Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Your upscaled ones look significantly better than the official kit. Might have to do the same thing with my old MkIII kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Using the previously described quick method I did a Perturbator!

Awesome!

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Hi, I loving love the look of Heresy era Dreadnoughts, is there a legion that can run a bunch of them well/fun?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fun for you, or fun for your opponent? All dreadnoughts are very powerful, and all legions can run an absolutely broken amount of them to the point where a lot of groups houserule a limit on them.
Blood Angels, Thousand Sons, and Word Bearers all have special variants.

Alpha Legion has an interesting strategy in large games where Alpharius can infiltrate, deep strike, or outflank with them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Agreed. I have upscaled old-MkIII as heavy support for my IW and I like the models a lot better that way. They didn't need this redesign, especially not one that removes options from the kit and fucks its compatibility with anything but MkVI parts.

It doesn't help that new MkIII looks like an off brand version trying to avoid copyrights or some poo poo.

terrible opinions

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Posting a small batrep of my and my opponents third game of Heresy, after doing two 500 pts games last time we played. We're both still trying to build our stuff when we get the chance, let alone paint the models and the board.
That said, the best way to learn is to play more games, so off we went, into the Zone Mortalis.

We played a game of 750 points Zone Mortalis, featuring my opponents loyalist Mechanicum against my traitor Sons of Horus.
Hell yeah. How'd you like Zone Mortalis? It's my favorite way to play and the Siege of Cthonia book shook things up. I'm really happy with it overall, but it's definitely a little more complicated than it used to be. I was skeptical about the jump to 1500 as I was used to 1000 back in 1.0, but it works out pretty well with RP acting as a limiting factor. The ZM reactions also work better for the smaller scale. The regular 30k reactions are really powerful in smaller games and the ZM ones help mitigate that while also being thematic.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Electric Hobo posted:

Fun for you, or fun for your opponent? All dreadnoughts are very powerful, and all legions can run an absolutely broken amount of them to the point where a lot of groups houserule a limit on them.
Blood Angels, Thousand Sons, and Word Bearers all have special variants.

Alpha Legion has an interesting strategy in large games where Alpharius can infiltrate, deep strike, or outflank with them.
Hopefully both? I gather that I can basically Pick whichever legion I prefer and will be able to run lets say 2-3 melee dreads and 2-3 shooty dreads?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Majkol posted:

Hopefully both? I gather that I can basically Pick whichever legion I prefer and will be able to run lets say 2-3 melee dreads and 2-3 shooty dreads?

This is basically true (but your opponent will hate it!)

If you've rather just stick to melee or shooty, certain legions are thematically more aligned with one or the other.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Majkol posted:

The general community rule of thumb is one dread per 1,000 points. If you've talked to your opponent and they're fine with it you can probably shove an extra dread in there at 3k and get two of each without much backlash. Three of each is definitely pushing it. Basically any legion will work for them, so yeah, go by preference (especially painting preference, since that makes or breaks a given legion for a lot of people).

ijyt posted:

terrible opinions

Thanks.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Oh ok, thanks. Someone told me that 30k was better balanced than regular 40k so I assumed things like that would not happen and that limiting army composition would not be needed. I will keep it in mind.

*I guess I thought "absolutely broken amount of them" would mean like 10+

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Majkol posted:

Oh ok, thanks. Someone told me that 30k was better balanced than regular 40k so I assumed things like that would not happen and that limiting army composition would not be needed. I will keep it in mind.

*I guess I thought "absolutely broken amount of them" would mean like 10+

Army composition was my favorite part about tournies in 3rd-5th.

50% + Troops
25% max all other categories
That got you full points. Sure you could run less or more but it helped tame HeroHammer at the time.

You simply can’t leave it up to chance that you won’t run against random dudes playing one Hero jacked to the tits and then something like two squads of 5 man scout units with no options.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The legion lists are overall pretty well balanced as everyone is pulling from the same pool of units and even the legion unique units are variations on existing statlines/wargear/whatever. Unfortunately, dreadnoughts are kind of the exception. Contemptors in particular are just a little too good. It's a combination of being tough, fast, and having access to a variety of great weapons. Just be aware of that going into things, but you should still feel comfortable taking them.

Don't feel bad about wanting to run dreadnoughts. Contemptors are kind of the problem children of the game right now, but leviathans, deredeos, and regular boxdreads are good alternatives. While they're still pretty powerful, they don't have the speed of the contemptor. Unless you're running Fury of the Ancients, a rite of war that gives you a contemptor warlord and up to six scoring contemptors among other things, don't feel bad about taking dreadnoughts. If it proves to be a problem, just pull your punches a little and tone things down. The 30k community is largely self-correcting and you'll get a feel for things as you get games in.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Safety Factor posted:

Hell yeah. How'd you like Zone Mortalis? It's my favorite way to play and the Siege of Cthonia book shook things up. I'm really happy with it overall, but it's definitely a little more complicated than it used to be. I was skeptical about the jump to 1500 as I was used to 1000 back in 1.0, but it works out pretty well with RP acting as a limiting factor. The ZM reactions also work better for the smaller scale. The regular 30k reactions are really powerful in smaller games and the ZM ones help mitigate that while also being thematic.

I'm really enjoying Zone Mortalis. The games feels small and lethal but still quite thematic. I'm a little worried about transitioning my force into Age of Darkness missions without having to build all new models. I think I'll combine the despoilers into a big blob with an apothecary and a chaplain and drive them around in a Spartan and get a Proteus to bus around the command squad. We'll see.

This was our first game using the Reinforcement rules, and at 750 we essential both dropped our troops on the board and moved elites and HQ on from the side when turn 2 rolled around.
That said, I think that being able to deploy my terminators from any board edge was much more useful than trying to footslog them towards a target. Also, I can really see the choices becoming much more impactful at higher points level.

ZM reactions feel like a mixed bag. Suppress was huge in our last game (though I am not sure we played it correctly, as it pinned a unit during its movement until the end of its next turn?), Displace was useful in our previous games and we have yet to see a clutch play with Brace. Though re-reading these rules, apparently we were allowed to use our advanced reactions, which I believed we weren't allowed to.

We're playing 1000pts ZM next month, and I'm hoping to have all my poo poo mostly built and to have enough of the new ZM tiles and walls ready so we can expand to atleast 3x4 instead of the 3x3 we were doing.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Only in Death does Mini-painting ends

Bonus secondary magnetized weapon option

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hell yeah

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
GodDAMN that helmet is dope
https://x.com/warhammer/status/1722600468998746460?s=20

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Model rocks. Good to see some love for WS.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ahhhh that loving rules

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The stormseer's great. I can't help but wonder if this means the other legion-specific consuls (DA paladin, EC phoenix warden, etc.) will get models. I'm pretty well covered on idiots with large swords, but I'll always take another.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Safety Factor posted:

The stormseer's great. I can't help but wonder if this means the other legion-specific consuls (DA paladin, EC phoenix warden, etc.) will get models. I'm pretty well covered on idiots with large swords, but I'll always take another.

I think that’s very likely, yes.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Spaceace discovers that the new Mark III heads look good on the old Mark III bodies, because they fit the stumpier proportions better.

Answer to a question nobody asked, that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

So you get a box of each and just swap their heads?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

So you get a box of each and just swap their heads?

Good luck getting a box of the old ones at a sane price.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, I imagine, lol.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Are they going for crazy prices? I literally have hundreds.

I mailed all my spare heads and shoulder pads to another poster already

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

i saw 50-60 squiddies for NIB 10-mans

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TTerrible posted:

Are they going for crazy prices? I literally have hundreds.

I mailed all my spare heads and shoulder pads to another poster already

"New condition" was going for close to double the previous MSRP last I checked secondhand sales, and there is very little that will get me to pay $150 for a squad of tactical marines. Especially not if I have to source more parts on top of that.

In more positive news, last parts for my Warsmith arrive tomorrow so I'll have a more interesting project than "endless tacticals and TSS painting" for a minute, at least.

E: checking out of curiosity and I'm seeing them universally at about $90 for 10 marines with shipping factored in, so far.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 15, 2023

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Apologies, this post was meant for the future inte the WH40k thread.

Decorus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 15, 2023

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
God damnit. I sold close to 100 Mk3s for about $20 a squad shortly before the Mk3 announcement. :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/18/world-championships-preview-mkvi-assault-marines-rocket-into-the-age-of-darkness/

The new assault marines look great with paint on them. The kit seems pretty solid too. Even comes with 10 combat shields.

The one thing I'm iffy on is that it seems like the kit won't come with regular power weapons. You'll have to source them from elsewhere for the unit. That will be less of an issue after we get that melee weapon sprue that's coming in spring 2024.

I get it though. They had to make space somewhere and the combat shields are really cool and don't exist outside of weird one-offs. You can get power weapons from anywhere.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Check it out, everything needed for plastic Breachers!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

I get it though. They had to make space somewhere and the combat shields are really cool and don't exist outside of weird one-offs. You can get power weapons from anywhere.

With a little elbow grease and some files (not :files:) it's easy enough to turn a chainsword into a power sword.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
List of Heresy armies or formations that use black armor:

Dark Angels
Iron Hands
Raven Guard
Imperial Fists (Templar formations)
Sons of Horus (Justaerin)
White Scars (Ebon Keshig)
Ultramarines (Destroyer formations)
Some of the Blackshields
Emperor's Children (after their purple pigment supply lines are disrupted mid-to-late Heresy)

Am I missing any?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Stephenls posted:

Dark Angels
Iron Hands
Raven Guard
Some of the Blackshields
Emperor's Children (after their purple pigment supply lines are disrupted mid-to-late Heresy)

Am I missing any?

I was gonna say chaplains but apparently chaplains having black armor or not in 30k is a big ol' question mark since a lot of fluff says they do but then official GW marketing materials will show them in their legion colors

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
My group of friends put together a truly massive 30k game. A massive 30k versus 30k game with everything from massive Titans to the humble Guard troopers seeing action. Please enjoy the pictures since this was an epic game and showcases some of my friends incredible work. Please ignore the background decor as our rental house was furnished by insane facebook posts we think.

So they approach...

I brought out my humble Guard army that I play in 40k since my own Dark Angels are far from painted. I used the The Imperialis Militia to translate my armored Cadian guard into an industrial stronghold, warrior elite milita army. A lot of this was trying to find uses for what I already had painted. I do enjoy that in a game involving Perturabo, Ka'Bandha, and Horus being on the table, my warlord is a mounted Merchant Princeling marching with his "lifeguard" squad.

I still had to cheat a bit as my Shadowsword, Basilisk, and Avenger Strike Fighter are only available to the Space Marine Legions. I guess those weapons had not made their way out to the local militia units yet. I took them anyway since it was an Apocalypse game and that was the spirit of the game. Still, it did not matter. My 4000 points were a tiny part of the massive battle that would take place. Just the scale of this was insane.

Horus charged headfirst into what would become known as "Spartan Alley".

Perturabo showed up with his custom Shadowsword but spent the game running around with his robot pals wrecking everything that he came into contact with.

Demons of the Ruinstorm burst through the gate and bullied pretty much everything all game. They are very fast on the table, and really put us back. Looked epic as hell though.

Warhammer 30k is nothing if not glorious piles of marines. Just mobs of power armor vibrating against each other for turns at at time.

It is worth to remembering how much of this is just a giant pile of tanks as well.

I remember looking up from my various tanks getting nuked by stray shots from the titans to see what could only be described as the "Madness Pile." This features Alpharius and friends meeting a pile of Custodes.

It was a great, if exhausting game. We set up the table and armies the day before, but it was still an all day affair. We joke that you play Apocalypse once a year to remind yourself why you only do this once a year. Enjoy a final shot of how a good riff on a Titan's owner resulted in a stray Doomday/Apocalypse cannon annihilating some Sentinels and a Russ.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Crazy Ferret posted:

My group of friends put together a truly massive 30k game. A massive 30k versus 30k game with everything from massive Titans to the humble Guard troopers seeing action. Please enjoy the pictures since this was an epic game and showcases some of my friends incredible work. Please ignore the background decor as our rental house was furnished by insane facebook posts we think.

So they approach...

I brought out my humble Guard army that I play in 40k since my own Dark Angels are far from painted. I used the The Imperialis Militia to translate my armored Cadian guard into an industrial stronghold, warrior elite milita army. A lot of this was trying to find uses for what I already had painted. I do enjoy that in a game involving Perturabo, Ka'Bandha, and Horus being on the table, my warlord is a mounted Merchant Princeling marching with his "lifeguard" squad.

I still had to cheat a bit as my Shadowsword, Basilisk, and Avenger Strike Fighter are only available to the Space Marine Legions. I guess those weapons had not made their way out to the local militia units yet. I took them anyway since it was an Apocalypse game and that was the spirit of the game. Still, it did not matter. My 4000 points were a tiny part of the massive battle that would take place. Just the scale of this was insane.

Horus charged headfirst into what would become known as "Spartan Alley".

Perturabo showed up with his custom Shadowsword but spent the game running around with his robot pals wrecking everything that he came into contact with.

Demons of the Ruinstorm burst through the gate and bullied pretty much everything all game. They are very fast on the table, and really put us back. Looked epic as hell though.

Warhammer 30k is nothing if not glorious piles of marines. Just mobs of power armor vibrating against each other for turns at at time.

It is worth to remembering how much of this is just a giant pile of tanks as well.

I remember looking up from my various tanks getting nuked by stray shots from the titans to see what could only be described as the "Madness Pile." This features Alpharius and friends meeting a pile of Custodes.

It was a great, if exhausting game. We set up the table and armies the day before, but it was still an all day affair. We joke that you play Apocalypse once a year to remind yourself why you only do this once a year. Enjoy a final shot of how a good riff on a Titan's owner resulted in a stray Doomday/Apocalypse cannon annihilating some Sentinels and a Russ.

This looks like it would have been rad as hell and is only helping to reinforce that I still really want to make that stupid custom Shadowsword for my Iron Warriors even though I don't need it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Stephenls posted:

Dark Angels
Iron Hands
Raven Guard
Some of the Blackshields

Am I missing any?

The Alpha Legion when they're feeling sassy

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

that armageddon game looks so sick, so much plastic and resin drat

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Stephenls posted:

Dark Angels
Iron Hands
Raven Guard
Some of the Blackshields

Am I missing any?

Destroyers in general, though it varies if it’s black paint or like radiation scouring or something.

There’s other Imperial Fists that wear at least some black. Same for Sons of Horus, incorporating a bit of black looks like shorthand for seniority.

Space Wolves cult of morkai troops.

Alpha Legion have been mentioned and I think there were some Night Lords that wore black too.

The Salamanders Adherent squads from the pdf releases were black and look badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Lol did this actually happen and get detailed in an HH BL or a FW black book that I totally missed?