Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm not super great at keeping up with pbp games but I'd love to observe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry if this isn't the thread for it, but does anyone have a suggestion for a newer fantasy book that's a fun read for setting and lore even if you dont get a chance to play it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sorry if this isn't the thread for it, but does anyone have a suggestion for a newer fantasy book that's a fun read for setting and lore even if you dont get a chance to play it?

Wildsea for sure.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Subjunctive posted:

Wildsea for sure.

Second that! The setting and fluff is very good. It's also a gorgeous book.

The same goes for Hard Wired Island and the Avatar game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Subjunctive posted:

Wildsea for sure.

And it's not even close.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CitizenKeen posted:

And it's not even close.

I hope to someday in my life produce something as wonderful as that book.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any new good android/Apple app versions of board games out I'm going through withdrawals.
I haven't played a board game in half a year

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Upsidads posted:

Any new good android/Apple app versions of board games out I'm going through withdrawals.

Have you tried Slay The Spire, cause that's a good one

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh God yes I have, looking for something multiplayer for my far off pals. Wingspan worked pretty well

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Upsidads posted:

Oh God yes I have, looking for something multiplayer for my far off pals. Wingspan worked pretty well

Spire With Friends mod lmao, you can play cooperatively or even have a race to the top.

In the vein of Wingspan, I guess there's also a good Steam (or browser) port for Dominion, too, if you haven't sank hundreds of hours into it already.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
No idea how's MP but Galaxy Trucker should be a good pick too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Azran posted:

No idea how's MP but Galaxy Trucker should be a good pick too.

It's pretty decent we played the hell out of it many years ago on the app

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Upsidads posted:

New ones? Newest one I saw was Paperback Adventures, which is like Slay The Spire with words. (I did not get very far with it, all it did was make me try Slay The Spire again). I'm going to assume you know the existing good ones (Through the Ages, Root, etc).

Maybe instead of an app, maybe try BoardGameArena? It's not terrific on my phone, but is probably fine on a tablet. It's got a subscription model, but you can play a fair bit for free.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Twilight Struggle? Only for 2 and it's heavy but nice implementation AFAICT

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Upsidads posted:

Star Realms?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

played the hell out of it i wanna say ten years ago?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks for the suggestion, grabbing wildsea now

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Subjunctive posted:

I hope to someday in my life produce something as wonderful as that book.

What makes me so envious and frustrated is that it's his first book. He's not a veteran who drops his opus, this is first foray and he comes up with a system that's a fantastic hybrid of Blades in the Dark and Fate, in a mind-blowingly cool universe, with wonderful prose, incredible art, really solid gameable advice, just flawless. No notes. Backed the follow-up at the highest level.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I just got this on the strength of these comments and it's gorgeous but ugggh the firefly term for gm is tooth grinding. I hope it stops annoying me soon lol.

Also I'm not sure about the cutting mechanism (remove highest dice for hard rolls) mainly because it's such an unfun thing to roll well then not get to use it, but maybe it's fine in play.

E: actually reading on that's probably fine, it's used as a trickshot modifier or as a gm tool to indicate difficulty. Love counting doubles too, might use that in my blades game.

Ee: yeah this is great, so many neat ideas

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
My Monster of the Week game wrapped last night, which was the first time a campaign I was involved in ever made it to a finale. A very satisfying experience, especially since it was mostly first-time RPG players.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

My Monster of the Week game wrapped last night, which was the first time a campaign I was involved in ever made it to a finale. A very satisfying experience, especially since it was mostly first-time RPG players.

Sweet! It’s my go to game for new RPGers. Easy hooks, simple mechanics.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm getting pretty big RAHOWA vibes from this. A web search has left it unclear if that's intentionally or just my specific type of internet brain poisoning.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Magnetic North posted:

I'm getting pretty big RAHOWA vibes from this. A web search has left it unclear if that's intentionally or just my specific type of internet brain poisoning.
Varg is a Nazi and convicted murderer and MYFAROG is his boring original system for playing dumbass Nazi adventures in a thud and blunder environment, so there you go.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

MYFAROG is an infamously racist TRPG setting by a former black metal mysician who was convicted of murder and setting fire to churches, yes.

E: Also lol it's a rulebook for cooking skills instead of an actual cookbook

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

You know, I'm gonna say it: there are too many trad games nazis to keep track of.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plutonis posted:

This is the funniest post on the forum now. Wtaf

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Magnetic North posted:

You know, I'm gonna say it: there are too many trad games nazis to keep track of.

Man, this is so true. It’s even more difficult than lol the TSRs.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I tried googling it and it auto corrected to my frog and I got to see some frogs. I don't see what the problem is.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Almost want to make a whole RPG about frog raising just called MYFROG but honestly that's too much interaction with a nazi for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CitizenKeen posted:

Backed the follow-up at the highest level.

There was a follow-up? drat.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Subjunctive posted:

There was a follow-up? drat.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stormandroot/the-wildsea-storm-and-root/description

Airships and submarines (of the undercanopy).

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Plutonis posted:

That tracks. From what I remember of a preview or review I once saw, it takes three separate rolls in its example of successfully fording a river. Not even any interesting losing-supplies mechanic for a crunchy-but-not-intolerable hexcrawling thing, just pointless roll after pointless roll for a binary result.

Also, he's very upset over circumcision.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

LashLightning posted:

Also, he's very upset over circumcision.

Stopped clocks etc etc

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047190

If anyone wants to do the Digimon game, here is the ad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Finishing campaigns is the poo poo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've finished like two campaigns in my life and one of them was a doozy of a campaign.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Finishing campaigns is the poo poo.

my pcs are tantalizing close to finishing LMoP (5e) and im so proud

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have finished a bunch, but my biggest was eyes of the stone thief which took like four years, goddam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hell yeah. Monster of the Week is one of the few games I've played in (rather than GM'd) where the campaign truly finished, holds a special place in my heart.