Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

See, that poo poo is why I think the Droplet would wipe the fuckin floor with them, at least until Geordi or Seven of Nine or Rom thinks of a magical solution.

I've never read the books, but if the droplets don't have shields then basically any TNG era ship or later can just beam it's engine out into space.

NX-01 would probably be sent to go destroy the droplet's home planet after it destroyed starfleet.

Alternatively: Tractor beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

moosecow333 posted:

I also feel like Star Trek swings from ‘Armor plating can absorb some fire’ to ‘the shields are the only thing stopping us from an immediate explosive death’

realistically It does make sense the amour not doing much, with the absurd amount of fire power the writers have said the ships have. Ablative of not, if the equivalent of great than a nuke goes off on the hull of a fundamentally metal, less then a kilometer long ship, there shouldn't be much, if any of the ship left.

Photon torpedoes are basically just anti matter bombs. Like that's gonna be vaporizing everything for square k's.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Who would win?
Some futuristic metal?
Or one unidentified gooey boy on the hull?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What's the story wrt Avery brooks? i gather there's some Stuff there maybe?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grey Cat posted:

Who would win?
Some futuristic metal?
Or one unidentified gooey boy on the hull?

lol that unidentified gooey boy would chew/melt/burn through that hull in a second.

Never trust a space unidentified gooey boy.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

Okay, time for some technical manual excerpts.

Here's the power cell size and energy capacity for the type 1 and type 2 phasers.

This says the phaser rifle has 50% additional power reserves than the type 2.

Also apparently there's a minimum safety distance where it's less than lethal so all those times someone was holding a phaser to the head of someone else and threatened to kill them was less than threatening.

Also for a bit of an explanation of the power levels, here you go.

Edit: for a sense of scale, the type 1 phaser's energy capacity is 7,200,000 megajoules. Which is the same as 2,000 megawatts being supplied for 1 hour.

The RBMK reactors at Chernobyl could generate about 1,000MW at a time, and Chernobyl had 4 of them. So two of those keyfob phasers could produce the same amount of power as the entire Chernobyl plant for 1 hour.

I just wish that one day they'd use the "hand phaser can explosively vapourise 680m³ of solid rock" for a good gag. Lower Decks could have a bit where they're in a phaser firefight on a gangster planet and then one of them is like yknow what gently caress this and just phasers a (decomissioned or something idk) building into dust or something.

Like COME ONnnnnn

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

DrSunshine posted:

See, that poo poo is why I think the Droplet would wipe the fuckin floor with them, at least until Geordi or Seven of Nine or Rom thinks of a magical solution.

It'd get a few Cerritos class ships until $engineer realises they can use subspace waves to track the ships and detect their movement. I don't think the trisolarians had protection against phaser fire or blaster fire so the problem would be a targeting solution mainly

e: Of course the REAL question is how the trisolarian droplet reacts with Energy Shields.

Because the Trisolarian Droplet is designed against earth vessels that have only plating, so it's enough to be able to be too small to see, too small to target, fast so you can dodge bullets, and go VERY fast into ships and poke holes in their reactors.

Now either the enterprise hull or it's shields secure against micrometeorites at FTL speeds (im 99% sure the warp bubble doesn't actually protect against that), so logically by the same measure you'd expect it to be safe against the droplet. However micrometeorites are very weakly put together in their composition, so the shielding might not be designed against something so dense.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 11, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

redshirt posted:

How are things exploding and sparking and rocks coming out of the consoles if the shields are still up?

Jesus, the rocks thing is such lazy snark. It happens in precisely one episode, Yesterday's Enterprise.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Timby posted:

Jesus, the rocks thing is such lazy snark. It happens in precisely one episode, Yesterday's Enterprise.

Nah it's in Voyager too

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the rocks in voyager are for the lizards

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Non Compos Mentis posted:

the rocks in voyager are for the lizards

Oh so that's where the salamanders being humanities future comes in, I see how it all connects up know!

Man voyager writers really did like putting layers upon layers in that show.

Also lizards do love hot rocks. Adorable bastards.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Now either the enterprise hull or it's shields secure against micrometeorites at FTL speeds (im 99% sure the warp bubble doesn't actually protect against that), so logically by the same measure you'd expect it to be safe against the droplet. However micrometeorites are very weakly put together in their composition, so the shielding might not be designed against something so dense.

The NX-01 didn't even really have shields. They had a navigation shield that handled moving particles and tiny dust out of the way while at warp, but for tactical defenses they had hull plating that they could polarize to reduce the effects of charged particle weapons.

I don't know the mass of the droplet ships, but if they're small then the 1701-D could probably handle a direct ram attack with a bit of a shimy for the crew.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Filling the bucket with oatmeal

Makes a great shot glass.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

alexandriao posted:

It'd get a few Cerritos class ships until $engineer realises they can use subspace waves to track the ships and detect their movement. I don't think the trisolarians had protection against phaser fire or blaster fire so the problem would be a targeting solution mainly

e: Of course the REAL question is how the trisolarian droplet reacts with Energy Shields.

Because the Trisolarian Droplet is designed against earth vessels that have only plating, so it's enough to be able to be too small to see, too small to target, fast so you can dodge bullets, and go VERY fast into ships and poke holes in their reactors.

It's the deflector that protects against micrometeorites. That's its normal job when it's not being used as the catch all Science Beam Projector

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Droplets are extremely devastating in a world that otherwise obeys the laws of physics as we currently understand them. Star Trek eats physics and shits technobabble.

alexandriao posted:

I just wish that one day they'd use the "hand phaser can explosively vapourise 680m³ of solid rock" for a good gag. Lower Decks could have a bit where they're in a phaser firefight on a gangster planet and then one of them is like yknow what gently caress this and just phasers a (decomissioned or something idk) building into dust or something.

Like COME ONnnnnn

I've been saying this ever since Riker said the phaser at full power and wide beam should vaporize the entire building in one shot in "Frame of Mind".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Phasers have that much power in case they need it, but our protagonists are fundamentally good people and would never countenance using it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

alexandriao posted:

Like COME ONnnnnn

Data blew up that entire irrigation system in "The Ensigns of Command." One shot and the whole thing vaporized.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

alexandriao posted:

What's the story wrt Avery brooks? i gather there's some Stuff there maybe?

Hang on lemme go ask my mom

(she was in a play with him in college)

I’ll get back to you asap

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McSpanky posted:

I would tend to believe they could, they can be attuned to some pretty specific effects. A phaser can uniformly heat a rock, break up rock like a power tool or fully disintegrate large volumes of rock; it can lightly stun a person, knock a person unconscious, burn them with thermal energy, cause narrow projectile-like penetrating damage or outright vaporize them. They're pretty drat versatile.

It is so when the battery runs dry you can still use the stock for bonking. Who has time to carry a phaser and a big stick?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is so when the battery runs dry you can still use the stock for bonking. Who has time to carry a phaser and a big stick?

Who needs a stock for bonking when you can use the patented Federation double overhand body punch?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lower Decks emphasises that their hand phasers are designed to be used as tools pretty routinely, even on board starships. They get used to weld, to cut, to loosen, to clean layers of grime, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 11, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Last night we watched Voyager Investigations, S2 E20. It's a Neelix episode and surprisingly solid. His annoying persona works really well as he plays the role of an investigative journalist. And the little gag of him blowing off the doctor's segments was good. Overall, not only a Neelix ep but a good Voyager ep.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

McSpanky posted:

Droplets are extremely devastating in a world that otherwise obeys the laws of physics as we currently understand them. Star Trek eats physics and shits technobabble.

I mean, yes, but that's not to say that Trisolaran droplets aren't also physics breaking technobabble nonsense. They're made of exotic matter that's held together by quark-gluon forces - essentially a giant neutron. They're perfectly shiny down to the atomic level. Trisolarans can "unfold" protons into planet-sized 2d sheets in order to write AI circuits onto them. That's arguably almost as magical.

Also haven't we seen an example where a sufficiently big mass crashing into a shielded ship caused the shields to collapse? I feel like there might've been one in TNG or something, though I might be misremembering.

Actually thinking about how it happens in The Three Body Problem, the way the droplet would get into the shields is just by social engineering hacking the innate curiosity of the Federation. Once the Enterprise takes in the harmless looking droplet into their cargo bay, it could wreak havoc!

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Who needs a stock for bonking when you can use the patented Federation double overhand body punch?

don’t forget the patented cap’n Kirk butt-slam

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

naem posted:

Kirk assblasts local convention cosplayer.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CainFortea posted:

Also apparently there's a minimum safety distance where it's less than lethal so all those times someone was holding a phaser to the head of someone else and threatened to kill them was less than threatening.
This must be a later (I.e., TNG) development, because Spock is put in mortal danger by the nimbus of a close-range stun setting phaser in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" Also, the mole in one of the TOS movies (no spoilers!) onboard the Enterprise takes out two co-conspirators with close-range stun blasts, which fail to sound alarms and are lethal (though we might imagine not as lethal as the higher settings; they might merely stop brain activity or the like and could conceivably be treated).

Plus we see Scotty cutting through a bulkhead to Engineering with a phaser-2 at a couple of inches' distance in ?Space Seed?.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

lol amazing. Is that Shatner actually doing that stunt?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

This must be a later (I.e., TNG) development, because Spock is put in mortal danger by the nimbus of a close-range stun setting phaser in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" Also, the mole in one of the TOS movies (no spoilers!) onboard the Enterprise takes out two co-conspirators with close-range stun blasts, which fail to sound alarms and are lethal (though we might imagine not as lethal as the higher settings; they might merely stop brain activity or the like and could conceivably be treated).

Plus we see Scotty cutting through a bulkhead to Engineering with a phaser-2 at a couple of inches' distance in ?Space Seed?.

It's in the TNG technical manual.

Also I think everyone ignores it.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
So that episode of DS9 where the ever-downtrodden, just-released-from-a-lifetime-sentence-in-mind-prison O'Brien is about to kill himself with the phaser under his chin, he was really just going to give himself a mild headache at worst?

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 11, 2023

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Depending on the settings anything from trying to vaporize himself to possibly just shaving.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lighting a space ciggie with a phaser would be so cool.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I assume you can modify a phaser with a bit of technical know how to do anything like numb dental pain, be a laser pointer, or weld transparent aluminum.

Relevant: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fbOC0uoKYtU?t=6m38s

Edit: I'm too dumb to figure out YouTube Timestamps anymore skip to 6:38 for the phaser bit.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 11, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChairmanMauzer posted:

So that episode of DS9 where the ever-downtrodden, just-released-from-a-lifetime-sentence-in-mind-prison O'Brien is about to kill himself with the phaser under his chin, he was really just going to give himself a mild headache at worst?

According to the tech manual, yes. I don't think this has ever actually come up as a thing on screen however.

Just like how the captain's yacht never showed up until LD.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

According to the tech manual, yes. I don't think this has ever actually come up as a thing on screen however.

Are you referring to the Trek tech manual printed in 91?

Also, do you have the Trek Encyclopedia? One of my favorite fictional reference books.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

CainFortea posted:

They do use the Enterprise-E's captain's yacht in Insurrection, but I'm not going to fault anyone for memory hole-ing that movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that when they are singing that their fist be ever ready for a knock down blow?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the stats for phasers in various tech manuals are ridiculously exaggerated. in practice, phasers are extremely modest beam guns due to the limits of sfx budgets.

Didn't they set a hand phaser to "wide beam" and take out like a whole group of aliens at some point in TOS? Maybe it was "Arena".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Are you referring to the Trek tech manual printed in 91?

Also, do you have the Trek Encyclopedia? One of my favorite fictional reference books.

I have the tng tech manual, no encyclopedia though it's on my list.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Didn't they set a hand phaser to "wide beam" and take out like a whole group of aliens at some point in TOS? Maybe it was "Arena".

Tuvok also mass stuns the bridge with ir

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtube.com/shorts/MBm2jfkukms?si=0V9mYUiKb42tWWtF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is that when they are singing that their fist be ever ready for a knock down blow?

No it’s right when Data says “saddle up, lock and load”