Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone have a good idea of when i can buy the game? Read up what i can about the current state and I don't want to now. Even if I can get some goon groups going i the discord I'm still hesitant.

It's technically functional now but there's not a lot of content and some of the systems need complete overhauls imo. This is the first patch and it looks like a lot but it also looks like stuff you'd expect to see in a launch day/week patch. I'm giving this one a wide berth, like 6 months to a year before considering buying it. I'll at least be able to check in on gamepass but none of my friends are remotely interested in playing it again anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bugfixes but it seems like there isn't any actual changes to the functional design of the game.

For what it's worth, they mentioned a while ago they were splitting the patch in two- I think the first one being mostly fixes so the game runs right, and then the second being actual "improve functionality"

I figure there's some truth to that. Making changes to the functional design probably requires a bit more than regular bug fixes. I dunno.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
in the world of payday, crime DOES pay

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm not convinced, given how hellish police/contractor response seems to be. Like, are you really earning more than you spend, here?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Bloodly posted:

I'm not convinced, given how hellish police/contractor response seems to be. Like, are you really earning more than you spend, here?

Nah, they meant that "Crime Pays for funky camos"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Played some PD3 with the crew a few times over the last week, there's the bones of a good game here but man some of the decisions and mechanics really are baffling. We had fun doing the missions and the stealth stuff in particular was a lot of fun to perfect in a group, but the fact that you don't get XP for guns or possibly at all if you stealth a level feels directly at odds with the new improved stealth mechanics that they encourage you to engage with. Like two different teams worked on these systems and didn't talk to each other until a month before launch. The small amount of unlocks there are are spread out so thin to presumably give people a carrot to chase to keep playing but there's really nothing remotely interesting in those unlocks except for slightly different variations of assault rifles. "I wish I had something to spend all this money on" was the common refrain from my friends during our time with it.

I think this game can probably be great after a year or more of updates and new content drops but there are entire systems that need reworked from the ground up imo and at the rate they're going I don't have a ton of faith.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always thought Payday progression should just be money. Like you unlock new abilities by spending money on training, you unlock new equipment by paying a guy. That way the most optimal thing to do on a heist is to get the most money out of it.

I'm not sure what purpose having a separate XP system serves.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gort posted:

I always thought Payday progression should just be money. Like you unlock new abilities by spending money on training, you unlock new equipment by paying a guy. That way the most optimal thing to do on a heist is to get the most money out of it.

Yeah, agreed. Do heists to get money, let me use this money to further increase my skills which will let me take on harder missions which will let me further increase my skills to take on harder missions, etc etc. It's crazy how many people must have signed off on having the progression be the way it is. I think if they had more masks and colors and materials and patterns and cosmetic bullshit it wouldn't be so bad because it at least gives me *something* to spend money on but jesus even the selection of mask patterns is woefully low. I think they seriously just ran the gently caress out of time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gort posted:

The reasons for the different progression systems is to address the bane of all games like this- content exhaustion. They need different parallel and orthogonal treadmills to keep people playing long enough for them to generate more content and even break even on the initial cost. This also prevents players from immediately optimizing into a single method that kills play (e.g. Rats from the payday 2 launch period). The first payday game had a single combined money/XP system, and content exhaustion killed it after one DLC.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Another game design function of having multiple advancement tracks is to make it so that advancing along one track doesn't come at the cost of advancing along another track. If you use the same resource to unlock skills and unlock weapons, then you have to make choices about whether you want to unlock more weapons first or more skills first. If they're separate resources those are independent decisions. Depending on your game design goals that may be desirable or not.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

explosivo posted:

Played some PD3 with the crew a few times over the last week, there's the bones of a good game here but man some of the decisions and mechanics really are baffling. We had fun doing the missions and the stealth stuff in particular was a lot of fun to perfect in a group, but the fact that you don't get XP for guns or possibly at all if you stealth a level feels directly at odds with the new improved stealth mechanics that they encourage you to engage with.

You absolutely get gun xp when you complete a mission, either stealth or loud. No idea how you managed to not see that in the post heist screen. There was recently a bug (that's now fixed) where players would max out the xp on their guns by running a single missson, but at the end would dance in and out of the escape and the game awarded gun xp for each entry and exit of the escape before the mission ended.

You also get infamy points for stealth completing a map, but usually it's going to be less than on loud because of how the cheevo for infamy point system is set up. Most of the infamy point cheevos are for killing. There are stealth ones as well.

Have a look at pd3.gg. It's easier to parse that website than the absolute gently caress fest of the in game infamy progression.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Meanwhile back in the funny clown cop crime combat simulator from 2013 on the xbox 360 and ps3, guess what dropped for me today:

:pcgaming:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That used to go for over 100 dollars in the Steam market. How times have changed :laffo:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I never knew Payday 2 added steam marketplace poo poo. I hope we don’t ever get that for 3. Everytime money gets involved like that it changes the whole dynamic of the game with pubbies, everyone gets more toxic*

*this is wild speculation but I’m sticking to it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I never knew Payday 2 added steam marketplace poo poo. I hope we don’t ever get that for 3. Everytime money gets involved like that it changes the whole dynamic of the game with pubbies, everyone gets more toxic*

*this is wild speculation but I’m sticking to it.

oh, my friend, I have such stories to tell you

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

oh, my friend, I have such stories to tell you

I would like to hear them, I love getting mad at things.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

People who were against it were so against it that they would kick you for equipping the free drops you get back when the system required putting way more money into it than it does now.

vv e: to my recollection the only one that was a real game changer was anything that added concealment because +1 concealment meant a lot, but people made a lot of hay out of something adding +4 accuracy to a gun when they had changed how accuracy and stability work on a 0-100 scale instead of the weird old system.

I still think they could have avoided the whole issue completely by just copying the CS item system further and just having a little counter that kept track of how many cops you killed.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 12, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I'm sure Vox is writing up the complete history of Payday 2's Microtransaction Fiasco, but I'll give you this teaser: some skins gave (very) minor stat adjustments to weapons. You had to buy drills (with real money) to open the loot-boxes that contained the skins. The cries of "pay to win" were loud and angry.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pay to win is one thing (not defending it,) but my specific hate is when something becomes Play to Earn - I’ve noticed in lovely tier rocket league that anyone with TTV in their name is more apt to be a shithead because, I have to assume, they’re not there to have a drink and play a couple matches with a buddy, so me and my drunk buddy are immediately at odds with the guy who’s trying to keep eyes on his game.

poo poo like being able to sell drops on Steam marketplace seems like it would make that happen tenfold.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This will take some time to write up.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

This will take some time to write up.

Oh my god lmao

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Watch out everyone. Vox is gonna use ten years of experience in Debate and Discussion to finally unleash The Perfect Post that convinces everyone that putting stat boosts in loot boxes was Cool and Good, Actually™️

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh I doubt that, but still can't wait to be reminded of the fiasco that loot safes were, and the exact shittiness I forgot.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The problem was you had to buy drills and open the safes but the drills loving sucked and would crap out like five times before the safe opened.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

RandolphCarter posted:

The problem was you had to buy drills and open the safes but the drills loving sucked and would crap out like five times before the safe opened.

So they were broke-dick piece-of-poo poo drills? That checks out.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

piece of poo poo drill!
piece of poo poo drill!
piece of poo poo drill!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/redarcherlive/status/1724430614865047588?s=21&t=y15l4QqGceLuoaJ9AVfNIg

Neat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bringing back Cook Off is a "smash glass in case of emergency" moment for sure, lmao

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRmlmQtDqmc

if you don't want to watch the "streamer reacts" version of the video

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I wonder if the halfwit who decided Bain should say the wrong lines on purpose still works at starbreeze. Think they’ll do that again?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Think they’ll do that again?

If they're mirroring the original exactly, then 'yes'. The whole point is 'everyone here is doing something they're not skilled in('cooking'), under terrible conditions'.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

padijun posted:

I wonder if the halfwit who decided Bain should say the wrong lines on purpose still works at starbreeze. Think they’ll do that again?

I always liked the mechanic because it meant you had to talk to your team

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I figured we’d get some PD2 heists eventually but lol goddamn launch went that bad huh?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'd assume these heists were planned before release - but it is still a bad look IMO, already doing reycled content for the first update.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I wonder why they went with Murky Station instead of Shadow Raid, especially if the heists are both "copy and paste this stuff in the new engine then call it a day. don't change anything significant" including a stealth-only heist.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cooking Meth is all I wanted from Payday 3,so them giving to me will definitely keep me around longer that I expected.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

EorayMel posted:

I wonder why they went with Murky Station instead of Shadow Raid, especially if the heists are both "copy and paste this stuff in the new engine then call it a day. don't change anything significant" including a stealth-only heist.

Both heists are effectively the same only in concept and broad stroke objectives; they're not actually copy and paste. Even the remakes in pd2 from pdth required redoing basically all the visual assets.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Cook Off instead of Rats means we're not getting any multi-day heists in PD3, are we?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kikas posted:

Cook Off instead of Rats means we're not getting any multi-day heists in PD3, are we?

I think this was confirmed a while ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Man, that's a bummer. Cooking meth to sell to a gang, then stealing it all and the money they paid you was peak heisting. Not sure how they'd accomplish that without a multi-day heist.