Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Borscht posted:

Would it have an effect on unscripted productions? I thought reality tv was largely a product of the last strike.

all tv is scripted, especially reality tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh my god, a show of the Alex Jones trials in the same vein as The People Vs OJ Simpson. Bring back David Schwimmer as one of Jones' incompetent lawyers.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
As long as it ends with Jones being strapped into the life suction machine from Princess Bride so they can extract every penny he owes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

As long as it ends with Jones being strapped into the life suction machine from Princess Bride so they can extract every penny he owes.

Pretty sure all it would extract from Alex is memory loss chili. So much chili.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Bring back David Schwimmer as one of Jones' incompetent lawyers.

I can't see him as a Norm but he would make a great Reynal.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tree Dude posted:

I can't see him as a Norm but he would make a great Reynal.

He could SO go from colossal rear end in a top hat to incredibly screwed.

From "Juror #1, would you talk to me? Juror #2, would you talk to me? :smug:" to "We have your entire phone backup" ":stare:"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Michael Richards as Norm

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

goatface posted:

I assume a) it's not unscripted, and b) narrator work for documentaries still counts as VA work in the eyes of SAG.

Looked around and answered my own question:
The strike meant that actors could not work on projects with a specific class of contract. So for instance, if an actor is on strike, they can still host a game show or star in commercials or bizarrely, even star in a soap opera without crossing the picket line. Writers are more complicated but I think I would need to be an entertainment lawyer before I understood what the heck I was reading about them.
If you go to those productions, yeah they have a document called a script, but they aren’t covered under the “Tv and theatrical” contracts. Reality tv and documentaries are also separate so the strike doesn’t really hinder their production. If anything, production accelerated so that tv channels could fill their slate when they would have had a gap otherwise.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh my god, a show of the Alex Jones trials in the same vein as The People Vs OJ Simpson. Bring back David Schwimmer as one of Alex Jones' incompetent lawyers.

FTFY (If Christian Bale can play Cheney.)

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh my god, a show of the Alex Jones trials in the same vein as The People Vs OJ Simpson. Bring back David Schwimmer as one of Jones' incompetent lawyers.

It would just be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWotb3gci0A

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Reposting this because lol

https://nitter.net/GoadGatsby/status/1724574468658389427#m (video in link)

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

He looks like a caveman and a confederate general were merged in an unethical experiment

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
That's all of those male vitality supplements.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tea Party Crasher posted:

He looks like a caveman and a confederate general were merged in an unethical experiment

He sounds close to one too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Now I want to watch a crossover between The Fly and Bill and Ted.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So captain cavemaaaaauuuaaaaan

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Whys Alex being real sad brains there in particular? Besides slowly losing all of his money.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Lol, eat poo poo Alex Jones.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Whys Alex being real sad brains there in particular? Besides slowly losing all of his money.

Recently the bankruptcy courts decided that he could not actually use one weird trick to make the billion dollar judgement go away and that was probably his last line of delaying things (that I know of). Also, one of his main hosts is now in prison for the January 6th insurrection so he had to hire some more losers and is having to do more work on top of his life being more of a horrible mess than usual.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 15, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There are signs that he can barely keep his show running. Likely because his crew is incompetent or understaffed or just not a big pool of people are willing to work for him due to it being a hostile environment and a sinking ship.

He hates his audience except when they give him money and now it's starting to sink in that he isn't even going to be able to keep most of that. I also imagine his numbers are down in general lately if only because he's taking off so much but also surely some of his regulars have wised up to the grift or at least would rather support some other grifter.

His right hand man Owen will probably be out of jail soon though, right? Maybe that will cheer him up (It won't).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I haven’t listened to the last few KFs yet but he seemed to be feeling pretty low at the start of the month and from the looks of it things haven’t improved.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Oh yeah also he had another meltdown and quit a show earlier last week after he realized that people more famous than he is are 'stealing' his act (just like he stole his current act from Rush Limbaugh).

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Upsidads posted:

So captain cavemaaaaauuuaaaaan

Captain Caveman tried helping people. A loving badly animated cartoon about a paleolithic superdunce has more class, wit and sophistication than Jones.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Recently the bankruptcy courts decided that he could not actually use one weird trick to make the billion dollar judgement go away and that was probably his last line of delaying things (that I know of).

He's still got appeals, but as I understand it (IANAL), only the first appellate round actually has to even accept a brief, of which he is bound to lose. He can appeal the appellate courts but they can refuse to hear the case. He can keep appealing up to the Supreme Court but they're all just as likely to refuse to hear the case. I believe it may also be the case that after he loses his first appellate round his judgements aren't likely to be stayed.

So assuming all the above is true and not some bullshit that I'm regurgitating, time is indeed running out.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

ashpanash posted:

He's still got appeals, but as I understand it (IANAL), only the first appellate round actually has to even accept a brief, of which he is bound to lose. He can appeal the appellate courts but they can refuse to hear the case. He can keep appealing up to the Supreme Court but they're all just as likely to refuse to hear the case. I believe it may also be the case that after he loses his first appellate round his judgements aren't likely to be stayed.

So assuming all the above is true and not some bullshit that I'm regurgitating, time is indeed running out.

Can you appeal a bankruptcy ruling? I know he can appeal the civil ruling, but IIRC that would require a bond of about 10% of the judgment (which he so doesn't have).

Pirate Radar posted:

I haven’t listened to the last few KFs yet but he seemed to be feeling pretty low at the start of the month and from the looks of it things haven’t improved.

He kept mentioning about the "download" that he received from God over a chicken-fried steak.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

There's, importantly, also the matter of lawyers and appeals costing money, and the bankruptcy court is specifically set up to prevent someone doing a Brewster's Millions via court filings

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It was a teleportation accident and there was no way to know that it was going to happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mojo1701a posted:

Can you appeal a bankruptcy ruling? I know he can appeal the civil ruling, but IIRC that would require a bond of about 10% of the judgment (which he so doesn't have).

Yes - you can appeal a bankruptcy ruling to the district court, then to the circuit court of appeals. Bankruptcy rulings are easier to appeal before the end of the case than is typical in other cases. Generally you don't have a bond requirement, I don't believe that he would have one for appealing a non-dischargability ruling (I don't know off the top of my head if that's a ruling you can appeal before the end of the case but it feels like it).

Froghammer posted:

There's, importantly, also the matter of lawyers and appeals costing money, and the bankruptcy court is specifically set up to prevent someone doing a Brewster's Millions via court filings

I doubt the bankruptcy court prevents him from using money on that appeal. That would seem pretty unfair to allow the bankruptcy court to effectively appeal-proof its decisions by refusing to allow the debtor access to their money to appeal them.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

evilweasel posted:

Yes - you can appeal a bankruptcy ruling to the district court, then to the circuit court of appeals. Bankruptcy rulings are easier to appeal before the end of the case than is typical in other cases. Generally you don't have a bond requirement, I don't believe that he would have one for appealing a non-dischargability ruling (I don't know off the top of my head if that's a ruling you can appeal before the end of the case but it feels like it).

That makes sense, thanks!

Also this came across my Twitter timeline today:
https://x.com/resistanceinred/status/1724863268173295777?s=46&t=saZ8VqBE_KVAmEWU0bGxHA

I have a theory, and it’s that Alex constantly talking about how great Elon Musk is isn’t so he can get back on Twitter, but it’s a hail mary for Alex to get someone else to pay his settlement for him. Not that it’ll happen, but Alex is desperate.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

In addition to all the other reasons listed, he's sad because his employees are all quiet quitting because *gestures at everything* so he has to do more work for a diminishing audience.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Honestly, Jones isn’t interesting or special enough for anyone to bail him out. Frankly, he’s worth just as much politically as a “martyr” to the ghouls he’d be relying on to rescue him. Hell, maybe even more now that I think about it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

That makes sense, thanks!

Also this came across my Twitter timeline today:
https://x.com/resistanceinred/status/1724863268173295777?s=46&t=saZ8VqBE_KVAmEWU0bGxHA

I have a theory, and it’s that Alex constantly talking about how great Elon Musk is isn’t so he can get back on Twitter, but it’s a hail mary for Alex to get someone else to pay his settlement for him. Not that it’ll happen, but Alex is desperate.

All it would take is for Catturd or 14wordsB4ased to post "Elon should bail out Alex Jones, it woukd be epic bacon troll! The wokes would rage."

I give it 40% odds.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The judge's remarks reminded me of this Tom the Dancing Bug that was posted in the politoons thread just today.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Frank Frank posted:

Honestly, Jones isn’t interesting or special enough for anyone to bail him out. Frankly, he’s worth just as much politically as a “martyr” to the ghouls he’d be relying on to rescue him. Hell, maybe even more now that I think about it.

Definitely worth more as a martyr now. He's a sloppy drunk who lives for outrage bait. He can't control himself. No one else can control him. That's not a very useful tool.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

He kept mentioning about the "download" that he received from God over a chicken-fried steak.

Jones has been given the gift of prophecy, the ability to predict an event but only after it occurs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

red19fire posted:

Jones has been given the gift of prophecy, the ability to predict an event but only after it occurs.

I'd say his prophecy is more that he's predicted seventy of the three greatest events for the year.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What do you think Alex Jones smells like?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A) Your posts

B) Rum ham

C) BO and sadness

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
gently caress, I wish my posts smelled like rum ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Stale cigar smoke, alcohol, and BO. Possibly also meaty farts if he had chili recently.