Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

Why has everybody at my work had brain frog the past month? (self.answers)

Suggestions, in order of vote score:

I love the idea that an entire workforce is just that broken up over i/p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
an entire office of people freaking out at Free Parking signs

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
A ton of people I work with go to a temple that got shot up during the Trunp presidency and now noone’s even brought the current conflict up.

The workers are tiiiiiiired

not fixing that typo

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Got my aptitude metrix direct order today, mine are all 2024-04-21 expiration dates. The reader unit has no expiration date as a side note. Not planning to test yet as no reason to and I'm not made of money so nothing to report there.

My 6 year old has a cold of some sort so I tried testing twice with these metrix tests for the first time. Saliva method. They say to not go over the black line (maximum) ignoring bubbles, I had her put maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the way to the black line the first time. Test failed/invalid result. For the second test we went all the way to the black line, was it a touch over? Maybe hard to tell when you are looking at clear saliva in a chamber of plastic with fins and all. Test failed/invalid result.

I don't know guess we'll just die. I can't afford to buy tons of these tests just to hope we can figure out the perfect method and amount of spit. If she actually gets sick sick then I can probably get insurance to cover a PCR and *only* be out likely $50 for that pleasure.

I think the metrix tests should add a minimum and maximum line so you aren't playing The Price Is Right with your spit.

gently caress.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that sucks rear end. I have always done the nose swab with them, spit seems too hard to get right

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i am now part moth

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

My 6 year old has a cold of some sort so I tried testing twice with these metrix tests for the first time. Saliva method. They say to not go over the black line (maximum) ignoring bubbles, I had her put maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the way to the black line the first time. Test failed/invalid result. For the second test we went all the way to the black line, was it a touch over? Maybe hard to tell when you are looking at clear saliva in a chamber of plastic with fins and all. Test failed/invalid result.

I don't know guess we'll just die. I can't afford to buy tons of these tests just to hope we can figure out the perfect method and amount of spit. If she actually gets sick sick then I can probably get insurance to cover a PCR and *only* be out likely $50 for that pleasure.

I think the metrix tests should add a minimum and maximum line so you aren't playing The Price Is Right with your spit.

gently caress.

I've had the spit test work while surprisingly far over the line. I think something else was going on.

That said, I think the swabs are the way to go (as long as you go low&slow). Even if you then swab the back of the throat a little too. In the testing used to validate the tests, the saliva was definitely less sensitive than the swabs, though not a huge difference.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/1goodtern/status/1723379573448949885?s=46

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BE BRAVE LIKE THE REST OF US

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Nov 11, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

A real dark lol at that final one.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Steve Yun posted:

Invasion of the Braincell Snatchers

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've had the spit test work while surprisingly far over the line. I think something else was going on.

That said, I think the swabs are the way to go (as long as you go low&slow). Even if you then swab the back of the throat a little too. In the testing used to validate the tests, the saliva was definitely less sensitive than the swabs, though not a huge difference.

Hmm well that's good to know anyway. I currently have one of those tests left so I'll try it again with her next time she's sick or if her current cold gets worse. The problem with the swab sticks is that she hates them which is why I bought the expensive "can use spit" tests in the first place :sigh:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Platystemon posted:

mf said brain frog

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
what’s brain fog

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
from hoerger's feed

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2811653

you'll be stunned to find that this is a betteridge's law situation

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

from hoerger's feed

Is Nosocomial Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Still Worth Preventing?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
nevermind!

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Nov 12, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
read the @#*&$^ article! it's not related to sars-2!!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Never forget what the lockdowns took from us.

https://twitter.com/Michigan_Noah/status/1723382898613465357

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol what a dumbass

https://www.aldenshop.com/collections/shoes

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
orthopedic
doctor martens good for
waffle makin, kickin through the shin

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hmm well that's good to know anyway. I currently have one of those tests left so I'll try it again with her next time she's sick or if her current cold gets worse. The problem with the swab sticks is that she hates them which is why I bought the expensive "can use spit" tests in the first place :sigh:

so what I do is tell them to make as much spit as they can, don’t worry about going over the line, then you dump it out until it’s just right. much easier than trying to get it exact the first time. You can even use one of those kids medicine syringes to extract the extra if it’s close.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Scanned a brain mri on this lady who's apparently just been cycling covid for years and I don't know what the gently caress is going on with her brain I've never seen anything like it and the closest thing I can come up with when looking into it is reaction to covid infection invading the brain.

Doctors are working her up for some mystery metastatic cancer, but she doesn't have a history of cancer. I'm not saying it's covid, but I've never seen mets look like this in my entire career as a not radiologist.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

from hoerger's feed

American hospitals already addressed this issue in the fall of 2020, gently caress yeah spread it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

from hoerger's feed

I love how they make multiple references to 'the cost of prevention' that we're just supposed to accept as a given. They never even explain what those 'costs' are or why it's such a burden or the 'tradeoffs'. It's all just taken for granted.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
scarcity. mindset.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

[Pestilence] I don't want to think about that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Gildiss posted:

[Pestilence] I don't want to think about that.

I mean, you have PhDs spreading the "all virus evolve to be mild" myth, try to argue that as a non doctorate and you look like a nut.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Steve Yun posted:

"How dare you mask shame me! You should be thanking me for my bravery, I'm a hero!!"

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I mean, you have PhDs spreading the "all virus evolve to be mild" myth, try to argue that as a non doctorate and you look like a nut.

the PhD only gets you listened to if you are saying the thing people want to hear

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

gently caress.

[Pestilence] I don't know I guess we'll just die

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

okay but, have you considered that this man is a Healthcare Hero for helping Number Go Up?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Baddog posted:

the PhD only gets you listened to if you are saying the thing people want to hear

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RealityWarCriminal posted:

mf said brain frog

https://twitter.com/GrebComics/status/1723357108567982492

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I love how they make multiple references to 'the cost of prevention' that we're just supposed to accept as a given. They never even explain what those 'costs' are or why it's such a burden or the 'tradeoffs'. It's all just taken for granted.

I think that’s a situation where you make a stronger case by letting the audience plug whatever that means to them in there. Actual costs are, what, buck or two per head per day if you’re just buying masks retail? gently caress off, the American healthcare system can afford that if it’s the cost of doing business, and the actual cost would obviously be much, much lower

Costs as imagined by the American public? Incalculable. So many smiles going to waste, so much human connection just gone, maybe something about schools, these are the hallmarks of the American healthcare experience and we’d be fools to throw them away

Real Mean Queen has issued a correction as of 09:45 on Nov 12, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Indoor Dying posted:

[Pestilence] I don't know I guess we'll just die

There's a joke in the show Veep where an Agriculture lobbyist says, "I know you all have concerns about corn syrup, but all these studies that we paid for say otherwise."

So the Chinese government is advising us to get all our shots and mask as needed. I am seeing more and more masks in public. None on expats, who like to act like a few months of staying in an apartment, working from home, was the equivalent of 90s Sarajevo.

Good luck getting shots tho. The public Healthcare app here in Shanghai doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm due for the moth juice soon, so I guess pay up in Hong Kong for it?

Anyway, saw this at a clinic out here and it's public_health.txt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The close correlation between community respiratory viral incidence and nosocomial infection rates suggests that selectively deploying these measures during periods of heightened community transmission could abort the plurality of nosocomial transmissions. We believe strategic use of selective prevention measures during periods of increased transmission remains warranted.

It’s the substance of idiocy with the accidents of intellect.

Speaking of accidents, the authors are liable to have a home full of them if they only engage in “strategic use of selective prevention measures during periods of increased” fertility.

There’s your analogy.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Oracle posted:

knocked my 15 year old on his rear end for a day. Really tired, fever. fine the day after that. far as we know he’s never had Covid.

Nocturtle posted:

My kids got the updated Moderna and flu shots at the same time recently and they had no reactions beyond a slightly sore arm. Not even a day of relative quiet or lower energy.
Yeah so post shot both my kids went to bed earlier than usual and passed the gently caress out. Next day my oldest is couch ridden all day, woke up later than usual and early afternoon took a 4 hour nap. Meanwhile my youngest is their usual self, bouncing off the walls like usual

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

We decided to reschedule me/wife shots so that there's a couple day gap in case we get taken out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I had to LOL at the juxtaposition of these two articles

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-12/new-covid-wave-what-to-expect-pirola/103090628
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-12/grand-princess-ship-adelaide-covid-19-gastroenteritis/103095704

Ooh I guess we found out what we could expect pretty quick there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?