Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

I started a vet since my ogryn hit 30 and so far its not that interesting.

The knife is the best melee so far and i have no idea if guns are actually supposed to be effective against elites but they do not feel like they are. But im only like level 9 atm so we will see what happens

I am leveling a vet myself and somewhere in the 15-20 level range I started feeling like I could shoot the tougher stuff effectively. But I also was making all my gear legendary and maxing out the perks since I have the plasteel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I wouldn't bother making anything legendary until max level but that's me.

I've suffered from inventory hoarding my entire life though in games, thinking I gotta save those mats for when I really need them after all lol

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I guess it's just a personal hate I harbor for the knife or something but why do so many people like it? Far more effort to handle a horde than almost any other weapon, it does find killing hard targets but on Vet especially that's what your gun is for.

It's fun being fast I guess but you can just do that with a Chainsword and Rev It Up and be twice as effective for half the effort??? Idgi

Like on Zealot I can see the merit, but Vet just does not need or want a knife generally.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Demilich posted:

I wouldn't bother making anything legendary until max level but that's me.

I've suffered from inventory hoarding my entire life though in games, thinking I gotta save those mats for when I really need them after all lol

My theory was it'll speed my levelling to have higher mission success rate letting me farm Damnation faster, no idea if it's true :v:

edit: plus I think I have like 20K plasteel

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

I have this laspistol on my shout man and can confirm its a blast to use. Only the quick draw revolver tops it in, "kill that now" quickness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

The knife is the best melee so far and i have no idea if guns are actually supposed to be effective against elites but they do not feel like they are. But im only like level 9 atm so we will see what happens

Vets fill a really weird niche. I kept trying to make big-shot sniper special deleter and you can do that but it takes a lot of very specific choices. Early in their tree they feel diet Zealot.

Once you get things like the Plasma unlocked you can do a lot of interesting things with the Vet. If the Zealot is the backbone of the team that reactively gets the team out of bad situations, the Vet proactively tries to manage situations before they escalate that far. IMHO they have a lot of role overlap with the Psyker in that way, they effortlessly thin groups of Ogryn and keep distant shooters under control. You can build them as more mixed melee/ranged or exclusively focus on ranged deletion. Just, don't expect an autogun and the default F to do much against specials, that'll take a while to get there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got an orange braced graia autogun. Hold RMB and just hose down hordes

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mendrian posted:

Vets fill a really weird niche. I kept trying to make big-shot sniper special deleter and you can do that but it takes a lot of very specific choices. Early in their tree they feel diet Zealot.

Once you get things like the Plasma unlocked you can do a lot of interesting things with the Vet. If the Zealot is the backbone of the team that reactively gets the team out of bad situations, the Vet proactively tries to manage situations before they escalate that far. IMHO they have a lot of role overlap with the Psyker in that way, they effortlessly thin groups of Ogryn and keep distant shooters under control. You can build them as more mixed melee/ranged or exclusively focus on ranged deletion. Just, don't expect an autogun and the default F to do much against specials, that'll take a while to get there.

Yeah I assume the class grows because ive seen people do good stuff with them. Its just surprising how underpowered it feels at the moment

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah I assume the class grows because ive seen people do good stuff with them. Its just surprising how underpowered it feels at the moment

Well the class is getting an update soon, isn't it? So hopefully it won't feel underpowered for long.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Legit Businessman posted:

Perks: +Crit and your choice of Flak/maniac/unarmored, which ever allows you to hit a break point.
Blessings: Shred and Brutal Momentum.

You want to run it the same as a knife bleed build, you just hit things harder with less clicks. So something like this:

There are two points floating for your preference.

The ironhelm hammer sucks now, and the Crucis is the one that is preferred. You probably want to turn it into a boss deleter with Thrust/Headtaker Blessings, and Unyielding/Unarmored(?) as perks. I don't really use the Thunderhammer so that's a guess as best.

That’s pretty much the build I’ve been using and IT IS AMAZING! Complete with force sword and purgatus staff and I can melt everyone. EVERYONE! The proc for brain burst on regular attacks procs a decent amount and soulfire just annihilates everything. Warp charges get to max 6 quick AF so don’t feel stingy on your special. My biggest advice is follow the Ogryn as he is your best buddy and you still have crap for health plus dance like it’s the early 00s and you are playing DDR. Super fun build and not too many around.

Made me sad about the hate for Xbox players as I am one. If this didn’t have cross play the multiplayer would be dead and less people giving fatshark money so it would be as abandoned as BFG. Taking your bits about slow turn around to heart tho and started doing a circle pattern as I sword or flame. Circle pattern is simply running a wide circle around big mobs and dodging and slashing the outside working in. Seems to help avoid getting mobs behind me. Also being aware of any possible obstacles I might use to make choke points to flame/slash. I really am trying to not suck. Promise there are peoples out there that actually try.

So did my first high level fights and… not bad. Effin hate quick shooting snipers and surprise boomers tho. Only so much I can do when a sniper kills half my team while I’m occupied or boomers instantly explode out of a door. Also why the gently caress is a level 6 psyker trying to join damnation games? Repeatedly. Can’t be fun rushing ahead, dying then waiting 10 minutes for us to rescue him only to rush off and die again instantly. Got a few purples and an orange auto gun from it tho not doing that until I can communicate to at least 3/4s of the team. Shout out to Corbett the Ogryn who is my new buddy. First and Only!

Bring Tanith skin to the vet game Fatshark!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I try not to get mad at Xbox players because I feel getting mad in a game is just bad for long term enjoyment. Also sometimes there's plenty to get mad about in a Fatshark game sometimes besides the players.

I play zealot more than anything now, and as mentioned, zealot is a reactive class made for the clutch. With a knife I can zip to wherever I'm needed and raise raise raise. I really should invest in revive speed on curios because of the new influx of players in Damnation but I haven't had much luck getting optimal curios so oh well.

Also I really don't like the throwing knives. Stealth and the rush are great however.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Right side zealot builds have to take a long detour to avoid the Loner aura if they don't want to bear the Pariah's Mark.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DogsInSpace! posted:

That’s pretty much the build I’ve been using and IT IS AMAZING! Complete with force sword and purgatus staff and I can melt everyone. EVERYONE!

On a zealot?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

ZeusCannon posted:

You're bringing more to the table than you realize. At lower levels raw DPS is neat and can get you through almost anything. There will be a point that the things not counted on the scoreboard mod will create a skill ceiling.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh yeah Veterans ability to just turn their baleful gaze at a threat and obliterate it in every situations at every range far outstrips any other classes ability to do it. With plasma, autogun, shotgun, revolver, or las, A good veteran will pretty much be taking out anything that can harm the team before you realize it's even there, a guardian angel or helicopter parent to the team, especially if you build them for constant booboo repair with a good shouting.

They were like that way before the talent trees and the addition of the talent trees has really just given every other class builds that approach their level of power and left them feeling less shiny, but theyre still super duper turbo good.

Especially as you get to the higher difficulties, huge packs of shooters, snipers, ragers, maulers, and crushers are a constant threat and probably the primary worry to the team and veteran can melt all of them very easily with the tools available to them. And even discounting the side of the tree that improves their melee, their melee loadout is very good at dealing with horde clear based on your own preference.

It's all very skill and knowledge dependent though, if you miss a lot or cant identify and locate threats fast enough your utility starts dropping quite a bit.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 13, 2023

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ZeusCannon posted:

I did the same thing and vet felt like poo poo to me until I hit at least level 15 or so.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ZeusCannon posted:

Plasma / Shout / Krak feels incredibly strong right now.

https://i.imgur.com/pcOWyKd.mp4

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That might have been the most painful mission I've gone through. Not pictured: the game respawning three of the four of us at the start of the map, when the last player was in the refinery area.
Also not pictured: three separate barrel kills through "exploding without a burn phase and launching someone off a balcony"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nIJdHn1FFE

When you buy the Death Korps cosmetics bundle.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Diephoon posted:

Plasma / Shout / Krak feels incredibly strong right now.

https://i.imgur.com/pcOWyKd.mp4

I'll continue to recommend Autogun/Executioner/Krak and hope it never gets popular enough they nerf it, because it really does feel like cheating almost.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I'll continue to recommend Autogun/Executioner/Krak and hope it never gets popular enough they nerf it, because it really does feel like cheating almost.

Headhunter Mk VII for lyfe.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Evil Kit posted:

I guess it's just a personal hate I harbor for the knife or something but why do so many people like it? Far more effort to handle a horde than almost any other weapon, it does find killing hard targets but on Vet especially that's what your gun is for.

It's fun being fast I guess but you can just do that with a Chainsword and Rev It Up and be twice as effective for half the effort??? Idgi

Like on Zealot I can see the merit, but Vet just does not need or want a knife generally.

I'm currently running knife zealot, straight down the middle going to the Momentum keystones, down the right of the top of the tree to grab bleed on melee hit and 50% toughness on crit, and a couple of points to get the invul for 5 seconds on lethal hit. The reason why it's addictive is the insane mobility, the stupid fast attacks and the fact that targets get max bleed stacks with 2 hits ( although since I downloaded the health bar and display debuff mods it can be sometimes disheartening to see how little immediate impact 16 stacks has ). Since I tried the knife, everything seems to be molasses and while I'm not one hit backstabbing crushers I can confidently dance around a half dozen of them and bleed/crit them to death faster than I could charge up thunderhammer them. The Vet has some nice passives down the right side of the tree that also synergise nicely with the knife for a similar style of play.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I also started a veteran. It felt amazing playing malice difficulty with zero hickups multiple games in a row as soon as it unlocked with the starter lasgun.

Constant headshots felt really empowering after playing an ogryn with short to mid range inaccurate guns. I was able to contribute to successful difficulty 5 missions well before 30. It has been great.

I miss how tanky the ogryn is, and something can be said for being tall enough to shoot over the shorties who want to run in front of you, but veteran is great.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hah - meant to respond the post I'll quote below with a build from Rasputin. I failed utterly and proving my avatar correct yet again. Sorry man - Side note: I AM copying that build I accidentally quoted for my Zealot and its good. 25 now and running Eviscerator and Laspistol. Really like all the grenades for zealot but playing around with different builds. I want to ask some things as I do my Zealot but better fix my goof.

What I meant to quote:

tangy yet delightful posted:

Any tips/links on an assassin Psyker build? I'd be interested to check it out, might be worth bringing into chance to spawn monsters lobbies as without dedicated bosskill I've had some runs to south due to that reason.
And meant to quote this

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is what I'm running for crit support zealot.

You could swap shield of contempt for 20% backstab cooldown, but shield of contempt is an absurdly strong team bonus that triggers consistently and you'd be giving it up for inconsistent backstab opportunities.

Still love that build. Lots of crits and death. Not helping the rep of XBox guys here...

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 13, 2023

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Dev Blog up on the Carnival Map

quote:

Our work on The Carnival began with searching for a mood and backstory that differed from what you’ve previously seen in Darktide, while staying authentically Warhammer 40,000 and true to something you’d expect to find in the dark fantasy of a Hive City. What if we combine visual inspiration from Victorian London and its legends, with that of a Deep Hive? Toying with ideas such as a corrupted governor who would make The Adeptus Arbites look the other way while profiting off unsanctioned establishments, out of sight from the main streets. The overarching pieces fell quickly into place, making room for the expertise of Dan Abnett and our narrative team to flesh things out further and make corrections where necessary.
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/dev-blog-the-carnival-level-design

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I dunno how crits work with full auto weapons, but if you stack crit talents onto the psyker along with the crit weapon perk on a columnus infantry gun, you can get a pretty crazy crit rate.

I think it should be like roughly 20% with innate character rate/crit coherency bonus/raw crit talent/gun perk, but almost all of those shots are crits. That is without scrier's gaze which is another 20%. It makes you pretty tanky in a firefight due to the talent that restores 5% toughness when that triggers. It just shreds reapers/monstrosities, buuut it is pretty slow at killing crushers though. I can do it with one whole magazine in the training room + scrier's gaze, but it's pretty unreliable when they're moving around/getting staggered/chaff gets in the way.

This is what I've got set.

With the precision keystone you can run as fast as a knife zealot once you get going. I tried with warp charges first, but it really doesn't synergize with gaze at all, since you lose all those warp stacks when you use your ability.

I think this'll remain go-to since the voidstrike nerf, it just doesn't feel nearly punchy enough now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DogsInSpace! posted:

What I meant to quote:
Feeling very confused in a sea of quotes here but I'm looking for the "assassin psyker" (that presumably is really good at boss kill) build. Seems like you've just posted 2 zealot builds.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol xbox players am i rite

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
SUCKbox

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zealot plays like a cross between Merc Kruber and Saltzpyre Zealot from VT2. Always be screaming, always be attacking.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I dunno how crits work with full auto weapons, but if you stack crit talents onto the psyker along with the crit weapon perk on a columnus infantry gun, you can get a pretty crazy crit rate.

I think it should be like roughly 20% with innate character rate/crit coherency bonus/raw crit talent/gun perk, but almost all of those shots are crits. That is without scrier's gaze which is another 20%. It makes you pretty tanky in a firefight due to the talent that restores 5% toughness when that triggers. It just shreds reapers/monstrosities, buuut it is pretty slow at killing crushers though. I can do it with one whole magazine in the training room + scrier's gaze, but it's pretty unreliable when they're moving around/getting staggered/chaff gets in the way.

This is what I've got set.

With the precision keystone you can run as fast as a knife zealot once you get going. I tried with warp charges first, but it really doesn't synergize with gaze at all, since you lose all those warp stacks when you use your ability.

I think this'll remain go-to since the voidstrike nerf, it just doesn't feel nearly punchy enough now.

One build I've seen is going for full warp charges for the 24% damage with 6 charges up, but you lose them all on scrier's gaze which is a bit of a downside unless you can kill a lot of elites fast.

Internet Explorer posted:

lol xbox players am i rite

Did a maelstrom today start to finish with an xbox player, the maelstrom felt unusually punishing and felt like we were dealing with endless enemies by ourselves and me and my friend were the only two standing at several points, checked the scoreboard after and in a game with 3000+ kills the xbox player had 120 and died 5 times.
Oh, and they were the one to shoot a daemonhost while a chaos spawn and a horde of chaos puppies came in at the same time, fun.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 13, 2023

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally I like warp charges with gaze slightly more than destiny stacks with gaze, I enjoy gaze being available more frequently with the cooldown reduction and destiny stacks can be so unreliable, sometimes it just tags one guy 30m above you behind a wall taking cover and when you try to shoot him an ally shoots him first then it tags a mauler and someone else gets the last hit (etc).

Probably just mostly down to personal preference, but I don't find it to be too big a deal to restock on warp charges with gaze on (and you don't have to rely on weakpoint kills for 3x stacks).

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!
Which perks and blessings are people putting on the plasma gun?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Personally I like warp charges with gaze slightly more than destiny stacks with gaze, I enjoy gaze being available more frequently with the cooldown reduction and destiny stacks can be so unreliable, sometimes it just tags one guy 30m above you behind a wall taking cover and when you try to shoot him an ally shoots him first then it tags a mauler and someone else gets the last hit (etc).

Probably just mostly down to personal preference, but I don't find it to be too big a deal to restock on warp charges with gaze on (and you don't have to rely on weakpoint kills for 3x stacks).

Disrupt destiny would be so much better if it just continued tagging enemies every couple seconds instead of only one at a time, so often a gunner seems to know he gets tagged and makes a sprint to the next room suddenly, it continuing to tag would eliminate those bad feels, or if allies ganking your kills contributed to refreshing the stacks.

FTJ posted:

Bonus vs flak to 1 body shot bombers is a must for me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

FTJ posted:

Personally, Crit with heat + Blaze away/ Toughness on elite kill. 10% dmg vs Elites, 25% flak

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Bonus vs flak to 1 body shot bombers is a must for me.

Do you mean poxbursters? Bombers should already be a oneshot even with a vanilla plasma I thought

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Uncharged shots need flak to kill bombers on a body shot in my experience, you don't want to wait to fully charge when you hear you're about to be flushed out.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

MuffinsAndPie posted:

With automatic weapons a single crit proc results in multiple critical hits, and on top of that the Colomnus infantry is one of the few weapons where you get 4 critical hits per proc, so you just get a stream of critical hits once you get going.
And yeah, like you notinced each hit counts fully towards talents that trigger on crits: it's pretty great on a Zealot build with Blazing Piety as well for that same reason.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Exodee posted:

With automatic weapons a single crit proc results in multiple critical hits, and on top of that the Colomnus infantry is one of the few weapons where you get 4 critical hits per proc, so you just get a stream of critical hits once you get going.
And yeah, like you notinced each hit counts fully towards talents that trigger on crits: it's pretty great on a Zealot build with Blazing Piety as well for that same reason.

:getin:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1976175209

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZombyDog posted:

I'm currently running knife zealot, straight down the middle going to the Momentum keystones, down the right of the top of the tree to grab bleed on melee hit and 50% toughness on crit, and a couple of points to get the invul for 5 seconds on lethal hit. The reason why it's addictive is the insane mobility, the stupid fast attacks and the fact that targets get max bleed stacks with 2 hits ( although since I downloaded the health bar and display debuff mods it can be sometimes disheartening to see how little immediate impact 16 stacks has ). Since I tried the knife, everything seems to be molasses and while I'm not one hit backstabbing crushers I can confidently dance around a half dozen of them and bleed/crit them to death faster than I could charge up thunderhammer them. The Vet has some nice passives down the right side of the tree that also synergise nicely with the knife for a similar style of play.

fwiw I don't think you should do a crit build with TH or any other slow swinging weapon. Blazing Piety benefits fast attacking, high crit weapons the most.

But yeah, I still don't really get it. Even on Zealot you can do the same build except with an Eviscerator and Blazing Piety and just mow down hordes and mixed hordes, and then pull out a Hand Cannon revolver to destroy any crushers or specials that dare show their face. Fraction of the effort and clicking required, and you need to move way less.

Momentum feels like the weakest keystone to me, very inconsistent and not as controllable as I'd like. I can see why people like it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have the goofy grandiose one because the first time I heard "MASTERSEEMYDEEDS!" when she charged I was like "holy poo poo I have to remake my zealot right loving now"

I love that voice the faux snooty mother superior vibes are hilarious. That and the fact that occasionally on swing they shout 'sinner!'

Edit: had a quick read through of the dev diary and i think the most exciting thing they mention is that the various missions in the district will all connect into one overarching storyline; they had this kind of mission design in VT2 and them replacing that with disconnected busywork in DT is probably one of the games biggest steps backwards in terms of narrative. It might fit the vibe of being stuck in endless war but it also contributes to the issue of the missions feeling indistinct from one another.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 13, 2023