Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I feel like that was the plan and no one wanted to watch that so they made the Ori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I feel like that was the plan and no one wanted to watch that so they made the Ori.

I'd watch it!

I mean realistically that's going to be the dominant politics in the galaxy - Jaffa politics. But also, there's still plenty of Goa'uld out there, just not the System Lords, so they are a factor. Then you got folks who show up out of nowhere, like the Lucian Alliance.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dealing with the aftermath of a Jaffa-dominant galaxy and the remnant Goa'uld might have dovetailed with the public revealing of the Stargate program, it's hard to tell where that was all ultimately going in an alternate timeline where SG-1 ends in season six or seven with the Lost City movie or the "Stargate goes public" movie after Continuum gets made.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I actually hate the Lucian alliance just for a) how it comes out of nowhere (there's no good establishing episode for them??) and b) a lot of other things my brain is blanking on aa

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I actually hate the Lucian alliance just for a) how it comes out of nowhere (there's no good establishing episode for them??) and b) a lot of other things my brain is blanking on aa

Due to the way I watch, I often feel like I missed something, and the Lucian Alliance was the best example. Felt like I missed a whole season - who were these guys again? How they'd get all the Goa'uld mother ships?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

Due to the way I watch, I often feel like I missed something, and the Lucian Alliance was the best example. Felt like I missed a whole season - who were these guys again? How they'd get all the Goa'uld mother ships?

I always felt that they were trying to figure that out and the plot thread just dropped when the Ori came. Like the plan was infiltrate the alliance and do Jaffa politics until canceled and have mostly self contained adventures and like syfy said no tie it to Atlantis.

e: something about space corn that was like space drugs that they used to force people to do things with addiction?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

redshirt posted:

The Lucian Alliance was kind of explained when Vala showed back up. Basically the people who would do smuggling and nefarious poo poo when the Goa'uld were around banded together after they left to form a power block. Again it makes sense if the Jaffa politics was going to be the main storyline - you have the free Jaffa nation vs. the evil smugglers. But then the Ori

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
finally had time to watch some more episodes.

i feel it was extremely out of character for jack to accept a tokra symbiote to save his life from the frozen ancient plague. we did get a really good jack episode out of it though. i dont like daniel being a force ghost who is all ide love to help you i cant though. also i finally saw baal so now i think ive seen all the gouald. gonna watch a few more right after i make lunch.

also the immunitech cloned baby symbiote take over was kinda cool. i hope the immunitech nerds keep having episodes doing dumb poo poo w/ that symbiote they have.

also the naqadriah induced schizophrenia episode was painful for personal reasons. esp the ending where lucas lies to the professor and indugles in his hallucination but in that episode it had some dumb rear end poo poo with the negotiations. when terraria amassed on the northern border but didnt break off diplomatic relations its like bro you know how that poo poo works it means they are attacking this isnt a loving civ game.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Have to say, season 5 started pretty uneven. You start strong with an Apophis dies episode, but then there's a weaker "Teal'c Brainwashed" episode, then "Sam's Ascended Stalker" episode, which for me is one of the worst of the show, then "The Fifth Man" which is OK but back to back episodes had Sam being not trusted at the SGC and I didn't like it. Then "Red Sky" which is pretty good but that dickhead religious guy pissed me off so left a bad taste in my mouth.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

finally had time to watch some more episodes.

i feel it was extremely out of character for jack to accept a tokra symbiote to save his life from the frozen ancient plague. we did get a really good jack episode out of it though. i dont like daniel being a force ghost who is all ide love to help you i cant though. also i finally saw baal so now i think ive seen all the gouald. gonna watch a few more right after i make lunch.

also the immunitech cloned baby symbiote take over was kinda cool. i hope the immunitech nerds keep having episodes doing dumb poo poo w/ that symbiote they have.

also the naqadriah induced schizophrenia episode was painful for personal reasons. esp the ending where lucas lies to the professor and indugles in his hallucination but in that episode it had some dumb rear end poo poo with the negotiations. when terraria amassed on the northern border but didnt break off diplomatic relations its like bro you know how that poo poo works it means they are attacking this isnt a loving civ game.

How are you watching by the way? Streaming or media?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

How are you watching by the way? Streaming or media?

amazon has all the seasons so im borrowing my brothers pw to watch this.

got a few more in im starting to like the not guys from earth thing tealc and the other guy have

redshirt posted:

Have to say, season 5 started pretty uneven. You start strong with an Apophis dies episode, but then there's a weaker "Teal'c Brainwashed" episode, then "Sam's Ascended Stalker" episode, which for me is one of the worst of the show, then "The Fifth Man" which is OK but back to back episodes had Sam being not trusted at the SGC and I didn't like it. Then "Red Sky" which is pretty good but that dickhead religious guy pissed me off so left a bad taste in my mouth.

i agree that tealc brainwashing and sams ascended stalker are weak episodes and stalker is in my bottom 3 for sure. tealc brain washing is maybe bottom 10. there will have to be a steep decline for any of my bottom 3 to change. like dune chapterhouse levels of fall off.

was red sky the one with the space ship terraforming the planet sg1 just relocated the aztec ruins people to?

snergle fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 13, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Red Sky is the one where the wormhole goes through a planet's sun and redshifts it. The episode has a red hue applied to show this

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Well gang I've started watching SG-1. I have seen the movie and a few episodes of Atlantis, but I basically know nothing about SG-1 but for what I've skimmed across in this thread or what my neighbor has told me.

Episode 1, Part 1: "Children of the Gods" - Wow, there's a way higher body count than I thought there was going to be. Didn't realize the dude with the gold thing on his face was a bad guy.
Episode 1, Part 2: "The Enemy Within" - The second part of the first episode, technically, I think? Whenever I read Teal'C's name, I read it as "Teal-C" or what kind of sounds like, "TLC". Poor Kowalski :( Why do so many army outfits have a guy named Kowalski?

This show is in that perfect awful spot where CG is new and doable but not yet good, where television can be more theatrical and serialized but not yet at a Sopranos like level.

The party of four forming could have been taken right from any D&D session, I love it.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

credburn posted:

Well gang I've started watching SG-1. I have seen the movie and a few episodes of Atlantis, but I basically know nothing about SG-1 but for what I've skimmed across in this thread or what my neighbor has told me.

Episode 1, Part 1: "Children of the Gods" - Wow, there's a way higher body count than I thought there was going to be. Didn't realize the dude with the gold thing on his face was a bad guy.
Episode 1, Part 2: "The Enemy Within" - The second part of the first episode, technically, I think? Whenever I read Teal'C's name, I read it as "Teal-C" or what kind of sounds like, "TLC". Poor Kowalski :( Why do so many army outfits have a guy named Kowalski?

This show is in that perfect awful spot where CG is new and doable but not yet good, where television can be more theatrical and serialized but not yet at a Sopranos like level.

The party of four forming could have been taken right from any D&D session, I love it.

Teal'c. Always with an apostrophe, my friend

Also, s1e3 - Emancipation - is by far the worst episodes of the entire franchise. Feel free to skip, but if you do watch it - don't feel like it's a representation of anything.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

credburn posted:

Welcome to the SGC!

What are your feelings about spoilers in this thread?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ripple Effect is a fun episode, the alternate universe ones always are. It also gives us some fun dynamics

Mitchell interviews Daniel who is being cautious about the whole thing - "there's also a Plan C" - and generally a bit prickly

Landry interviews Mitchell who rightly points out that there have been missions where SG-1 have found themselves in similar situations, because he read up on all the files before joining

Teal'C gives Daniel absolutely everything he wants to know

Sam and Sam figure it out in a couple of seconds.

Then we get more SG teams!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Ripple Effect is a fun episode, the alternate universe ones always are. It also gives us some fun dynamics

Mitchell interviews Daniel who is being cautious about the whole thing - "there's also a Plan C" - and generally a bit prickly

Landry interviews Mitchell who rightly points out that there have been missions where SG-1 have found themselves in similar situations, because he read up on all the files before joining

Teal'C gives Daniel absolutely everything he wants to know

Sam and Sam figure it out in a couple of seconds.

Then we get more SG teams!

"Sam and Sam" is one of the working titles of my fanfiction. ;)

Also, the Tollan are freaking dweebs.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

"Sam and Sam" is one of the working titles of my fanfiction. ;)

Hey, it's one of Jack's fanfictions as well.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

redshirt posted:

Welcome to the SGC!

What are your feelings about spoilers in this thread?

Ah spoil'em! I'm having fun with the show and probably have already had things spoiled I don't even know, yet.

What's with Amazon's weird episode descriptions?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

credburn posted:

Ah spoil'em! I'm having fun with the show and probably have already had things spoiled I don't even know, yet.

What's with Amazon's weird episode descriptions?

Jack: "Oh, here we go..."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The women there are treated as property for equality's sake and Sam has to fight love, what's the problem?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
shavadai :mad:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

crispix posted:

shavadai :mad:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LET THEM FIGHT

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That episode would've been a thousand times better if it was about a brutal martial arts tournament instead

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

McSpanky posted:

That episode would've been a thousand times better if it was about a brutal martial arts tournament instead

I mean, that's just true of every episode of television ever made.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

After thinking about it a bit, I'm gonna say that the worst episode of SG1 is not that one (above), but IMO season 5 episode "Ascension".

This is the one where the Ascended ancient follows Sam back through the gate, invisibly, and then stalks her. Nobody believes Carter, they surveil her, she has to goto a psych eval, it's insulting. They give her no benefit of the doubt, very out of character. Sam herself though also makes some bad decisions (which realistically could have gotten her in big trouble). And then just the sleepy energy of ancient stalker.

Its still a watchable episode. Just felt out of character for everyone.

It does have the superb moment of Jack and Teal'c showing up at Carter's to watch Star Wars, and Teal's wearing his cowboy outfit. And later suggests they go watch some jello wrestling.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Budget Khal Drogo?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah i will say one thing for emancipation, that the planet toronto kind of vibe helps it work better than some of the bad mid-late season clunkers in sg1 but it's still a pretty bleh episode.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

One episode that always sticks out to me and no one ever talks about is the one where everyone is painted white and sing to the plants. It's just so different from anything else.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

One episode that always sticks out to me and no one ever talks about is the one where everyone is painted white and sing to the plants. It's just so different from anything else.

That's a contender for the worst. I like it though, it's a weird sci-fi story.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

After thinking about it a bit, I'm gonna say that the worst episode of SG1 is not that one (above), but IMO season 5 episode "Ascension".

This is the one where the Ascended ancient follows Sam back through the gate, invisibly, and then stalks her. Nobody believes Carter, they surveil her, she has to goto a psych eval, it's insulting. They give her no benefit of the doubt, very out of character. Sam herself though also makes some bad decisions (which realistically could have gotten her in big trouble). And then just the sleepy energy of ancient stalker.

It does have the superb moment of Jack and Teal'c showing up at Carter's to watch Star Wars, and Teal's wearing his cowboy outfit. And later suggests they go watch some jello wrestling.

Yeah, it's a pretty bad episode. Don't know what they were thinking with Sam and the various creepy aliens that hit on her. She never just meets somebody in a believable way. It's always "Here, let me upload my thoughts and feelings directly into your brain! :)" (i.e. I'm going to simulate feelings you don't actually have so you'll like me). That's even true for Narim, the least creepy one.

pixaal posted:

Budget Khal Drogo?

You take that back! :mad:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

I've mentioned before but it's one of a group of episodes where the premise is "weird thing happens to a member of SG-1 and despite literally everything that has happened nobody will even pretend to believe them". The weird dimension shifting aliens episode with Jonas Quinn is another one.

To be honest you could probably group all SG-1 episodes into a small number of categories. "SG-1 arrive on a planet and fundamentally misunderstand the situation", "SG-1 find something weird and literally cannot help themselves from touching/injesting/licking it", "Goa'uld discovered one weird trick to stop SG-1" etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Do we have enough for "weird bug who is not a goa'uld snake infests somebody"? There's the one where Teal'c makes friends with a small child, the goo worms that give people schizophrenia, arguably the sphere that spears Jack to the wall of the gateroom, any others? Carter gets a computer virus in her brain in one episode?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would argue that Urgo should count, though in that case it's all of them. And the bug guys with the shapeshifter technology who string everyone from the rafters and then impersonate them.

EvilHawk posted:

I've mentioned before but it's one of a group of episodes where the premise is "weird thing happens to a member of SG-1 and despite literally everything that has happened nobody will even pretend to believe them". The weird dimension shifting aliens episode with Jonas Quinn is another one.

One of the big strengths of the time loop episode IMO, everyone very rapidly goes to "yeah okay you say this is happening, let's deal with it"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Rappaport posted:

Do we have enough for "weird bug who is not a goa'uld snake infests somebody"? There's the one where Teal'c makes friends with a small child, the goo worms that give people schizophrenia, arguably the sphere that spears Jack to the wall of the gateroom, any others? Carter gets a computer virus in her brain in one episode?

The season 9 episode with the scarab-type bugs that are carnivorous and use echolocation (I just watched that episode and I hate it)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The super-aging nanites from the first season? And the disease that turned people into cavemen, also first season. Man, they were really speedrunning the standby tropes there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The key category of “falling on the flowers” or “pulling a wesley crusher” is over represented in the first few seasons. Oh no, sg1 has offended the locals arbitrary and weird rules. Time to argue/p90 their way out!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

The season 9 episode with the scarab-type bugs that are carnivorous and use echolocation (I just watched that episode and I hate it)

There's also the moon with the yellow will'o'wisps, but they just murder people instead of infesting them. I think it's also the episode that introduces Sam's protege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The Ergo episode was very strange to watch since I had recently watched the Munchie episode of MST3K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9mxYOi6wmo