Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean if pressed i would not say battle network 4 is better than ff7 but if that is what a decline looks like i would really like another decline sometime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

I ended up listening the RPGSite podcast summary of the Tales of Arise DLC, and they did not make it sound super appealing, even though I generally quite like Tales of Arise. Very focused on an antagonist that feels like a rehash of earlier series villains without much to make them really stand out, and a lot of fetch quests.

i was wondering when the achievements for beyond the dawn would update with actual player completion percentages since every chievo I was getting on PC said it was only 0.1% of players got the first story one.

now it's up to 0.6% of players for the first one!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trails is cool. it's not as dense of a series as discussion might make it sound, there's just a lot of games but they're always fun ones if you want something a bit lighter with some funny characters and dialog.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endorph posted:

i mean the period immediately after the one you listed - 99-2006 (a longer band, but its very late ps1 to the ps3 release, which definitely feels like a solid era), has

Wild Arms 2
Wild Arms 3
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts 2
Valkyrie Profile
Valkyrie Profile 2
Saga Frontier II
Persona 2
Persona 3
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga
like the entire back half of the langrisser series
wait grandia wasnt until 99 either
Grandia 2
Front Mission 3
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 10-2
Chrono Cross
Breath of Fire IV
Paper Mario
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door
Sakura Wars 3
Sakura Wars 4
Sakura Wars 5
Skies of Arcadia
pretty much every single summon night game
The Entire Super Robot Wars Alpha Trilogy
Tales of Eternia
Tales of Destiny DC
Tales of Rebirth
Tales of The Abyss
Like 90% of the Growlanser series
the entire battle network series
Dark Cloud 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Heart 2
the initial PC releases of RPGmaker, and all games that came from that early era (Yume Nikki, for instance, is 2004)
Xenosaga
Both Baiten Kaitos games
Front Mission 4 also
Riviera the Promised Land
Yggdra Union
all the .hack stuff

mother 3 as well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

mother 3 as well
a bunch of atelier and mana khemia games also i forgot gust's PS2 output

their magnum opus ar tonelico 2 misses the cut off but still

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

trails is cool. it's not as dense of a series as discussion might make it sound, there's just a lot of games but they're always fun ones if you want something a bit lighter with some funny characters and dialog.
trails is not actually, a gigantic complex interweaving tapestry, its mostly just a shonen manga. its not that to keep up with even if you jump in on cold steel 1 (though id recommend starting at the start of a subseries, at least)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Endorph posted:

i mean the period immediately after the one you listed - 99-2006 (a longer band, but its very late ps1 to the ps3 release, which definitely feels like a solid era), has

Wild Arms 2
Wild Arms 3
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts 2
Valkyrie Profile
Valkyrie Profile 2
Saga Frontier II
Persona 2
Persona 3
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga
like the entire back half of the langrisser series
wait grandia wasnt until 99 either
Grandia 2
Front Mission 3
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 10-2
Chrono Cross
Breath of Fire IV
Paper Mario
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door
Sakura Wars 3
Sakura Wars 4
Sakura Wars 5
Skies of Arcadia
pretty much every single summon night game
The Entire Super Robot Wars Alpha Trilogy
Tales of Eternia
Tales of Destiny DC
Tales of Rebirth
Tales of The Abyss
Like 90% of the Growlanser series
the entire battle network series
Dark Cloud 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Heart 2
the initial PC releases of RPGmaker, and all games that came from that early era (Yume Nikki, for instance, is 2004)
Xenosaga
Both Baiten Kaitos games
Front Mission 4 also
Riviera the Promised Land
Yggdra Union
all the .hack stuff

def some bangers there, including the 2 best tales games (maybe I should point out that this is my opinion before someone ITT thinks I am actually posting like it is objective fact). It wasn't a bad period, just went from a overall 10 to an overall 8 (once again, opinion).

Also, Grandia was 97'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id describe the SNES era as an overall 7 and the ps2 era as an overall 11. theres SNES/early PS1 stuff I like but I don't feel like the genre really hit its stride until the PS2. I think that was the perfect mix of budgets being small enough to do weird experimental stuff and for a lot of developers to exist but high enough fidelity to do the things they wanted instead of being constrained by the hardware.

and the gameplay stuff was more experimental, you didnt get nearly as many stock dragon quest clones as you did in early SNES era.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but really like colonel said trying to define eras as 'good' or 'bad' is dumb, theres a ton of sick JRPGs coming out constantly. because theyre the best genre of video game by far.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I am semi-regularly thinking about how poo poo in the PS1 era was just weird. Weird mechanics for learning spells with weird mechanics, random rear end minigames, character builds systems that were just here's all your poo poo and you figure it out, or the reverse, here's a baffling little hoop to jump through that gets you effects like nothing else in the game if not the genre. Particularly from the PS3 it feels like mainstream RPG design has become more intricate and locked down across the board. I haven't gotten to SO2R but I can imagine how people are diving into its jank.

This is one of the couple things I respected in Xenoblade 2. Half the Blades were their own little genre. If anything the problem ones were the ones that got in their own way, like the one you had to leave at idol camp for like a hundred real time hours.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

As someone who started with CS1, it literally did not hurt my experience at all that I didn't know that some characters made cameos in previous games or whatever. But then again Falcom even released an image saying you can start with any of the series and people get insanely mad that it might mean people start with CS or Kuro so I guess developer intent doesn't matter lol.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
my main reasons for suggesting sky specifically are mostly that its the cheapest one lol. like if youre not sure if youre gonna like em better $20 than $40 or $60 lol. also, playing things in release order is always ftw. always.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

As someone who started with CS1, it literally did not hurt my experience at all that I didn't know that some characters made cameos in previous games or whatever. But then again Falcom even released an image saying you can start with any of the series and people get insanely mad that it might mean people start with CS or Kuro so I guess developer intent doesn't matter lol.
barely any old characters appear in kuro no kiseki is the funniest thing, even less than cs1. theres like.... maybe 6? 3 of which are actually important.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Endorph posted:

id describe the SNES era as an overall 7 and the ps2 era as an overall 11. theres SNES/early PS1 stuff I like but I don't feel like the genre really hit its stride until the PS2. I think that was the perfect mix of budgets being small enough to do weird experimental stuff and for a lot of developers to exist but high enough fidelity to do the things they wanted instead of being constrained by the hardware.

and the gameplay stuff was more experimental, you didnt get nearly as many stock dragon quest clones as you did in early SNES era.

If we are talking stock dragon quest clones, the only one of those I can really think of is Tengai Makyou, which is ACTUALLY a clone. SNES and the first 2/3s or so of the PSX era was prime-time for experimenting with different types of gameplay systems. There are many less than exciting or more generic feeling RPGs from these times especially if you look through catalogues of old PCE-CD, PSX, and Saturn games, but the well-known games typically got worldwide releases and stood out, whereas the rest didn't really go anywhere.

Maybe we can agree that my "golden age" had high highs and low lows, whereas the ps2 era was more likely to hit a baseline level of quality rather than have games that were just junk. Again, the way I would see that is a decline of sorts since it didn't reach the same highs, but I guess a more optimistic way of looking at it would be that standards overall rose.

But I mean, I feel like there is this weird dynamic ITT where the second I say I don't particularly like something and make an argument as to why, someone reacts to it as if I called their mother a slur, or personally attacked their taste, which is kinda weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tengai makyou 1 is so funny. definition of one of those first entries completely overshadowed by the fact that people only really care about the later ones

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

As someone who did not finish either of the Trails series I started due to device failure and/or shiny new games appearing, I am quietly hyped to try one of the new ones. I'm really interested to see how Trails through Daybreak next year compares in terms of character writing and overall atmosphere. Seems like they are on a new engine, and they are also writing a game that lets you make some minor changes to how the story goes based on the alignment points you get? I'm just skimming the wikipedia for it, since it looks like it also spoils the entire story, but I am always interested in seeing how long-running stories can have writing feel way different when you compare the beginning and endpoints.

If they have the same spells as in Trails In The Sky, it will also be a lot of fun comparing the animation FX. Let me see what a ridiculous White Gehenna with exponentially more money/tech behind it looks like.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

BabyRyoga posted:

If we are talking stock dragon quest clones, the only one of those I can really think of is Tengai Makyou, which is ACTUALLY a clone. SNES and the first 2/3s or so of the PSX era was prime-time for experimenting with different types of gameplay systems. There are many less than exciting or more generic feeling RPGs from these times especially if you look through catalogues of old PCE-CD, PSX, and Saturn games, but the well-known games typically got worldwide releases and stood out, whereas the rest didn't really go anywhere.

Maybe we can agree that my "golden age" had high highs and low lows, whereas the ps2 era was more likely to hit a baseline level of quality rather than have games that were just junk. Again, the way I would see that is a decline of sorts since it didn't reach the same highs, but I guess a more optimistic way of looking at it would be that standards overall rose.

But I mean, I feel like there is this weird dynamic ITT where the second I say I don't particularly like something and make an argument as to why, someone reacts to it as if I called their mother a slur, or personally attacked their taste, which is kinda weird.

bro you constantly act like a weird lil dick about it and people respond appropriately to that, and then you walk it back with this stuff lol. shut up.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Star Ocean 2 report: I've made it to Lacour, and did the Armory Tournament. I went with the Slayer shop, which I did not succeed against fighting Dias, but from what I've read, you can't actually win the fight.

I realize now that I screwed up and did not get the sword from Rena's grandfather and I saved over my progress. Someone mentioned a sword you get after reaching the finals, but I thought it was the tournament prize. :negative: I guess I can grab it in New Game+. I've still got the Sword of Marvels to fall back on if I need to.

It's off to Linga now. I've yet to find Opera, but I realize the other party member I need to choose between is Bowman and Precis. Dunno what the difference is between them, but I was going to pick Bowman.

-

Playing this has made me curious about checking out the other Star Ocean games. The first one and third have been brought up previously, with complaints on the first one being kind of on dull side, and the third one with the controversial ending. However, I was curious about the others (4 - The Last Hope, 5 - Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness , 6 The Divine Force)

I'm also curious about the other sprite character/3D environment RPGs (dunno what the proper name for them is). I know there's Octopath Traveler, but I recall there being another one.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Snooze Cruise posted:

fantasy maiden wars complete translation when

I think this every day. I just don’t post it every day because it feels like doing so would be rude to clarste

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
You can still get that sword that people are talking about (the sword you get from the old guy is a component in getting an insanely OP sword by crafting), it's just a lot more annoying to get the starting ingredient later on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

avoraciopoctules posted:

As someone who did not finish either of the Trails series I started due to device failure and/or shiny new games appearing, I am quietly hyped to try one of the new ones. I'm really interested to see how Trails through Daybreak next year compares in terms of character writing and overall atmosphere. Seems like they are on a new engine, and they are also writing a game that lets you make some minor changes to how the story goes based on the alignment points you get? I'm just skimming the wikipedia for it, since it looks like it also spoils the entire story, but I am always interested in seeing how long-running stories can have writing feel way different when you compare the beginning and endpoints.

If they have the same spells as in Trails In The Sky, it will also be a lot of fun comparing the animation FX. Let me see what a ridiculous White Gehenna with exponentially more money/tech behind it looks like.

i am sorry if what you are expecting from a new trails game is exponentially more money behind it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
crono, lucca and marle looking on in horror as the future tv screen reveals an apocalyptic past of endless chrono trigger flame wars in the rpg thread

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kondo: i am proud to be at this presentation to talk about the evolution of our flagship franchise. you see, back in the old days of trails in the sky all we had to work with in terms of budget was this

*points to display case with 100 yen in it*

now, after all these years, we've really grown. we can afford to put so much more into our games now. look over here and you will see the budget that modern trails games work with, how we have been freed from our budgetary limitations

*points to display case with 1000 yen in it. part of show hall falls down to reveal it is made of plywood*

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Max Wilco posted:

Star Ocean 2 report: I've made it to Lacour, and did the Armory Tournament. I went with the Slayer shop, which I did not succeed against fighting Dias, but from what I've read, you can't actually win the fight.

I realize now that I screwed up and did not get the sword from Rena's grandfather and I saved over my progress. Someone mentioned a sword you get after reaching the finals, but I thought it was the tournament prize. :negative: I guess I can grab it in New Game+. I've still got the Sword of Marvels to fall back on if I need to.

It's off to Linga now. I've yet to find Opera, but I realize the other party member I need to choose between is Bowman and Precis. Dunno what the difference is between them, but I was going to pick Bowman.

-

Playing this has made me curious about checking out the other Star Ocean games. The first one and third have been brought up previously, with complaints on the first one being kind of on dull side, and the third one with the controversial ending. However, I was curious about the others (4 - The Last Hope, 5 - Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness , 6 The Divine Force)

I'm also curious about the other sprite character/3D environment RPGs (dunno what the proper name for them is). I know there's Octopath Traveler, but I recall there being another one.

Just go back and grab it by talking to the grandpa.

Also: play wandering sword

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kuro looks better than cold steel, in that it looks like a late ps2 game instead of an early ps2 game

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

bro you constantly act like a weird lil dick about it and people respond appropriately to that, and then you walk it back with this stuff lol. shut up.

How bout this then, buddy. Point out where I acted "like a weird little dick about it", so I can identify what kinds of aggressive and or antagonistic language I used in my posts and hopefully learn to identify what about my posting style makes it come off as personal attacks and try to amend it in the future? Is it because I try to match sarcasm with sarcasm, which doesn't come across well?

Like I said, I legitimately don't register this. I'm just a compulsive list maker who likes to discuss games.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The Colonel posted:

i am sorry if what you are expecting from a new trails game is exponentially more money behind it

I will accept a fireball from a PS2 game, but only if the voice actor REALLY chews the scenery with the incantations for it. Still have a soft spot for those Twilight of the Spirits and Orphen: Scion of Sorcery combat barks, lol

EDIT: and I hear that Cold Steel definitely delivers some fun combat barks, even if I never managed to get super far in it

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I would like to find the person who thought that making physical attacks less accurate in CSII was a good idea and give them a hearty gently caress You.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Max Wilco posted:

You can go find Opera right now if you want, there should be a new timed event at one of the towns on your fast travel map.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Cold Steel might have landed better for me character-wise if they'd just used portraits for dialogue instead of the rendered busts. The faces were the most distracting part of the whole presentation and the art in the student roster and stuff looked just fine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BabyRyoga posted:

How bout this then, buddy. Point out where I acted "like a weird little dick about it", so I can identify what kinds of aggressive and or antagonistic language I used in my posts and hopefully learn to identify what about my posting style makes it come off as personal attacks and try to amend it in the future? Is it because I try to match sarcasm with sarcasm, which doesn't come across well?

Like I said, I legitimately don't register this. I'm just a compulsive list maker who likes to discuss games.

dude you're the guy who the one time i posted about a weird flawed launch ps1 rpg i had some frustrations with but overall liked launched into a metaphor about avocados

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Colonel posted:

dude you're the guy who the one time i posted about a weird flawed launch ps1 rpg i had some frustrations with but overall liked launched into a metaphor about avocados

what's wrong with avocados?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

When you think about it, message boards are kind of like turn based combat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh ok you're just taking the piss

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
been enjoying like a dragon gaiden though i feel like it takes a bit to really get going. agent style is probably one of the most fun movesets in the series though

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

kondo: i am proud to be at this presentation to talk about the evolution of our flagship franchise. you see, back in the old days of trails in the sky all we had to work with in terms of budget was this

*points to display case with 100 yen in it*

now, after all these years, we've really grown. we can afford to put so much more into our games now. look over here and you will see the budget that modern trails games work with, how we have been freed from our budgetary limitations

*points to display case with 1000 yen in it. part of show hall falls down to reveal it is made of plywood*

It's still funny to remember the mihoyo x falcom interview where the person from the former talks about how much they like the trails games and then casually mentions stuff like how any one of their games outnumbers the staffcount of the entirety of falcom

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the star rail director was like, 'we have about 600 people working on star rail' and the falcom prez replying 'we have about 60 employees. total. lol.'

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

BabyRyoga posted:

I think Legend of Mana was all style, and no substance. It had an interesting world building experiment and some nice aesthetics, but the actual action game play was about as basic as it possibly could be.

Legend of Mana has one of the best implementations of non-linear world building and exploration I can think of for a pre-Morrowind console game. Figuring out how to follow story threads across the game's locations was interesting and rewarding, and there was nothing else quite like it. Especially considering how good some of those story threads actually are - obviously the Jumi storyline is the standout, but I also liked the depressed musicians, the centaur trying to date monsters, and whatever the heck was going on with the toy graveyard.

The combat gets a bit interesting when you figure out how to learn - and then use - new skills. Fortunately/unfortunately, the game is so easy that you can beat it without ever knowing this.

BabyRyoga posted:

Running into enemies Ys1 style had more depth.

I know it's your "opinion" but you're also objectively wrong. Go play LoM again sometime.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

One popular jrpg series I always heard of but never could get into was the Breathe of Fire series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legend of mana's combat is kind of slow and not as smooth as i'd like but it's a really interesting game for the weird corner of, kinda mana, kinda action rpg SaGa offshoot it falls into.

GateOfD posted:

One popular jrpg series I always heard of but never could get into was the Breathe of Fire series

bof is kinda all over the place. it feels like a series capcom never really pinned down what they wanted to do with beyond having really elegant 2d art and some of the cleaner 3d of the ps1 era