Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Imagine still being mad about this three years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Second time someone's bought me an av in only a few months. Bawfuls isn't the only one with a secret admirer. ;-*

this is a VERY specific joke but good lord do I love this av/text

Dinosaurs! posted:

They got it all screwed up.

lol

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 11, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bob sez Espada will be named manager of the Astros on Monday

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Not hosed up if true

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1723551998023254505?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Also saw on the wire that there are some rumors he's a dark horse candidate for the Padres opening.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Probably awkward to try to explain to him "we want you to be bench coach for a few months until we inevitably fire your buddy, then you can have his job"

e: I dunno why Ross would be regarded as a "dark horse" for any opening. He had a pretty successful season with the Cubs before being axed in favor of the hot manager du jour. Ross is probably the #1 manager on the market from the perspective of most owners/GMs right now

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1723551998023254505?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Also saw on the wire that there are some rumors he's a dark horse candidate for the Padres opening.

The Padres' MO is to interview people till they find their guy so Ross has to be the favorite just because he interviewed last.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

From reading SAS I assume that Ross is a nice guy but terrible bullpen and general on-field manager, yet everything I've heard from regular baseball media since he got fired is that he's a good manager

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Espada is officially Astros next manager. Conference tomorrow to announce it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Completely expected. I'm totally fine with that.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

From reading SAS I assume that Ross is a nice guy but terrible bullpen and general on-field manager, yet everything I've heard from regular baseball media since he got fired is that he's a good manager

Always believe Cubs Posting over the media

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

He is by all accounts really good at the behind the scenes stuff of managing guys in the clubhouse, setting a strong culture, etc. His only real two major issues are that he's a circles of trust guy which makes him slow to incorporate new players (particularly rookies) and causes him to overwork the parts of the roster he wants to lean on, and that he is just kinda bad at in-game tactical decisions regarding pitching. He feels much more like a strategy guy who sets out a plan pre-game of how the pitchers are going to be used and is really bad at adjusting on the fly when best laid plans go awry. The circle of trust thing also kinda compounds this issue because if he's decided you're one of his trusted pen guys he will grind your arm to loving dust until you're a shell of yourself or on the IL.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sydin posted:

He is by all accounts really good at the behind the scenes stuff of managing guys in the clubhouse, setting a strong culture, etc. His only real two major issues are that he's a circles of trust guy which makes him slow to incorporate new players (particularly rookies) and causes him to overwork the parts of the roster he wants to lean on, and that he is just kinda bad at in-game tactical decisions regarding pitching. He feels much more like a strategy guy who sets out a plan pre-game of how the pitchers are going to be used and is really bad at adjusting on the fly when best laid plans go awry. The circle of trust thing also kinda compounds this issue because if he's decided you're one of his trusted pen guys he will grind your arm to loving dust until you're a shell of yourself or on the IL.

Joe Torre 2.0 welcome to the Yankees

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

I would say he managed the Cubs through a few seasons of outperforming expectations, and is generally a nice guy, especially to the media. So that’s the story they’re going with. Also he’s a former backup catcher, and white, and just looks and talks like an old school manager.

The bullpen piece was largely roster construction. He leaned on Cuas way too much in high leverage and asked his flavor of the month (Fulmer, Merryweather, Leiter Jr.) to go too often. But he really didn’t have many options. Alzolay was the only one I felt good about but then again he got hurt so maybe he couldn’t push him any more.

The inexcusable part in my opinion was playing the crusty vets too much. But who knows if that was him or Jed. Nothing else about in-game strategy really stood out to me. I did like that he let Nico run wild.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I thought Ross was fine he's definitely someone I'd want over Phil Nevin. He didn't play rookies as much as he probably should have but it's hard to tell if that is a managerial or FO directive. The Cubs bullpen was kind of a disaster this year so I can't really fault Ross for sticking with the few guys who were generally reliable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I thought Ross was fine he's definitely someone I'd want over Phil Nevin. He didn't play rookies as much as he probably should have but it's hard to tell if that is a managerial or FO directive. The Cubs bullpen was kind of a disaster this year so I can't really fault Ross for sticking with the few guys who were generally reliable.

His complete and utter refusal to use Little in September even as the pen was burning down around him was a comically bad unforced error.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Im glad Espada got the job

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrMidnight posted:

Espada is officially Astros next manager. Conference tomorrow to announce it

Wow, Nightengale was right

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Wow, Nightengale was right

Broken clock etc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm noting that we're all fine with this so I don't want to hear any "i always hated that guy" poo poo in two years when we get mad about a lineup

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

I'm noting that we're all fine with this so I don't want to hear any "i always hated that guy" poo poo in two years when we get mad about a lineup

Its only a matter of time before he does something weird. The amount of times Bochy penciled in the worst hitter in the lineup in the 3 spot was maddening.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
happy Ohtani day to all who celebrate!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mets/status/1724110173201924321?s=46

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I need that gif

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffAgrest/status/1724085947250184473

lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ohtani to Cubs confirmed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is still weird

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crounsell

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

maffew buildings posted:

happy Ohtani day to all who celebrate!

I'm breathing normally and totally calm

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Oh boy we all get to sit through a ring ceremony

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Should be Cubs @ Brewers series opener so Craig can make his triumphant Cubs debut with a sweep

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1724135685148262422

Classic Padres. "Qualification number one: Do you already live in San Diego?"

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 13, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1724140097941930433

Bring back Gibby too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big day for middle aged men posing in baseball jerseys

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1724142075971588414

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Eric Young Sr. is following Ron Washington to the Angels.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

live with fruit posted:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1724135685148262422

Classic Padres. "Qualification number one: Do you already live in San Diego?"

100 miles north of San Diego is a funny way of saying Orange County

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Angels Stadium is 93 miles north of Petco, and almost certainly closer to Dodgers stadium than Petco lol

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 13, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

elentar posted:

Eric Young Sr. is following Ron Washington to the Angels.

I won't watch an Angels game all year, so good. I'm glad I don't have to see Eric Young anymore. I watched him play for years when his primary skill was being blazing fast. Watching him waddle around with his big gray beard and a bigger gut than mine makes me feel extremely loving old and I don't like it

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Espada was a great pick and got us our next ring, what a great hire!

Espada is dogshit garbage.

In two years I'll quote this post and edit out whichever isn't relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I predict the Astros will win 90-105 games depending on SP performance, as well as appear in (and possibly win) the ALCS.