Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Corgi socks is one of those things where I was really amused by them the first time I saw them and bought a pair, so now people keep buying them for me because they have decided I can't get enough corgi socks even though I don't own a corgi.

Anyway, post ur corgi socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://ceasefirenow.ca/

quote:

Join the actions on November 12th

After November 4th, all out on November 12th for a #CeasefireNOW!

An ad hoc coalition of humanitarian, civil society, faith, and labour organizations is calling on their members, and the wider public, to join a pan-Canadian day of action on November 12 demanding the Canadian government support a ceasefire.

We need actions in as many towns and cities across Canada and Quebec. Ceasefire now! End the siege of Gaza! Freedom for Palestine.

Join us.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

u got a corgi pet in game there, scion

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Remembrance Day is a day where we remember the glorious charge at Vimy, when we won our freedom, rather than a day where we remember that war is an unforgivable sin.

The ceasefire in Gaza movement could not be more timely but none of these flag huggers will call for peace when they have their chance.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah lol the first one I remember was kindergarten before 9/11 and it was some sad WW1 vet who'd been sent to the trenches and told us about the horror and all his friends dying and it was like, drat, we shouldn't do that anymore. Then come high school and it was some dude who did a tour in Afghanistan talking about how badass our snipers were. Okay, I don't give a poo poo about this day anymore lol. All the vets of the only war we fought that mattered will be dead soon anyway

Lmao that anyone would unironically use Armistice Day as a recruiting tool, but well here we are

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

corgiwizard posted:

The older I get, the more butter/margarine it takes to make Kraft Dinner palatable.

Acquire Club House roasted garlic and red pepper seasoning and chuck that poo poo in

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Maple Leafs foreeever. I couldn't find the more recent one where they drove some kind of LAV onto the ice, maybe the one we sell to the Saudis. Also:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Acquire Club House roasted garlic and red pepper seasoning and chuck that poo poo in

I live and die by these seasoning mixes. I like the La Grille smoked applewood or whatever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

The Maple Leafs foreeever. I couldn't find the more recent one where they drove some kind of LAV onto the ice, maybe the one we sell to the Saudis. Also:

ooh-rah boosterism rather than a sombre reflection on the horrors of war. i'm sure our troops appreciate the applause

the mounted gun facing off into the crowd is a nice touch

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it seriously looks like that one jeep on the right is about to start machine gunning the audience

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So, I was just in a meeting with VAC where they said GWOT veterans have totally tuned out. Aren't engaging with services, aren't going to the memorials, haven't joined the Legion. It's all top-down stuff from the government, a lot of what you saw was purely the Harper government.

Younger veterans also don't feel like they "earned" the poppy because it's no engrained in Canadian national consciousness, especially when we were kids in the 90's, so they've tried to develop a new symbol which they rolled out this year.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DaysBefore posted:

Lol they had to move the remembrance thing in Hali because the plaza outside City Hall is full of homeless people in tents. Cool how terrible everything is

Hey remember when Occupy Halifax agreed to move out of Grand Parade for Remembrance Day and while they were moving to Victoria Park in a driving rainstorm the police took the opportunity to simply arrest them instead?

It’s called personal growth.

Bilirubin posted:

I hate my garbage province

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm going to preempt CSPAM jumping all over the bootlicker thing to say that the symbol is absolutely incomprehensible to me and I am dying to figure out who the gently caress came up with this.

The war the produced record numbers of single and double amputees being represented by a boot is tone-deaf too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm going to preempt CSPAM jumping all over the bootlicker thing to say that the symbol is absolutely incomprehensible to me and I am dying to figure out who the gently caress came up with this.

The war the produced record numbers of single and double amputees being represented by a boot is tone-deaf too.

it's an unfortunate choice but i can't think of what else they would have gone with because the only loving symbol this country uses for anything is the same stupid leaf, so the design was inevitably going to be a leaf and some other object that evokes the idea of the military and i can't think of another one of those that wouldn't have been equally bad or worse

i guess they could have gone with a camo pattern leaf which would have worked with the notable issue of being hideously ugly

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Frosted Flake posted:

So, I was just in a meeting with VAC where they said GWOT veterans have totally tuned out. Aren't engaging with services, aren't going to the memorials, haven't joined the Legion. It's all top-down stuff from the government, a lot of what you saw was purely the Harper government.

Younger veterans also don't feel like they "earned" the poppy because it's no engrained in Canadian national consciousness, especially when we were kids in the 90's, so they've tried to develop a new symbol which they rolled out this year.

is this supposed to appeal to the veterans themselves or the public?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

a literal fuckin boot lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ben shapino posted:

no, but seriously...

Frosted Flake posted:

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Never Forget ™️ Don Cherry signing heavy artillery in Afghanistan

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

corgiwizard posted:

Never Forget ™️ Don Cherry signing heavy artillery in Afghanistan

boy he's got a real cannon of a shot there

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

a while back I participated in a research panel that was testing ads for injured veterans services and one of the spots opened with a guy lacing up a pair of boots, then cut to the same guy tying a pair of business shoes, I guess to show the transition from military to civilian life. almost everyone on the panel called that out lol

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Frosted Flake posted:

Black leather boot, silhouetted by oil fields burning in the background.

Unintentionally based

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Arivia posted:

boy he's got a real cannon of a shot there

good Canadian boy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
should've made a pin of a Sea King

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ElehemEare posted:

Hey remember when Occupy Halifax agreed to move out of Grand Parade for Remembrance Day and while they were moving to Victoria Park in a driving rainstorm the police took the opportunity to simply arrest them instead?

It’s called personal growth.

Two years ago the cops were violently clearing homeless encampments and now there are literally ten times as many homeless people and half the city parks have designated as tent sites while councillors bicker with the province over who gets to not build the most public housing. Truly we have made great steps forward

Frosted Flake posted:

Wait it's real???? I thought that was like a joke someone did up no loving way lmfao

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

infernal machines posted:

the mounted gun facing off into the crowd is a nice touch

it'd be sick if it was a t shirt cannon

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Oh man, war and the army rock so much. Wish we had way more of both! gently caress I love this country.

I hate this time of year so loving much. People give me poo poo for not wearing the poppy, then they give me poo poo if I explain I don't do public remembrance day poo poo because it is all a celebration of war and militarism. No one ever likes when I tell them "I loving served and you didn't, I get to do whatever the gently caress I want on the 11th."

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i just say its against my religion to wear stuff. People just back off after that

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

vyelkin posted:

it seriously looks like that one jeep on the right is about to start machine gunning the audience

I went to a mass shooting incident, and a hockey game broke out!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Hahahahahhahahshshs

Literally respect the boot

ben shapino posted:

I'm dying. I can't stop laughing.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Nov 11, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

what flavour gummy is this

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/Joe_Roberts01/status/1723014364305723766

Joe's at it again

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

what flavour gummy is this

Is this a lollipop?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dukemont posted:

is this supposed to appeal to the veterans themselves or the public?

I have no idea. Our generation being represented by a boot is really disappointing compared to the blue beret and poppy.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Frosted Flake posted:

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot pinning on Remembrance Day—forever"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
baba booey

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

they named a high school after Marc Garneau? what the gently caress for? he’s not even from Toronto!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zero knowledge posted:

they named a high school after Marc Garneau? what the gently caress for? he’s not even from Toronto!

astronaut

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Best colony let’s just admit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

corgiwizard posted:

Best colony let’s just admit it

no Australia sucks Canada no 1