Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Schrute Nation posted:

Similarly, I'd like to be able to share a single post like I can online.

When I send someone a link it's instead the whole page, and they can't find what I'm trying to show them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717&pagenumber=205&perpage=40&userid=0#post535259305

I clicked the three dots on your post and selected Copy URL. Is this not what you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
They might mean share a post in a way where it looks nice and readable in other apps without having to go into the actual app.

For example, how you can share a tweet into messages and it shows up nice and formatted where you can read it without having to actually tap it and be taken into twitter.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't remember how you make the app default to bookmarks view. I thought it was a widget but I don't have the widget on the Pixel 8 Pro. Am I blind?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

I guess they mean an app that doesn't require a :10bux: SA account.

Just buy your friends an account already.

Yeah, my idea is that it's easier to sell with a free sample kinda deal instead of having to pay the :10bux:. If they're at all into it I'm gonna buy them accounts, sure, but it's gonna be weird to tell them I spent money for them to post before they read a few threads

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nalin posted:

I don't remember how you make the app default to bookmarks view. I thought it was a widget but I don't have the widget on the Pixel 8 Pro. Am I blind?

Long press on the app in the app drawer and you should have a bookmarks option you can drag out as its own shortcut

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Party Boat posted:

Long press on the app in the app drawer and you should have a bookmarks option you can drag out as its own shortcut

So that's how it works on a Pixel phone. Thanks. It looks a lot worse than a Samsung phone, though. That kinda sucks.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nalin posted:

So that's how it works on a Pixel phone. Thanks. It looks a lot worse than a Samsung phone, though. That kinda sucks.

It works the same way on my Samsung phone...

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

threads are not being sorted by last post date for me. can't figure out what criteria they're sorted by but this is even affecting stickied threads. anyone else having this problem?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hatebag posted:

threads are not being sorted by last post date for me. can't figure out what criteria they're sorted by but this is even affecting stickied threads. anyone else having this problem?

Maybe showing unread threads first?

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

Uthor posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717&pagenumber=205&perpage=40&userid=0#post535259305

I clicked the three dots on your post and selected Copy URL. Is this not what you want?

I'm looking for a way to send the below link to my non-SA friends so they only see one post. I'm not sure how this will look in Awful, however.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=535260689

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Uthor posted:

Maybe showing unread threads first?

yep, that was it. i figured it was some dumb thing i did, thanks!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kheldarn posted:

It works the same way on my Samsung phone...

My old Galaxy S10+ had the full Awful logo instead of the bookmark logo with a tiny frog head in the corner.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Schrute Nation posted:

I'm looking for a way to send the below link to my non-SA friends so they only see one post. I'm not sure how this will look in Awful, however.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=535260689

I tapped that link in Awful to see what would happen, and I got a toast saying, "Special notice from El Jeffe: That thread was not found in the live forums."

It then replaced the link with text saying, "Loading post. Please wait…", but nothing else happened.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is it possible to put in a feature request to have the app not give me a pop up message when I get a PM from someone on my ignore list? This doesn't happen on the website and you don't get email notifications anymore either when you ignore someone but yeah TIL, still happens in the app.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I've only ever been on the web browser version of something awful like twice and I really didn't enjoy the layout compared to the app. I think a free way to browse the forum on this app would be fantastic and beneficial and hopefully help in bringing in a few new members. - a relative new user.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anyway we could get custom plat icons showing up in the app? I want to see my cool pumpkin

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Opopanax posted:

Anyway we could get custom plat icons showing up in the app? I want to see my cool pumpkin

:same:

:spooky::hf::spooky:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
that's the only reason I haven't bought one yet

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Opopanax posted:

:yeah:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

iOS app got x.com embeds and someone said it was added to desktop as well? Haven't checked to be honest. If this is someting like updating some regex somewhere or adding a thing to a list, can we get it too?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Flipperwaldt posted:

iOS app got x.com embeds and someone said it was added to desktop as well? Haven't checked to be honest. If this is someting like updating some regex somewhere or adding a thing to a list, can we get it too?

alternatively, autoban anyone that links to x.com in a post

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Zoya posted:

alternatively, autoban anyone that links to x.com in a post
I mean sure, if there's a way to do that platform wide.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just wanted to upload a picture I took with my phone with the awful app on that phone.
I tried file attachment mode. Asked it said I didn't grant file access permission. But in the app info on play it says that the app has requested no permissions so I can't grant any.

How do I beat post picture to sa from my phone these days?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

VictualSquid posted:

I just wanted to upload a picture I took with my phone with the awful app on that phone.
I tried file attachment mode. Asked it said I didn't grant file access permission. But in the app info on play it says that the app has requested no permissions so I can't grant any.

How do I beat post picture to sa from my phone these days?

i assume this is just How It Be cuz same, i tried a bunch of ways to "force" android into giving it the permission but it doesn't want it

the easiest way to phonepost from the app is to click [bb] and then Insert Imgur, if you log into an imgur account you can upload to it straight from there

Opopanax posted:

still really badly want my beloved 🦇 platinum icon to show up in the app :cry:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Zoya posted:

i assume this is just How It Be cuz same, i tried a bunch of ways to "force" android into giving it the permission but it doesn't want it

the easiest way to phonepost from the app is to click [bb] and then Insert Imgur, if you log into an imgur account you can upload to it straight from there

I went through imgur. And it seems like the only way to upload from mobile without an account is to request the desktop site in your browser. Also annoying, especially as aweful has a button right there.

Also the app should have an automatic timg tags mode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dumb feature request/suggestion if you're taking them: a little warning banner, perhaps, if we hit quote on our own post, especially if the original was in the past, say, hour? "Are you sure you didn't want edit?"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Veto that suggestion as its funny when people make that mistake

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's fair.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if you are aware but viewing one users posts in a thread then exiting the thread without going back causes the post counter for the thread to go negative:

Not near a non-phone right now so I'm not sure if this is an SA thing or an Awful thing. Opening any page other than the last causes the number to become less negative, and opening the last page zeros it out.

I searched this thread and didn't see a similar report

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Not near a non-phone right now so I'm not sure if this is an SA thing or an Awful thing. Opening any page other than the last causes the number to become less negative, and opening the last page zeros it out.

This happened to me once too recently. I have no useful information to add other than that but, yeah I've never seen it outside the app.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

handle posted:

Yeah, sorry, it's an artifact of viewing a specific user's posts within a thread. Enough data is reused between the full thread and the filtered thread that unread post counts get screwy.

It's a known issue (in this thread at least)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Getting some connection errors, stuff isn't loading in the app. Just dropping a mention in case I'm not the only one.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's working now!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I figured it out, this is so funny. I'm on hotel wifi that blocks the Awful app but not the website. Weird!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

smoobles posted:

I figured it out, this is so funny. I'm on hotel wifi that blocks the Awful app but not the website. Weird!

I've seen weirder. There's a hospital wifi nearby that blocks the site, but not the app.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Zoya posted:

Opopanax posted:

:yeah:

:smithfrog:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Flipperwaldt posted:

This post is a bit old, but is there any plan to work on this?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Is there a way to define my own themes?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Hello is the Android app still being updated on Google Play? Says last update was in April, so do I need to upgrade my phone? I mean I understand and accept, with a heavy heart, if it's been relegated to abandonware, but I would still like to view x.com embeds the same as Twitter before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That sounds like a 'you' problem