Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I hope the climate change activists show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SocksAndSandals posted:

I hope the climate change activists show up

Paddock was an environmentalist.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wicka posted:

Click clack

:rip: car talk guy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The first 4WD F1 car was the Ferguson P99-Climax, and it remains the most famous example as a result of its twin claims to fame – not only the first 4WD car, but also the last front-engined car ever to win a Formula 1 event.

In a 1997 interview for Motor Sport magazine, Sir Stirling Moss nominated the P99 as his favourite of all the F1 cars he drove. This was considered high praise from a man who drove the Mercedes W196, Maserati 250F, Vanwall and Cooper T51.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Wait are you joking, the regenerative braking doesn’t turn on the lights???

No idea about Teslas but it does with my Leaf.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

It does on most EVs, but there are some where it doesn't at all.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ArmedZombie posted:

The first 4WD F1 car was the Ferguson P99-Climax, and it remains the most famous example as a result of its twin claims to fame – not only the first 4WD car, but also the last front-engined car ever to win a Formula 1 event.

In a 1997 interview for Motor Sport magazine, Sir Stirling Moss nominated the P99 as his favourite of all the F1 cars he drove. This was considered high praise from a man who drove the Mercedes W196, Maserati 250F, Vanwall and Cooper T51.

To fully evaluate this we must know which of them he drove at 4C, scientifically the peak temperature for F1 tyres.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://youtu.be/U0YW7x9U5TQ?si=9qrg54mynQ5jKoPH

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

It does on most EVs, but there are some where it doesn't at all.

When I test drove an e golf the guy made sure to tell me that it doesn't come on in anything other than the most aggressive setting which struck me as a bit odd. I guess it's similar to engine braking but most people aren't doing that and if you can already program it to do so then why they hell disable it just because it's slightly less aggressive

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is one pedal breaking somehow better for regeneration or the battery or are they just trying to fix a problem that doesnt exist or be "innovative" by removing the brake pedal

if its the latter just feels like when they took out the aux on phones. i like my brake pedal.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

is one pedal breaking somehow better for regeneration or the battery or are they just trying to fix a problem that doesnt exist or be "innovative" by removing the brake pedal

if its the latter just feels like when they took out the aux on phones. i like my brake pedal.

it’s called regenerative braking for a reason

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

but why do you need one pedal to do it? couldnt you regenerate with a seperate brake pedal?

maybe you cant idk, im asking these questions in good faith this is the first time ive even heard of one pedal braking

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

but why do you need one pedal to do it? couldnt you regenerate with a seperate brake pedal?

maybe you cant idk, im asking these questions in good faith this is the first time ive even heard of one pedal braking

sorry, you do have your standard 2 pedals, brake and accelerator.

If you have it set to max regen, just letting off the accelerator will cause the car to act as if it is under braking, so as a rule you only have to use the accelerator pedal to drive. You can still hit the brake pedal to stop faster or whatever.

or set it to less regen and you’ll use the brake pedal as you’re used to.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

The average idiot can barely remember to not put metal in the microwave and you're proposing we throw a second brake pedal at them? Lmao

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

going to pretend like one pedal isnt referring to the gas pedal having a regen brake zone and say why not bring back the clutch pedal but have it switch between regen and friction brakes because that would be funny as hell

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i used a subaru outback rental and when using adaptive cruise control the brake light on the little pretend car on the dashboard would light up if the car brakes. my toyota doesnt do that and i hate how i cant tell if the brake light is illuminated except by hearing a little solenoid click and feeling the deceleration.

adc is cool but when its super annoying when it over aggressively uses the brakes becuase the vehicle ahead is exiting the interstate and its confused, which concertinas the cars behind me

does the brake light guy have anything to say about that

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The Cadillac Lyriq does what you're talking about. But it's not a third pedal, it's a pressure sensitive paddle "shifter".

It is extremely odd feeling, but that's only because I've never braked with my hands. I imagine it's probably somewhat similar to some accessibility setups that people have?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

It’s lights out and away you go into the EV’s rear bumper!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The Cadillac Lyriq does what you're talking about. But it's not a third pedal, it's a pressure sensitive paddle "shifter".

It is extremely odd feeling, but that's only because I've never braked with my hands. I imagine it's probably somewhat similar to some accessibility setups that people have?

So it is just like with trucks where you have an engine jam brake (or some magnetic current brake) to straighten up your trailer or use it downhill to not overheat your real brakes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ethanol posted:

going to pretend like one pedal isnt referring to the gas pedal having a regen brake zone and say why not bring back the clutch pedal but have it switch between regen and friction brakes because that would be funny as hell

its been 3 years since I've driven an EV my bad lmao

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think the endgame for EVs is probably gonna be some GPS optimisation over deployment and braking. its why GM is so keep to gut the plug in your phone apple CarPlay/whatever android calls theirs stuff from their cars. unless the car itself knows where you're going its not going to be able to optimise around that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GM just wants to harvest data to sell to advertisers, that is their sole motivation in that regard

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wow that's incredibly loving dumb lol. on the other hand if you're dumb enough to buy a chevy 1500 new and eat that depreciation I'm assuming advertisers are keep to get data on you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just implement CarPlay and Android Auto properly so that a seven year old car doesn't have a completely unusable navigation

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Just implement CarPlay and Android Auto properly so that a seven year old car doesn't have a completely unusable navigation

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/car-marine-audio/receiver-players/p/xavax5500

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://youtu.be/lxtW46w8ANE?si=dj1KErBPfbvdQRQp

lol, first words out of the Mercedes guy’s mouth brought me back to this thread:

“First key factor in Vegas is going to be the cold temperatures, getting the tires to work.”

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

I know if F1 didn’t race in dictatorships they’d have nowhere to go, but dropping Sochi off the calendar for good reasons means Azerbaijan should also be dropped.

Eagerly awaiting the Tel Aviv GP

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

smackfu posted:

https://youtu.be/lxtW46w8ANE?si=dj1KErBPfbvdQRQp

lol, first words out of the Mercedes guy’s mouth brought me back to this thread:

“First key factor in Vegas is going to be the cold temperatures, getting the tires to work.”

they'll just drive faster ezpz

duh stop making a big deal out of nothing

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
just send them khablam's posts on tire operating temps, so simple

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Best part of this was when Spurrier answered the phone as HEAD BALL COACH

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sash! posted:

Best part of this was when Spurrier answered the phone as HEAD BALL COACH

2000's SAS was a blessed time.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
The tires will work fine, they are just gonna be ice skates until they get warmed up. Will be interesting to see how that impacts undercutting, since that will be the only way to pass.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Pretty sure there will be plenty of standing restarts giving chances to pass after the binmen all put it into the wall and give us red flags.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Pretty sure there will be plenty of standing restarts giving chances to pass after the binmen all put it into the wall and give us red flags.

Now that you mention it, the track might have Saudi Arabia syndrome where all the debris has nowhere to go and just collects on the track and forces red flags for marshals to be able to go pick it up. That could be interesting. Where's Latifi when you need him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

acidx posted:

The tires will work fine, they are just gonna be ice skates until they get warmed up. Will be interesting to see how that impacts undercutting, since that will be the only way to pass.

hi.

They have these things called tire blankets that pre-heat the tires. it won't be an issue. hth.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Are there support races for Vegas or is the only rubber on the track going to be from the F1 cars?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ilmucche posted:

Are there support races for Vegas or is the only rubber on the track going to be from the F1 cars?

Look into your heart.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

Just F1 rubber baby, the purest pirelli powder

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Happy birthday to noted McLaren good lad, Lando Norris! :lando:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Poggers