Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
my son opted to not have one

:thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
^^^ :argh:

quote:

My son opted to not have one so this will be my only opportunity.

I wonder why?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

quantumwell posted:

I refuse to believe a cat is shooting its wad with the volume and velocity and aim to get semen on her face. Unless the cat is Peter North.

Why would the direction of the Peter change the velocity?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For Not Paying for My Friend’s Broken Glass Door?
I love how in the US it has apparently become Normal to just passively aggressively request people pay you via Venmo instead of actually talking about it first

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
I just want to know what a mamal is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I just want to know what a mamal is.

Not much, what's mamal with you?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling the mailbox store attendant to go home?

Goddamn, husband's a piece of poo poo.

Hope the attendant learned an important lesson - when you're closed you're closed.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

Why would the direction of the Peter change the velocity?

Just check out his videos, and he'll be more than happy to demonstrate :pervert:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Removed upon request.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 13, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Vim Fuego posted:

my son opted to not have one

:thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is a NO SIGS 128K SAFE!!! Thread here buddy.

I had to log onto the forums via mobile browser, then gently caress around for a solid minute trying to find the settings link, then enable sigs to even see what the issue was, lmao. Are you browsing from a '98 Power Mac, Corky?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does it matter? They can turn off their signature or I can keep getting PMs from people annoyed by their signature so I hand out sixers. I’d prefer the former.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's equally as much work to PM you as to turn off sigs, maybe more, lol.

I don't really care either way, but it's really funny, and it's even funnier that there's a group of narcs PMing you because unchecking a box is hard. Do other posters ITT have super cool awesome, experience enhancing sigs that everyone needs to see or something?

E: I do read this thread when I have a lousy phone signal because it's almost exclusively text, maybe some posters are still on dial-up?

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 13, 2023

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Nah, they can gently caress off with the obnoxious sig or turn it off. Heaven forbid someone be told to not inconvenience others.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think it's that signatures are rarely used within GBS anymore so some people don't even think to turn them off. And it hasn't been a bunch of posters, just one PM and one report. Still, I just ask that people please turn their signatures off in this thread, especially when they're long and obnoxious.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Nah, they can gently caress off with the obnoxious sig or turn it off. Heaven forbid someone be told to not inconvenience others.

Why do you have sigs turned on? Like serious question.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sounds like that there should be a forums-setting that only shows signatures in certain sub-forums, not user settings.
But sig code is probably load bearing piece of code so what to do :shrug:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Issaries posted:

Sounds like that there should be a forums-setting that only shows signatures in certain sub-forums, not user settings.

I've spent years genuinely assuming that was the case

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
AITA for having an injokey collage that is important in my subculture that I display when I'm the first speaker of the day in a social forum?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Elviscat posted:

Why do you have sigs turned on? Like serious question.

I didn't have them on either but it's a valid choice. Saying "if you don't want to see the signatures full of gifs, turn off signatures" is kinda like saying "if you don't want to see bad posts, log off the forums".

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

AITA for taking back my acceptance of a marriage proposal, because of the ring?

quote:

I(32F) have been with my longterm BF(35M) for 7 years now.

I am not religious, nor am I someone who thinks marriage is necessary in a longterm relationship, but I admit that the bureaucratic benifits are great. My BF on the other hand, is someone who believes in the institution of marriage.

When we started getting serious about 9 months into our relationship, we discussed marriage, and I made it clear that I have some conditions before I would marry him, chief among them, was that he should get rid of his debt, and improve his finances (not income, but how he manages them).

Now 6 years later, after a lot of effort from him, and help from me, he is consumer free debt, and almost done with his student loans (as in they would have been paid by February next year), and we seriously discussed getting married soon after. I made it clear that I wanted to not spend a lot on the whole affair.

Well he proposed Saturday, and it was a beautiful affair, and of course I said yes. Then we get home and I ask about my ring. He proudly informs me that ot cost $14k. At first I thought he took from our savings to buy it, and I was pissed, but I became even more pissed when he said that he got it on payments.

I gave it back, and said that I no longer accept his proposal, that I was infact rethinking our whole relationship, if he was going to go ahead and throw all our sacrifices down the drain for a rock. He got angry with me, said that he only wanted me to feel special, and I reminded him that for me, us being financially stable is much more inportant than a piece of jewellery.

Anyway, I am posting here to see if taking back my acceptance was really an AH move, or if it is justified.

:munch:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Get the gently caress out of there. Any time she brings up his debt/payments he's going to throw it back in her face with "Well that was for your ring!"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In 7 years you didn't talk to your GF about what kinda ring she'd want if you got engaged?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's a loving idiot that will never learn. If her conditions for marriage were that he get rid of his debt and pay down his student loans then it would follow that she wouldn't be a fan of the idea to eventually pay $20,000 on a $14k ring.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Look this guide says six months salary

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

But honey, I'm ruining our future together for you!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Look. Working down his debts was the best part of their relationship.
Why not continue the good times with a new debt?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
LONG LIVE THE NEW DEBT

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He's a loving idiot that will never learn. If her conditions for marriage were that he get rid of his debt and pay down his student loans then it would follow that she wouldn't be a fan of the idea to eventually pay $20,000 on a $14k ring.

Wouldn't be shocked if it was a "0% interest!" payment plan from a chain jeweler, meaning he committed to paying $14k for $8-9k ring.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

AITA for making an “if he’s not ready on time, he stays home” policy against my wife’s wishes?

quote:

My wife [31F] an I [33M] have a 3-year-old boy. He currently goes to daycare during the day. I generally drop him off, and then my wife's mother will pick him up. My wife cannot drive so she unfortunately cannot take him.

I have found that if I get my son out the door by 8:45, I can get him to daycare and then be on time for work. Unfortunately, my wife tends to drag her feet with getting him fed and ready, so she has caused me to be late multiple times. I am in a field where I simply cannot be late, and therefore this situation is unacceptable. I have been late four times since he started going to daycare, and my wife has only gotten less consistent.

Last Wednesday, I realized that if I waited for my wife to get him fully ready, I’d be late to work. I simply walked out the door. She called me screaming angrily, but I told her that if she didn’t want him to stay home, she should have had him ready on time.

The next day she managed to get him out right at 8:45, but on Friday it became clear again that she was going to cause me to be late. I just walked out the door. She texted me multiple times, and when I got home at around 11pm, she had a lot to say about it.

I don’t think I’m the rear end in a top hat for my policy seeing as I simply cannot afford to be late to work, but I wonder if there’s something I’m not seeing here.

OP confirms following in the thread:

He works two jobs from nine to 11pm, she is a SAHM.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Theophany posted:

Two posts at the top of r/relationships this morning. First person is at a crossroads...

Paralyzed by indecision, should I call off a wedding?

The second is the ghost of future bad decisions...

My (46f) husband (45m) tells me that sex should not be tied to how he treats me.

How about you take these horrible, unentertaining and relentlessly depressing stories of abuse and stick them right up your clacker.

How many fuckin' times do people need to be told that this isn't a race to find pure awfulness. Fucks sake.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Breetai posted:

How about you take these horrible, unentertaining and relentlessly depressing stories of abuse and stick them right up your clacker.

How many fuckin' times do people need to be told that this isn't a race to find pure awfulness. Fucks sake.

I apologize for missing that post, I was too distracted by the other nonsense going on.

Theophany posted:

Two posts at the top of r/relationships this morning. First person is at a crossroads...

Paralyzed by indecision, should I call off a wedding?

The second is the ghost of future bad decisions...

My (46f) husband (45m) tells me that sex should not be tied to how he treats me.

Theophany, please edit your post to remove these two stories. They're both about women trapped in abusive relationships and the posts are cries for help because they don't know if they can bring themselves to escape, or if that would somehow make them the rear end in a top hat.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Issaries posted:

AITA for making an “if he’s not ready on time, he stays home” policy against my wife’s wishes?

OP confirms following in the thread:

He works two jobs from nine to 11pm, she is a SAHM.

Assuming they live in a car centric urban or suburban sprawl, that doesn't sound like a very sustainable situation and this conflict is just the tip of an iceberg made of built up resentment.

Even ignoring the 14 hour days / 70 hour weeks that the husband spends working (wtf), not being able to drive probably limits her employment options and probably also makes it difficult for her to do the sort of errands that a SAHP could reasonably be expected to do - shopping, appointments, etc.

They probably cannot afford divorce either and are stuck with each other for the foreseeable future.

ESH, but the E is for Everything

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

You're welcome to not read them or the thread at all!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Vim Fuego posted:

The parents should be glad they dodged the bullet. those grandkids would get put down in 12 years anyway

Those parents were planning on putting the ex-girlfriend down after she made a few babies, so it didn’t occur to them that she would be a terrible mother.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

big mean giraffe posted:

Assuming you're not just making a joke, abuse stories aren't allowed in this thread and haven't been long before I showed up.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Assuming you're not just making a joke, abuse stories aren't allowed in this thread and haven't been long before I showed up.

Weird, like 99% of the stories posted in this thread involve some sort of familial or spousal abuse be it physical or emotional

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

big mean giraffe posted:

Weird, like 99% of the stories posted in this thread involve some sort of familial or spousal abuse be it physical or emotional

big mean giraffe posted:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

That uh doesn't work the way you think it does bud

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the only good thing I see about those stories like the ones above is the breakthrough when Reddit convinces them that poo poo ain't normal, and the people are escaping. Especially if they think it's all normal, but Reddit isn't always pure evil.

AITA for refusing to wear an outfit at a fashion show?

quote:

AITA for refusing to wear an outfit?

I (21M) am a model. I am not modelling at fashion weeks or anything like that, im still at the beginning of my career. I have modeled a lot, i take every opportunity i can to get experience.

So, I auditioned for this fashion show and got in. At the first fitting, the people organizing the event called me over, they were trying to find an outfit for me. They asked one of the designers if he had anything for me. He said he only has 4 outfits in this show and only one doesnt have a model yet, so he didnt have alot of options for me. We tried it on, and it fit, but i hated it.

The outfit was a mini dress and cropped jacket. The designer didnt care if a man or a woman wore it. Before i tried it on the designer told me its a quite feminine outfit, and asked if that was ok. I said its fine because i have worn womenswear and gender neutral fashion many times before. So i tried it on. It was cool, but i felt uncomfortable.

I voiced my concerns to the designer, he apologized since that was all he could offer me as an outfit. I said that i have worn femine clothing but that i am in a masculine era of my life right now. He said he doesnt want me to feel uncomfortable and that i should ask the organizers of the event if I could change, as he wasnt 100% incharge of who wears his clothes. These organizers had the final say. I changed my mind and said i actually think its cool and i need to step out of my comfort zone and be ready to wear anything as a model.

Fast forward one week later, its show night. We had a final rehersal the night before, but i didnt go. Some outfits were fixed and retried on, models switched around to be able to walk for multiple brands, etc.

A few hours before the show, i saw the designers,the outfits, the other models, and realized i didnt want to wear that outfit. I went over to the organizer and told her. She went to try to find another model with a similar size to me. I didnt not say anything directly to the designer. Then i went into the makeup chair. Im still walking in this show just for 1 brand instead of 2. Both of these brands were right next to eachother, so it was awkward putting on my outfit right next to that designer that i dropped, to awkward to say anything to him.

The designer didnt say anything about this to me, i dont know how he feels. but a few other models said i am an rear end in a top hat for not switching until 2-3 hours before the runway starts. I didnt know what happened with the outfit i dropped. Later i found out they found a replacement and that outfit made it on the runway.

Am i the rear end in a top hat?

I believe i may be the rear end in a top hat because i waited until last minute to not wear the outfit.

I don't know about fashion at all, but as a model isn't it your base job to wear what the designer picks?

AITA for asking my dad and his new wife "why is this my problem?" when they were explaining something about my dad's new stepdaughter to me?

quote:

My dad got married a little over a month ago. I (16m) met his wife and her daughter just under 2 months ago. They had a long distance relationship before that. Dad's stepdaughter is 4. The incident in question happened a week ago. My dad's wife's daughter wasn't home. I think she was with a friend of my dad's or something. But they did that so they could talk to me. Dad's wife told me that she and my dad needed me to know that her daughter would need me more than ever. She told me that while she was married to her ex husband she had an affair and that her daughter was born as a result of the affair and that her older kids all made it clear they were disgusted by her and found her repulsive as an affair baby and she said they made it clear they would never consider her a sibling or treat her the same as they treat each other because she's tainted by the way she was born and all this stuff. She told me that meeting my dad was the best thing ever and she was so grateful they had the chance to move so her daughter wouldn't grow up feeling hated every day and so she had the chance at a family who would love her and treat her the way she deserved to be treated.

I didn't really get why she was telling me at that moment and I felt like it was a weird thing to bring up to me. So I asked why this stuff was my problem when they were still practically strangers to me. They got mad and told me that was a horrific way to react to being told "my new sister" was treated terribly before and hated for something she could not control. They told me it should be obvious why I was being told, because they wanted me to make an effort to be her older brother and not just a stepbrother she lived with for two years and then turned his back on her once he was out of the house. They said I could be a great addition to her life and I should be honored that I get the chance to have a sibling because losing my mom so young and dad not finding anyone else special until years later meant I could have remained an only child forever. My reaction was not what they liked and then they told me my attitude was a problem and my reaction to being given relevant information as well as my lack of enthusiasm to be there for dad's new stepdaughter was painting me in a negative light.

Dad's wife told me I was lucky they had the foresight not to say this with her daughter in the house because it would be crushing for a little girl to pick up on my lack of affection for her. I asked where the affection was meant to come from after so little time and being thrown together as strangers.

The last week they have made comments about my attitude and my dad told me I was out of order being so rude and dismissive with my "why's this my problem".

AITA?

Bolding mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

big mean giraffe posted:

That uh doesn't work the way you think it does bud

Look, if you so badly want to read abuse stories that you're going to be deliberately obtuse about it you can go directly to reddit. I can even help you if you'd like.