Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

Who is that Raggedy Ann? They've show up a few times now and I have no idea which of the regular characters it's supposed to be

It's what's her name, the hippie roommate. Des?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Endless Mike posted:

It's what's her name, the hippie roommate. Des?

I was unsure of this at first but her crying about “badmouthing people you’ve never even met! The very thought!” clinched it for sure. It’s Des.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I can never tell who's being completely serious but there's a lot of very weird a man and a woman can't be seen together unless they're on a romantic date vibes in this thread right now

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

maybeadracula posted:

I can never tell who's being completely serious but there's a lot of very weird a man and a woman can't be seen together unless they're on a romantic date vibes in this thread right now

Evanses seem to think that’s the case. I think it’s really ludicrous that whatever reaction Bets ended up having is in response to the most bland cookie-cutter “we’re friends at a party, let’s have our picture taken!”

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1960)

Starting to suspect Val just really likes enslaving this guy and Val man whatever floats your boat but you should really be more honest with him about it. At least this time you're telling him the plan ahead of time?

Hippocrass posted:

Krazy Kat(May 5, 1918)

You're a good kat, Krazy.
It doesn't particularly come up in this strip, but one thing I really enjoy about Krazy Kat is that Ignatz fits the by-now overdone comic strip archetype of the physically small, obnoxious, selfish, loudmouth who dishes out physical and verbal abuse but is - unlike many of his modern counterparts - absolutely not even a little bit shielded from karma, konsequences, or cirkumstantial bad luck.

ellie the beep posted:

yesterdays strip had me going 'wait a minute, if barin escaped, that means ming could have too!' - i hadnt considered that she might have just been lying

i am a huge fan of this reboot, thanks for posting it!
Yeah, I'm biased (I read Lavender Jack and enjoyed it), but so far what we've got has me really interested: we joined the story just as the big dramatic would-be-a-movie plot has reached its climax, go through it at high speed but with enough dramatic emphasis to sell the stakes, and then just as the credits have rolled someone admits 'oh gently caress me we're in trouble' and now we're in excitingly uncharted waters. Like if A New Hope began with the (edited for clarity) last 20 minutes and after the medal ceremony Leia corners everyone and tells them the rebellion went bankrupt fending off the death star and they need to give back the medals so they can sell them for emergency cash

Powered Descent posted:

We've had a few creators turn up in the thread -- most gloriously, over a decade ago, Richard Thompson of Cul de Sac briefly appeared. It's plausible there are a few more of them lurking, maybe even undercover posting. After all, there aren't that many places on the Interwebs dedicated to this particular art form, so if they want to take the pulse of their readership, we're one of the few options.

So, to any creators who are reading this: Hi there! :wave: Even if we regularly savage your strip, I'm still glad you're making it. (Unless you're Brooke McEldowney.)
I'd add editorial cartoonist Steve Kelley to that spoilered list since he's an awful, hateful sack of garbage whose strip - which proudly oozes his beliefs and biases - only exists with any measure of success because he got Jeff Parker to draw it.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 10, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann
Dang, Gun, you go on one date with somebody not your girlfriend and everyone acts like you're cheating. So unfair.

I'll admit I don't follow this comic closely but right up until Bets was planning to surprise Gunther like this I didn't realize they hadn't actually broken up.

maybeadracula posted:

Them showing up holding hands like they did is kinda odd if they're not on a date, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

I mean the Moopsy accepts teeth as bones, so I trust its experience over yours, comic!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

We've had a few creators turn up in the thread -- most gloriously, over a decade ago, Richard Thompson of Cul de Sac briefly appeared. It's plausible there are a few more of them lurking, maybe even undercover posting. After all, there aren't that many places on the Interwebs dedicated to this particular art form, so if they want to take the pulse of their readership, we're one of the few options.

So, to any creators who are reading this: Hi there! :wave: Even if we regularly savage your strip, I'm still glad you're making it. (Unless you're Brooke McEldowney.)
Oh sure I’d buy almost any other comic strip writer or artist finding this thread and seeing what we’re saying on here. But not Greg or Karen Evans.

Edit: There are a few I would be surprised if they haven’t found their way to this thread. Again, though, not the Evans clan.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 10, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Murdstone posted:

Oh sure I’d buy almost any other comic strip writer or artist finding this thread and seeing what we’re saying on here. But not Greg or Karen Evans.
'Something Awful? That sounds awful!'

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Medenmath posted:

I like the whole setup a lot more when you put it that way, haha

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1960)

Foster's sketches appear to be based on a part of Cheddar Gorge that unfortunately shares a name with a more famous mountain in Hong Kong, making it hard for me to quickly google up any details.

Cheddar Lion Rock is marked out on Google Maps with a few decent photos. I like to look up locations mentioned in Prince Valiant from time to time.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
OK, this has now got me.

We Are Reproducing

There was a famous case of one of the big cola concerns, I forget whether it was Coke or Pepsi, trying to launch a what-was-typical-in-the-States-at-the-time ad campaign here in Japan that directly talked smack about the competition, and the backlash was such that it actually hurt their sales.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The panel with the baby comparison is so simple but so specific. Incredible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Nthing the love for Flash Gordon. Neat art style, well written, interesting twist on a classic.

Scary Go Round (February 13-17, 2004)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "374 - Jucika Wakes Him Up"

I love the high energy contained train wreck Jucika and Husband's relationship is. You get the feeling things get really high passion when they argue and then things get really high passion.

"375 - Jucika's Morning Rush"

The pacing and set up this strip does is downright heroic compared to the rest of the funny pages. Whenever I think of a scale of how you'd rate comics I put Foster's Prince Valiant at the top, where it'd be 6/5. Just not fair to compare anyone else to that but this Gordon is swinging in that weight class in many ways. It's a rare strip where I'm desperate to see each new day now.

Other strips... speaking of the other end of the scale I'm reminded reading Crankshaft that this old fart was supposed to be a speaks truth to power journalist who told Evil Corporation that the press can bring them to their knees. Anyway after he made an idiot of himself in that storyline here he is struggling to justify his existence to a bunch of bored people who don't care.

Enormous shouting gently caress YOU to Dustin today. Ah yes, a boomer telling me that young people in the middle of a depression would judge each other severely over still living with family.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

nu mary worth lost my trust with the storyline where wilbur lets his loved ones think he's dead while he's at a tropic resort and they just shrug and go "that's our wilbur" instead of throwing him into the nearest tar pit when the jig is up

It's actually a pretty similar ethical situation now that you mention it. Being really dismissive of a traumatic emotional event because all's well that ends well. We're already halfway there-

amigolupus posted:

It's the mother's right to decide whether she wants the father of the child to be part of her life or not. She mentioned breaking it off with Keith when she found out she's pregnant because she was afraid he'd use that as a pretext to pressure her into a wedding. Considering how obsessive Keith was acting on the drive back to his apartment, maybe she had a good reason to be worried. If she truly wanted to, she could have told Keith back then to have him give child support, but the fact she was fine raising the kid all on her own for two decades says a lot.

Kitty's actions have already been fundamentally excused by the fact that everything worked out fine as far as the childrearing went, even though nearly any real-life situation comparable to this one would almost certainly be tremendously more complex. The only conflict at this point is Keith's hurt feelings, which the Mary Worth writer seems to be gearing up to solve by having him man up and not be so whiny. The irony of this position is more interesting than anything that's actually going to happen in the comic itself since the most logical way to interpret Keith's character, as most posters ITT are doing, is as an avatar of evil patriarchy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

The pacing and set up this strip does is downright heroic compared to the rest of the funny pages. Whenever I think of a scale of how you'd rate comics I put Foster's Prince Valiant at the top, where it'd be 6/5. Just not fair to compare anyone else to that but this Gordon is swinging in that weight class in many ways. It's a rare strip where I'm desperate to see each new day now.
We might still be in the "stuff made to pitch it to the syndicates" phase like the first monthish of new Trail was. Remember how that had a sudden massive drop in art quality? It's still too early to say how it's going to shake out long term.

It is a very strong showing so far, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this picture is supposed to look salacious, yet it evokes the exact same energy as this one:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was going to go to this wild party without telling you. But now I have told you. So... be ready?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or alternatively, following my own teenage pattern: I was going to go to this wild party without telling you. Could you give me a lift to the supermarket? I need to buy beer.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Zereth posted:

We might still be in the "stuff made to pitch it to the syndicates" phase like the first monthish of new Trail was. Remember how that had a sudden massive drop in art quality? It's still too early to say how it's going to shake out long term.

It is a very strong showing so far, though.

So many of the IP baton passes are weak. I'd really like to see more than Heart of the City manage the epic heights of "average."

Speaking of: No Mark, you didn't make an educated guess! Rusty made a random guess and you followed him! Jules didn't even have the decency to toss on a tacky "Andy smells out the hiker because cartoon dogs are magic plot seeking missiles" justification! It just sucks, everything Mark does has nothing to do with any intentional actions, training or talents!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the new Phantom art kinda reminds me of the old Mark Trail art. but with more round shapes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Having trouble uploading Popcom today, it'll be delivered when possible.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/11-13/51

If these are references to real people, I'm mystified.

Archie 9/9-11/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 9/27-29/51

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Would the General Lee have had an in-cabin trunk release control? I was under the impression those didn't get widespread until sometime in the 80s.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sally, your mother doesn't want to be there. You don't want her there. You do not need to spend time with people who actively hate you.

maybeadracula posted:

You're not wrong but they literally showed up holding hands, and did not stop holding hands for like 4 or 5 straight strips, and have not left each others side for a single second the whole time they've been at the party, while loudly insisting to all and sundry "WE ARE NOT DATING'. They have no one but themselves to blame.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BigglesSWE posted:

Evanses seem to think that’s the case. I think it’s really ludicrous that whatever reaction Bets ended up having is in response to the most bland cookie-cutter “we’re friends at a party, let’s have our picture taken!”

Bets is the one who sent the "don't look at the internet" text instead of some sort of gotcha. Looks like she's on Gunth's side of this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zereth posted:

I'll admit I don't follow this comic closely but right up until Bets was planning to surprise Gunther like this I didn't realize they hadn't actually broken up.

Same. When Gunther ran out on Bets in the middle of their cross-country journey, it seemed pretty final to me.

I guess not???

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

OK, this has now got me.

We Are Reproducing
There was a famous case of one of the big cola concerns, I forget whether it was Coke or Pepsi, trying to launch a what-was-typical-in-the-States-at-the-time ad campaign here in Japan that directly talked smack about the competition, and the backlash was such that it actually hurt their sales.

I've heard about this sort of thing before; Sega's Japanese parent company initially didn't like the American branch's confrontational "Genesis does what Nintendon't" ad campaign. Yet I wasn't sure if that sort of thing was viewed in Japan as a bad business decision (since you're backhandedly giving your competitor free advertising) or as simply mean-spirited in the public eye.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're not wrong but they literally showed up holding hands, and did not stop holding hands for like 4 or 5 straight strips, and have not left each others side for a single second the whole time they've been at the party, while loudly insisting to all and sundry "WE ARE NOT DATING'. They have no one but themselves to blame.

This. Additionally they spent like a week before the party reminiscing about how cute they are together and how natural they are together and all the times they kissed and Gunther's enormous wormy dong. The Evanses laid it on so thick people were wondering if they were going to up and end the strip with an engagement or some poo poo.

Granted, the party-goers weren't privy to that conversation*, but it does set the tone going in for us, the readers, and gives an insight to where their minds were when they decided to go ahead with this date.

If they'd just gone to the party together without all the Fooby True Love nonsense ahead of time and without the hand holding I'd agree that it's nonsense to think that a straight man and woman can't just be friends or go to a party.

*Just Bernice, but she doesn't get invited to parties

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
This is where the full night delivery would go, except Little Lefty turned out to be a little bit more involved than usual. (June 2-3, 1939 (no 1st))

Lefty's Sketch Book posted:

* Anyone standing on 39th near 6th Ave. can turn either way and land in a * * * * show!

* In case you didn't know--Labor Stage used to be a coal yard--then it was a livery stable and then--

* --then it became the Princess Theatre and people like Marion Davies played there--and are some of the glamour girls of today! All union maids! (Ruth Elbaum (Local 22), Jean Nicita (L. 89), Ruth Rubenstein (L. 32) etc.)

* (A number of lyrics from the 1939 edition of "Pins and Needles") First & last impression--this show is simply terrific!

* To Messrs. Rome and Schrank--Please pin this on yourselves and the cast for the "Red Mikado" number!

* Across the way--Messrs. Siegal and Bruskin discuss another Lord High Executioner who on June 14...

* (Big arrow to cartoon of WPA Cuts)
So let's do something about it, fast!

For the Federal Theatre Project, the head-chopper was very much on his way (per wiki): "Although The Federal Theatre project consumed only 0.5% of the allocated budget from the WPA and was widely considered a commercial and critical success, the project became a source of heated political contention. Congress responded to the project's racial integration and accusations of Communist infiltration and cancelled its funding effective June 30, 1939."

Anyway, I owe you a batch of Out Our Way from this morning, so here it is. (April 12-14, 1943)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 11, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

"...You sold your dog for peanut brittle?"

Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Yeah, this kid is dead as hell.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Once again they inadvertently ruin their own joke.
If the capsule has a barbell on it, then it doesn't need to be a capsule. You would just use a barbell.
The strength training mum should just be curling the capsule itself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hippocrass posted:

$9 trillion in 1907 is $294,691,595,744.68 today

did you miss some zeroes or can I not count? is that only 294 billion, or am I hallucinating?

Doomykins posted:

I love the high energy contained train wreck Jucika and Husband's relationship is. You get the feeling things get really high passion when they argue and then things get really high passion.

jucika initially reminded me a lot of a midcentury french comic I found a collection of in my teenage years, clementine cherie. same broad category of comic, cute girl getting into mild misadventures, often partly dressed or not at all (because france), and I'm doubly reminded now: in the introduction to that print collection, it's mentioned that there was an outcry when clementine got married off partway into the comic's run - so I wonder what the readership's reaction was to jucika's wedding?

I've considered posting some CC comics (they're single-panel gags, either with the title character or the rest of her family, two extremely lockhorns-esque parents and a younger brother) but like 90% of them would have to get spoilered or hotlinked or whatever for nudity.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hexwren posted:

did you miss some zeroes or can I not count? is that only 294 billion, or am I hallucinating?

jucika initially reminded me a lot of a midcentury french comic I found a collection of in my teenage years, clementine cherie. same broad category of comic, cute girl getting into mild misadventures, often partly dressed or not at all (because france), and I'm doubly reminded now: in the introduction to that print collection, it's mentioned that there was an outcry when clementine got married off partway into the comic's run - so I wonder what the readership's reaction was to jucika's wedding?

I've considered posting some CC comics (they're single-panel gags, either with the title character or the rest of her family, two extremely lockhorns-esque parents and a younger brother) but like 90% of them would have to get spoilered or hotlinked or whatever for nudity.

I say :justpost: and keep the images behind links whenever you feel it's necessary; that sounds hilarious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

hexwren posted:

Billion has two meanings.

Shortform, used in US and some other areas (UK officially switched a few years before I was born for example): 10^9, 1,000,000,000. The triplet after Million.
Longform, used in most of Europe (at least officially, no clue for common usage): 10^12, 1,000,000,000,000, a Bi-Million.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd have to scan the book, there doesn't seem to be a great source online, however, I am seeing a few original panels on a google image search, I'll have to crossreference them against the captions in the book, that might do for a taster. Let me go see where I even left the book, too many bookshelves in this place

Bruceski posted:

Billion has two meanings.

Shortform, used in US and some other areas (UK officially switched a few years before I was born for example): 10^9, 1,000,000,000. The triplet after Million.
Longform, used in most of Europe (at least officially, no clue for common usage): 10^12, 1,000,000,000,000, a Bi-Million.

that's...not the point I'm making - the number posted there is 294 billion (US), which is less than 9 trillion by a long shot, and the dollar definitely didn't go the other direction since then

my wife tells me I may have mistaken a joke amount of math for a real amount of math

hexwren fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

hexwren posted:

that's...not the point I'm making - the number posted there is 294 billion (US), which is less than 9 trillion by a long shot, and the dollar definitely didn't go the other direction since then

my wife tells me I may have mistaken a joke amount of math for a real amount of math

Oh you're right, I misread trillion.