Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Get an Apple Silicon (M1, M2, M3). Preferably a Pro or better for the multiple display support. Minimum 512GB ssd and probably 24GB of ram. More ram is better, but I think 24 would do you well unless you are running vm’s or analyzing very large datasets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

well why not posted:

steve-o showed up to a mac store with wozniak and they used woz’s apple employee number (1) to get steve-o a computer

Did anybody tell Steve-O that you can't play Diablo on a Mac? Whoopi Goldberg was furious that you can't play Diablo 4 on Mac because she had played 2 and 3 on Macs.

poo poo, didn't Diablo 1 come out on Mac also? I sure played Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and WC2 on Macs, and WC3 launched on Macs day 1.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Perestroika posted:

This may be a somewhat silly question, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. I'm starting a new job as a software developer next year, and the question of hardware came up. So far I only ever worked on Linux (and rarely Windows), but the new boss suggested I may wanna look into getting a Mac because the rest of the company uses them as well.

I've never used anything Apple before but I figure I might as well give it a try, doubly so since I'm not paying for it. So now I'm just asking if there's anything in particular to look out for, any specific models to pick or avoid, or if I can just pick any old MacBook with decent specs and roll with that. Mostly I'd be doing stuff like coding in Python and JavaScript, as well as various maintenance stuff like accessing databases or ssh'ing places via the console.

MacOS is also UNIX-based. The terminal will feel mostly familiar with some small differences like your home folder being in a slightly different place relative to root and a couple tools like sed have different flags or flag behavior that are easily StackOverflow-able. Macs are popular with devs because it’s close to a Linux environment but with incredible hardware and apps that are pleasant to use, albeit closed-source and paid (I have also daily-driven Linux, not making GBS threads on the open source ecosystem and understand some people’s commitment to it, but I love me some Airmail and Fantastical and I ended up coming back to Mac for productivity’s sake).

But as the person above said, yes, grab anything at least that is M1/2/3. Nothing Intel based, they’re just completely outdated now performance wise.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Perestroika posted:

This may be a somewhat silly question, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. I'm starting a new job as a software developer next year, and the question of hardware came up. So far I only ever worked on Linux (and rarely Windows), but the new boss suggested I may wanna look into getting a Mac because the rest of the company uses them as well.

I've never used anything Apple before but I figure I might as well give it a try, doubly so since I'm not paying for it. So now I'm just asking if there's anything in particular to look out for, any specific models to pick or avoid, or if I can just pick any old MacBook with decent specs and roll with that. Mostly I'd be doing stuff like coding in Python and JavaScript, as well as various maintenance stuff like accessing databases or ssh'ing places via the console.

First of all, congrats on the new job! I’m not a dev but I tinker with enough source code to have a little background and am friends with a number of programmers.

- 32GB RAM should be plenty; if you get an Air, max it out with 24GB RAM and follow whatever guidelines for storage IT suggests, or is willing to pay for. More than a terabyte is probably overkill unless your repos are huge and can’t be hosted on an external drive for some reason.

- MacPorts or Homebrew are by far and away the easiest way to install dependencies for development. They’re effectively third party package management, and can do a lot more than just replace the creaky GPL2-licensed CLI bits macOS comes with.

- Take a little time to get used to some of macOS’s conventions and filesystem layout versus your preferred Linux distributions. It could save you a few head scratchers later.

- Barring RAM concerns any Apple Silicon Mac on the market should cheerfully grind through Python and JS work. Take a look at a few options and have fun.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 11, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

Did anybody tell Steve-O that you can't play Diablo on a Mac? Whoopi Goldberg was furious that you can't play Diablo 4 on Mac because she had played 2 and 3 on Macs.

poo poo, didn't Diablo 1 come out on Mac also? I sure played Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and WC2 on Macs, and WC3 launched on Macs day 1.

Yeah, but honestly some part of me feels that we will see D4 on macOS someday, especially if it ends up showing up on the Nintendo Switch 2, if only because MS probably wants games on as many non-Sony systems as possible.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That's reassuring to hear, thanks for the responses and suggestions! Time to see just how fancy these things are for myself. :getin:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, but honestly some part of me feels that we will see D4 on macOS someday, especially if it ends up showing up on the Nintendo Switch 2, if only because MS probably wants games on as many non-Sony systems as possible.

Blizzard is owned by Microsoft now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Blizzard is owned by Microsoft now.

I know, which is why I hope we’ll see some Blizzard games make their way back to macOS.

Even if it’s not a huge money maker, it’s in their interest from a regulatory perspective to see some of the games on other systems/etc for awhile, and I think one of the stipulations of either the EU or UK approval (or both?) was that if someone comes and asks for a game to be ported to the system, MS has to accommodate it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Saw the Blackbook Pro at my local Costco today. It does look really nice in person; I'll probably have self restraint and wait to upgrade my M1 Max until the M4s debut, but it is a nice step up from the Space Black before it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
People are playing Diablo 4 right now on Macs perfectly well using the game porting toolkit, at least until blizzard decides it’s a ToS violation.

Not that you need Diablo 4 in a world where BG3 exists.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Lord Bude posted:

Not that you need Diablo 4 in a world where BG3 exists.

Two entirely different appetites.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Two entirely different appetites.

Yeah, one is good the other is Diablo 4.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crossover works incredibly well too

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Small White Dragon posted:

Probably should've bought more RAM ;)

I was told that 16 GB would be plenty for most applications 😐

TBF the M2 Air can handle nearly everything I throw at it and it’s become my favorite computer. I love how lightweight and slim it is and how I can throw it in a tote or a backpack and not have to worry about the weight. It would definitely be a trade off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm a depraved individual that went with 8GB (Macbook Air M2), but I also pretty much only use Safari exclusively, and Logic Pro. I've had zero issues. For everything else I would rather use my desktop PC.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Selling a computer that costs over $1000 with 8GB of RAM should be illegal

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BUUNNI posted:

TBF the M2 Air can handle nearly everything I throw at it and it’s become my favorite computer. I love how lightweight and slim it is and how I can throw it in a tote or a backpack and not have to worry about the weight. It would definitely be a trade off.

VMs and processing large data sets aren't "most applications." You would honestly want more than even 32GB for all that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Crossover works incredibly well too

What games have you tried with Crossover? I've been thinking of getting it since I've read good things about 23.5, but haven't yet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hatty posted:

Selling a computer that costs over $1000 with 8GB of RAM should be illegal

You get twice as much RAM and disk on a $140 computer as a $1,100 MacBook Air.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wow that’s crazy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good thing they also offer 16gb and 512gb options.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BUUNNI posted:

In general, this is probably true, but once you start throwing VMs into the mix, all bets are off.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I'm a depraved individual that went with 8GB (Macbook Air M2), but I also pretty much only use Safari exclusively, and Logic Pro. I've had zero issues. For everything else I would rather use my desktop PC.

Same, people underestimate how unnoticeable ssd swap is on this thing, I think you only need 16 gb if you really know you need it, these things just don’t use RAM in the same way as other computers. If your use case is ‘typing things into office programmes or browsing the web or watching stuff’ it’s great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/macrumors/status/1722974271876816905?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

quote:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Yuryev saw significant performance improvements across the board using the 16GB machine under both middling and heavier workloads. The 8GB model took several minutes longer to complete photo-merging jobs in Photoshop as well as media exports in Final Cut and Adobe Lightroom Classic.

These tests were conducted as single operations with nothing else running, but also repeated with browser tabs, YouTube videos, spreadsheets, emails, and the like, open in the background to simulate typical real-world multi-tasking scenarios. As expected, the performance gap between the two machines widened further as the 8GB increasingly relied on its SSD swap file, while all-round responsiveness took a hit. Yuryev even reported crashes on the 8GB model during Blender rendering and a Final Cut export.

Notably, Blender's raytracing acceleration was available as an option on the 16GB models, but was conspicuously absent on the 8GB MacBook Pro for an identical rendering job, suggesting the reduced memory pool actually prevents the GPU cores from utilizing certain features.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eve online runs and looks fantastic on my 16 M1 Pro.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I hemmed and hawed all weekend and finally hit the button on the 14" M3 BlackBook Pro with M3 Pro, 18GB RAM, and 1TB storage. Picking it up from Best Buy any minute now. It will be replacing a Thinkpad X13 that is collecting dust because the battery life - even with a modern Ryzen processor - is abhorrent, not to even mention the screen lottery you tend to play on ThinkPads.

At least it should be easy to flip... anyone in the market for a Gen 2 X13 with a 2 year remaining depot warranty and an upgraded 2TB NVMe? :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

Eve online runs and looks fantastic on my 16 M1 Pro.

:raise:

When has EVE ever run fine on anything

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yes but these are heavy single workloads that saturate 8GB, not a dozen less intensive tasks that aren’t even really all running constantly and can be swapped out fairly painlessly.

(Get the 16GB)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes but these are heavy single workloads that saturate 8GB, not a dozen less intensive tasks that aren’t even really all running constantly and can be swapped out fairly painlessly.

(Get the 16GB)

M3 should have been the inflection point when Apple pushed a minimum of 12GB out to all of its machines. 8GB wasn’t even a lot of RAM in 2012.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
how is apple going to survive if they cant charge $250 for an additional 8GB of ram

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hasturtium posted:

M3 should have been the inflection point when Apple pushed a minimum of 12GB out to all of its machines. 8GB wasn’t even a lot of RAM in 2012.

I watched a techtuber mention that rumor too (based on reports the m3 would support 24gb ram), and uhh, lol.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Macichne Leainig posted:

I hemmed and hawed all weekend and finally hit the button on the 14" M3 BlackBook Pro with M3 Pro, 18GB RAM, and 1TB storage. Picking it up from Best Buy any minute now. It will be replacing a Thinkpad X13 that is collecting dust because the battery life - even with a modern Ryzen processor - is abhorrent, not to even mention the screen lottery you tend to play on ThinkPads.

At least it should be easy to flip... anyone in the market for a Gen 2 X13 with a 2 year remaining depot warranty and an upgraded 2TB NVMe? :v:

Congrats! I've been looking at my space gray 14" MBP M1 Max since seeing the Blackbook Pro yesterday, and gently caress, do I want that new color... So I'm very jealous.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Also, is bandwidth consistent between all models of M3 Macs? I’m getting a tingling on the back of my neck remembering the base model 2019 Pro, and how the base 32GB RAM only used four channels out of its available six.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
If I’m replacing my 2018 Mini, does it make sense to go with a base model studio rather than the Mini with the M2Pro as upgrading it to 32gb of ram makes it cost exactly the same as the studio.

Or whenever they make the studio with the M3 chips or we

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

track day bro! posted:

If I’m replacing my 2018 Mini, does it make sense to go with a base model studio rather than the Mini with the M2Pro as upgrading it to 32gb of ram makes it cost exactly the same as the studio.

I’m hovering between options myself. Most of my post history in this thread in 2022 was basically obsessing over a base model Studio I still haven’t picked up, but I’m about to talk myself into it for the express purpose of having a long-lasting Mac desktop that’ll make short work of transcoding my entire Blu-ray and DVD collection. It depends on your use case - just nudging the M2 Pro mini to 32GB won’t make it the same price as a Studio, but tacking on a CPU upgrade as well would nearly close the gap.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

Also, is bandwidth consistent between all models of M3 Macs? I’m getting a tingling on the back of my neck remembering the base model 2019 Pro, and how the base 32GB RAM only used four channels out of its available six.

No, it's not consistent between all models of M3, and it's even worse this time around, since they're doing segmentation even within models, so M3 is 100 GB/s bandwidth, while M3 Pro takes that up to 150 GB/s; M3 Max then has either 300 GB/s or 400 GBs, depending on if you go with the 14-core CPU or 16-core CPU.

This is compared to M1 and M2's, where it was 100 GB/s for the base, 200 GB/s for the Pros, and 400 GB/s for the Max's.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple even bothers with the 14-core M3 Max option when doubling up for the M3 Ultra, or if it just baselines at the 16-core option and the full bandwidth. My guess is that they will do a 28c CPU/60c GPU M3 Ultra @ 600 GB/s, and then the 32c CPU/80c GPU M3 Ultra @ 800 GB/s.

Either way, it's annoying as hell.

track day bro! posted:

Base model studio is almost always a better bang-for-your-buck than the M# Pro mini if you spec the mini to have equal RAM and storage to the base studio. I actually think the difference will be even more pronounced with the M3 generation, since the M3 Pro took a step back on performance cores, going from the 12-core option of the M2 Pro that had 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, to now the M3 Pro's same 12-core option, but with 6 performance and 6 efficiency. The M3 Pro still gains some performance over the M2 Pro given architectural improvements (speed, etc) and the node shrink, but it's definitely a bit of a bummer, at least when it comes to the Mac mini, since it really doesn't matter about battery life with it.

I would expect the base Studio to be equal to the intro M3 Max on the MBP, so probably 14-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, but probably now a 1TB SSD. They might bump the price though a bit unfortunately, but we'll see... They could also surprise though at WWDC 2024, and maybe add in another tier of M3 Max, but that's just 100% non-justified speculation on my part.

Edit:

Hasturtium posted:

I’m hovering between options myself. Most of my post history in this thread in 2022 was basically obsessing over a base model Studio I still haven’t picked up, but I’m about to talk myself into it for the express purpose of having a long-lasting Mac desktop that’ll make short work of transcoding my entire Blu-ray and DVD collection. It depends on your use case - just nudging the M2 Pro mini to 32GB won’t make it the same price as a Studio, but tacking on a CPU upgrade as well would nearly close the gap.

Not sure if you have a Costco near you, and it's probably gone, but they were cleaning out base M1 Max Studios for $999.97 recently, and for that price, it's an absolute steal.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Canned Sunshine posted:

No, it's not consistent between all models of M3, and it's even worse this time around, since they're doing segmentation even within models, so M3 is 100 GB/s bandwidth, while M3 Pro takes that up to 150 GB/s; M3 Max then has either 300 GB/s or 400 GBs, depending on if you go with the 14-core CPU or 16-core CPU.

This is compared to M1 and M2's, where it was 100 GB/s for the base, 200 GB/s for the Pros, and 400 GB/s for the Max's.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple even bothers with the 14-core M3 Max option when doubling up for the M3 Ultra, or if it just baselines at the 16-core option and the full bandwidth. My guess is that they will do a 28c CPU/60c GPU M3 Ultra @ 600 GB/s, and then the 32c CPU/80c GPU M3 Ultra @ 800 GB/s.

Either way, it's annoying as hell.

Base model studio is almost always a better bang-for-your-buck than the M# Pro mini if you spec the mini to have equal RAM and storage to the base studio. I actually think the difference will be even more pronounced with the M3 generation, since the M3 Pro took a step back on performance cores, going from the 12-core option of the M2 Pro that had 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, to now the M3 Pro's same 12-core option, but with 6 performance and 6 efficiency. The M3 Pro still gains some performance over the M2 Pro given architectural improvements (speed, etc) and the node shrink, but it's definitely a bit of a bummer, at least when it comes to the Mac mini, since it really doesn't matter about battery life with it.

I would expect the base Studio to be equal to the intro M3 Max on the MBP, so probably 14-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, but probably now a 1TB SSD. They might bump the price though a bit unfortunately, but we'll see... They could also surprise though at WWDC 2024, and maybe add in another tier of M3 Max, but that's just 100% non-justified speculation on my part.

Edit:

Not sure if you have a Costco near you, and it's probably gone, but they were cleaning out base M1 Max Studios for $999.97 recently, and for that price, it's an absolute steal.

That's all helpful info. I kept one beady eye on my local Costcos for a while, but I think that ship has sailed. Micro Center's offering its Mac desktops with a 10% discount, so I will likely bite the bullet and dole out $1800 for a base Studio before long... It's so much more than I need at the moment that it makes it easier to rationalize.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

That's all helpful info. I kept one beady eye on my local Costcos for a while, but I think that ship has sailed. Micro Center's offering its Mac desktops with a 10% discount, so I will likely bite the bullet and dole out $1800 for a base Studio before long... It's so much more than I need at the moment that it makes it easier to rationalize.

Yeah, if you don't particularly care about the feature improvements coming in the M3 Max's, such as AV1 decode and hardware mesh shader/ray tracing, then I don't think you'd go wrong with the base M2 Max that has the 12 core CPU and 30 core GPU. One thing to note about the base M2 Max Studio though: Apple did their historical bullshit shenanigans when it came to the SSD; the base Studio has 512 GB, but it has less bandwidth than the 1TB and up; the 512GB is around 3,000 MB/s I believe, while the 1TB and up are 6,000-7,000 MB/s. If your workflow is sensitive to SSD speed, it might be worth considering going up to 1TB. What's particularly annoying in this instance, is that they didn't reduce the speed of the 512GB SSD in the M1 Max base Studio; I'm sure there's a reason the M2 Max saw it, but whether it was due to supply constraints, penny pinching, or whatever, I don't know.

Since you mentioned that you had kept an eye on Costco, just an FYI: Costco starts their "Mac Sales" event tomorrow, November 13th, and they've already advertised that it's going to include the Studios they sell (https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearc...x7BndmjxpJko%3D). So right now, the base M2 Max Studio is $1950, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to $1,750 or $1,800 tomorrow when the sale starts.

You mentioned Microcenter had a 10% deal too, so pretty comparable. I'm not sure what Microcenter's return policy is like, but Costco will let you return the Studio up to 90 days after purchase, so if you decided after a month or two that it didn't meet your workflow, or you saw a better deal, you could always return it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
post Costco deals when they happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Canned Sunshine posted:

Most of the RAM bandwidth is there to feed the GPU. For example the M3 Max options are 14c CPU + 30c GPU or 16c CPU + 40c GPU. 300 GB/s to feed a 30c GPU is the same bandwidth per GPU core as 400 GB/s for a 40c GPU.

Basically they seem to be sizing memory bus width to more closely match the demands of each SoC variant this time around instead of just letting lower models have a lot of excess bandwidth. Saves Apple money while hopefully not costing you much (if any) performance.