Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My cash flow has increased considerably now that I can do 3 commissions at once.

I wonder who this person sending me anonymous letters is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sydin posted:

S&S provides some extra defense which is completely irrelevant because you can just spam healing items from the quickbar instantly and forever.

What the shield does is stop your defense getting broken and hence stops you getting knocked over and being unable to attack until you recover

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The sword and shield has such a weird starter / bad tracking that I never used it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
GSword's spin is so goofy that I can't give it up. Helps it has good AoE.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol, instantly guessed who took Mi-an's license.

Edit: What the heck, failed this yellow (or green, I'm colorblind) mission Yan gave me to fix a window because it expired the night he gave it to me. I actually fixed the drat window (after having to wait to craft the materials), but his office was closed so I couldn't turn it in. Waste of materials!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 13, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That is a bit silly, but at least you don't miss out on anything really. It was a main mission though, but none of importance.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I think the Blessing in Disguise quest bugged on me, it's not letting me in Arvio's home at 19:00 even with the mask on :(

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

lol, instantly guessed who took Mi-an's license.

Edit: What the heck, failed this yellow (or green, I'm colorblind) mission Yan gave me to fix a window because it expired the night he gave it to me. I actually fixed the drat window (after having to wait to craft the materials), but his office was closed so I couldn't turn it in. Waste of materials!

Good move, always gently caress Yan over.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is there any way to commission someone to gather copper/tin or do I need to just buy from salvage/smith or run the early game mine over and over.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is there any way to commission someone to gather copper/tin or do I need to just buy from salvage/smith or run the early game mine over and over.

Once you unlock the 2nd ruin you can commission eufala salvage shortly after to bring you scrap (which expands to act 3 scrap eventually)
Once you unlock the 3rd ruin you can shortly after get a contract for raw ore from several tiers.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A Sometimes Food posted:

You can buy a few copper bars from Hugo (the smith). Not enough to supply all needs, but it can help if you’re short of copper.

Mostly the game seems to expect you to run the early game mine a ton.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 13, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
please also do refine all your tools to the maximum level, it makes quite the impact to how fast you can do your stuff.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

please also do refine all your tools to the maximum level, it makes quite the impact to how fast you can do your stuff.

Is there a way to upgrade tools to the next tier? Like bronze-> iron or do you have to remake them and gather mats to refine them all over again?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
no, you have to remake them. they don't take all that many resources though in the scheme of things

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What should I do with the tools I'm not using due to upgrading? Gift them? Same question for clothes. Should I store those just to keep them available as visual options?

Also, is it a problem to ignore gifting for now? I imagine it'll be easier later once I have higher-tier stuff and can freely buy things without caring much about money. I'm still talking to people any time I see them and fulfilling these wishes that just started popping up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ytlaya posted:

What should I do with the tools I'm not using due to upgrading? Gift them? Same question for clothes. Should I store those just to keep them available as visual options?

Also, is it a problem to ignore gifting for now? I imagine it'll be easier later once I have higher-tier stuff and can freely buy things without caring much about money. I'm still talking to people any time I see them and fulfilling these wishes that just started popping up.

They belong in a museum! (In all seriousness, you can donate them to the museum and you do get rewards based on donating stuff, so it's not a bad call to do so. Stuff that can be donated states what type of exhibit it fits in on the tooltip)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mi-An accepts used tools as gifts.

Sloober posted:

no, you have to remake them. they don't take all that many resources though in the scheme of things

Thanks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

They belong in a museum! (In all seriousness, you can donate them to the museum and you do get rewards based on donating stuff, so it's not a bad call to do so. Stuff that can be donated states what type of exhibit it fits in on the tooltip)

Speaking of the museum, do the artifact parts respawn in the ruins? I haven't seen any little yellow triangles while scanning in the areas I've ever visited, but I'm missing a couple artifact parts that I think only show up in the earlier areas.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of the museum, do the artifact parts respawn in the ruins? I haven't seen any little yellow triangles while scanning in the areas I've ever visited, but I'm missing a couple artifact parts that I think only show up in the earlier areas.

You can reset the floors for a bunch of gols on the ruins entrance screen.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

They respawn when you reset floors; you’ll also get more than you know what to do with in salvage contracts. Please stop leaving bull head pieces at the foot of my bed, Rocky

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chami posted:

They respawn when you reset floors; you’ll also get more than you know what to do with in salvage contracts. Please stop leaving bull head pieces at the foot of my bed, Rocky

Ah, I'm guessing these contracts are revealed by a quest at some point? Don't have them yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pro salvage tip: as soon as the damaged robot starts appearing outside of the salvage yard, make sure to salvage it each day. It gives on guaranteed simple circuit, and it's really nice to have a stockpile because later on a lot of higher tier commissions have them in their recipe chain.

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I'm guessing these contracts are revealed by a quest at some point? Don't have them yet.
Yeah eventually you'll get a letter from Rocky (hard hat guy who runs the salvage shop) telling you that they're willing to start shipping you salvage under contract, at which point you can go into the salvage company office and interact with his desk which lets you pay gols to get daily shipments of scrap for the recyclers, as well as some power stones and relics. Then much later on they'll update you again saying you can also get shipments of ores dropped off as well.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

Catori also later promises to pay you in non-fungible arcade tokens in exchange for doing some repair work to one her arcade machines, and yes those are her exact words, not mine.

This is by the way after she's even managed to blow through Mi-an's good will, who very apologetically has to tell her that sorry but I cannot work for catoricoin anymore, no matter how much you insist it's going to the moon, next time you want work from me please pay for it via the guild and put it up on the commission board.

Sandrock does a great job with unlikable characters.

Honestly it's a big step up from Portia, I've found most of the character quests pretty fun.
I wasn't a huge fan of Burgess until I did the quest where you play the role of a Dewdrop Cop out to stop water wasters.

It's treated with so much goofy over the top seriousness, it almost feels like something out of an episode of Fillmore.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually laughed outloud when Elsie showed up in front of my house first thing in the morning after taking Mi-an's license, and the subsequent reveal that she asked her dad to deliver the letter, who delivered it to me specifically because she repeatedly emphasized not doing so and he just remembered hearing my name a lot. Also the letter's contents where she's like "my friend is TOO BUSY to play with me :mad:"

She is very amusingly immature. I came across a scene of her and Mi-an in the restaurant, where she was like "cookies are for children" and rationalizes that it's okay if she dips them in coffee.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah eventually you'll get a letter from Rocky (hard hat guy who runs the salvage shop) telling you that they're willing to start shipping you salvage under contract, at which point you can go into the salvage company office and interact with his desk which lets you pay gols to get daily shipments of scrap for the recyclers, as well as some power stones and relics. Then much later on they'll update you again saying you can also get shipments of ores dropped off as well.

As a heads up for this contract and any other similar contracts - the game's UI sort of lies to you.

Make a change to the contract (move the sliders around), then back out and open up the menu again. That'll tell you what changes actually went through. The UI doesn't update dynamically in some situations, so doing those steps will save you some headache.

Another useful thing to do is to zero everything, back out, then open the UI up again, and it'll be easier to set the values you want that way.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder who this person sending me anonymous letters is.

Tyler Durden

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Holy poo poo, this game is way bigger than I expected it to be. I thought everything was about wrapping up with the Duvos invasion, but it just keeps going.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

As a heads up for this contract and any other similar contracts - the game's UI sort of lies to you.

Make a change to the contract (move the sliders around), then back out and open up the menu again. That'll tell you what changes actually went through. The UI doesn't update dynamically in some situations, so doing those steps will save you some headache.

Another useful thing to do is to zero everything, back out, then open the UI up again, and it'll be easier to set the values you want that way.

What the heck, I didn’t realize this was a thing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Ytlaya posted:

I actually laughed outloud when Elsie showed up in front of my house first thing in the morning after taking Mi-an's license, and the subsequent reveal that she asked her dad to deliver the letter, who delivered it to me specifically because she repeatedly emphasized not doing so and he just remembered hearing my name a lot. Also the letter's contents where she's like "my friend is TOO BUSY to play with me :mad:"

She is very amusingly immature. I came across a scene of her and Mi-an in the restaurant, where she was like "cookies are for children" and rationalizes that it's okay if she dips them in coffee.

Elsie has a lot of amusing teenage angst. Pablo is pretty funny too, the tea party mission is great with all the gossiping.

Felt bad haggling with Owen about the Drool with Joy recipe.

Do we ever find out who the mysterious man is? He's also got a pretty funny voice.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Oh wow is the factory quite good. I saw people whining about it online, but the scrap that had been accumulating in my inventory is disappearing rapidly and being replaced with sweet (but outdated) resources. Also very convenient to order up whatever you need and just have it made in one central location without having to manually split up the queue.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Well, I feel like an idiot. Large Storage Boxes have two pages of storage each. That does explain why it was getting hard to find certain items.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, I feel like an idiot. Large Storage Boxes have two pages of storage each. That does explain why it was getting hard to find certain items.

Hahaha, don't feel bad, I built one put it down and couldn't figure out why it had the same amount of storage as a regular box.
I wrote it off as a bug and didn't build anymore for hours until I finally opened it up and saw that it had a second page.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The only downside of the factory IMO is that it ships the items to you that it makes instead of just dumping them into a grab box that it can pull from, like it did in Portia. I do like reclaiming all my land space though for the price of one room

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
space is only at a premium if you do cosmetic building projects or ranching, anyway.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Pulsarcat posted:

Hahaha, don't feel bad, I built one put it down and couldn't figure out why it had the same amount of storage as a regular box.
I wrote it off as a bug and didn't build anymore for hours until I finally opened it up and saw that it had a second page.

on this note I still can’t figure out how the various “put stuff in your inventory into a chest if there’s already some of the same thing there” buttons work. sometimes they do what I expect, sometimes they don’t. inscrutable

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nrook posted:

on this note I still can’t figure out how the various “put stuff in your inventory into a chest if there’s already some of the same thing there” buttons work. sometimes they do what I expect, sometimes they don’t. inscrutable

If they're on your hot bar (number showing in the top of the square) it won't pull them out of your inventory even if there is a match. Sort all on the right deposits to all storage, sort on the left deposits to the current chest only.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've come to the conclusion I have no idea how gift decay works. Unless maybe all "neutral" gifts are on the same decay timer but liked and loved gifts each have their own timer? Maybe. I'm not sure that would account for all the weird values I've seen but it would help.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Tyler Durden

Pretty dark if it turns out the protagonist is sending themselves letters to cope with their crippling boredom and loneliness.

No friends...only acquaintances and whatever type of sub-friend an "associate" is...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

I've come to the conclusion I have no idea how gift decay works. Unless maybe all "neutral" gifts are on the same decay timer but liked and loved gifts each have their own timer? Maybe. I'm not sure that would account for all the weird values I've seen but it would help.

There's variance with gifting, as far as I can tell. Not sure exactly what causes it, but the same piece of rice can give one of the cats +0, +1, +2, or +3 depending on the day and the alignment of the spheres.

Edit: Finally finalized my factory/greenhouse (though I might move the buildings to merge them with the actual house). I put 50 advanced water collectors on the roofs, so I'm effectively getting 50 water per day. It's complete overkill, but also amuses me since the builder can basically just give the finger to any water restrictions on the grounds that he's got excess production capacity.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I got a couple commissions that I didn't realize require Perfect things. I don't think this is possible for me right now? I made a Refiner, but it requires an item I haven't acquired yet (that I assume is the next tier of Quartz).

I respecced to get the skills that increase chance of higher quality Workshop items, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Tried crafting like 10 pots before reloading and not a single one was higher quality.

Guess I'm going to need to drop them, since I doubt I'll start getting the necessary item before the commission expires.

Edit: Jesus Christ, found this journal just talking about some Old World girl starving to death

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 14, 2023