Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I don’t know that I’ve ever had a campaign go more than maybe 20 sessions where the system maintains dominance. By like session 5 or 6, the players sort of come to understand their characters and we end up just telling stories with occasional checks for dramatic moments.

Probably also telling my most successful campaign was with Amber Diceless.

For those of you who go dozens, hundreds of sessions, do you keep the rules in place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

And here the only campaign I've had go longer than 10 sessions or so was a text-based run of a module that ended when the module did, and only ran longer because text is so slow. Most attempted campaigns just peter out at 4 or 5 sessions tops.
Wish we had some of your groups' longevity :smith:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

PuttyKnife posted:

I don’t know that I’ve ever had a campaign go more than maybe 20 sessions where the system maintains dominance. By like session 5 or 6, the players sort of come to understand their characters and we end up just telling stories with occasional checks for dramatic moments.

Probably also telling my most successful campaign was with Amber Diceless.

For those of you who go dozens, hundreds of sessions, do you keep the rules in place?

My longest campaign was 50-ish sessions of 4E. We definitely stripped away rules that we didn't think were fun or interesting, and pulled apart the whole adventuring day and rest system. But we were still using the vast majority of the combat rules all the way through.

These days I like Monsterhearts style seasons where you do a 10-12 session arc then montage a time-skip. People who like their characters can bring them back, people who are bored can roll new ones after giving them a farewell scene or two during the montage (or getting them spectacularly killed in the last session). Gives you a good point to rotate GM if they need a break, change systems if people are done with it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Back in the glory days of being a broke single idiot with no prospects, and a friend group in the same situation, I was in two two-year long back-to-back weekly Exalted games. Each was probably at least eighty sessions after considering a few missed weeks here and there. And then there was a year-long Exalted game after those. And a bunch of one-shots and concurrent games of a month or two length before, after, and throughout including more Exalted and a wide variety of other games.

And even all that Exalted combined falls short of my nearly six-year Rolemaster game that started in middle school and ended because too many people started graduating high school.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkyeAuroline posted:

And here the only campaign I've had go longer than 10 sessions or so was a text-based run of a module that ended when the module did, and only ran longer because text is so slow. Most attempted campaigns just peter out at 4 or 5 sessions tops.
Wish we had some of your groups' longevity :smith:
A key part is finding the sweet spot of enough people that you can run on a day if someone can't make it but not so many people that that's likely to happen enough to stall things out.

E: my campaign collapses tend to be around big important sessions where too many sessions pass where we can't get the full party together but it's too key a plot beat for someone to skip.

E2: though my biggest campaign flameout as a player was during college when I accidentally made a "street level" BESM character that was immune to the main plot and could kill God.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 14, 2023

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The longest running game I'd been in was a 1e D&D game that met mostly every Sunday, running anywhere between 5 and 9 hours, for just over 5 years straight. There was significant homebrew in the game, from races to monsters to spells and so on, as both the DM and one of the players had been playing pretty much since the release of 1e and homebrew was a big way to get around knowing monster stats and stuff like that.

While I liked the game, there were definitely times when the rules got in the way. Don't know if I'd ever go back to playing D&D for that long again, but it was definitely a fun time while it lasted.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Has anyone tried Masks? I wanted to run a teen superhero game and saw a few recommendations for that system

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PuttyKnife posted:

Pretty much. My group all like to play with systems as much as we like to play out characters, unless the system almost literally falls apart on us and becomes more patchwork than game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Splicer posted:

A key part is finding the sweet spot of enough people that you can run on a day if someone can't make it but not so many people that that's likely to happen enough to stall things out.

E: my campaign collapses tend to be around big important sessions where too many sessions pass where we can't get the full party together but it's too key a plot beat for someone to skip.

E2: though my biggest campaign flameout as a player was during college when I accidentally made a "street level" BESM character that was immune to the main plot and could kill God.

Oh, it's not an issue of "people can't make it" for us, generally. GMing is rapidly corrosive to my mental health (as I'm finding out again with Mothership, which might die after 3 total sessions at this rate), and various factors have killed our last several campaigns (picking up new players that turned out to be horrible, lack of interest beyond a few sessions on everyone's part, quality of the game itself being terrible enough house rules couldn't fix it...). Scheduling hasn't been an issue for killing games so far.

I'm hopeful the Dark Sun campaign that's intended to run in parallel with our Mothership game works out, but we've had to push back both games quite a bit so far between "Mothership overran the planned one-shot" and "family emergency" so we're not actually getting sessions in there yet beyond the intro that nearly had a PC death already...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I once ran a Buffy: The Vampire Slayer Campaign of 22 sessions (a full season), with each session being an episode. There was a three-parter and a two-parter as well, but those had been planned in when I was designing the campaign. The hardest parts were timing the story beats like the TV series, with the appropriate appearances of the Big Bad early on, then not appearing until the back half of the season and the middle two-part episode. I even had opening credits made with Flash.

These are the opening credits I did for my current campaign (also a cinematic action movie-ish one). At least now I can use Premiere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSxKWaKNKSQ

I had a screen with the players' names listed as the 'Writers', but I removed it for this render.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

radlum posted:

Has anyone tried Masks? I wanted to run a teen superhero game and saw a few recommendations for that system

Yes; it's very good (unfortunate, since Magpie kind of sucks) if what you're looking for is specifically teen superhero drama in the style of Young Avengers/Teen Titans.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That Old Tree posted:

Back in the glory days of being a broke single idiot with no prospects, and a friend group in the same situation, I was in two two-year long back-to-back weekly Exalted games. Each was probably at least eighty sessions after considering a few missed weeks here and there. And then there was a year-long Exalted game after those. And a bunch of one-shots and concurrent games of a month or two length before, after, and throughout including more Exalted and a wide variety of other games.

And even all that Exalted combined falls short of my nearly six-year Rolemaster game that started in middle school and ended because too many people started graduating high school.

gently caress yeah rolemaster, love that game. We played a bunch of campaigns in it then pulled out the core mechanics and stapled them into other systems, it worked really well.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes; it's very good (unfortunate, since Magpie kind of sucks) if what you're looking for is specifically teen superhero drama in the style of Young Avengers/Teen Titans.

I wanna second the recommendation for masks! It's a lot of fun.

What's the deal with magpie tho

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

These are the opening credits I did for my current campaign (also a cinematic action movie-ish one). At least now I can use Premiere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSxKWaKNKSQ

I had a screen with the players' names listed as the 'Writers', but I removed it for this render.

I have got to complement you on your choice of music. I wasn't aware of VNV's When is the Future until a cover by Collapse Project came up on my feed. Great song.

Cool opening credits video Humbug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LehjQOSFUw

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Helical Nightmares posted:

I have got to complement you on your choice of music. I wasn't aware of VNV's When is the Future until a cover by Collapse Project came up on my feed. Great song.

Cool opening credits video Humbug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LehjQOSFUw

VNV's original video is stunning...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5mf4LV7Jw

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

this is the track list for a 2007 prog rock album

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ominous Jazz posted:

I wanna second the recommendation for masks! It's a lot of fun.

What's the deal with magpie tho

Mark Diaz Truman is the co-owner of Magpie and wrote some bad blog posts about how we all need to accept Zak S into our hearts to heal the rift between OSR and indie games, and he never gave a satisfying apology for this.

(Note: when he made those posts, there really wasn't that much of a rift between OSR and indie game spaces. They didn't talk much, but that's because they were different communities. There were enough Kevin Crawfords and Vincent Bakers in the world that people would give respectful nods to across the aisle, and the old scene drama was only being kept going by the weirdest posters.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was born at just the right time to a) get into VNV Nation and b) not be able to think about VNV Nation without thinking of SimRonan now. MY BURGER! NOT AFRAID!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Mark Diaz Truman is the co-owner of Magpie and wrote some bad blog posts about how we all need to accept Zak S into our hearts to heal the rift between OSR and indie games, and he never gave a satisfying apology for this.

(Note: when he made those posts, there really wasn't that much of a rift between OSR and indie game spaces. They didn't talk much, but that's because they were different communities. There were enough Kevin Crawfords and Vincent Bakers in the world that people would give respectful nods to across the aisle, and the old scene drama was only being kept going by the weirdest posters.)

More specifically, he used those bad blog posts to throw another Magpie employee under the bus because that person dared to say that Zak S should stop harassing people, to performatively take Zak's side in the pursuit of clout in the limited spheres where Zak's word was worth anything.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Re: session count - I got into a discord D&D campaign at the beginning of the pandemic that ran for like 2+ years, once a week, at about 3 hours a throw. I started late with the group and got in at level 6 and by the time the campaign concluded my guy was level 18. I had an Eldritch knight Dwarven archeologist, researching the intersection of ancient cultures and their precursor magics on his quest to become tenured at the college he worked for.

I miss having a game, were that my free time not been taken up with other things I'd try to run my own D&D campaign again.

Did anyone besides me buy the Candela Obscura core book since it released yesterday? I absolutely adore the Crit Role games of it and it seems like it'll be fairly lightweight and easy to teach to newbies.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

I looked at it but it just looks like worse Blades in the Dark.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've had more games reach a satisfying ending than not over the years, but that mostly comes from playing shorter campaigns (2-3 months) when we aren't just doing a one-shot for a week or two. I think my longest completed game so far is Fellowship that ran for 7 months with only the occasional dropped session.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
With the caveat that I haven't looked at the actual game yet, PC Gamer (of all places) had a piece about Candela Obscura last week that made it sound not totally terrible (baby's first explanation of the concept of hacks notwithstanding): https://www.pcgamer.com/critical-ro...s-a-good-thing/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
e; quote is not edit.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

zerofiend posted:

I looked at it but it just looks like worse Blades in the Dark.

Does the full version still only rate rolls along one axis?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I'm currently 75 sessions deep in a D&D 4e campaign that started in 2017. At the current rate we probably have a year or so to go. We've been online from the start on account of being scattered across the US, and scheduling has been somewhat irregular, so we end up spending a fair amount of time on recap.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
A few months ago my group finished a 3-year Roll20 5E game that probably had around 100 sessions all told. Someone else DM'ed the middle third, and we had a couple player drops and adds, but it held together.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I'm currently 75 sessions deep in a D&D 4e campaign that started in 2017. At the current rate we probably have a year or so to go. We've been online from the start on account of being scattered across the US, and scheduling has been somewhat irregular, so we end up spending a fair amount of time on recap.

My Bi-Weekly 4E campaign that started in 2019 at Level 1 is reaching the final stretches soon (Currently level 19).

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Plutonis posted:

My Bi-Weekly 4E campaign that started in 2019 at Level 1 is reaching the final stretches soon (Currently level 19).

Congrats on that longevity! I think we started at 3 and are now up to 24. Looks like we average about a level a quarter, and I expect we'll take it all the way to 30.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Plutonis posted:

hell yeah. that's my dream with the current campaign we have underway currently.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I didn't run it but I was in a campaign that went from level 1 through 18 and lasted three years and change, despite two key players leaving partway through.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Probably the longest-running game I did was a weekly 4e campaign that lasted 3 years and took the party from L1-L5. I'm still pretty proud of the near-total reskinning of 4E I did for it, building pretty much every enemy the players faced was a ton of work but it paid off.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I'm in the middle of my third consecutive Legend of the Five Rings game, the first two went six years each and ended on a good end, spawning the next a while later down the timeline. The first one barely made it, though, it was falling apart as it crossed the line, seven players was too many. That one was more adventure-path than homebrew though, using Heroes of Rokugan 1 as the mod set, even if I ended up blowing up a lot of the tracks.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

I rarely hear about Exalted lasting so long. How did the setting change over that time? Did you roll back the changes when the one campaign ended and the other began?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

drunkencarp posted:

I rarely hear about Exalted lasting so long. How did the setting change over that time? Did you roll back the changes when the one campaign ended and the other began?

The first one was me getting into Exalted at the very end of the first edition, so the setting was mostly pretty set by then, then the second game was me running second edition with some "insider knowledge" near the end because I was chatting with Michael Goodwin so I ran a couple of Infernal antagonists before the book even came out. Honestly the setting was pretty static between end of 1e up until the Infernal stuff started coming out for 2e, a period of about five years, though there were matters of presentation and perspective as 2e collated and regurgitated 1e, so for the most part it was up to my friend and then myself to determine our own personal big changes to the setting. My friend's game remained pretty low-key so the setting remained recognizably what you'd read right out of the books. My game was more bombastic, with one of the first major story arcs being a war between Lookshy and Mask of Winters riding Juggernaut, and by the final dozen or so sessions there was a time jump and a huge ramp-up in power and a big fight between the PCs and various Deathlords.

There was a brief hiatus and then my friend who ran that first long game ran another, year-long game where I got to play an Infernal but the whole metaplot thing didn't figure into stuff. We didn't do a whole lot with Malfeas, I was just a weirdo from hell hanging out with my friends. So again the setting remained largely as you'd find it in the books, apart from my own character's presence.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

drunkencarp posted:

I rarely hear about Exalted lasting so long.

I was in a 4-year Exalted 3rd game that ended about a year ago. We ended up taking a break for COVID which was extra annoying because it was literally going to be the final session and capstone fight for "season 2" of the game, then we had to stop meeting for just over a year.

I think we ended up being pretty faithful to the setting outside of a basic starting change - we set the game in the North and nobody wanted to deal with the Bull of the North so he just didn't exist. We did end up liberating the North from the Blessed Isle but that had more to do with me disguising myself as the highmost monk stationed in the North and literally making GBS threads on Mnemon's desk in a gambit to get her to come help deal with a Deathlord who was our antagonist for Essence 5 and 6.

The same guy has been talking about running another Exalted game when he finishes his Master's degree and we'll probably keep the broad strokes of the previous campaign as canon, though Creation is a big enough place that even if it all was true we probably wouldn't even know about it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Whybird posted:

I'm still pretty proud of the near-total reskinning of 4E I did for it, building pretty much every enemy the players faced was a ton of work but it paid off.
I ran Dark Sun in 4E. I found the DS Monster Manual lacking for my needs a lot of the time, given that I was running a 1-10 campaign and a lot of the material was for 11-30, and had a blast building encounters/monsters from scratch using the business card math and searching through the online compendium to find effects that were appropriate for the opposition. It was a lot of work in the end but I too thought it was well worth it. So many memorable encounters!

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

I ran Dark Sun in 4E. I found the DS Monster Manual lacking for my needs a lot of the time, given that I was running a 1-10 campaign and a lot of the material was for 11-30, and had a blast building encounters/monsters from scratch using the business card math and searching through the online compendium to find effects that were appropriate for the opposition. It was a lot of work in the end but I too thought it was well worth it. So many memorable encounters!

drat I did pretty much the same thing, ran 4e Dark Sun for a few years and frankensteined all the encounters together from spare parts. Lots of overworld desert survival that 4e (or D&D in general for that matter) is utterly inadequate for gamifying or supporting that I had to constantly improv but I found the Skill Challenges framework to actually be surprisingly good for that once I stapled on some BitD style clocks, in a very bare bones handwavey way.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
I've been in a few long campaigns at this point, but the longest in terms of raw time commitment is probably a Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine game. I'm not 100% certain on the number of sessions, it's somewhere around 36-39, averaging 4 hours each. We came to the campaign with precious little understanding of how the game works, and I would say that our adherence to the rules has actually dramatically increased over time. And, indeed, I'd credit them in large part with sustaining the thing. When you explicitly gamify the narrative structure of your campaign's story arcs it really helps keep them going.

I know Chuubo's has a bit of a reputation for being obtuse but I really do think more people should check out its mechanics, there's some seriously impressive stuff there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

willing to settle posted:

I know Chuubo's has a bit of a reputation for being obtuse but I really do think more people should check out its mechanics, there's some seriously impressive stuff there.

That’s impressive. Were you doing GMD? I think the campaign style of Chuubo’s confuses people. Glitch describes the mechanics much better but has characters even harder to connect with.