Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if it’s the wrong fs type on disk, it’ll fail the very beginning magic check long before it starts interpreting bogus structures as inodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Holy poo poo. Somehow, miraculously, fsck saved it. I'm gonna move quickly and copy as much save data as I can, then I'm replacing the MicroSD. Sincerely, thanks for all the help, goons.

homeless snail posted:

That looks hosed to me, its really formatted ext4? Try fsck but I wouldn't count on it

I've only ever formatted it in Steam Deck's gaming mode. :shrug:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Vegetable posted:

They also said no new model just months ago and now this. They’ll say anything to close a sale.

They were pretty clever in the wording to make it clear that a refresh isn't off the table iirc. Just that a "Steam Deck 2" isn't happening any time soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Boar It posted:

They were pretty clever in the wording to make it clear that a refresh isn't off the table iirc. Just that a "Steam Deck 2" isn't happening any time soon.

They even specifically said they were working on an update with a better screen and battery as a mid-gen refresh at one point.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
SD cards are really incredible fragile. I've lost so many to corruption over the years, and they never seem to get better…

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Antigravitas posted:

SD cards are really incredible fragile. I've lost so many to corruption over the years, and they never seem to get better…

I've never had a single issue, but I don't take them out often either.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I have a whole stack of corrupt ones from my raspberry pi, camera, etc.

Writing once and never overwriting anything seems to work, but anything more and I fear for my data.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, for best results, leave em in, and only buy from reputable brands (Sandisk, Kingston, and I think... Lexar, to name a few?)

I'm not saying they're infallible, but you'll generally get way more mileage from those than the lesser, cheaper brands.

Also, pay attention to the transfer speed.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 11, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vic posted:

Yeah but I'm running user grade hardware so it's not even a DNS thing, it's my lovely router buckling under port scans.

With how popular SD is I think the the site is kinda redundant anyway. I could actually host it for cheap, but I think we're doing just fine.

Cloudflare does full ddos protection https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/ddos/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never really had any problems with MicroSDs personally, I even have some 2GB MicroCenter-branded cards from over a decade ago still kicking around just fine. Still have backups of anything remotely important on them, just in case, but I'm not worried about them kicking the bucket.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN have an extremely in-depth teardown of the OLEDeck going over the changes on a component by component basis. It's very different. The most interesting part is the heavily simplified motherboard, which possibly means they're trying to maintain a design that can be carried forward to a Deck 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jhRh11bTRA

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 11, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deck 2 needs to use enterprise class CF cards instead

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Does the oled steam deck allow you to switch the screen off whilst downloading is going on? Od be worried about screen burn in if not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Does the oled steam deck allow you to switch the screen off whilst downloading is going on? Od be worried about screen burn in if not.

Screen burn is something that doesn't happen until something's usually been on the screen for days or weeks, not hours so I wouldn't worry about it much. I expect they'll have an option to dim or turn off the screen while downloading though, Desktop does that already when copying files.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

njsykora posted:

Screen burn is something that doesn't happen until something's usually been on the screen for days or weeks, not hours so I wouldn't worry about it much. I expect they'll have an option to dim or turn off the screen while downloading though, Desktop does that already when copying files.

If you use the Deck enough, it will absolutely happen, because the "days to weeks" is cumulative, and displaying other imagery in between the times displaying static imagery doesn't help.

Source: I used to drive a lot for work, and used Waze while driving. Despite only usually driving for a few hours per day, and not in long stretches, and despite using the phone for plenty of other stuff in between driving, eventually Waze static UI elements got burnt in.

So displaying the download screen will likely eventually cause some burn in.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Assuming the Deck is using a similar screen to the Nintendo Switch OLED, testers saw ~3600 hours of constant play on a static screen before any signs of burn-in: https://www.theverge.com/22966231/nintendo-switch-oled-burn-in-test-wulff-den .

Edit: For the average heavy user of a console I suspect that's like 4-5 years of use, at which point we'll be at a generational refresh and also replacement screens should be available.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 11, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's supposedly from the same company, though not the exact same screen.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm high playing my deck on the porch and it rules.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Annath posted:

If you use the Deck enough, it will absolutely happen, because the "days to weeks" is cumulative, and displaying other imagery in between the times displaying static imagery doesn't help.

That can't be true, surely? If displaying other imagery in between didn't help, then that would imply that every time a given pixel becomes a certain colour it permanently shifts a bit towards that colour, and eventually every OLED screen would gradually fade to the average of all colours it displayed (presumably white)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

The_White_Crane posted:

That can't be true, surely? If displaying other imagery in between didn't help, then that would imply that every time a given pixel becomes a certain colour it permanently shifts a bit towards that colour, and eventually every OLED screen would gradually fade to the average of all colours it displayed (presumably white)

I mean, that's exactly what happened to me with a Samsung Note 10+.

My routine was Using the phone as normal, leave for work, activate Waze, drive to destination, work/use phone normally/etc, repeat each day. Some drives were longer than others, up to 2 hours, but never more than that, and not even 5 days per week (I only traveled 3-4 days per week).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Burn in can be a problem but IME I never got it on my TV or Vita. Whether you'll get it if you're not watching something like news or sports on a screen that will have the ticker or whatever on the screen a bunch seems to be somewhat random. I use my LG TV from 5 or so years ago pretty frequently mostly with movies and games and have 0 burn in but my friend got burn in 3 years in on the same model. I think newer TVs and such have ways of preventing burn in now also maybe.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

I believe "burn-in" is actually "burn-out," in that the pixels wear out and dim over time, which is why burn-in is most prominent on a white screen.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Any reason why Animal Crossing, emulated through Dolphin, runs perfectly in Desktop Mode, but crashes/doesn't load at all in Game Mode?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Annath posted:

Any reason why Animal Crossing, emulated through Dolphin, runs perfectly in Desktop Mode, but crashes/doesn't load at all in Game Mode?

Potentially resolution, potentially some incompatible battery saving tech activating. I'd open a bug ticket with Dolphin; they usually act quickly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hey i just remembered something. i bought a hardware steam link for five bucks like ten years ago and used it for about half an hour. could i use it to stream games from my deck to my tv? has anyone done this? i googled but it's all people trying to use the steam link app

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah it works

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mr E posted:

I think newer TVs and such have ways of preventing burn in now also maybe.

Yeah. My 2-year old Sony will replay changes made to each pixel in reverse so to speak to undo the effects of burn in when it's turned off. So it requires being left plugged in when turned off - I was planning to put the TV on an Alexa controlled plug to prevent idle current draw and provide some spike protection, but that's a no-no for anti-burn-in.

I'm sure Valve will do whatever is needed to protect/maintain that screen, given games have so many static elements. They're really good about stuff like this in general. The Deck's battery management has improved visibly since release for example.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Yeah it works

sick, thank you!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Burn in doesn’t seem to be that big of an issue these days. I got the first Samsung Galaxy phone that had an always on display OLED. Within a few months, I was able to see the faint burn in on the Lock Screen clock and the Awful app UI. That was a few years back. The OLED devices I’ve had since then haven’t had a trace of burn in. I got an iPhone 14 the day it launched, it was the first iPhone with an always on display and it didn’t show any signs of burn in at all over a year later.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

I believe "burn-in" is actually "burn-out," in that the pixels wear out and dim over time, which is why burn-in is most prominent on a white screen.

Yep, I had an extremely bad case of burn-in on my old LG B7 that developed over a few years. It was like one big blob in the center that you could see in yellows and reds. It wasn't from any one thing, it was just using the TV normally over time and the LEDs start burning out.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Well, the good thing about the steam deck is the repairability at least. A few years down the line, you can just get a new screen if the burn in is bad I suppose. The price doesn't seem to be that egregious for the original LCD replacements but who knows about the OLED ones.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Boar It posted:

Well, the good thing about the steam deck is the repairability at least. A few years down the line, you can just get a new screen if the burn in is bad I suppose. The price doesn't seem to be that egregious for the original LCD replacements but who knows about the OLED ones.

Yeah probably, the problem with TV burn in is the panels are the entire cost of the TV.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
rtings does tons of burn in testing just let the people actually doing scientific testing draw conclusions

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sooo how hard do y'all think it will be to land a special edition deck on the 16th? :tinfoil:

I really really want it you guys

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

KingSlime posted:

Sooo how hard do y'all think it will be to land a special edition deck on the 16th? :tinfoil:

I really really want it you guys

I think it's gonna be really really hard. Lots of hype, plus holiday shopping season already in full gear, plus re-sellers trying to get a cut. Without knowing exactly how many are available I imagine this is gonna be one of those situations where a lot of us end up disappointed.

Would've been nice if Valve had offered some sort of pre-order or reservations or something but cest la vie. Set your alarm for 9:55 am PST/ 12:55 pm EST on 16 November, hope your Internet connection doesn't go down around that time, and pray.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

C'est la Valve.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So how good is the deck for Ps2 Gamecube and below emulation? Can this play star field and age of empires 4? Looks like diablo 4 runs on it. Because if this is basically a better switch in terms of I can dock it and connect a keyboard/controller mouse, I may just have to get this.... the new OLED one just looks super sick, and since I have a monitor at my girlfriends place, i could see this being the perfect/game on the couch with her or in my office at her house and then bring it home to my place when I'm there during the week.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, just set up ps5 remote play.

I don't have too many practical uses for it (got a ps4 hooked up to an HDTV upstairs already) but I'm continuously blown away by what the deck keeps doing.

Presumably I can set up remote play for the ps4 too and with moonlight (which I've not tested yet, streaming my PC it can basically give me access to play almost every game from every console generation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LionArcher posted:

So how good is the deck for Ps2 Gamecube and below emulation? Can this play star field and age of empires 4? Looks like diablo 4 runs on it. Because if this is basically a better switch in terms of I can dock it and connect a keyboard/controller mouse, I may just have to get this.... the new OLED one just looks super sick, and since I have a monitor at my girlfriends place, i could see this being the perfect/game on the couch with her or in my office at her house and then bring it home to my place when I'm there during the week.

The Deck can emulate some PS3 and Xbox 360 games, PS2 and Gamecube are no issue. For specific PC games go on YouTube and search [game name] Steam Deck and someone will have a performance video for it. There was an OS update specifically to address Starfield so I think it runs fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

LionArcher posted:

It's great for said emulation.