Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
We have to wait another... week or two? I think to get the kid vaxxed. She went covid (mask off to owned in 12 hours)-> reinfection/latent infection @ 6 weeks -> covid + mono, and now after 6 weeks of that is finally mostly better and now we just have to deal with the insane amount of missed school.

Kids don't get sick in schools, so obviously this has all been a fever dream from the moth juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

went for MRI on Friday and the hospital system has already rescinded the mask policy that they reinstated 2 months ago

the liquor store has also removed the "no masks" sign that was up last week

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
~I'm dreaming of a blithe Christmas
Not like the ones I used to know
Where the family won't distance
and masks cause resistance
To be gaslit, hmmm maybe I just won't go~

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Buffer posted:

We have to wait another... week or two? I think to get the kid vaxxed. She went covid (mask off to owned in 12 hours)-> reinfection/latent infection @ 6 weeks -> covid + mono, and now after 6 weeks of that is finally mostly better and now we just have to deal with the insane amount of missed school.

Kids don't get sick in schools, so obviously this has all been a fever dream from the moth juice.

I am so sorry you all are having to deal with this.

Griz posted:

went for MRI on Friday and the hospital system has already rescinded the mask policy that they reinstated 2 months ago

the liquor store has also removed the "no masks" sign that was up last week

something something, god closes a door, opens a window????

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
My sister just uploaded a picture from brunch where her brother in law and her 3 year old are coughing into their elbows, and it's captioned "practicing the polite cough."

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Still no moth juice available in Canada - Health Canada still hasn't approved the updated version for use :rolleyes:

Got a Pfizer shot scheduled for Tuesday; it's been 10 months since my last dose. Still debating whether I should go or wait until the moth juice finally gets approved / distributed.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm moving apartments and just discovered while packing that I apparently own an air filter and have had it stashed away in a cupboard this entire pandemic :negative:

It will probably not be a very good one, but it's essentially free courtesy of my past self, so I'll take it!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HazCat posted:

I'm moving apartments and just discovered while packing that I apparently own an air filter and have had it stashed away in a cupboard this entire pandemic :negative:

It will probably not be a very good one, but it's essentially free courtesy of my past self, so I'll take it!

friend threw a birthday party in 2021 where we went mask off but everyone tested at the door

she had several air purifiers that she’d been using the past year but when I popped one open I found that the factory plastic was still on the filter

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Okuteru posted:

There's a joke in the show Veep where an Agriculture lobbyist says, "I know you all have concerns about corn syrup, but all these studies that we paid for say otherwise."

So the Chinese government is advising us to get all our shots and mask as needed. I am seeing more and more masks in public. None on expats, who like to act like a few months of staying in an apartment, working from home, was the equivalent of 90s Sarajevo.

Good luck getting shots tho. The public Healthcare app here in Shanghai doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm due for the moth juice soon, so I guess pay up in Hong Kong for it?

Anyway, saw this at a clinic out here and it's public_health.txt

Sigh. That's more or less what I feared... also I guess these two posts belong together...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My data guy on Twitter finally pieced together the updated graph for covid hospital admissions, if anyone wanted an indication of how things are progressing in Australia

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1723573890080006242#m

Line goes UP

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My data guy on Twitter finally pieced together the updated graph for covid hospital admissions, if anyone wanted an indication of how things are progressing in Australia

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1723573890080006242#m

Line goes UP

But where are the deaths?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
No one could have etc. etc. (unfortunately the graphics are hosed up, so I'll just note what the highlighted line is above each graphic)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/upshot/long-covid-disability.html posted:

Can’t Think, Can’t Remember: More Americans Say They’re in a Cognitive Fog
Adults in their 20s, 30s and 40s are driving the trend. Researchers point to long Covid as a major cause.

There are more Americans who say they have serious cognitive problems — with remembering, concentrating or making decisions — than at any time in the last 15 years, data from the Census Bureau shows.

The increase started with the pandemic: The number of working-age adults reporting “serious difficulty” thinking has climbed by an estimated one million people.

About as many adults ages 18 to 64 now report severe cognitive issues as report trouble walking or taking the stairs, for the first time since the bureau started asking the questions each month in the 2000s.

[ed. "Remembering, concentrating or making decisions"]

And younger adults are driving the trend.

[ed. "Ages 18 to 44"]

The sharp increase captures the effects of long Covid for a small but significant portion of younger adults, researchers say, most likely in addition to other effects of the pandemic, including psychological distress. But they also say it’s not yet possible to fully dissect all the reasons behind the increase.

Richard Deitz, an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, analyzed the data and attributed much of the increase to long Covid. “These numbers don’t do this — they don’t just start suddenly increasing sharply like this,” he said.

In its monthly Current Population Survey, the census asks a sample of Americans whether they have serious problems with their memory and concentration. It defines them as disabled if they answer yes to that question or one of five others about limitations on their daily activities. The questions are unrelated to disability applications, so respondents don’t have a financial incentive to answer one way or another.

At the start of 2020, the survey estimated there were fewer than 15 million Americans ages 18 to 64 with any kind of disability. That rose to about 16.5 million by September 2023.

Nearly two-thirds of that increase was made up of people who had newly reported limitations on their thinking
. There were also increases in census estimates of the number of adults with a vision disability or serious difficulty doing basic errands. For older working-age Americans, the pandemic ended a yearslong decline in reported rates of disability.

The rise in cognitive issues aligns with a common symptom that plagues many Covid long-haulers: “brain fog.”
(..)
“It’s not just fog, it’s a brain injury, basically,” said Dr. Monica Verduzco-Gutierrez, chair of rehabilitation medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. “There are neurovascular changes. There’s inflammation. There are changes on M.R.I.s.”

Why the changes in reported cognitive impairment appear more common for younger adults is not clear. But older adults are more likely to have had some age-related cognitive decline pre-Covid, said Dr. James C. Jackson, a neuropsychologist at Vanderbilt Medical Center. Cognitive changes “stand out far more” for younger cohorts, he said.

And long Covid often presents differently in younger and older adults, said Dr. Gabriel de Erausquin, a professor of neurology at U.T. Health San Antonio. In his research, he has found that older adults with long-Covid-related cognition deficits have more issues linked to memory. But younger adults are more likely to experience difficulty with attention and concentration and, in some cases, fatigue or pain so severe their thinking is affected.
(..)
But the number of working-age Americans with a disability who are employed has increased by an estimated 1.5 million people, census data show.

[ed. "Employed"]

[ed. the highlights below mark the alternative explanations on offer]

The tight labor market and flexibility of remote work during the pandemic have made it easier for people who had disabilities pre-Covid to get jobs. It’s also likely that more workers became newly disabled, by the census definition, and held onto their jobs.

That could help explain what has been so far only a relatively subtle increase in Social Security disability applications.

Long Covid is probably not the only factor driving the increase in disability, experts say.

The reported rate of cognitive disability for younger adults in the census data had been increasing slowly for years prepandemic. Experts on disability data suggest that, among many factors likely responsible for the increase, rising A.D.H.D. and autism diagnoses in children could have led more people to recognize and report their cognitive difficulties.

Then, during the pandemic, Americans spent more time alone, reported higher rates of depression and were prescribed more psychiatric medications.

“The pandemic changed the world,” Dr. Jackson said. “I do think the sum total of the mental health challenges people are having impacts cognitive function.”

Younger adults appeared to experience significantly more psychological distress than older adults, and poor mental health has been linked to cognitive issues. Polling from Gallup found that depression rates for different age groups, which were relatively similar prepandemic, shot up for adults under 45 during the pandemic, while remaining flat for older adults.
(..)
The stressors of the pandemic could have worsened existing conditions such as A.D.H.D., said Dr. Margaret Sibley, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the University of Washington.

“If that person’s under extreme duress or strain, those symptoms might be temporarily exacerbated,” she said.

Because the census relies entirely on self-reporting, experts say the data could also be capturing a shift in how people perceive their cognition, even absent changes to their health.

People with disabilities might have taken note of rising disability acceptance and become more likely to answer the census questions honestly, researchers say [:thunk:]. Some young people may have been influenced by what disability researchers describe as increased awareness and acceptance of neurodiversity during the pandemic, as videos about mental illness and developmental disorders proliferated online, often encouraging people to self-diagnose. There was also an increase in advertisements for A.D.H.D. medication, Dr. Sibley said.

“Everyone was saying, ‘I’m getting this messaging online,’” she said. “The subjective experience of people receiving them was they could make anyone believe they had A.D.H.D.” [ed. very cool implicitly stating that they are faking it :thumbsup:]

But those changes in perception are likely to have a relatively small influence on the numbers, said Monika Mitra, who directs the Lurie Institute for Disability Policy at Brandeis University. Most of the increase is probably capturing real changes in people’s health, she said.

“We need to take this very seriously as a society,” she said. “We need to understand who these people are, how they’re being impacted and what we can do about it.”

Archived link: https://archive.li/lcqEK

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
On that note:
"Cognitive decline in older adults in the UK during and after the COVID-19 pandemic: a longitudinal analysis of PROTECT study data"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhl/article/PIIS2666-7568(23)00187-3/fulltext posted:

Summary

Background
Although the long-term health effects of COVID-19 are increasingly recognised, the societal restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic hold the potential for considerable detriment to cognitive and mental health, particularly because major dementia risk factors—such as those related to exercise and dietary habits—were affected during this period. We used longitudinal data from the PROTECT study to evaluate the effect of the pandemic on cognition in older adults in the UK.

Methods
For this longitudinal analysis, we used computerised neuropsychology data from individuals aged 50 years and older participating in the PROTECT study in the UK. Data were collected from the same participants before the COVID-19 pandemic (March 1, 2019–Feb 29, 2020) and during its first (March 1, 2020–Feb 28, 2021) and second (March 1, 2021–Feb 28, 2022) years. We compared cognition across the three time periods using a linear mixed-effects model. Subgroup analyses were conducted in people with mild cognitive impairment and in people who reported a history of COVID-19, and an exploratory regression analysis identified factors associated with changes in cognitive trajectory.

Findings
Pre-pandemic data were included for 3142 participants, of whom 1696 (54·0%) were women and 1446 (46·0%) were men, with a mean age of 67·5 years (SD 9·6, range 50–96). Significant worsening of executive function and working memory was observed in the first year of the pandemic across the whole cohort (effect size 0·15 [95% CI 0·12–0·17] for executive function and 0·51 [0·49–0·53] for working memory), in people with mild cognitive impairment (0·13 [0·07–0·20] and 0·40 [0·36–0·47]), and in people with a history of COVID-19 (0·24 [0·16–0·31] and 0·46 [0·39–0·53]). Worsening of working memory was sustained across the whole cohort in the second year of the pandemic (0·47; 0·44–0·49). Regression analysis indicated that cognitive decline was significantly associated with reduced exercise (p=0·0049; executive function) and increased alcohol use (p=0·049; working memory) across the whole cohort, as well as depression (p=0·011; working memory) in those with a history of COVID-19 and loneliness (p=0·0038; working memory) in those with mild cognitive impairment. In the second year of the pandemic, reduced exercise continued to affect executive function across the whole cohort, and associations were sustained between worsening working memory and increased alcohol use (p=0·0040), loneliness (p=0·042), and depression (p=0·014) in those with mild cognitive impairment, and reduced exercise (p=0·0029), loneliness (p=0·031) and depression (p=0·036) in those with a history of COVID-19.

Interpretation
The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a significant worsening of cognition in older adults, associated with changes in known dementia risk factors. The sustained decline in cognition highlights the need for public health interventions to mitigate the risk of dementia—particularly in people with mild cognitive impairment, in whom conversion to dementia within 5 years is a substantial risk. Long-term intervention for people with a history of COVID-19 should be considered to support cognitive health.
(..)

(..)

(..)

Notice how clearly COVID is loving up people on that second graph, consider the lackluster testing and then read the cope:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/nov/01/pandemic-had-lasting-impact-on-brain-health-of-people-aged-50-or-over posted:

Covid pandemic ‘had lasting impact’ on brain health of people aged 50 or over
UK study finds cognitive function and working memory in older adults declined even if they were not infected with virus
(..)
The research is the largest of its kind to link the pandemic conditions – and the enormous lifestyle shifts triggered by lockdowns and other Covid restrictions – to sustained cognitive decline.

The acceleration in cognitive decline has been exacerbated by a number of factors since the arrival of Covid, the researchers said. These included an increase in loneliness and depression, a fall in exercise and higher alcohol consumption, as well as the effects of the disease itself. The study, led by the University of Exeter and King’s College London, was published in the Lancet Healthy Longevity journal.

Anne Corbett, a professor in dementia research and the lead at Exeter for the Protect study, said: “Our findings suggest that lockdowns and other restrictions we experienced during the pandemic have had a real lasting impact on brain health in people aged 50 or over, even after the lockdowns ended.

“This raises the important question of whether people are at a potentially higher risk of cognitive decline, which can lead to dementia.

“It is now more important than ever to make sure we are supporting people with early cognitive decline, especially because there are things they can do to reduce their risk of dementia later on.” She advised people concerned about their memory to see their GP.

“Our findings also highlight the need for policymakers to consider the wider health impacts of restrictions like lockdowns when planning for a future pandemic response,” she added.
(..)
Writing in the Lancet Healthy Longevity journal, the researchers said: “We found that people aged 50 years and older in the UK had accelerated decline in executive function and working memory during the first year of the Covid-19 pandemic, during which the UK was subjected to three societal lockdowns for a total period of six months.

“Notably, however, this worsening in working memory persisted in the second year of the pandemic, after the social restrictions had eased
. The scale of change is also of note, with all groups – the whole cohort and the individual subgroups – showing more than a 50% greater decline in working memory and executive function.”
(..)
“The new findings from the Protect study indicate domain-specific cognitive changes for individuals with a history of Covid-19 that mirrored similar trajectories for those with mild cognitive impairment but with a slightly lower rate of decline,” said Cadar in a linked comment in the Lancet Healthy Longevity journal.

“This study also highlights reduced exercise, alcohol use, depression, and loneliness as key risk factors that affected the rates of cognitive decline in the older population during the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Yes the other items on the list can be a contributing factor, but according to your data getting COVID is clearly worse! So shut the gently caress up about this being due to lockdowns that reduced the amount of people getting COVID.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Overly technical (macaque) study, but note the bolded line...
"SARS-CoV-2 viral persistence in lung alveolar macrophages is controlled by IFN-γ and NK cells"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-023-01661-4 posted:

Abstract
Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) RNA generally becomes undetectable in upper airways after a few days or weeks postinfection. Here we used a model of viral infection in macaques to address whether SARS-CoV-2 persists in the body and which mechanisms regulate its persistence. Replication-competent virus was detected in bronchioalveolar lavage (BAL) macrophages beyond 6 months postinfection. Viral propagation in BAL macrophages occurred from cell to cell and was inhibited by interferon-γ (IFN-γ). IFN-γ production was strongest in BAL NKG2r+CD8+ T cells and NKG2Alo natural killer (NK) cells and was further increased in NKG2Alo NK cells after spike protein stimulation. However, IFN-γ production was impaired in NK cells from macaques with persisting virus. Moreover, IFN-γ also enhanced the expression of major histocompatibility complex (MHC)-E on BAL macrophages, possibly inhibiting NK cell-mediated killing. Macaques with less persisting virus mounted adaptive NK cells that escaped the MHC-E-dependent inhibition. Our findings reveal an interplay between NK cells and macrophages that regulated SARS-CoV-2 persistence in macrophages and was mediated by IFN-γ.

It should be noted that the team behind the research specifies that their very high infections dosing, probably had an impact on prevalence.

Twitter thread on the results:
https://nitter.net/microbeminded2/status/1720484535136116990#m

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
wow thanks for looking into the insanity for us on these ones pingui

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lockdowns really hosed up people who sit in their house watching tv all day ok

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
all this brain fog is obviously caused by unproductive ennui from people who quit their jobs 3 years ago on the $600 handouts and never went back, they just need to be forced back to work and they'll be fine

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

lockdowns really hosed up people who sit in their house watching tv all day ok

I did enjoy the fact that "preppers" were like the first group to start complaining about restaurants being closed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

all this brain fog is obviously caused by unproductive ennui from people who quit their jobs 3 years ago on the $600 handouts and never went back, they just need to be forced back to work and they'll be fine

hey when you say it out loud like that it sounds dumb as gently caress!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Getting my Novavax right now

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Getting my Novavax right now

mothspeed

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"You know it's not the Moderna or Pfizer right?"

"That's what I'm counting on!"

Went for my flu shot too, why the hell not

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Ennui is out, anomie is in

Danforth
Jul 11, 2008
A continuous cycle with friends and family:

1. You've got to live your life!

2. Wait where do I get those aura masks again?

3. Where do I get pax?

4. Have you heard of Long Covid?

5. Covids over and you've got to live your life!

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Danforth posted:

3. Where do I get pax?

throw in a step for knowing someone who got hospitalized/has obv lower quality of life in the 2-4 range

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Danforth posted:

3. Where do I get pax?

pretty much everyone I know skips steps 2-4

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Am I remembering correctly that someone posted links to good battery powered air purifiers? Planning on getting BBQ with a friend coming into town and will sit outside and upwind but BBQ joints like to have those long picnic tables, so every little bit helps in my opinion.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wanted to get mothed this time but it was rear end enough finding any place that gave out vaccines so whatever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

William Munny posted:

Am I remembering correctly that someone posted links to good battery powered air purifiers? Planning on getting BBQ with a friend coming into town and will sit outside and upwind but BBQ joints like to have those long picnic tables, so every little bit helps in my opinion.

a battery powered air purifier won’t help you in this case unless it’s mounted to a hose that leads to an enclosure around your face feeding you purified air directly. something like the 3m versaflo kit.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

genericnick posted:

Wanted to get mothed this time but it was rear end enough finding any place that gave out vaccines so whatever.

Got Publix near you?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

William Munny posted:

Someone probably did for traveling, but as you are talking about being outside, you are much better of thinking and adhering to wind direction. Even a very mild wind is much more efficient (to an extreme extent), than a portable air purifier.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tuyop posted:

wow thanks for looking into the insanity for us on these ones pingui
:tipshat: - it sucks that it needs to be done.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

No Austrian flag smiley, but ehh... close enough: :australia:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

couple moth juice questions:

1. is it covered by the bridge program

2. I just got the moderna a month or so ago, safe to get the moth juice now?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol Mayo Pete back on the covid train

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
This may be a better question for a crafts- or makers- page, but:

I want to make a frame for my CR cube. I want something that is like four picture frames, attached at the edges, that filters can slide into. Like an upside-down table with slots in the legs, kind of. I want a top piece that snaps or slides on, to which the fan can be set-in or clamped on (so restricted to the correct position).

I can see it in my head, but there's no way I can draw it.

Is this a thing that exists, for which I can just go and look at plans?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol Mayo Pete back on the covid train

lol did he give it to Zelensky or is this Zelensky's revenge for them sending Pete

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
have you ever built anything in your life or is this the first thing you're attempting? in order to get a good seal this is going to be somewhat complex.

I just seal it all up with gaff tape.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Is this a thing that exists, for which I can just go and look at plans?

I know what you're envisioning, but it's gonna be complex and probably expensive based on the materials involved.

cheapest way to do it would probably be however many "faces" with their perimeters built out of angleboard. You wouldn't be able to slide filters in like a magazine into a pistol but rather just tip them in like you would a filter for your furnace. and honestly at that point it's almost more work than just redoing the tape job every six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

have you ever built anything in your life

I did backstage construction stuff for high school theater 25 years ago; that's obviously not a ringing endorsement, just context that I know my way around basic power tools and that I also know the "wrong but it works" way to do stuff, which is the angle I'm trying to avoid coming from.

I can't weld, so if I use aluminum it's going to be JB-Weld and silicone caulk. Really, anything is going to be JB-Weld and caulk, if I'm left on my own with this.

I'm trying to avoid tape because I want something that will store better than my current 20x25, which takes up a whole drat closet, and is fast and idiot-proof to assemble when, like, the in-laws unexpectedly drop in.