Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This is Pirelli we’re talking about. The C5s are going to be rocks until they switch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MaoistBanker posted:

The temperature forecast for lights out on the 18th is 44F or 6C. LOL.

valtteri is already asking if he can drive butt rear end naked

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope so

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I assume the asphalt will retain some heat from earlier in the day, but I hope not too much

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Full Collapse posted:

This is Pirelli we’re talking about. The C5s are going to be rocks until they switch on.

Iirc pirelli people have already been interviewed and are saying "we're using the 3 softest comps and of course the drivers are going to complain about it loudly, grip will evolve slowly" and so on

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Just race on Blizzaks bing bong so simple

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm fairly sure they completely repaved most of the track's route within the past 6 months. This guy has a lot of video showing the track surface, also it's clearly carrying low speed road traffic, and is rather shiny lol

https://youtu.be/buwIcM0awww?si=xMETymzxqa5ChKP2

He makes some good points too lmao he fuckin' hates this

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The route is 99% new pavement I believe, and yes, it has been absolute hell for anyone visiting Las Vegas in the past 8 months.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wish it probably didn't require a horrific accident to get these morons to stop pulling this vaporware vanity street track poo poo

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I'm an old and so wont be staying up to the early morning hours to watch, but DVRing and watching a bunch of crashes over breakfast sounds fun

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm impressed that it appears to switch drastically between two kinds of pavement right at the apex of turns where it goes from stuff that's been paved and blocked off to stuff that's been repaved and carrying traffic for months. Do the race experts itt have experience with that they're able to share?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’d be more worried about the las vegas crew not welding the manhole covers shut properly

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

I'm fairly sure they completely repaved most of the track's route within the past 6 months. This guy has a lot of video showing the track surface, also it's clearly carrying low speed road traffic, and is rather shiny lol

https://youtu.be/buwIcM0awww?si=xMETymzxqa5ChKP2

He makes some good points too lmao he fuckin' hates this

lol I like how his video says "I'm walking the F1 course in Las Vegas " but in actual fact he just drives to several places and at no point walks anywhere.

Here's a video of a guy actually walking the track (apart from where you can't get), but it was 9 days ago, there's probably a better one now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_UeclTI1o&t=1s

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MaoistBanker posted:

Okay, be honest - how many of you not from North America thought it would be 100+F at night in November in Las Vegas?

i don't think there's many posters from the bahamas, cayman islands, palau, micronesia or marshall islands so the odds of any posters not from north america thinking it'll be over 100 farenheit at any place is slim to none

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

8 months a year preparing for a race doesn't seem like a great idea

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Why don’t they use winter tires? I had mine put on my Skoda, although it’s still a little too hot outside still for optimum performance

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Knitting Beetles posted:

Why don’t they use winter tires? I had mine put on my Skoda, although it’s still a little too hot outside still for optimum performance

they only have inters because a fraudulent dutchman has been stealing all the w's

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i drove through snow and ice yesterday on my all seasons, wasnt too bad. i was using 4x4 hi though and drove p slow. ill put my blizzaks on in maybe 2-4 weeks. thanks for listneing

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I put on the winters a couple of weeks ago when the cold weather snapped, so of course I'm looking at 60 degree days for the next 2 weeks in the forecast. owned.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I assume the asphalt will retain some heat from earlier in the day, but I hope not too much

Sunset will be at 4:30pm so I expect a lot of it will have bled off by quali/race time

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

(w)inter tires

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Just have Pirelli ship Sottozeros to Vegas

Christ do I have to think of everything around here?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the Blizzak is overhyped since most people are driving in the winter in what’s more like iceyor mixed conditions, not actual deep snow. For this reason I present for consideration the Michelin X-Ice 3 for more usual winter conditions.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqFDA595SzQ

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think the Blizzak is overhyped since most people are driving in the winter in what’s more like iceyor mixed conditions, not actual deep snow. For this reason I present for consideration the Michelin X-Ice 3 for more usual winter conditions.

no this is idiotic the blizzaks dmv2 are excellent in mixed do you not have plows or something

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

no this is idiotic the blizzaks dmv2 are excellent in mixed

When I bought my X-Ice’s years ago the differentiating thing I heard from owners who had tried both is that Blizzaks wear really fast. I’m on season like six of my X-Ices and they’re great, though also I put very little mileage on my car in the winter since I live very close to essentials and don’t take any road trips.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Considering 90% of people are not giving a poo poo after the drivers’ championship is decided, all the calendar dates left should revert to stupid gimmick races, like Las Vegas, F1 Pikes Peak, a race track shaped like an 8 with a jump on the crossing and, I dunno, a Forza Horizon Hot Wheels track over an active volcano caldera.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mokotow posted:

Considering 90% of people are not giving a poo poo after the drivers’ championship is decided, all the calendar dates left should revert to stupid gimmick races, like Las Vegas, F1 Pikes Peak, a race track shaped like an 8 with a jump on the crossing and, I dunno, a Forza Horizon Hot Wheels track over an active volcano caldera.

I'm with you on the figure 8, but no jump :twisted:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Since Red Bull is already involved in F1 just merge the Red Bull flugtag with F1 and push the years car off of a ramp into a lake at the end of the season.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

When I bought my X-Ice’s years ago the differentiating thing I heard from owners who had tried both is that Blizzaks wear really fast. I’m on season like six of my X-Ices and they’re great, though also I put very little mileage on my car in the winter since I live very close to essentials and don’t take any road trips.

im on season 3 blizzaks and i put maybe 7-8k a year in average below freezing temps so wish me luck

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Since Red Bull is already involved in F1 just merge the Red Bull flugtag with F1 and push the years car off of a ramp into a lake at the end of the season.

turning a car into an artificial reef would be the only eco-conscious thing F1 has ever done

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Knitting Beetles posted:

What do you think the difference between winter and all season tires and do you think the same properties also apply to racing tires 🤔

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

opposable thumbs.db posted:

The high temperature is only forecast to be 18C or 64F and the sun sets at 4:30p. LOL.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Furious George posted:

lol I like how his video says "I'm walking the F1 course in Las Vegas " but in actual fact he just drives to several places and at no point walks anywhere.

There’s a few of those videos with people actually walking the track but it takes a long time in reality so can’t blame him that much. Three or four miles on city streets with traffic.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mokotow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HemOxp3HTPg

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fuckers are gonna be sliding around for 40 laps

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ferraris into the wall 1st lap, p-p-p-passione :nattyburn:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's probably a good thing this isn't a shootout round given Vegas' past as well

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Diet Crack posted:

ferraris into the wall 1st lap

so you're saying they'll do better than last race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Diet Crack posted:

It's probably a good thing this isn't a shootout round given Vegas' past as well

it would be a similarly lopsided shootout though