Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Very annoyed that I missed out on getting werewolf now though , seems like it’s currently one of the best cards in the game

He is very strong, often reaching 7-15 power, which is way above rate for a 3-drop. I'd expect to see him bumped down in an OTA before long, probably to a 3/1 or even a 3/0, since he's kinda like a more conditional Forge with a higher power ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Ugh, finally hit Infinite, what a slog. Flew up the first 10 ranks to 83, then hit less than a handful of bots for the next four days. Got there with Shuri/Sauron, with InSheNaut and Loki by Night contributing. Enchantress was the MVP, wrecking a ton of Marvel decks and getting me the final 8 cubes vs someone who got the dream Iron Man/Onslaught/Giganto/Tribunal on Onslaughts Citadel.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

this was a lot of fun but ive hit level 974 and im now being matched against players who have all the top decks on untapped and getting completely dumpstered every match now. i assume the training wheels came off in the last 10 levels or so and now it doesnt care about matching me with people who pay to win or have every card worth having

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kly posted:

this was a lot of fun but ive hit level 974 and im now being matched against players who have all the top decks on untapped and getting completely dumpstered every match now. i assume the training wheels came off in the last 10 levels or so and now it doesnt care about matching me with people who pay to win or have every card worth having

The game tries to match you with players near your MMR, Collection Level, and Rank, but the longer you're in queue, the wider the rangers get until it finds a game. If you're seeing a lot of tuned meta decks, then you might try playing during peak hours when more people are online.

That said, the game does want you to start spending money, and if you stick exclusively to FTP, then expect to get thumped by higher-quality decks for a good while.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

im just sour cause cause i dropped from rank 87 to 79 very quickly. often losing when i snapped at what i thought was a sure thing only to beat by cards id never seen before. one time they put that drat -8 goblin on my side, which was fine cause id still tie that lane and win the other two then next turn they destroyed everything other than that lane!

that new marvel card is also basically a guaranteed loss for me. i have one card in my collection that can stop it, enchantress, and every deck i run into thats not a ms marvel deck it doesnt help much with. i of course always draw enchantress when it wont do me any good and never when they have a ms marvel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I will say, if you're going to spend any money, the Season Pass is the way to go. Not only do you get a (generally) good card at a very low price, but the overall value of the season track is really solid too. Assuming you reach Season Pass Rank 50 by the end of the month.

In my opinion, skipping season passes is a surefire way to hate the game once you're out of the start tiers since season pass cards tend to range from Very Good to loving Busted and frequently define the meta for weeks.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

I started playing in February without buying season passes and never really felt like I missed out too badly until Loki. Elsa too, but now she's been nerfed its ok. Ms Marvel seems good but not as meta-warping and more counter-able than those other two. I did end up buying the Loki season pass, but not till the end of the month which was a mistake. You get punished more for not buying season passes early now because of the extra weekend rewards.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Kly posted:

im just sour cause cause i dropped from rank 87 to 79 very quickly. often losing when i snapped at what i thought was a sure thing only to beat by cards id never seen before. one time they put that drat -8 goblin on my side, which was fine cause id still tie that lane and win the other two then next turn they destroyed everything other than that lane!

that new marvel card is also basically a guaranteed loss for me. i have one card in my collection that can stop it, enchantress, and every deck i run into thats not a ms marvel deck it doesnt help much with. i of course always draw enchantress when it wont do me any good and never when they have a ms marvel.

This doesn't really help right now but if you ever get a chance to get High Evolutionary than get him. It's 1 card and then nearly every thing else is series 1 or 2.

He's not in the spotlights until January but if you see him in the token shop before then pin him and try to find a way to get the tokens by spending your gold on a bundle or something. He has single handedly carried me to infinite on the ladder and conquest since i got him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also worth noting that Shuri works with only S3 cards and has been at or near the top of the meta for ages. Worth keeping an eye out for the key pieces as you get deeper into S3.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes although throwing Alioth into Shuri Sauron makes the deck pretty potent

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes although throwing Alioth into Shuri Sauron makes the deck pretty potent

Alioth has a crazy-high play rate at the moment. Throwing him in almost anything is pretty potent.

Really hoping the gut him with the next OTA.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
This deck worked really well for me, and pretty quickly, to rack up wins for the weekend challenge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
That Dazzler can't be right. Even in the absolute best case scenario, you will be filling only two locations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BoldFace posted:

That Dazzler can't be right. Even in the absolute best case scenario, you will be filling only two locations.

Feel free to swap it out, but she's done just fine for me. There are enough ninjas, squirrels, rocks, and other site-created bullshit (or Sinister London, Cloning Tanks, Space Throne, etc.) that I always fill at least two lanes and often 3. I treat Dazzler as a tech card, like Mobius or Cage - she's there for scenarios that come up often.

She and Elsa work extremely well together.

My usual Elsa deck uses Jeff and Vision, and I would totally agree with dropping Dazzler for Jeff, but then Jeff doesn't get Spectrum's bump.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think that when you start seeing people playing with the full range of cards in the game it is a major pain point, but you can still take games off of those people & with a bit of time you're going to be in a ladder position that more reflects the power levels you're at

also it's a good time to start practicing snapping/retreating now that you're getting a better sense of what games are winnable and what games you should drop. it's a major part of the game and you'll start going up in rank again when you get a handle on it

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Reached Infinite off of mostly Shuri-Sauron. Switched to the Niko Destroy deck to get over a hump getting past 79 into the 80s, Shuri took me through the 80s easily enough, and then switched back to Niko Destroy after falling to 95 from 97 where Shuri seemed to stop working (and after trying a few other decks which didn't seem to take me anywhere).

Knull with Onslaught's Citadel as the featured location was fun, especially as folks were Cosmo'ing the lane to protect their own ongoing cards. Won a 4 cuber to take me to Infinite by Zola'ing a Knull off of Onslaught's too, which I don't think my opponent expected.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Negasonic Teenage Warhead is amazing now

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ive accepted i just have to retreat as soon as i see the pay to win card of the month but im also pretty often losing to destroy/discard decks. mainly ones with death and knull/dracula/hera (i think? the one that brings back destroyed cards) what can i do against those other than getting shang-chi, going 2nd in turn order and guessing right where theyll drop their 12/20/50 power card on turn 6?

i mostly switch between these two decks right now

i try to use armor and cosmo to stop them from killing wolverines and sabretoothe but that doesnt matter when they destroy cards in their hand. i feel like im missing something to counter these decks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

Negasonic Teenage Warhead is amazing now

It's fun to see her actually being a card. Solid addition to Cerebro 2 and Sera Surfer. She really fucks with all the ongoing combo decks running around right now.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I don't think I've ever put Negasonic in one of my decks, but now that you mention that she's good in Cereb-2...

Also I got that rad spotlight variant

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, leaving a body that Cerebro/Surfer can buff while limiting the opponent makes her an actual playable card. And the fact that she isn't an On Reveal gives her a lot of range. When you drop her in response to a Cosmo middle, there's almost always a 5-15 second pause when you can practically hear the other player ask, "really, dude?"

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 13, 2023

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Goose is also good to pair with negasonic and echo for the 'lol get hosed' amount of retreats they engender

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sadly I just don't have the right kit for truly disgusting onslaught zone action

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Sadly I just don't have the right kit for truly disgusting onslaught zone action

All of the doubling and ramp locations are my least favorite for the Hot Location. It always brings out the most degenerate combo decks and turns every game into a coin flip of whether or not you roll the 50% for the location.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Beasteh posted:

Goose is also good to pair with negasonic and echo for the 'lol get hosed' amount of retreats they engender

I really need to get Echo, and I had her in my token shop, but I refuse to buy a lower series card in that shop.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Skippy McPants posted:

All of the doubling and ramp locations are my least favorite for the Hot Location. It always brings out the most degenerate combo decks and turns every game into a coin flip of whether or not you roll the 50% for the location.
they should ditch hot locations entirely unless they're new locations imo

or maybe just like 12 hour periods, they drag on way too long

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I got Captain Marvel in my monthly claim rotation. Is it worth it for the 100 tokens?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Got a new record for my personal highest score:

mostly posting because of the double-juxtaposition that 4060 is the LOSING score on one location, and that the winning location was only 21 to 19.

Edit: And I messed up too and thought I'd lost when I put Mystique in the middle lane instead of Ant-Man, since she wasn't actually doing anything.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

CJ posted:

I got Captain Marvel in my monthly claim rotation. Is it worth it for the 100 tokens?

The monthly claims cost tokens now? I thought they used to be free

Captain Marvel is fine, not really a difference maker but fits in a couple decks. Hard to say if she's better than other potential monthlies without knowing who else you're missing.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Hobo Clown posted:

Captain Marvel is fine, not really a difference maker but fits in a couple decks. Hard to say if she's better than other potential monthlies without knowing who else you're missing.

There's a mission to win with Captain Marvel this weekend. +100 tokens for 4 games I think.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really really like that Peach Momoko Black Widow variant, someone please talk me off the ledge before I spend ten real American dollars on a cosmetic skin for a fake trading card.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Got a new record for my personal highest score:

mostly posting because of the double-juxtaposition that 4060 is the LOSING score on one location, and that the winning location was only 21 to 19.

Edit: And I messed up too and thought I'd lost when I put Mystique in the middle lane instead of Ant-Man, since she wasn't actually doing anything.
How come your right lane isn't umpteen bazillion power too? There's a Super Skrull there as well, he also ought to be copying the Iron Men and all the Onslaughts.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

If the monthly claim isn't free anymore, then gently caress that. Just wait and get her for free, and save your tokens.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

CapnAndy posted:

I really really like that Peach Momoko Black Widow variant, someone please talk me off the ledge before I spend ten real American dollars on a cosmetic skin for a fake trading card.

How come your right lane isn't umpteen bazillion power too? There's a Super Skrull there as well, he also ought to be copying the Iron Men and all the Onslaughts.

Onslaught doesn't stack with itself on the same card. Left lane is a bazillion power because the Super Skrull and Onslaught are bouncing off each other.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kly posted:

ive accepted i just have to retreat as soon as i see the pay to win card of the month but im also pretty often losing to destroy/discard decks. mainly ones with death and knull/dracula/hera (i think? the one that brings back destroyed cards) what can i do against those other than getting shang-chi, going 2nd in turn order and guessing right where theyll drop their 12/20/50 power card on turn 6?

i mostly switch between these two decks right now

i try to use armor and cosmo to stop them from killing wolverines and sabretoothe but that doesnt matter when they destroy cards in their hand. i feel like im missing something to counter these decks.

those are three different decks and sort of require different approaches, but you're not necessarily missing anything fundamental - conventional discard and destroy are extremely strong and consistent decks in the current meta (even at a fairly high level), and while Hela is a combo deck that loses to itself a fairly large % of the time it also has absurd nut draws that require something like a cosmo snipe to have any shot at beating

both of your decks have relevant tech cards against them, so its probably just learning when/how to use them and estimating their ranges so you know when you can stay in vs. retreating - one of the major weaknesses of destroy and conventional discard are the extent to which they often tip their hands, as you'll know whether or not they've gotten a sufficiently large deadpool/x-23 energy to drop DP+knull/enough dead things to play death+whatever/etc. or were able to discard apocalypse/have a hand full of swarms/giant morbius/etc. (indeed, their best lines are often t5 modok based and you'll know exactly what they've got on t6)

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Kly posted:

Another piece of advice I would give is that retreating well is at least as important as knowing your deck/the opponents deck. Sometimes they have the nuts and you have to cut your losses. Knowing when to play to completion and when to GTFO is a major part of becoming better at the game.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

How often do you all use 'Retreat Later'? I've basically never used it but on the way to infinite this month I decided to give it a try and won two games where I had no winning play.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

victorious posted:

How often do you all use 'Retreat Later'? I've basically never used it but on the way to infinite this month I decided to give it a try and won two games where I had no winning play.

Always use Retreat Later. That way if your opponent presses Retreat Now you'll gain the cube instead of tying.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I hit infinite today but sometimes the games just feels like it's out to crush you. Wednesday I went from 73 to 85. Thursday I moved to 95. Friday I bounced around a bit but nothing was working. No matter what deck I used I got dunked on turn 6. Usually when I get to that point I clean up the dailies and put the game down for 24 hours. I should have quit but I played on tilt and dropped to 87. Sunday and today I was able to abuse the hot location to hit infinite but it felt waaayyy easier to climb. I swear the game is coded to knock you down sometimes.

Anyway I used the Control deck first then the Mr. Marvel Dark Hawk deck to finish out. In the Control deck, I swapped Iron Lad for Super Skrull, Shang Chi, and other stuff but Lad felt the best. In the Marvel deck, Super Skrull was a champ. I would consider swapping Black Widow for Jeff because there's no way for Ms. Marvel to hit unplayable locations.

Control
# (1) Sunspot
# (1) Nebula
# (2) Jeff the Baby Land Shark
# (3) Electro
# (3) Wave
# (4) Ms. Marvel
# (4) Iron Lad
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Sandman
# (6) Alioth
# (6) Doctor Doom
# (6) Orka
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Vuc3BvdCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTmVidWxhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJKZWZmVGhlQmFieUxhbmRTaGFyayJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRWxlY3RybyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2F2ZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTXNNYXJ2ZWwifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlByb2Zlc3NvclgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNhbmRtYW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFsaW90aCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT3JrYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRHJEb29tIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJJcm9uTGFkIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

Marvel Hawk
# (1) Nebula
# (1) Korg
# (2) Black Widow
# (2) Zabu
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Rockslide
# (4) Darkhawk
# (4) Super-Skrull
# (4) Ms. Marvel
# (4) Iron Lad
# (6) Onslaught
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTmVidWxhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJLb3JnIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTdXBlclNrcnVsbCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQmxhY2tXaWRvdyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiWmFidSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTXJGYW50YXN0aWMifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkNvc21vIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJSb2Nrc2xpZGUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRhcmtoYXdrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJJcm9uTGFkIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJPbnNsYXVnaHQifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1zTWFydmVsIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I ended up putting Jeff into InSheNaut in place of Shocker, since he has limited utility most of the time, and with Jeff I don't automatically lose any unplayable locations if my opponent has Nightcrawler or another Jeff at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/ChasePitzer/status/1724176407805182064

I cannot believe Jeff Hoogland manages to dress himself