using it. It doesn't let you store favourite emotes from streams other than the one you're watching, and it locks you out of mod tools.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

APTTV has problems, or did when I was using it. It doesn't let you store favourite emotes from streams other than the one you're watching, and it locks you out of mod tools.

Probably true, i never log into twitch any more so all of that is irrelevant for me, just watch. :shrug:

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Zero VGS posted:

"Ad blockers are not allowed on Chrome" is going to be next, mark my words.

That's so weird, I could've sworn they've done something like that already .

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I want to remind people that invidious exists as an alternative youtube interface and kagi as well as many plugins will seamlessly redirect you to an invidious instance.

Also since we’re talking about personalized results; The raise/lower/pin/block feature of kagi gives me better personalized results than Google gave me back in 2010 when they were still cool. It’s freaking amazing when you search some topic and the first result isn’t even Reddit but a Something Awful thread.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 11, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Seven Force posted:

That's so weird, I could've sworn they've done something like that already .

The whole reason I jumped ship to Firefox last year was I heard some general Chromium update due in February was setting the stage to do exactly that. If anything I’m surprised it still hasn’t happened yet.

Still not had a warning, and SmartTube continued to be fine on my TV, for now. On my laptop I did notice that Opera might be affected (got invalid error messages trying to use a regular YT > mp3 ripper while it still works fine on Firefox) but that’s about it so far.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

The whole reason I jumped ship to Firefox last year was I heard some general Chromium update due in February was setting the stage to do exactly that. If anything I’m surprised it still hasn’t happened yet.

They did change to Manifest V3, but the big thing was that they wouldn't have backwards compatibility with V2, which has the Web Request stuff that adblockers use. But afaik, they've delayed removing V2 functionaiity indefinitely.

I had honestly kind of forgotten about that, I wonder if/when they'll push for that again.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

They're from like Worcester so I was trying to be marginally nice, out of pity.

I do the first two, and I know not being logged in seals the deal, but logging out of YT logs me out of Gmail and Google Voice, which is not so good. Incognito messes up my whole organizational system with 5000 open tabs.

do you really need to be logged into gmail 1440 mins, 7 days a week? (also same with any other account tbh)

also have you thought that the reason ff has memory RAM issues is you have 5000 tabs open? some of them might even be months or even year(s) old?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I use Auto Tab Discard for that, tabs still look open but they're not doing anything.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I will say that Cyberpunk 2077 gets the presentation of the future right in that when you're in the city, you're getting ads (fake ones, though) blasted at you from everywhere. A cacophony of noise. It's quite immersive and depressing.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Floodixor posted:

I will say that Cyberpunk 2077 gets the presentation of the future right in that when you're in the city, you're getting ads (fake ones, though) blasted at you from everywhere. A cacophony of noise. It's quite immersive and depressing.

Awful those should be ads for real products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What really makes me not want to put up with this nonsense is that Google inserts ads and sponsored links into everything. My Pixel phone is now looks like I'm browsing Amazon if I dare search for anything on the web or play store. Maps is terrible. Even if you hit the "find a burger place near me" the first two results are sponsored links for a restaurant one city over.

I just bought a new (to me) nVidia Shield which is an Android TV box. The home screen features a wall of noise for free services I'll never use and also an ad for Kia. Now I could download a new launcher but Google blocks that now. I bought loving hardware and they are forcing me to use their interface to push me ads. I'm not even using their services, ,just playing locally over Plex. So why am I being forced to view ads?