Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Eric the Mauve posted:

They do all take like 3 weeks off in December in Sweden though right? Pretty sure I remember this because 10 years ago Paradox released a patch for Crusader Kings 2 in early December which completely broke the game and then hosed off for 3 weeks.

Ah, the Fatshark development style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Really disappointing mods are out into the future.
I haven't been playing too much cause I was really hoping mods were coming out much sooner. I want to make real pretty cities and spend hours detailing parts and I just can't with the current tools and assest.

I can understand with how bugged and performance issue the game is releasing mods will probably just break it more. So hope things are fixed and improved a bunch

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This sounds like it should have been an Early Access release.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

This sounds like it should have been an Early Access release.
Real fans know Paradox titles are always Early Access, even when they're just the publisher.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

They do all take like 3 weeks off in December in Sweden though right? Pretty sure I remember this because 10 years ago Paradox released a patch for Crusader Kings 2 in early December which completely broke the game and then hosed off for 3 weeks.

They did that for Stellaris too. Probably more than once by now actually.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly, i'm mostly fine with how its going. The bug fixing is nice (and should continue) but it's really handy that for the non-working systems i could just... not build them and the game would bring in stuff from off map to deal with it.

I did take an entire map to realise what the gently caress development points were though. Turned off the tutorial really early because it was overbearing and then was wondering why nothing was unlocking even though i'd filled up 15 tiles.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Cool trick I saw on youtube last night. If you want to add some large areas of flat concrete yards to your industrial areas you can throw in the stone quarry building and use it’s area tool to fill in open space. As long as you dont make them to big they wont spawn all the crazy excavators.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I just want terraforming tools to be able to add/remove water without having to play canaldigger simulator

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

I just want terraforming tools to be able to add/remove water without having to play canaldigger simulator redo everything because you accidentally built a skyscraper of dirt with one click

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wish they'd just release the mod platform first. Most people aren't going to use the editor anyway, we just want buildings to download.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Bus driver strike? This is funny one, but it's killing my city and reloading doesn't fix it. It won't let me move the station either. And there's no way I'm deleting that bus station and rebuilding all those lines.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
They should release a series of tips for this game and call it "city guidelines"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RadioDog posted:

Bus driver strike? This is funny one, but it's killing my city and reloading doesn't fix it. It won't let me move the station either. And there's no way I'm deleting that bus station and rebuilding all those lines.
My guess is he’s trying to do a U-turn.

Related, I found out yesterday if you have a traffic accident in a roundabout with four roads intersecting it, you better hope the authorities get there before traffic backs up or they’ll just wait in line forever with everyone else.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
In an effort to alleviate the crisis, I of course started building additional depots and adding busses to the lines, hoping it would somehow break free.

Now a not-insignificant part of my populace appears to be trapped on a bus.

People have started to converge on the bus station, either in solidarity with their trapped colleagues, or perhaps to demand I release their captive family members.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been in this situation before in China. The driver refused to let us out but after a couple hours trapped everyone staged a revolt and managed to team up to rip the doors open so we could escape.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Is the issue those busses trying to exit? Can you add a stoplight with the ped crossing tool?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been in this situation before in China. The driver refused to let us out but after a couple hours trapped everyone staged a revolt and managed to team up to rip the doors open so we could escape.

...it took a few hours for that to happen?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Wish they'd just release the mod platform first. Most people aren't going to use the editor anyway, we just want buildings to download.

there won't be buildings without the editor, though. it seems like CO wants the asset packs to be made with the in game editor rather than whatever unity tools they used to implement the ones in the vanilla game.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Count Roland posted:

...it took a few hours for that to happen?

The traffic lights in my tiny town bugged out and one of the directions never got a green light. There was a guy who waited thirty minutes to never make his left.

The guy warned me the light wouldn't change and I was like no kidding brother I'm running this bitch in the half seconds everyone has red between changes.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Cygni posted:

Is the issue those busses trying to exit? Can you add a stoplight with the ped crossing tool?

I just ended up deleting the road. It despawned everything immediately, and dropped all the passengers on the street so for a minute or so my city dropped to a crawl.

It is pretty fun once you get a city built up and stable just watching the traffic cycle through. Is it just me or does movement actually slow down, the bigger your city gets. And not just low fps stutter slow like I'd expect but like slow motion slow, so I have to use the >>> to get things moving normal speed again?

They get the rough edges smoothed out this could be really fun. Watching at night I think I saw all the lights brown out in my city - I don't know if that's a thing or a glitch.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

corona familiar posted:

this game should double down on representing media. get rid of demand bars and replace them with op-ed articles in different publications lamenting the situation du jour. the articles could invent characters representing interest groups and you could implicitly support or ignore them by your actions

they could even use a local language model to randomly generate the article text! buzzwords!

Merge this with a Local Newspaper signature building, profitability determined by amount of subscribers and local companies. Subscribers would be based on having at least, the second tier of education, being an adult and having an income that has margin for it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

On one hand the asset packs being months out makes me not want to play right now.

On the other hand it does mean I can start a new city without worrying that I’ll want to restart in a few weeks.

This game is in such a weird state. I love a lot of it and everything it does when it’s succeeding, but the parts that stink really stink.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thankfully I am slow at playing games and also usually playing ~6 different ones at the same time so by the time I get very far into this most of the issues will be ironed out and new assets released.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

RadioDog posted:

It is pretty fun once you get a city built up and stable just watching the traffic cycle through. Is it just me or does movement actually slow down, the bigger your city gets. And not just low fps stutter slow like I'd expect but like slow motion slow, so I have to use the >>> to get things moving normal speed again?

My city on 3x speed ticks an in game “minute” every real life second now at 122k pop. Kind of annoying.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

My city on 3x speed ticks an in game “minute” every real life second now at 122k pop. Kind of annoying.

There is a setting that can tip this toward fps vs simulation speed. I’ve never seen if it works though.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Cities Skylines 1 did the same thing at certain sizes depending on your hardware. I don't know where the trip point is, but for me in Cities Skylines 2 its around 140k people 3x speed starts going at 1x speed.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

MONTHS???

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is it even possible to get a level 5 high residential building? I'm sitting at 0 after countless hours ingame. Taxes are at 4%, utilities at 50% in the hopes my cims have some extra pocket change to level up their buildings but nothing.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Cutting your utilities to 50% is gonna make it way less likely as that will directly reduce happiness. You need to find a way to keep your budget positive, cut res taxes to nil, and boost your services sliders to improve their bonuses.

So far the best way ive found to do this is drop geothermal plants all over the place and make bank exporting gigawatts of power to outside connections.

Also, tax the gently caress out of commercial because nothing I do seems to phase their demand bar whatsoever.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Cutting your utilities to 50% is gonna make it way less likely as that will directly reduce happiness. You need to find a way to keep your budget positive, cut res taxes to nil, and boost your services sliders to improve their bonuses.

So far the best way ive found to do this is drop geothermal plants all over the place and make bank exporting gigawatts of power to outside connections.

Also, tax the gently caress out of commercial because nothing I do seems to phase their demand bar whatsoever.

I think he means he is cutting the utility cost to cims by 50%. I have not been able to generate lvl 5 res at all either but I haven't played in a few weeks and probably won't until they fix the cargo economy that is still broken.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Yes its this^

I have 100 million c bucks so money is not an issue at all.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This game is in such a weird state. I love a lot of it and everything it does when it’s succeeding, but the parts that stink really stink.

Yeah, many improvements mixed with a bunch of incomprehensible decisions, even when ignoring bugs.

The thing I hate most so far is that they didn't fix the way cells generate next to roads compared to CS1. In fact I think they made it worse, with lots of places where you can't place buildings for stupid reasons and annoying breaks in the cells unless you work with a perfect grid (and even then!). This is probably caused by the greater freedom in road placement but it's incredibly frustrating to me. At least let me tell the game to prioritize a different road for cell placement without making me delete the earlier road or something.

Close second is that I feel they made parks way worse than even vanilla CS1, you can't integrate them with the natural environment because of the different grass color. Also that you can't connect them to pedestrian paths at all, which is just... well, incomprehensible to me. Also that parks, sports fields etc. aren't animated at all.

Then there is the lack of bycicles, I loved building extensive biking infrastructure.

I also hate the huge-rear end train and subway depot buildings that are annoying to have to build and just get dumped at the edge of the city somewhere, but I guess that might be a matter of preference.

Martian fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 14, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Not being able to save your own blueprints for intersections and stuff like in CS1 is just criminal

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's way too easy to accidentally get two roads ever so slightly misaligned and then you lose a cell of zoning because they're at 90.01 degrees to each other.
But at least you can turn off snapping for plopped buildings and place them anywhere, at any rotation, and connect to any road anywhere.

It's odd that when making train and bus routes to neighboring cities, the other cities don't contribute any vehicles to the routes. The only "transit" vehicles that are sent from other cities are the taxis.

Keep in mind that you can use pedestrian paths to block off the zoning from one road and force another road to get priority for its zoning cells. It's still a stupid workaround, but it's easier than demolishing and rebuilding roads.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Keep in mind that you can use pedestrian paths to block off the zoning from one road and force another road to get priority for its zoning cells. It's still a stupid workaround, but it's easier than demolishing and rebuilding roads.

That's a good tip, I'll try that tonight. Thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When you make a transit route that goes to a neighboring city, you can (sometimes have to) send it out on one road/track and come back on another, e.g. one-way highway pieces. Can you send a vehicle out on one edge and have it come back from a different edge? Or how about sending out on one corner and come back from the other corner on the same edge? If you do that, does the vehicle "teleport" or does it still have travel time before coming back in?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Martian posted:

I also hate the huge-rear end train and subway depot buildings that are annoying to have to build and just get dumped at the edge of the city somewhere, but I guess that might be a matter of preference.

Nah it's just weird that those are hard requirements. Maybe add an extra maint cost or something, but you should absolutely be able to 'import' trains from off-map depots for your lines.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Why do I even need to make a line and railyard for neighbouring train connections? Let them come to me, use your own trains you cheapskates.

Related: Can you make "new" train connections to neighbouring cities on maps that don' t have one yet? There's already a highway connection but no rail.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

nielsm posted:

It's way too easy to accidentally get two roads ever so slightly misaligned and then you lose a cell of zoning because they're at 90.01 degrees to each other.
But at least you can turn off snapping for plopped buildings and place them anywhere, at any rotation, and connect to any road anywhere.

It's odd that when making train and bus routes to neighboring cities, the other cities don't contribute any vehicles to the routes. The only "transit" vehicles that are sent from other cities are the taxis.

I get a bunch of busses from other cities. They're just all thru traffic, and all like to ignore the bypass and cruise directly through downtown. :saddowns:

Fishstick posted:

Why do I even need to make a line and railyard for neighbouring train connections? Let them come to me, use your own trains you cheapskates.

Related: Can you make "new" train connections to neighbouring cities on maps that don' t have one yet? There's already a highway connection but no rail.

Yeah, but only when you get out to the "true" border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bit more info from the CEO on the editor delays:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-3.1609760/post-29260665 posted:

Thanks for all the feedback and apologies for not having time yesterday to write answers to your questions! I see some already answered so I'll just write a summary that hopefully answers at least some of the concerns raised.

You have the right to feel disappointed for the Editor not being already available. We have no intention to delay its release more than necessary. The asset import feature (where a user imports an asset created in a 3D modeling software to the game) is severely delayed due to various technical issues related to it and given it's mid November now we have zero chance of getting it ready before the Christmas break. When it comes to the map editor we'll see if it can be released before the asset import is ready. Regardless of when the Editor is released it is planned to be supported and improved upon based on the feedback from the creators and modders using it. The delay is most unfortunate but we are doing our best to getting the Editor out as soon as possible.

Gameplay issues are being actively worked on and we've been also looking into some pathfinding errors. Some bugs take longer to fix than others and it would cause added stress to try and keep a specific cadence so at no point have we committed to one. Since we've had weekly patches thus far I found it best to warn that it's not to be expected in the future, with the sole purpose of trying to manage expectations. While the patch cadence is expected to be longer going forward it doesn't mean we have stopped working on bugfixes.

We are also working on the performance not only because it's necessary for the console release but also for PC platforms to allow the creation of huge cities. I'm sensing that most are actually able to play with acceptable performance level if it starts to feel like we should be focusing on the other things more, but we are internally not satisfied with the current situation and will keep working on improving the performance until we are.

I will keep bringing you news every week, hopefully good ones but we must be able to discuss setbacks as well, if more occur. For those wanting to leave the game behind, I fully understand and respect that and I hope you will find your way back again later in time. We're not going anywhere.