Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bojo is a known denier. he caught it in the very first wave from shaking hands in hospitals unmasked and was in the icu for a week in which the uk did not have a head of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pingui posted:

WHO also recommends against use of a new antiviral (VV116) for patients, except in clinical trials.

It looks like this is a pill form of remdesivir (which is IV). That could be interesting for higher-risk people. Looks like only being pursued in China though.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Baddog posted:

Thoughts on this study? Looks valid to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10582888/

"Our findings suggest that COVID-19 contributed to the 2022 surge of RSV cases in young children through the large buildup of COVID-19-infected children and the potential long-term adverse effects of COVID-19 on the immune and respiratory system."

That it was always completely idiotic to assume otherwise, just from looking at the raw data here in :denmark: Here I have indexed them to the 2018-2019 season (the 5-fold increase in deaths are not a mistake...):

Source (official dashboard):
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/220fef27d07d438889d651cc2e00076c/page/RS-virus/

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Nov 10, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Baddog posted:

Thoughts on this study? Looks valid to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10582888/

"Our findings suggest that COVID-19 contributed to the 2022 surge of RSV cases in young children through the large buildup of COVID-19-infected children and the potential long-term adverse effects of COVID-19 on the immune and respiratory system."

A smooth transition from “that’s not possible, shut up doomer” to “everyone knows that’s happening and there was never anything to be done about it”

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Pingui posted:

Good news! WHO recommends pill for people in the low low - mere 1 in 200 hospitalization - risk category.

quote:

High: People who are immunosuppressed remain at higher risk if they contract COVID-19, with an estimated hospitalization rate of 6%.
Moderate: People over 65 years old, those with conditions like obesity, diabetes and/or chronic conditions including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, kidney or liver disease, cancer, people with disabilities and those with comorbidities of chronic disease are at moderate risk, with an estimated hospitalization rate of 3%.
Low: Those who are not in the high or moderate risk categories are at low risk of hospitalization (0.5%). Most people are low risk.

High risk: Immunosupressed
Moderate Risk: Cancer

lol? lmao? :dafuq:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pingui posted:

Boris Johnson wanted to be injected with Covid live on TV, inquiry told

I didn't know I had anything in common with Boris Johnson

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Indoor Dying posted:

High risk: Immunosupressed
Moderate Risk: Cancer

lol? lmao? :dafuq:

My Oncologist's office here just prescribes you Applebees along with your chemo, as a treat.

I'll never forget going to the infusion center at the height of the first omicron wave to get evusheld and wearing my full face, and the nurse was really surprised. I'm like, you see chemo patients all day and everybody here is dick nosing a surgical...

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

That it was always completely idiotic to assume otherwise...

Hmm I guess one gotcha before I try sharing it out to all my 'lockdowns are bad because it caused immunity debt" friends is that the primary author is a high school kid who David Berger is mentoring.

Not that the analysis seems bad, just wish it had a little more experience behind it. Of course, we're swamped in a sea of paper-mill'ed bullshit from libertarian think tanks, so I dunno why I'm concerned about pushing a smart high school kid's paper.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Baddog posted:

Hmm I guess one gotcha before I try sharing it out to all my 'lockdowns are bad because it caused immunity debt" friends is that the primary author is a high school kid who David Berger is mentoring.

Not that the analysis seems bad, just wish it had a little more experience behind it. Of course, we're swamped in a sea of paper-mill'ed bullshit from libertarian think tanks, so I dunno why I'm concerned about pushing a smart high school kid's paper.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you wanted feedback on the article and not the conclusion. I didn't read the article.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wastewater data in Finland. No vaccines for under 65yo. Haven’t seen a single mask in quite a while.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Nov 10, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ihmemies posted:

Wastewater data in Finland. No vaccines for under 65yo. Haven’t seen a single mask in quite a while.
(..)

As a number going up aficionado those are some very nice graphs. It's a graph, it's supposed to be vertical!

Swedish numbers also looking good:

Source: https://pathogens.se/dashboards/wastewater/covid_quantification/covid_quant_slu/

Danish numbers are very low energy comparatively:

Source: https://www.ssi.dk/sygdomme-beredskab-og-forskning/sygdomsovervaagning/c/covid19-overvaagning

Pingui has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Nov 10, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

that's because danes don't poop, you're only seeing wastewater numbers from tourists

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
you all didn’t tell me the moth juice burned

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Buffer posted:

you all didn’t tell me the moth juice burned
That's how you know it's working

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Georgia has REALLY declared covid to be over

Augusta unveils COVID-19 Memorial for lives lost
https://www.wjbf.com/news/augusta-unveils-covid-19-memorial-for-lives-lost/amp/

quote:

A reminder of the devastating effect that COVID had on our community, the state of Georgia, and the whole country, the whole world. And that tragedies like this will never happen again. That we’ll be able to take preventative measures that we’ll be able to assure that it never happens again.

No one will ever get/die from covid ever again! :staredog:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Climate change was devastating, and it will never happen again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol that I got probed for wishing that I could celebrate that man’s death when he himself had a death wish

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Indoor Dying posted:

That we’ll be able to take preventative measures that we’ll be able to assure that it never happens again.

lmfao

They've screamed to high heaven that they will NOT ever take preventative measures ever again.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Climate change was devastating, and it will never happen again.

We've convicted Derek Chauvin. Racist police brutality will never happen again.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Indoor Dying posted:

quote:
A reminder of the devastating effect that COVID had on our community, the state of Georgia, and the whole country, the whole world. And that tragedies like this will never happen again. That we’ll be able to take preventative measures that we’ll be able to assure that it never happens again.

lmaoooo

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Animal-Mother posted:

lmfao

They've screamed to high heaven that they will NOT ever take preventative measures ever again.

Measures will be taken to prevent preventative measures

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Indoor Dying posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfrJzdx7DA

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

thread title accurate

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

got bit by a tick today v glad to be building my lyme immunity

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

We have the tools.

The tools are prophylactic antibiotics.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

RealityWarCriminal posted:

vaccine manufacturers: we filled each vial with 6 doses instead of 5. pay us

lol I forgot about this

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm dog-sitting. Pray I don't catch Covid from this animal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

yeah that very normal and unconcerning November tick bite. my grandfather told me about his grandfather’s efforts to control the winter tick.

tuyop has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Nov 11, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

got my kids vaxxed up with moderna today. with the updated juice, how have kids reactions been? they've been normal now but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

me/misses getting moth'ed next week :getin:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

call_of_qthulhu posted:

period flu is a thing, fwiw. it's not contagious and it sucks

i don't know how related it is to actual period flu, but since i've been on estradiol patches i get something every few weeks where i poo poo little rabbit poops all day long, my body hurts, and i hate every single atom in the known universe. i tested with RATs the first few times it happened but it's always negative and it goes away pretty quickly so :shrug:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tzen posted:

got my kids vaxxed up with moderna today. with the updated juice, how have kids reactions been? they've been normal now but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

me/misses getting moth'ed next week :getin:

knocked my 15 year old on his rear end for a day. Really tired, fever. fine the day after that. far as we know he’s never had Covid.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

NYC wastewater data updated today and fortunately it appears community spread is trending down after a relatively small Aug-Sept wave:

The NYC variant breakdown suggests the recent wave was driven by some combo of EG.5, FL.1 and HV.1 (don't take this variant contribution plot too seriously):

Can't really compare absolute concentrations over widely-separated time periods but it does suggest the current situation is better than last fall.

Less happy despite COVID cases and mortality being down it is still much more lethal than the flu this season:

Tzen posted:

My kids got the updated Moderna and flu shots at the same time recently and they had no reactions beyond a slightly sore arm. Not even a day of relative quiet or lower energy.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Nov 11, 2023

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Moth juice trip report: dry and tired day of and day after, just dry the next day, back to normal the next morning.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

mdemone posted:

Ya hear that, cancer, Mr. Emperor of All Maladies? Hear those footsteps?

Oh lawd he comin'

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Nocturtle posted:

relative quiet

this almost sounds rueful when you phrase it this way lol

Glad to hear it went well though!

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

shazbot posted:

a friend died yesterday. her husband said she “just got sick and died”

I don’t care if it’s Covid, flu, rsv, whatever, just general pestilence, but I do care that when you get sick you can’t just go get a test that tells you what have and get some sort of treatment where you don’t just die in your sleep to some completely preventable bullshit.

very sorry for your loss and the questions you're left with.

its loving awful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why has everybody at my work had brain frog the past month? (self.answers)

quote:

So everybody in my work place including myself has been experiencing pretty bad brain fog for the past month or so and we don't know why. We all started experiencing it around the same time, and it usually only happens at work. One of us will go to go something we've done a million times and all the sudden there's a mental block and it's like "what am I doing right now? How do I do this?" I would blame some kind of condition, covid, lack of sleep, etc. But the fact that it has been happening to all of us and that it started around the same time for all of us is suspicious. Could there be a gas leak of some sort that's causing this? Does anybody have any ideas?

Suggestions, in order of vote score:

quote:

Get the place checked for carbon monoxide leak.

quote:

Maybe a Black Mold problem in the building?

quote:

What about infrasound? "Sound at frequencies lower than the low frequency end of human hearing threshold at 20 Hz." Sometimes hvac ductwork, fans or office equipment can make noise that becomes a problem. Repetitive sounds can kinda hypnotize folk too.

quote:

https://www.who.int/podcasts/episode/science-in-5/episode--47---post-covid-19-condition
Its almost like a new disease has come into being in the last few years that causes this.

quote:

covid 100%

quote:

Yeah, was going to say. I have colleagues whose brains must be swiss cheese by now, after constant reinfections and subsequent sickness, and they never stay home. It wouldn't surprise me that some places experience a kind of tipping point where a load of people win the long COVID lottery around the same time :(

quote:

60% of cases are initially asymptomatic.

So without masking, air filtration, social distancing, plastic barriers, proper airflow, and testing it just spreads like wildfire cause people dont know they have it.

Hopefully his office has at least some of these precautions

Brain fog is one of the most common symptoms of long covid. And the more times you get covid the more likely you are to get long covid.

I think the long covid rate is 10% of all infections right now.

It's a recipe for some very foggy people.

quote:

Covid actually infected us all and everyone has got dumbed down.

quote:

Vaccinations are taking its toll

quote:

Airborne pathogens can be really scary. Your company should get someone to check air quality and clean the central air ducts.

It could also just be lovely air flow reducing available oxygen by allowing ozone to build up .

quote:

Is it a trauma response to Israel/Palestine?

Maybe everyone is following the news but not talking about it at work (to be polite), but day-to-day life feels a bit surreal when thousands of children are being bombed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My Australian covid data guy on Twitter is still trying to come to terms with the new reporting regimes. We have the tools! We will allow you to take brief glimpses at the tools, no more!

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1723168835958894916#m

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1723160872590401932#m

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
As opposed to EUA, which is what everything has been authorized under so far.

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/fda-clears-way-for-marketing-first-otc-covid-19-antigen-test posted:

FDA Clears Way for Marketing First OTC COVID-19 Antigen Test
ACON Laboratories’ Flowflex COVID-19 Antigen Home Test completed the premarket review pathway and is the first test indicated for use in children under 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Platystemon posted:

Vaccinations are taking its toll

lmao