Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ll hate myself if I start playing Spider-Man 2 tonight. But I know I’ll also have a bitchin time deep into the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, tomorrow's Friday. Everyone phones it in on a Friday. I've done blatantly irresponsible staying up too late at times. Just don't bitch about it the next day, take your lumps and it's worth it. All things in moderation, including moderation.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I was gonna binge Spider-Man 2 this weekend, but I realized I never got more than an hour into GoW Ragnarok. So I'm currently binging through that first, and I'm really enjoying the hell out of it.

Though Aliens Dark Decent just went on sale and now I'm contemplating buying that for this weekend. :ohdear:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I really liked that. Felt very Aliens in the "completely outmatched and surrounded" way

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, you aren’t fighting your way out of things very often. If you get in a firefight and the APC isn’t nearby, you’d better be ready. Even with the best guns, one of your dudes getting knocked out can start a failure cascade that’ll be over and done with in about 10 seconds.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I finally got around to finishing Baldur's Gate 3, what a ride that was. Don't think I've binged a game quite this hard since the late 90's when I skipped school so I could stay home and play Final Fantasy 7.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Does it pick up at all? I made it to the defense of the tavern in the first chapter, I think, and lost interest after that.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I mean, I thought it was an absolute treat to play from start to finish pretty much but I also think there's no point in suffering through a game if you're not vibing with it. I certainly wouldn't want to plow through a game as big as BG3 if I got a few hours in and thought the pacing was way off.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
BG3 is one of those games that I really enjoy, but I have to have a lot of free time and be in a certain state of mind before I play it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Syrian Lannister posted:

Does it pick up at all? I made it to the defense of the tavern in the first chapter, I think, and lost interest after that.

Do you mean defense of the emerald enclave? The only tavern defense bit is in Act 2.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Random poo poo I just learned: the voice of Weaver from Shipbreaker is voiced by none other than Chief Tyrol from BSG

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If you at all liked Control, or Alan Wake, or anything Remedy has done, you owe it to yourself to get Alan Wake II.

It's a resource monster, but it is designed for PS5/XBox so the low end is likely fine. The high-end is just super high-end and it looks that way, versus the latest unoptimized games.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

If you at all liked Control, or Alan Wake, or anything Remedy has done, you owe it to yourself to get Alan Wake II.

It's a resource monster, but it is designed for PS5/XBox so the low end is likely fine. The high-end is just super high-end and it looks that way, versus the latest unoptimized games.

That does look fun, I liked the first one & recall when I needed batteries the energizer logo was prominent & it oddly felt ok as helped real world tone. But then the giant Verizon billboard during a tense driving sequence was ill advised.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Thankfully Remedy is a beneficiary of a ton of Epic Games cash to be an exclusive, so there's been zero product placement in my first hour or so and lots of fucks. Lots and lots of fucks.

Non-spoiler: here's the first TV collectible thingy that sounds like it was basically made for gip https://youtu.be/tfPBKxj19aw?si=-2W_ldSN37wHBHBa

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Picked up Ghostrunner 2 on a whim having not played the first and holy poo poo this game is cool. It’s like Mirror’s Edge meets Cyberpunk 2077 meets Ninja Gaiden or something. Runs very well and looks super good even on a 2060. You will die- a lot- but it doesn’t feel excessively punishing.

https://youtu.be/qVYNkBqmytE

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

I have fond memories of the first game and the narrative in Alan Wake 2 looks suitably trippy, but I'm a bit baffled over how the combat system seems to be basically copy-pasted over from the first game, completely ignoring all of the cool poo poo they did in Control. I suppose this is a game you play for the story and not so much for the pew-pew but it still has me scratching my head a bit, especially since Alan Wake and Control takes place in the same universe.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah it's a design choice to fit the mood/theme. The first Alan Wake wasn't really scary, this one's scary as hell to the extent that the resident evil games could take notes. Considering I basically got my rear end handed to me dealing with two basic enemies at the same time, and I'm suitably dreading every combat encounter, dumbing down the system really works.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I have fond memories of the first game and the narrative in Alan Wake 2 looks suitably trippy, but I'm a bit baffled over how the combat system seems to be basically copy-pasted over from the first game, completely ignoring all of the cool poo poo they did in Control. I suppose this is a game you play for the story and not so much for the pew-pew but it still has me scratching my head a bit, especially since Alan Wake and Control takes place in the same universe.

I mean, Alan doesn't have a REDACTED in his head like Jesse does. At least that's how I read the difference between the two games, one has someone who might be sensitive to what's happening while the other has someone that has had something happen to them bringing them more fully into whatever the power(s) that are doing these things. Think Force sensitives vs Force users in Star Wars.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Picked up Dave the Diver for Switch, having fun exploring the ocean & designing a sushi restaurant menu. I like the freedom & it’s funny to club an ugly giant fish then put it on the menu to see if anyone wants it (so far no.)

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah it's a design choice to fit the mood/theme. The first Alan Wake wasn't really scary, this one's scary as hell to the extent that the resident evil games could take notes. Considering I basically got my rear end handed to me dealing with two basic enemies at the same time, and I'm suitably dreading every combat encounter, dumbing down the system really works.

Fair enough, I think I was just expecting something with a bit more pizzazz after Control made me feel like I was Neo zipping around the Matrix.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Fair enough, I think I was just expecting something with a bit more pizzazz after Control made me feel like I was Neo zipping around the Matrix.

~15 hours in (no idea what %) and I'm thinking there's no way this amount of batshittery is even possible without limiting the gameplay. The pizzazz is all there, it's just in plot and batshittery.

Sam Lake must've had the time of his loving life making this thing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Picked up Dave the Diver for Switch, having fun exploring the ocean & designing a sushi restaurant menu. I like the freedom & it’s funny to club an ugly giant fish then put it on the menu to see if anyone wants it (so far no.)

I envy you for I'll never be able to relive the first-time- experience at playing this amazingly chill game

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I envy you for I'll never be able to relive the first-time- experience at playing this amazingly chill game

*lures giant shark into explosive trap, harvests meat to buy bigger harpoons* oh yeah it’s chill

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Woah I missed they released a new game in the King of Dragon pass series, Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out. I’m not good at those games but always have fun & my profile pic obligates me to buy them.

One of the best laughs I’ve had was playing the first game cold & I kept raiding the duckmen as it felt like a safe way to get food and even when they kept warning me to knock it off I chuckled as what could they do about it? Cue game over screen as the ducks & their beastmen allies ran riot over my Vikings & the absurd end to my first tribe was wonderful.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So a friend of mine convinced me to give Battle Brothers a shot.
It has been 4 days since I got it and Steam claims I've spent 37.6 hours on it.
Send help.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Heavily recommending Cobalt Core if you like roguelike or deckbuilders or games with rad sound tracks.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

SerthVarnee posted:

So a friend of mine convinced me to give Battle Brothers a shot.
It has been 4 days since I got it and Steam claims I've spent 37.6 hours on it.
Send help.

This looks intriguing, might pick it up once I'm done poopsocking BG3. I'm sure I'll get tired of it at some point.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

This looks intriguing, might pick it up once I'm done poopsocking BG3. I'm sure I'll get tired of it at some point.

More games need a BG3/Larain type narrator, and to let me argue with squirrels. I know this means I should finish DoS1 and DoS2.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Return of the Obra Dinn is excellent, worried it would be more abstract and weird but it’s surprisingly fair with clever storytelling & fun puzzles. Always feels like I’m making progress & haven’t hit anything that felt unfair or required a guide. Neat moments of horror too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Obra Dinn is good to go back to every few years when you've forgotten enough of the puzzle details for it to be intriguing but remember enough about them to get those last 4 sailors nailed down.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I had to take a break from BG3, got to act 3 three different times. On my first character, co-op character, and my Dark Urge character. Haven't played hardly any of Act 3 but burned out on BG3 after 2-3 months of it.

Think I'm gonna finally try to play through Outward.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mario rpg remake is preloaded

im stoked as hell

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im stoked as hell

Hell yeah.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im stoked as hell

Game was a huge part of my childhood i am readyyyy

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I've been playing the everloving poo poo out of Railgrade, a dumb-fun train management sim with challenge elements on Steam.

Transport cargo around the map, supply different industries with raw materials/intermediate products, supply cities with goods to generate more workers for your industries, export goods for cash, build magnificent spaghetti nightmares with your money.

64 hours in and counting. The campaign is pretty drat extensive, and there are a lot of bonus stages along the way, great value for money

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i hope the secret FF2 bosses are still in

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im stoked as hell

I didn’t know this was coming, and I can still hear the battle music in my head from over 25 years ago :unsmith:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've been playing the everloving poo poo out of Railgrade, a dumb-fun train management sim with challenge elements on Steam.

Transport cargo around the map, supply different industries with raw materials/intermediate products, supply cities with goods to generate more workers for your industries, export goods for cash, build magnificent spaghetti nightmares with your money.

64 hours in and counting. The campaign is pretty drat extensive, and there are a lot of bonus stages along the way, great value for money

Where on the Ternary plot of Factorio, Zachtronics, and OpenTTD does this fall?

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 14, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Obra Dinn is good to go back to every few years when you've forgotten enough of the puzzle details for it to be intriguing but remember enough about them to get those last 4 sailors nailed down.

Oh yeah it’s satisfying to make deductions about what might have happened and get rewarded. I like how you have to have three new ones right to avoid encouraging excessive guessing without paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Seriously, the humor in this game is wonderfully on point for the sell sword lifestyle.

That champion enemy at the top of the list is just a randomly generated name.