Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

10/10 of the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its pretty crazy how much of a monster/genius Flamme is shown to be, just from the few flashbacks we seen so far.

I guess elves themselves are rare, not just because they have a low reproduction drive, but because the demon lord erased as many as they could in the past

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 11, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ChronoReverse posted:

Whoa that was cold.

its so amazing at least with the Fern fight, Luguar had the 'honor' of dying in battle in a mage fight. Frieren didn't even let Aura die by magic, just orders her to kill herself in such a mundane unceremonious manner

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Indiana_Krom posted:

:drat: That wasn't a fight, it was an execution.

Well her name is pretty much Aura the *Beheader*, fitting.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

As usual, what will happen was obvious to anyone paying attention from the moment Aura's gimmick was explained a couple episodes back but it's how the story told leading up to it that's interesting.

I had that part pegged but first thought it would be Fern showing up and tipping the scales. Fern suppressing her aura was talked about but it never even occurred to me that Frieren could be doing it too.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 11, 2023

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, my guess is that Aura tried her usual poo poo, Himmel intercepted her and disrupted her spell before she fully casted it, Aura realized she is outmatched and decided to get the gently caress away, using her undead army as distraction/meatshields, Frieren began blasting through them in pursuit, but her other party members weren't super into basically desecrating the corpses of human soldiers and champions just to hunt down a fleeing enemy, so Aura managed to get away and Frieren got scolding.

It's not entirely something you have to guess at. If you frame by frame the stuff at the end of the flashbacks you can see Himmel slicing Aura and knocking away her scales.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ChronoReverse posted:

As usual, what will happen was obvious to anyone paying attention from the moment Aura's gimmick was explained a couple episodes back but it's how the story told leading up to it that's interesting.

Also Frieren straight out explained she was more powerful than Aura several episodes ago but the demons just didn't believe her, lol

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The part that is interesting is that as others have pointed out: once you know Aura's gimmick and Frieren's gimmick, you realize the whole "battle" was Frieren baiting Aura into using her scales. It wasn't personal or anything to Frieren, it was just killing this particular demon in the most efficient way available. Not even going to blast Aura with anti-demon magic, just using Aura's own gimmick against her. It is also similar to how she defeated the last major demon in this journey (with what is now "ordinary attack magic"), I wonder if turning the demons own gimmicks against them is going to be a running theme.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I think Frieren also secretly likes doing that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
She spent a millennium preparing to kill demons. I thinks she earned the right to have some fun doing so.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
one of the neat things about the story is how even tho there's a high degree to which mage capabilities correlate to mana quantity, which is a linear scalar, there are a lot of other ways in which mages can be strong, such as experience, intuition, far-sight, instinct, deception, and imagination. it's rare for their fights to come down to simple big lasers pushing against each other (even when unique magics don't offer a clear gimmick by which to otherwise end it). time offers a strategic space to operate in beyond what mortals will fathom, aside from Great Mage Flamme

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern literally just owned a demon at least a century older and superior to her in almost every way, because she casted fast.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That plus hiding her total power so he'd think she would expend it too fast.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Hiding her total power protected her from Lugner going for a clean kill on his ambush and also from Lugner coordinating properly with Linie. He ditched both of his win conditions immediately because he underestimated her. The fight was over the moment Linie left.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
And I got the impression when he gave up the thought of a war of attrition or waiting for her to burn out was because her damage output was significantly higher than his ability to hold up defenses against. She would punch through his defenses and kill him way before total reserves came into play.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I got that impression too, from when he said that lol

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Hard to not make the end of the episode rock there. I was kind of hoping for really over the top music and truly insane effects, but I guess that's not the vibe of the show. I just really like that moment and I was hoping they went full show-off anime with it.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I was kinda expecting Frieren's side of the scale to slam down so hard it broke, but this resolution was good too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Indiana_Krom posted:

And I got the impression when he gave up the thought of a war of attrition or waiting for her to burn out was because her damage output was significantly higher than his ability to hold up defenses against. She would punch through his defenses and kill him way before total reserves came into play.

Yeah, Lugner dropped the idea of trying to outlast her when he realized that the disparity in casting speeds meant that Fern would eventually break his defenses and kill him. When one clean cast was instant death the fact she fired 1.X spells per every 1 defense he put up meant he would eventually run out of time and die, hence why he started casting about for a different strategy.

Then, while trying to find some way to distract Fern, Lugner got distracted and died instantly. RIP that guy.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Novasol posted:

I was kinda expecting Frieren's side of the scale to slam down so hard it broke, but this resolution was good too.

Headcanon: She intentionally ramped her mana slowly just as a flex. It was past tipped before she slammed the rest down and it's not even totally clear if that was truly all of it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I wonder if the degree to which it tips determines the strength of the control hence why aura had zero chance of resisting that command.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hmmm this was a pretty good episode but didn't have Fern horking down a burger so 7/10

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

so beings Fern's journey to find the spell to summon cheeseburgers at will

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder if actively suppressing your mana output counts as doing magical "work" and counts towards practice and development, because that would mean that Frieren and Fern were pretty much permanently doing a low impact magic workout. They'd be the equivalent of bodybuilders who develop insane core strength via constant reps but don't look yoked

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It's like holding in your poop for a thousand years.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder if actively suppressing your mana output counts as doing magical "work" and counts towards practice and development, because that would mean that Frieren and Fern were pretty much permanently doing a low impact magic workout. They'd be the equivalent of bodybuilders who develop insane core strength via constant reps but don't look yoked

Frieren did say early on that suppressing her mana was tiring, so it's a "workout" on some level. Considering she's not buff as hell and seems to get tired at a regular rate, I'm guessing then it's most likely a magical workout.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the view of suppressing your mana is a disgrace to mages. especially to demons, but can still be applied to regular mages.

Cause as Frieren says, she loves magic. So its a shame that she can't show it.
The lowkey hint that the Priest in the hero party is pretty good. Frieren's surpressed mana still looks pretty good, and he says its a quarter of his regular mana.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I hope Fern learns from Lugner's comment and decides to slowly suppress her mana more and more over the course of a fight, so it appears she's running out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Conversely, I want Fern to unleash everything to go even further beyond as her eyebrows inexplicably vanish

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'll say it. I don't like Ferns dress. It needs a belt or something because she looks like she's just walking around in her pajamas. Like she's showing up at the Burger King still in her nightgown at 2 in the afternoon.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Thats just your standard grumpy wizard vibes.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah one of the perks of being a wizard is it being socially acceptable to wear pajamas at any/all times

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

galagazombie posted:

I'll say it. I don't like Ferns dress. It needs a belt or something because she looks like she's just walking around in her pajamas. Like she's showing up at the Burger King still in her nightgown at 2 in the afternoon.

😐

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Next you'll be saying that Orb pondering is antisocial behavior

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

galagazombie posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

galagazombie posted:

bad post!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Fernburgers, coming to a neighborhood near you.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

I've been tearing around in my loving nightgown
24/7 casting zoltraak

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Frieren did say early on that suppressing her mana was tiring, so it's a "workout" on some level. Considering she's not buff as hell and seems to get tired at a regular rate, I'm guessing then it's most likely a magical workout.

she probably also does it in her sleep which is why she always sleeps in late usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

GateOfD posted:

she probably also does it in her sleep which is why she always sleeps in late usually

Stark's job is about to get much more difficult