Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol my gf is drunk and confused as why. She bought some new beer earlier but didn’t realize they were 10% she’s had 5 of them

Hahahaha been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol my gf is drunk and confused as why. She bought some new beer earlier but didn’t realize they were 10% she’s had 5 of them

lol holy poo poo

That’ll do it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

swickles posted:

What's a good album to put on right now? First choice best choice (maybe).

If I’m by a campfire, I love Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

shirts and skins posted:

I really enjoyed the Loki finale. My only questions are, where does he poop. like, what does he eat

You DON'T want to see that timeline

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

BlindSite posted:

Hahahaha been there.

LeeMajors posted:

lol holy poo poo

That’ll do it.

It’s so funny. They’re the pumpkin beer ones, I tried them and they’re sweet and you can’t taste how strong they are

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s so funny. They’re the pumpkin beer ones, I tried them and they’re sweet and you can’t taste how strong they are

Some of the canned cocktails, especially the Cutwater ones, can also sneak up on you like this. I had 2 of the Long Island ones and didn't realize how much alcohol was in them and wondered why I was drunk so fast.

As for albums, this is the time of the year where I start listening to Transatlantisism on repeat. I'm more of a "this playlist is the expression of my SAD" person.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Smoked a turkey for a Friendsgiving today

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That looks awesome. How’d you do it? I was gonna do one for thanksgiving

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Some of the canned cocktails, especially the Cutwater ones, can also sneak up on you like this. I had 2 of the Long Island ones and didn't realize how much alcohol was in them and wondered why I was drunk so fast.

As for albums, this is the time of the year where I start listening to Transatlantisism on repeat. I'm more of a "this playlist is the expression of my SAD" person.

The Cutwater distillery rules, I need to go back

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Joey Freshwater posted:

That looks awesome. How’d you do it? I was gonna do one for thanksgiving

Spatchcock it (to speed up the cook), dry brine two night prior to cooking, wet rub (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and a few other spices mixed with olive oil), smoke with apple wood (I’m sure other fruity woods would work) at 325 (I use an electric smoker that doesn’t go that high so I move it to the oven after an hour or two). I only apply smoke for an hour or so. If you really want to get in the weeds, this guide is my bible: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/ultimate-bbq-turkey-recipe/

E: pull it at 160 degrees

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm like 99% sure the only reason super hoppy IPAs became a thing was just because they were 7%+ abv. In my table waiting days I would go to this kinda fancy bar, except they also sold pints of Racer 5 (7.5% iirc) for four bucks during happy hour.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm like 99% sure the only reason super hoppy IPAs became a thing was just because they were 7%+ abv. In my table waiting days I would go to this kinda fancy bar, except they also sold pints of Racer 5 (7.5% iirc) for four bucks during happy hour.

I got blind on Racer 5 bombers many a night. Great beer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Well the rest of the family is dropped off for their trip, time to see how long I can go without talking out loud. lol my son's plane ticket got lost by the airline so now my wife has to fly 20 hours on solo parent duty, poo poo sucks man

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 12, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Joey Freshwater posted:

A long time ago I settled in for a solo watch of Jesus Christ vampire hunter with a half dozen la fin du monds and I somewhat disassociated after an hour

Air Skwirl posted:

My whole neighborhood has been drinking goose island hazy ipas for months because they're between 7 and 9.9% abv and constantly on sale at the nearest liquor store for 10 bucks a 12 pack.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
never saw the conjuring until today and it's extremely ehhhhhhhhhhh

why do people gush about it?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

should have never taught my kids the word "spatchcock" now they think they can get away with it all the time

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’m a bad PacNW native because I’m sick to death of stupid IPAs, they make up over half of every tap list I see and I’ll never order a single goddamn one, give me literally anything else. Ooh, good job, the microbrewery of the week managed to jam pack so many stupid hops in there it tastes like hop syrup, well loving done you

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I still like IPAs despite their over representation but man I wish tripels would get trendy like that

Or barleywines, feels like it's impossible to find a good one

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’m a bad PacNW native because I’m sick to death of stupid IPAs, they make up over half of every tap list I see and I’ll never order a single goddamn one, give me literally anything else. Ooh, good job, the microbrewery of the week managed to jam pack so many stupid hops in there it tastes like hop syrup, well loving done you

I mean, IPAs are good but they're popular because they sell and their tank time is low.

Lagers take longer to ferment and do so at cooler temps. Sours take FOREVER because bacteria works slow and it's basically impossible to resterilize a tank after you use it for any lacto (so thats what it is, forever!).

But pales and IPAs have pretty simple grain bills, dry out quickly and cleanly in a near-room temp fermentation, dry hop or infuse with seasonal varieties and done.

E: I agree about Belgians. Tripels were always my favorite brew, second was a decoction-mashed dunkel. Good clean german lagers loving rule.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

only belgian trappist monks know how to make tripels

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Alaois posted:

only belgian trappist monks know how to make tripels

I've encountered a few estery domestic tripels that were decent, but yeah. St Bernardus, so loving good.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I drink IPAs very rarely now. Would much rather have a pilsner, lager or sour. There are some places around Austin that make incredible hefe’s so I’ll have one of those from certain breweries.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

from anecdotal experience kölsches seem to be getting popular down South and I wish they were more widely available up here

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I've encountered a few estery domestic tripels that were decent, but yeah. St Bernardus, so loving good.

I love St Bernardus but it's gotten Chimay expensive

I used to get the Prior 8 but now I can only ever find the Abbott 12

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Steel. Reserve.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Alaois posted:

from anecdotal experience kölsches seem to be getting popular down South and I wish they were more widely available up here

Kolsches were really popular in South Florida for a while because they are great boat/beach beers. Light, crisp, refreshing and will take a fruit treatment really nicely to up the appeal. Wakefield's Pineapple Kolsch was so loving delicious.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Alaois posted:

If you're ever in Charleston or SC, try to track down Coast 32/50 Kolsch.

Absolutely crushable in our swampy summers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I wasn’t super into IPAs back when I was in college and drank more, or in grad school and drank professionally, some are ok but I’ll go to other styles when I’m getting craft stuff now.

That reminds me, I should go on a beer run tonight. Need to take the car out anyways.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

a sexual elk posted:

Steel. Reserve.

When I was in the band in college the traditional "breakfast of champions" was doughnuts and beer. Much more common on game days was the "industrial-strength breakfast of champions" (ISBOC) which were double bacon cheeseburgers from Jack in the Box and Steel Reserve 40s

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

harperdc posted:

I wasn’t super into IPAs back when I was in college and drank more, or in grad school and drank professionally, some are ok but I’ll go to other styles when I’m getting craft stuff now.

That reminds me, I should go on a beer run tonight. Need to take the car out anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCPhIjmk-s

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Intruder posted:

I still like IPAs despite their over representation but man I wish tripels would get trendy like that

Or barleywines, feels like it's impossible to find a good one
Ugh, barleywine! I can't remember the last time I got a loving barley wine! They're so damned good.

I swear beer sections are like half IPAs and sours around here, and then the other half is...everything else. loving Two Roads made bank on sours and now every loving brewery in the area bandwagoned the sour train. Meanwhile I have no barleywines or quadrupels...

Dubbels are really good and really underrepresented too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

If you're ever in Charleston or SC, try to track down Coast 32/50 Kolsch.

Absolutely crushable in our swampy summers.

1718 Brewery in Ocracoke makes a coffee kölsch that is one of the wildest beers ive ever drank, crazy brewery in general

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Ugh, barleywine! I can't remember the last time I got a loving barley wine! They're so damned good.

I swear beer sections are like half IPAs and sours around here, and then the other half is...everything else. loving Two Roads made bank on sours and now every loving brewery in the area bandwagoned the sour train. Meanwhile I have no barleywines or quadrupels...

Dubbels are really good and really underrepresented too.

Never a bad idea to grab a six pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot whenever you see it, you can stash it for years and it ages so nicely

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

shirts and skins posted:

Never a bad idea to grab a six pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot whenever you see it, you can stash it for years and it ages so nicely

Bigfoot is extremely good.

I knew the owner of this little brewpub who did a ten year vertical flight for me one night and it was wild how much better it got with age.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like whitbiers but they're hard to find out here. Lots of independent breweries making IPAs so I try to buy small makers where I can.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Flipping through the channels I saw a football game with my hometown team, noticed the quarterback has the same last name as the quarterback from back when I was in high school. Without thinking about it I started wondering if it was his younger brother or something, looked it up, and it’s his son. I’m gonna go crumble into dust now

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Flipping through the channels I saw a football game with my hometown team, noticed the quarterback has the same last name as the quarterback from back when I was in high school. Without thinking about it I started wondering if it was his younger brother or something, looked it up, and it’s his son. I’m gonna go crumble into dust now

This guy I played baseball with growing up got his girlfriend pregnant when we were 13, and it occurred to me in passing the other night that that kid is now 27 and I just disintegrated and blew away.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LeeMajors posted:

This guy I played baseball with growing up got his girlfriend pregnant when we were 13, and it occurred to me in passing the other night that that kid is now 27 and I just disintegrated and blew away.

This is college ball so the dude’s actually older than me and it really makes sense, but my brain still refuses to accept that I’m not barely older than college eligible, and not even in the Brandon Weedon sense

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

1718 Brewery in Ocracoke makes a coffee kölsch that is one of the wildest beers ive ever drank, crazy brewery in general

An Arizona local, Huss, makes the Koffee Kölsch and it's delicious. Top 5 pool beer for me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

What's a good album to put on right now? First choice best choice (maybe).

This site's pretty cool, it randomly generates a daily album from a book called "1001 Albums to Hear Before You Die" and you can customize it to only serve you genres you want. It's 100% free and you can make as many lists as you want.
https://1001albumsgenerator.com/

Joey Freshwater posted:

One time years ago my buddy was driving us down to see a Rams game, he hands me a bag of THC edibles and says open it up and get us each one, so I did. They were kind of large but didn't have any obvious break marks for portioning. Recreational edibles in CA are always 10mg or less, he didn't mention the bag was something he got on the grey market. Turns out they were 100mg each!

Luckily he and I are both longtime professionals, but that was definitely a hazy memories day after that.

Oh, and chili without beans is just Meat Soup. I put 4 different types into my chili to great result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Luckily he and I are both longtime professionals, but that was definitely a hazy memories day after

Perfect for a Rams game