Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

Can you get a sweet goat like Logan has? I'm happy with my horse, but I'd make space in my stable for a goat.

Yeah, you get one later on in the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So is the main use of shiny scorpions gifting them to Elsie? And some of the pets, I guess. The game just makes such a big deal out of them and devotes an entire skill point to them; I feel like I must be missing something.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nah theyre just really good gifts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LLSix posted:

So is the main use of shiny scorpions gifting them to Elsie? And some of the pets, I guess. The game just makes such a big deal out of them and devotes an entire skill point to them; I feel like I must be missing something.

Feels like they really didn't know what to do with the skill tree across development, many of these spots were just blanked out in EA, and the final suite feels like a "drat we gotta have something here we made this whole thing for it."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khanstant posted:

Feels like they really didn't know what to do with the skill tree across development, many of these spots were just blanked out in EA, and the final suite feels like a "drat we gotta have something here we made this whole thing for it."

Don't forget each weapon type only having one bubble that's called "[Weapon] Novice" and nothing beyond, which tells me there were initially plans for further depths you could plumb on each weapon that just ended up getting scrapped as they needed to figure out what to do with the rest of the trees.

By mid/late-mid game it's usually worth it to visit Fang and have him respec your skills so you can just beeline for all the buffs that actually matter instead of stocking up on the +Skill EXP stuff you want early game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sydin posted:

Don't forget each weapon type only having one bubble that's called "[Weapon] Novice" and nothing beyond, which tells me there were initially plans for further depths you could plumb on each weapon that just ended up getting scrapped as they needed to figure out what to do with the rest of the trees.

By mid/late-mid game it's usually worth it to visit Fang and have him respec your skills so you can just beeline for all the buffs that actually matter instead of stocking up on the +Skill EXP stuff you want early game.

In the pre-september EA builds there was a 2nd ??? node behind each of the novice skills, those were completely removed. I assumed they wanted to have weapon skills but it never happened.

The reality of the situation is the developers took on more than they could handle. They went from a single platform PC release to a multi platform simultaneous release AND multiplayer. They're gonna do better next time but for now they just had to cut some things and will probably add most of them later. It's still an amazing and fun game but you cant help wonder sometimes what the original intent for some things were.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How does multiplayer work in this anyway?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

LLSix posted:

they sell for decent money in the early game too if you need a couple hundred gols extra for something

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ytlaya posted:

How does multiplayer work in this anyway?

It's a separate mode where there's no main story but you grind for progression instead basically. They could not find a way to integrate multiplayer with the story so they de-coupled it into a standalone game, which also means that for each console version they had to hand out vouchers for the eventual MP release version on those platforms.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FrickenMoron posted:

In the pre-september EA builds there was a 2nd ??? node behind each of the novice skills, those were completely removed. I assumed they wanted to have weapon skills but it never happened.

The reality of the situation is the developers took on more than they could handle. They went from a single platform PC release to a multi platform simultaneous release AND multiplayer. They're gonna do better next time but for now they just had to cut some things and will probably add most of them later. It's still an amazing and fun game but you cant help wonder sometimes what the original intent for some things were.

There's also just loads of different ideas and systems in the game to the point that it's not surprising some of them came out a little under-developed. It was an extremely ambitious leap from Portia and honestly it's incredible they managed to stick the landing as well as they did.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Personally I never felt it was a good idea to kludge multi-player into a game like this. Either you design the game for it from the ground up or commit to single player.

In other news, I hosed up when Unsuur reveals he's the secret admirer and hides in the closet and I accidentally picked "kiss me you fool!" instead of let's me best friends and now I got this goony goon for a boyfriend. I'm afraid if I break up with him he'll just lock himself in his closet and not come out :ohdear:

Are there any funny jealousy cutscenes?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

Personally I never felt it was a good idea to kludge multi-player into a game like this. Either you design the game for it from the ground up or commit to single player.

In other news, I hosed up when Unsuur reveals he's the secret admirer and hides in the closet and I accidentally picked "kiss me you fool!" instead of let's me best friends and now I got this goony goon for a boyfriend. I'm afraid if I break up with him he'll just lock himself in his closet and not come out :ohdear:

Are there any funny jealousy cutscenes?

Nah, both sides will get mad at you and not talk to you for a week or so, some characters can be asked to forgive and keep the relationship with the bear you can buy at the game center.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I remember one of the last social skills you could get in Portia was like "you can invite people on Play Dates at a lower friendship level" or something, so I'm personally happy that Sandrock is continuing the tradition of "why is this skill here?"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I got some endgame stuff, the power drill, chainsaw and the ninja sword, I also built the factory, and now it feels like I'm cheating :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha before I restarted I was being very careful to not build that thing despite apparently having the ability to do so now. I remember it in Portia and it also felt like cheating there lol. But it also makes sense and I look forward to it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

TurnipFritter posted:

I remember one of the last social skills you could get in Portia was like "you can invite people on Play Dates at a lower friendship level" or something, so I'm personally happy that Sandrock is continuing the tradition of "why is this skill here?"

for achievement hunting when you recklessly divorce everyone after getting their romance quest

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think the skills that really confuse me are the +exp skills that you have to unlock to unlock the rest of the tree. Why would you even have a +xp% skill? Just cut the skill and up xp by 10% if everyone unlocks it on day 1 due to it being the first skill

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Because it's split up into bonus xp for different actions. But the second point in that skill seems worse as it's like 10% chance to get double xp for the action or something? These would make more sense if it was stuff that stacked up.

Like if you're close with Venti she gives you occasional pointers on scrapping which results in getting a big xp bonus when hitting scrap piles for the day.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

Because it's split up into bonus xp for different actions. But the second point in that skill seems worse as it's like 10% chance to get double xp for the action or something? These would make more sense if it was stuff that stacked up.

Like if you're close with Venti she gives you occasional pointers on scrapping which results in getting a big xp bonus when hitting scrap piles for the day.

Nah its a chance to get double knowledge which is the xp bar for leveling up the skill itself. its separate from exp which is your character level.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
My god, Pen is just Kronk. Gotta say, they really hit it out of the park with this game. There's some weak points like the skill tree, but it's just such a smooth experience compared to Portia and as a sequel it's a huge improvement. There's so many little side quests and events too, it makes the characters really stand out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Zeron posted:

My god, Pen is just Kronk. Gotta say, they really hit it out of the park with this game. There's some weak points like the skill tree, but it's just such a smooth experience compared to Portia and as a sequel it's a huge improvement. There's so many little side quests and events too, it makes the characters really stand out.

I definitely agree. It's not perfect, and there are areas that can definitely be improved, but the game is incredibly fun. The inventory management (or lack thereof) on its own is downright amazing and makes the gameplay so much smoother.

Also, I really enjoy Venti's character. She's not around for too much of the direct story, but her arc of coming from a poor background and working her way up doing manual labor in order to help people is great. And then she meets the builder, and leaps at the chance to have everything that she's ever wanted.

(spoilers for the romance arc and general thoughts on the character)
I love that she's the one who makes the first move - she'll actually ask you directly to date her, and even propose to you (her proposition is adorable, by the way). And then when you do get married, she is apparently the best helper of all the spouses by a fairly large margin (various spouses will help with different tasks and will only do a certain number of them - Venti will do all of them and has the most points to split up). And that makes sense - she loves scrapping because it's a way to turn salvage into things to help people. And now she gets to work with this awesome person who is taking the salvage that she and her coworkers create, and turning it into bridges and signs and transportation and buildings and everything else. And she is a part of that effort now! She gets to say that she helped to do those things by keeping everything running in the background and freeing the builder to focus more on building things. And she gets to work with the builder and (presumably, though not reflected by game mechanics) learn to work the machines and maintain them and upgrade them and help out with building stuff.

And on top of all of that, she now has a home and a family and a place that she belongs. And she's right next to the salvage yard where her mentor and coworkers are. It just works out so nicely for everyone involved. Most of the other marriage candidates have their own thing going on and it feels like they're giving up some portion of their life to join the builder. For Venti it's a natural fit (and she does mention that scrappers and builders frequently get together, which makes sense).

Now, if I could only get her to stop spamming me every minute or so that she has, yet again, taken everything out the processing machines, I would be incredibly happy. I only really need her help with the dew catchers and the animals anyway (seriously, it saves SO much animation time), though I will admit that she has stopped me from leaving without grabbing the commission items from the cooker or the forge on multiple occasions.

Edit: On a completely different side note - holy poo poo does rain give you so much water. Like just an unbelievable amount of water. You're practically out there emptying the rain catchers every 2-3 in-game hours.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can turn off helper notifications in the menu where you assign them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

You can turn off helper notifications in the menu where you assign them.

Thank you so much. There's a lot of UI elements that are poorly explained.

Is there a way to have running be the default and hold shift to walk? I've found that you can use shift to toggle run/walk

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

quote:

. I only really need her help with the dew catchers and the animals anyway (seriously, it saves SO much animation time)

If you're on a mount there's no animation harvesting dew, I can collect from my 10 in like 3 seconds. Only reason I have that many tho is uhh rain

Sloober fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 11, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I just realized you can be in multiple relationships at the same time :magical: holy poo poo I know what I need to do.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I just realized you can be in multiple relationships at the same time :magical: holy poo poo I know what I need to do.

You can't marry them all, alas. (At least right now. I am sure the polycule mods are already being worked on.)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you get the recipes for the iron tools? I’m in the second month and still on bronze.

Same question for weapon recipes. I only see stone tier weapon recipes and Cooper keeps asking me for bronze daggers (as a wanted gift which usually means he won’t like them as a normal gift).

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Do you have a forging station? I think you need one to craft any weapon better than stone ones.
And the iron tools require the intermediate worktable.

You might also have to buy the recipes from the commerce guild store, I can't remember.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

They definitely learned from Portia - shame they abandoned that game but some of the improvements are probably so fundamental that it'd be a huge pain/cost to retrofit Portia with them.

They also have like 10 cities on the map and the general game play loop and story can rinse and repeat quite well so I hope they continue to pump these out every few years

Megazver posted:

You can't marry them all, alas. (At least right now. I am sure the polycule mods are already being worked on.)

These games always have that, for those who are inclined to turn their new communities into cults with 20 people jammed into their 1 bedroom house.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
All I could wish for at this point is the emergent behavior you used to see in the Sims where characters would get in these jealousy slap fights because they all want to play skee ball at the players house with them at 6am.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Panfilo posted:

All I could wish for at this point is the emergent behavior you used to see in the Sims where characters would get in these jealousy slap fights because they all want to play skee ball at the players house with them at 6am.

Now that my builder's relationships with the townsfolk are getting higher, I frequently see 5-6 NPCs in the morning all wanting to hang out. It's hilarious, because morning is when I am the busiest, setting all the machines to run, refilling the generators, etc. etc. If they swung by at like 10am, then there'd probably be a lot more time available.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Also you get a lot of quests whose start will trigger as soon as you first step outside that day and it's funny when you can see other people in the background wanting to hang out.

I'm impressed there's not more conflicts with quests and people needing to be in x location or whatever.

Shonash bridge finished in the middle of a big sandstorm and I couldn't remember if that was a scripted part of the event lol.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dirk the Average posted:

Now that my builder's relationships with the townsfolk are getting higher, I frequently see 5-6 NPCs in the morning all wanting to hang out. It's hilarious, because morning is when I am the busiest, setting all the machines to run, refilling the generators, etc. etc. If they swung by at like 10am, then there'd probably be a lot more time available.

yeah every morning there's a crowd pf villagers now and I'm like "guys I love you but can it wait 'til the afternoon, I have mail to read"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It's actually pretty nice when you run to your commission board and it turns out two or three of people who want stuff are standing right there. Really saves you time

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Panfilo posted:

Also you get a lot of quests whose start will trigger as soon as you first step outside that day and it's funny when you can see other people in the background wanting to hang out.

I appreciated having someone talk to me about something illegal we did with 2 of the town cops and the town water-cop right behind her.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
The quests are so funny. Town is just chock full of goony misfits.

Unsuur is getting progressively more hilarious with his deadpan delivery. Man really loves his rocks. Also that move of his really cut down on his commute to work!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

The quests are so funny. Town is just chock full of goony misfits.

Unsuur is getting progressively more hilarious with his deadpan delivery. Man really loves his rocks. Also that move of his really cut down on his commute to work!

People on the discord love posting their husbands/wifes and he's definitely a cool guy. Logan&Fang are the most popular with the ladies by a mile, followed by Owen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Wait, you can have a baby? What the heck

I just realized that I'm an idiot and, for some reason, thought that the second tier pickaxe/axe required the upgraded Workbench. I spent a long time confused about how I was supposed to upgrade the workbench using materials that require the upgraded pickaxe/axe (and the fact that you needed said upgraded tools to salvage this stage for this main quest I'm on).

Just got enough money again to buy the two thingies I need for the upgraded axes (I think you have to buy it at least - I've never come across them elsewhere and can't find a way to create them). Also not too long until I can get the skill that lets me do two commissions at once, which should increase my money significantly (which is good because I really need to expand my house area, since it can barely fit all my various machines and doodads).

Edit: What do I do with these tokens I just got from completing one of Yan's commissions (which had a gold page and was the most involved one I've done yet)? I notice you also get them for being one of the top workshops each month/season apparently. Completing that commission also made me shoot up from 5th place to 3rd place.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 12, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can buy furniture and recipes with them at the commerce guild. Save em for some of the better guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Just got enough money again to buy the two thingies I need for the upgraded axes (I think you have to buy it at least - I've never come across them elsewhere and can't find a way to create them).

I think I found a sharpening stone in one of the hazardous ruins but the drop rate seems really low.