Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MacheteZombie posted:

Riki oh loving owns

We really need more horror movies where the protagonist is just as much a monster(in terms of power not morality) as the villains

Zwabu posted:

Not really horror, but are there any computer games that are good adventure games anymore?

I realize that games that are primarily story and adventure went away because those elements get folded into FPS games these days. But I miss just working through an adventure and revealing an interesting story without having to shoot or fight.

Certain movies make me realize how much I miss pure adventure games. For example, The Silence of the Lambs. It would be a perfect adventure to play through as Clarice. There is an involved story with different layers. There are different questgivers including Crawford and Lecter.

There are critical quest items like the head in the jar, the cocoon or the case file, that either reveal further clues or open different parts of the story as the story progresses, or get transformed in critical ways like the case file with Lecter's notes.

Are there any games like this anymore that are all story and don't really require action and shooting? Especially if they are spooky or horror oriented?

My nominations would be What Remains of Edith Finch and Superliminal, also while it does involve shooting I'd definitely recommend SUPERHOT and its sequel MIND CONTROL DELETE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Superhot is such a bizarre answer to that post.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
It's more on the puzzle side of things but Return of the Obra Dinn is a must play, and has some spooky elements.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Superhot is such a bizarre answer to that post.

I did specifically mention it had shooting just that he might find it interesting anyways since it plays vastly different than the typical FPS

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Weird Sandwich posted:

It's more on the puzzle side of things but Return of the Obra Dinn is a must play, and has some spooky elements.

Oh yeah hard recommend

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nobody is going to recommend World of Horror? Thats like tailor made for horror adventure games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Nobody is going to recommend World of Horror? Thats like tailor made for horror adventure games.
World of Horror is so obtuse and in love with its "adventure game logic" bullshit affectations that I'm pretty sure it's actually just a parody of Tim Schaefer's oeuvre more than a game in its own right.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
World of Horror rules but it does have a decent amount of combat so it felt like the wrong rec here.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Zwabu posted:

Not really horror, but are there any computer games that are good adventure games anymore?

I realize that games that are primarily story and adventure went away because those elements get folded into FPS games these days. But I miss just working through an adventure and revealing an interesting story without having to shoot or fight.

Certain movies make me realize how much I miss pure adventure games. For example, The Silence of the Lambs. It would be a perfect adventure to play through as Clarice. There is an involved story with different layers. There are different questgivers including Crawford and Lecter.

There are critical quest items like the head in the jar, the cocoon or the case file, that either reveal further clues or open different parts of the story as the story progresses, or get transformed in critical ways like the case file with Lecter's notes.

Are there any games like this anymore that are all story and don't really require action and shooting? Especially if they are spooky or horror oriented?
Play The Cat Lady.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who's Lila? is pretty decent

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Horror Thread in Games can give you all the recommendations you need, because your line for "action" may vary. That said, if you want investigative horror I would recommend The Painscreek Killings.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations, this gives me a lot to check out and try.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also on the horror games tangent went and saw Five Nights At Freddy's yesterday, was pretty good overall even if it felt a little like the film couldn't make up its mind on the age group it was aiming for as a horror movie, especially regarding the way they handled the violence and kills in it

Did find it interesting that a sizable chunk of dialogue in the film was basically it commenting on fandom theories in a way that's obvious to anyone familiar with that sort of thing while still feeling like natural dialogue

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Weird Sandwich posted:

I'd second Obra Dinn. Lot of horror in that, actually. It really goes places and it has real detective work in it. I"ve also heard good things about No One Lives Under the Lighthouse as far as being a good horror mystery.

Also, on walnut cake at parties, last bachelor party I was at many people brought drinks and one person brought a breakfast casserole and no one had a meltdown about that and it was appreciated. It was great hangover food the next morning but some fool had it the night before and vomited eggy bits by the pool.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Huh I'm watching Ravenous for the first time and I had thought it was a horror movie, not a comedy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Medullah posted:

Huh I'm watching Ravenous for the first time and I had thought it was a horror movie, not a comedy

It's both! :eng101:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's a romance!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Medullah posted:

Horror and comedy are fraternal genre twins in a lot of ways. They’re both reliant on tone and timing, even though they often are doing different things.

Ravenous loving rules.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Medullah posted:

So fuckin jealous

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What's some solid horror comedies?

Evil Dead series, Final Girls, Cabin in the Woods, Drag Me To Hell I guess, Psycho Goreman, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Happy Death Day I and II, Slither, Vicious Fun, Edgar Wright's trilogy, Get Out, Frankenhooker, From Beyond, Renfield, The Voices, Bubba Ho-Tep, Tremors, Gremlins, Critters, Behind the Mask, One Cut of the Dead, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, American Werewolf in London, What We Do In The Shadows.

What are some that I missed?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ive been meaning to watch Idle Hands again lately, I believe that is a horror comedy

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Doltos posted:

Child's Play, especially the later ones but the originals are still very funny

Serial Mom is one of my favorites. Lair of the White Worm is definitely a comedy even if I've seen people disagree on that one.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 11, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doltos posted:

Evil Dead series, Final Girls, Cabin in the Woods, Drag Me To Hell I guess, Psycho Goreman, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Happy Death Day I and II, Slither, Vicious Fun, Edgar Wright's trilogy, Get Out, Frankenhooker, From Beyond, Renfield, The Voices, Bubba Ho-Tep, Tremors, Gremlins, Critters, Behind the Mask, One Cut of the Dead, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, American Werewolf in London, What We Do In The Shadows.

Freaky, Re-Animator, Trick ‘r Treat, Ready or Not, Jennifer’s Body, Braindead, Cooties, Young Frankenstein.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

El Dia Del Bestia (1995) is a fun horror comedy about a Catholic priest teaming up with a metalhead to try to sin as much as possible so he can find out the location of the soon to be born antichrist and murder it.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Ooh, I hosted a horror-comedy stream this past Halloween. Here's the long list before trimming:

The voices
Detention
Tucker & Dale
Body melt
Dead alive
Tx chainsaw massacre 2
Return of the living dead
The faculty
Mom & dad
Fathers day
Butt boy
Psycho goreman
The editor
Idle hands
Poultrygeist
Slither
Barbarian
Deadstream

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Doltos posted:

A solid chunk of kiwi horror is horror comedy or horror with a healthy dose of comedy. All of Peter Jackson’s earlier stuff, Black Sheep, Housebound, Night of the Hell Hamsters.

There are probably some straight ones, but they’re not coming to mind off hand.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ive been meaning to watch Idle Hands again lately, I believe that is a horror comedy

Watched that last month, it’s the most 90s thing ever. It’s also a lot of fun. Devon Sawa doing some legitimately great physical comedy.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Doltos posted:

you've covered most of the best there. I'd call the first few of the following also essential and then the rest at least enjoyable enough for an eventual watch.

fright night
day of the beast
phantom of the paradise
little shop of horrors
dr. phibes
theatre of blood
zombieland
serial mom
witches of eastwick
deadstream
dead snow
dead snow 2
the revenant
detention
fido
frighteners
death becomes her
eight legged freaks
grabbers
lake placid
piranha 3D
dead heat
deathgasm
wolf cop
housebound
mom and dad
feast
severance
the cottage
infestation
dude bro party massacre
murder party
the editor
you might be the killer

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Unless I'm blind no one suggested Malignant which is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Add Creepshow to the horror comedy list please.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also Reanimator

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Pee Mak is a very charming and funny ghost story.

Tammy & The T-Rex is great and Petey Wheatstraw is fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Has anyone said Fido yet?

No idea how that aged, but I remember thinking it was okay/kind of cute at the time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Behind the mask

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has anyone said Fido yet?

No idea how that aged, but I remember thinking it was okay/kind of cute at the time.

I watched it this year, it's still cute!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Medullah posted:

Unless I'm blind no one suggested Malignant which is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen

I completely watched this movie in the wrong frame of mind the first time. It's absolutely amazing if you shut your brain off.

Stink Billyums posted:

eight legged freaks

Eight Legged Freaks is absolutely horrifying and has some really scary moments in a weird David Arquette vehicle.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doltos posted:

Eight Legged Freaks is absolutely horrifying and has some really scary moments in a weird David Arquette vehicle.

Also Looney Toons/Gremlins sound design for the spiders, which robs them of some of their ickyness.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Murder Party was pretty funny.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Philthy posted:

Murder Party was pretty funny.

Its funny to me that Jeremy Saulnier wrote and directed this because its so totally different than all his other films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I've just finished Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Sweet home from 1989. Wild tonal change where it starts as a goofy Scooby-doo kind of thing and ends up featuring some of the best goop I've seen this year and an unexpectedly great final monster puppet helped by fantastic lighting and wind effects.
It was released alongside a videogame that went on to inspire Resident Evil apparently. It's very different from Kurosawa's other horror films but worth seeing imo.
TW for a very dead child.