Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Colonel posted:

zero and azure are pretty good you can play them if you want. but, stopping after cs2 to go back and play them, is not actually required for anyone but a superfan who was just playing the games as they came out in english. falcom did not write 13 jrpgs split into four arcs expecting people would buy the two newest games and then go back down to play the psp ones

One thing I'll say is that the ending of CS2 is extremely cool if you've played Zero/Azure and don't know what to expect. Probably one of the coolest moments in the entire franchise at the time I played it, even if it's probably not quite at that level in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

He also did the PS2 Mana game with Ryuichi Sakamoto lol

I was wondering why I hadn't known this despite being the one person that liked that game, but I guess his involvement was more minimal than the others.

https://vgmdb.net/album/3950

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Mana games seem beyond passé at this point. The last one that was pulled off with exceptional success was SD3 back in the Super Famicom days. I feel like everything since then has been pretty mid. The remade Trials was perhaps a step or so up from mid.

It would be nice to see a Mana game that plays more like a modern Y's game with mana series themes and elements mixed in.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
matters of taste and all, but for my money Legend of Mana is one of the best games on the PSX

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Legend of Mana is good.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

GateOfD posted:

After 2, go jump on Trails to Zero/Azure, then CSIII & IV

That was the plan I had, so no worries there.

The Colonel posted:

zero and azure are pretty good you can play them if you want. but, stopping after cs2 to go back and play them, is not actually required for anyone but a superfan who was just playing the games as they came out in english. falcom did not write 13 jrpgs split into four arcs expecting people would buy the two newest games and then go back down to play the psp ones

I know the Crossbell games take place concurrently with CS I and II and you hear about some of the events taking place, so I want to get the other side of the story before I get to CSIII.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Trials remake was a fun game system that was really held back by the extremely basic script of a classic SNES game.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Legend of Mana has an epic soundtrack. A couple themes get too many times, but otherwise insanely good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Draga posted:

That was the plan I had, so no worries there.

I know the Crossbell games take place concurrently with CS I and II and you hear about some of the events taking place, so I want to get the other side of the story before I get to CSIII.

Yea I think it’s a good way to not burn out on CS stuff as well and Trails is a nice style change

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TurnipFritter posted:

Legend of Mana is good.

I think what it is with me is there was a definite decline in jRPG-adjacent games around the end of the 90s.

I would say that Maybe 94-98 was essentially the absolute golden era for these types of games; you had S-tier games like Chrono Trigger, FF6+7, FF Tactics, SD3, Estpolis/Lufia 2, Grandia, Azel Panzer Dragoon Saga, Lunar EB, Phantasy Star IV, Star Ocean 1+2, the start of Tales. You could probably list off another dozen or so A-tier RPGs from that era, like Suikoden, Wild Arms, etc.

It started to come down really fast after that, so games like Legend of Mana and Legend of the Dragoon, which some people seem to love, were just mid by comparison.

I think Legend of Mana was all style, and no substance. It had an interesting world building experiment and some nice aesthetics, but the actual action game play was about as basic as it possibly could be. Running into enemies Ys1 style had more depth.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
:hmmno:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BabyRyoga posted:

I think what it is with me is there was a definite decline in jRPG-adjacent games around the end of the 90s.

I would say that Maybe 94-98 was essentially the absolute golden era for these types of games; you had S-tier games like Chrono Trigger, FF6+7, FF Tactics, SD3, Estpolis/Lufia 2, Grandia, Azel Panzer Dragoon Saga, Lunar EB, Phantasy Star IV, Star Ocean 1+2, the start of Tales. You could probably list off another dozen or so A-tier RPGs from that era, like Suikoden, Wild Arms, etc.

It started to come down really fast after that, so games like Legend of Mana and Legend of the Dragoon, which some people seem to love, were just mid by comparison.

I think Legend of Mana was all style, and no substance. It had an interesting world building experiment and some nice aesthetics, but the actual action game play was about as basic as it possibly could be. Running into enemies Ys1 style had more depth.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Rand Brittain posted:

The Trials remake was a fun game system that was really held back by the extremely basic script of a classic SNES game.

I feel like Trials leaned into the script by having the most 90's anime va ever heard in a modern game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Move aside dinosaur games like Final Fantasy 7

The New poo poo © Legend of Mana is in house

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
back in the good ol days we had real games... the true kings of rpgs ruled the roost... then the dark ages... final fantasy 8 came... thunder, rain, terror everywhere...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BabyRyoga posted:

Chrono Trigger isn't even in the top 10 rpgs on its system let alone better than half that list lol.

Rend yourself from your childhood you'll be okaym

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Chrono Trigger isn't even in the top 10 rpgs on its system let alone better than half that list lol.

Rend yourself from your childhood you'll be okaym

System, eh?

That's quite the opinion there

How bout you list every SFC RPG in order of best to worst, so we can see the informed adult opinion of how good Chrono Trigger is

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I did it, I beat SO2R's iron chef challenge despite it being a dumb rhythm game now.

...then I found that there's a guy you can just steal the prize you get for beating chairman Kaga Demon King Yarma from in another city

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BabyRyoga posted:

System, eh?

That's quite the opinion there

How bout you list every SFC RPG in order of best to worst, so we can see the informed adult opinion of how good Chrono Trigger is

That's already happened in this thread lol.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's already happened in this thread lol.

c/p that poo poo, quit being discriminatory towards the 415x page block

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
i would rather play secret of the stars than sea of stars

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is there a point to this exercise

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
to post sincerely because i do have strong feelings about this subject, defining a genre as broad as jrpgs as having a specific height and decline is a definitively shortsighted view to have. this is a constantly evolving genre that sees hundreds of releases a year from different teams and creators, on different systems, with wildly different ideas and execution. the amount of games in this genre released since 1998 literally cannot be counted. to define a decline is to act as if all creative output in this field spontaneously just got worse--not only is this idea ludicrous, but what purpose is there in defining this? to prove to yourself there's no reason to investigate future works? all you're doing here is cutting down on options for games to experience that you might like just as much as games from this golden era you're talking about, which in turn cuts down on your ability to discuss these artistic works with others like a human being, curiosity and expression limited down to a dull, petty cynicism. clarify it as a matter of your own opinion if you want, but either way you're being a bit of a petty bitch about it and nobody is going to want to discuss these things with you in earnest like this.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have next to no nostalgia for Chrono Trigger because i played it on psx as a kid and didn't get very far. I played the snes version a couple years back and was very impressed by it. It's not my favorite rpg but that may only be because no rpg will ever pry Skies of Arcadia out of the #1 spot in my heart

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
thread of thing full of people who dont want to actually play the things lol. badass. and in different flavors too. what more could i ask for

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

dog i can list 100 ps2-era games that are better than any those

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

suikoden 2 wasnt even until 99!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I ended up listening the RPGSite podcast summary of the Tales of Arise DLC, and they did not make it sound super appealing, even though I generally quite like Tales of Arise. Very focused on an antagonist that feels like a rehash of earlier series villains without much to make them really stand out, and a lot of fetch quests.

--

Touhou Spell Carnival sounded much more interesting. I am quite curious what a tactics RPG and bullet hell mashup would add up to. The screenshots seem to indicate that you're flying over terrain, so cover won't matter much... unless enemies can provide cover for each other from your streams of energy bullets? Reserving judgement until I see a more thorough preview,

Then again, I never did get around to playing the touhou Ys-clones sitting in my steam backlog, and those seem more consistently appealing. I will treat this as a reminder to move up New World and Scarlet Curiosity a bit on the "play later" list.

--

Played a bit of actual story content in Wandering Sword, and I'm really digging the atmosphere. Yuwen might be dealing with some high-stakes stuff, but overall the games vibes are quite comfy. They keep the camera at a remove when a gruesome autopsy, you generally don't dig into the nasty details of the astonishingly numerous bandit gangs. Yuwen is pretty likeable, too. Part of me is hoping for a dungeon exploration opportunity that is a little more complicated than what I've seen so far (maybe one of the weird sects on the edges of the map? Still haven't seen Villain Valley too, make that map annoying plz), but I am definitely finding a lot of joy in just exploring the world as is. I would probably rate it alongside Troubleshooters as something I would automatically pick up some new DLC for, but they are very different games even if you are sticking to turn based tactical combat.

I am running short on stuff to spend XP on, but I think it is largely a self inflicted problem (too much time beating up bandits on Thunder Mountain). Once I progress the story enough to access the other 50% of the world, I'm sure that there will be new manuals for the rest of the party to read. It is pretty cool that you can build the MC up to the point that they can challenge a decent number of big deal sect champions before they bother learning about affiliation credits, though :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like some modern jrpgs more than most of the games on baby ryoga's personal S-tier list.

Not that the games I like more are objectively better, I just like them more. Nobody's going to say YLAD has a robust RPG system but it's story is one of the best in the Yakuza franchise, much less RPGs on the whole.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Colonel posted:

to post sincerely because i do have strong feelings about this subject, defining a genre as broad as jrpgs as having a specific height and decline is a definitively shortsighted view to have. this is a constantly evolving genre that sees hundreds of releases a year from different teams and creators, on different systems, with wildly different ideas and execution. the amount of games in this genre released since 1998 literally cannot be counted.

It very literally can be counted. Unless an infinite number of jRPGs came out between 1998 and now. Sure, it's fair to say that it would extremely difficult to get an accurate count.I'm pretty sure that's what you mean.

quote:

to define a decline is to act as if all creative output in this field spontaneously just got worse--not only is this idea ludicrous, but what purpose is there in defining this?

No, not every jrpg released since 1998 is objectively and subjectively worse than the ones from that time period. That's a pretty bad faith interpretation of what a personal (or widely agreed upon, up to you to decide what this period is tbh) "golden age" of something is, wouldn't you agree? It's just a rather dense period of defining works from that genre of game, wherein the overall trend in the following years began to decline. There are good, great, and average games that come out every year.

This reads like a copypasta friend. Many of these posts do, probably my own included. I'm not sure why "some games are better than others" is such a sub-human, anti-intellectual, cynical take. Does it like, offend you or something when someone has either a different opinion on the 'critical' value of something than your own, or even a different idea of what constitutes the act of 'criticism' itself?

It's just games, mang.

Runa posted:

I like some modern jrpgs more than most of the games on baby ryoga's personal S-tier list.

Not that the games I like more are objectively better, I just like them more. Nobody's going to say YLAD has a robust RPG system but it's story is one of the best in the Yakuza franchise, much less RPGs on the whole.

I do, too.

Endorph posted:

dog i can list 100 ps2-era games that are better than any those

Yes! please do. I love lists

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
me: "hello the rpg thread of somethingawful, who wants to talk about rpgs? i just finished trails of cold steel"
guy who cant play a videogame without a second entirely different piece of media simultaneously: "lol final fantasy is pretty good when gundam on the other screen 💯"
guy who thinks the genre died 25 years ago and is weirdly aggressively into this for some reason: "lol youre so loving stupid if you think any game ever made can stand up to the majesty of アークザラッド (Āku za raddo)"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

me: "hello the rpg thread of somethingawful, who wants to talk about rpgs? i just finished trails of cold steel"
guy who cant play a videogame without a second entirely different piece of media simultaneously: "lol final fantasy is pretty good when gundam on the other screen 💯"
guy who thinks the genre died 25 years ago and is weirdly aggressively into this for some reason: "lol youre so loving stupid if you think any game ever made can stand up to the majesty of アークザラッド (Āku za raddo)"

lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I went back to Crossbell after beating CS2 and I didn't really enjoy what I played and it just made me burnt out of Trails for a while.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Touhou Spell Carnival sounded much more interesting. I am quite curious what a tactics RPG and bullet hell mashup would add up to. The screenshots seem to indicate that you're flying over terrain, so cover won't matter much... unless enemies can provide cover for each other from your streams of energy bullets? Reserving judgement until I see a more thorough preview,

Sting's making it right? So probably a bit like Knights in the Nightmare

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm honestly kind of intimidated by how many trails games there are and haven't been interested in them but this tweet very nearly sold me on the franchise in general

https://twitter.com/BoonOfElyos/status/1717619473195172126?s=20

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
fantasy maiden wars complete translation when

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Runa posted:

I'm honestly kind of intimidated by how many trails games there are and haven't been interested in them but this tweet very nearly sold me on the franchise in general

https://twitter.com/BoonOfElyos/status/1717619473195172126?s=20

its a very true to life tweet and funny. my suggestion would be to just pick up sky (sky fc but they took the fc out in localizaition) because thats a good baseline of what the series still is many many games later. if you dont dig sky you probably wont like any of it and if you do you probably will.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I beat Earthbound and Super Metroid for the first time when I got the SNES classic

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

its a very true to life tweet and funny. my suggestion would be to just pick up sky (sky fc but they took the fc out in localizaition) because thats a good baseline of what the series still is many many games later. if you dont dig sky you probably wont like any of it and if you do you probably will.

This is all good advice. And then once you complete sky you can go on and play Troubleshooter Abandoned Children, which is a different series of video games but many are saying its pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

It's just a rather dense period of defining works from that genre of game, wherein the overall trend in the following years began to decline.
i mean the period immediately after the one you listed - 99-2006 (a longer band, but its very late ps1 to the ps3 release, which definitely feels like a solid era), has

Wild Arms 2
Wild Arms 3
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts 2
Valkyrie Profile
Valkyrie Profile 2
Saga Frontier II
Persona 2
Persona 3
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga
like the entire back half of the langrisser series
wait grandia wasnt until 99 either
Grandia 2
Front Mission 3
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 10-2
Chrono Cross
Breath of Fire IV
Paper Mario
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door
Sakura Wars 3
Sakura Wars 4
Sakura Wars 5
Skies of Arcadia
pretty much every single summon night game
The Entire Super Robot Wars Alpha Trilogy
Tales of Eternia
Tales of Destiny DC
Tales of Rebirth
Tales of The Abyss
Like 90% of the Growlanser series
the entire battle network series
Dark Cloud 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Heart 2
the initial PC releases of RPGmaker, and all games that came from that early era (Yume Nikki, for instance, is 2004)
Xenosaga
Both Baiten Kaitos games
Front Mission 4 also
Riviera the Promised Land
Yggdra Union
all the .hack stuff