Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1723849842638696910?t=giLkaVZUgmOLJjVNv2X98A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I believe Dak can do it someday. I believe he can either get that 3rd win or that 5th loss and finally surpass Romo in some category of January stats, the stats that matter most

They can't both be 2-4 in playoffs forever. As funny as that would be. His destiny, I'm told, is either better or worse

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

shyduck posted:

They should play the Giants more often

The Giants have a pretty decent defense. They're not top half in the league in anything but they play hard and blitz well. Okereke is playing like the second best LB in the league right now and Dexter is still a top DT. The secondary is okay for what it is. Adoree has always been overrated, Banks is having a decent year for a rookie, McKinney and Pinnock are whatever. Kayvon might actually be good, he's definitely league average now.

They're not world beaters but they're not a walk in the park per se. It's weird, the Giants finally dominate in possession in a down year and the defense has plenty of time to rest and look good for once. The problem is they're getting a ton of hurries but no sacks. They blitz the second most in the league behind crazy rear end Brian Flores but have half the sacks. They just can't get there either through bad luck or whatever. They also have no takeaways. 10 on the year over 10 games isn't going to cut it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

The problem is they're getting a ton of hurries but no sacks. They blitz the second most in the league behind crazy rear end Brian Flores but have half the sacks. They just can't get there either through bad luck or whatever. They also have no takeaways. 10 on the year over 10 games isn't going to cut it.

They play too much man, and rely on disguise in coverage to get picks I think.

Just flood the zone and let your big dogs up front eat, imo

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

biceps crimes posted:

Otherwise it'll just be "gently caress the cowboys"

As it should be. gently caress the Cowboys

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Black Lighter posted:

seeing eagles and giants posters post this is like me opening my window curtains in the middle of the day and seeing sunlight

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

They play too much man, and rely on disguise in coverage to get picks I think.

Just flood the zone and let your big dogs up front eat, imo

They need another pass rusher I think. The Eagles have similar play calls with crushing A gap blitz's behind Jordan Davis and we can do that with Dexter Lawrence but in order for that to work you really need both sides of the pocket collapsing. The problem with the Giants too is that this play style fucks up their run defense and they don't exactly have big LBs to stop that. They also rely on loading the side that Dexter Lawrence is on so teams know where the blitz is probably coming from and can deal with it despite all the hurries the Giants are getting.

INTs are a huge combination of luck, playing against a bad QB, and getting the pass rush in there on time and the Giants seem to be missing the first two a lot.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
i've got an A gap u can blitz ~ :corrupt:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

biceps crimes posted:

a signature win over a contender in a key game.

yeah - that's the bar. as a quarterback you aren't a winner, aren't poo poo really, if you can't clear it ~2/5 times. Herbert has yet to, Purdy and Tua are in the same boat, and even Josh Allen gets this same scrutiny over his playoff performances

potentially worth noting that Dak has been a starter longer than all those guys

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Black Lighter posted:

gently caress the Cowboys!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

indigi posted:

yeah - that's the bar. as a quarterback you aren't a winner, aren't poo poo really

turn it into its own column in the stat nerd spreadsheets. Sort it and you’ll probably get pretty close to the list of greatest all time QBs. Eli is probably high in that stat despite being middling elsewhere

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah Eli is a winner and HOFer

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

blarzgh posted:

So weird

So, Dak's first MVP season will be this year.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

biceps crimes posted:

a signature win over a contender in a key game

Like murdering Tom Brady and the #4 passing defense in the NFL, in Tampa, and going 9 - 3 during the regular season against Playoff teams across 2022 and 2023?

Look, when people say, "can he win" what they mean is, "Has he won a superbowl yet?"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ayudo posted:

So, Dak's first MVP season will be this year.

Unlikely as long as Mahomes has at least one arm (left or right, he could probably do with either.)

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
never forget that brady's nfl career ended with a cowboy rear end whooping

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

blarzgh posted:

Look, when people say, "can he win" what they mean is, "Has he won a superbowl yet?"

Can he even make it to the NFC Championship game

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Can he even make it to the NFC Championship game

Lots of worse QBs have over the years.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

blarzgh posted:

Like murdering Tom Brady and the #4 passing defense in the NFL, in Tampa

no, not like that, and you know it. 2021 Todd Bowles Tampa as a "contender" lol cmon son

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Daniel Jones beat a strong contender in the 2022 playoffs, defeating the vaunted 13-4 Kirk Cousins Vikings

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Unlikely as long as Mahomes has at least one arm (left or right, he could probably do with either.)

I was curious what it would take for Dak to win MVP, and just looking back to 2018, it generally takes four things:

Win 12 or more games and be within 1 win of the best record,
Score 500 or more points,
Win your division and,
Secure the 1 seed in your conference.

The only exception was Rodgers in '21, where Tampa scored 500+ points, but GB held the top seed with only 450 points.

Hurts should really be considered the front runner given their inside track to the 1 seed and record, not Mahomes. Dak could still do it though!

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 13, 2023

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i'm sorry but when you've been in the league as long as dak has — and you're as talented as dak and the cowboys are — the idea of a wild card round victory over a go-nowhere buccaneers team being A Signature Win is just loving laughable

if he'd won handily the week after that? against that niners team? signature win. no doubt. instead he poo poo himself and lost — once again — in hilarious fashion.

edit: like i try to be fair to the guy, because i like him, but come on now

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 13, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I will say that for Dak’s entire career, his head coaches have been trash, which tends to matter quite a bit in the playoffs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fully agree

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think we can all agree he’s very good passer if you ignore the interceptions.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dak is par for the course with interceptions. 15 is his highest season total, and while that's not great it's also not an absurd amount.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes that’s my point

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

If you're good enough you can mitigate the impact of turnovers. Dallas still finished as a top 5 offense last year and they're a top 5 offense this year with Big Mike and Brian Schottenheimer running the show.

Not many guys can do that!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What does that mean “top 5 offense”

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the 2023 cowboys are one of the top 5 teams to offend me this year

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I think we can all agree he’s very good passer if you ignore the interceptions.

Dak has 1 interception for every 2.59 touchdowns; that puts him 9th, all-time in the NFL for qualified passers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is certainly an important quotient

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think it’s important to remember that Dak really is out there doing his job - giving Cowboys fans false hope so they can later be properly hurt. God’s plan

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Diqnol posted:

I think it’s important to remember that Dak really is out there doing his job - giving Cowboys fans false hope so they can later be properly hurt. God’s plan

:prayer hands: Amen Brother

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

That is certainly an important quotient

if only 8 other people did it better in NFL history, I'd say its fair to call him "a very good passer" whether or not you consider the interceptions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is your quotient touchdowns or passes that result in touchdowns

It’s ambiguous

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If it’s just for some reason passing “touchdowns” do the stat with touchdowns and interceptions. That would be more relevant

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Here are the current leaders in the newer ESPN QBR stat, and also in the older Passer Rating stat.

Discuss.

Edited to add the all-time top QBR seasons, since they started keeping this stat in 2006. Thread favorite Carson Wentz coming in at #19!

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 14, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
QBR is EPA divided by "action plays" which is any play they deem as more important than normal downs and it makes me angry how bad of a stat it is but that will trigger Blarzgh from his slumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nobody in history has done a better buttfumble than Mark Sanchez. Mark Sanchez is the best quarterback