Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

the long-awaited adultswim Uzumaki adaptation still looks absolutely unreal, but it's been a long time coming so i hope it's not overcooked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrqvjjKlOs

I never really "got" Uzumaki, but I loving love the look of that.

For the record, I generally respect his style, it's just none of his poo poo scares me personally. I wind up leaving hungry in terms of spookiness. Very glad other people like it though ; I just can't make myself afraid of being compelled to insert myself into a super thin crack in a cliff face or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Does anyone have some youtube short horror recommendations?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

I just can't make myself afraid of being compelled to insert myself into a super thin crack in a cliff face or whatever.

You obviously haven't found your hole yet

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hilario Baldness posted:

You obviously haven't found your hole yet

My mother is always is always asking me when I’m gonna find my hole-mate, settle down and give her some grand-crevices.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Guy Who Doesn’t Have Their Own Hole Right Now Pretty Sure Junji Ito is Overrated

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I never really "got" Uzumaki, but I loving love the look of that.

For the record, I generally respect his style, it's just none of his poo poo scares me personally. I wind up leaving hungry in terms of spookiness. Very glad other people like it though ; I just can't make myself afraid of being compelled to insert myself into a super thin crack in a cliff face or whatever.

Have you read the Ms Fuchi stories? I usually say it's just a piece of paper, it's not actually scary, but I find her very disturbing.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
gonna nth that the Uzumaki live action adaptation is the most watchable adaptation from the page; the Tomie films are so many different levels of boring that I have watched like four of them and could not distinctly tell you a single thing about any of them.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Skrillmub posted:

I'm not sure there is.
I watched the first three Tomies and lost steam there.
The first one is solidly OK.
The "second" one is a made for TV anthology that's watchable but still very made for TV.
The second feature film is like the Ringu sequels. It features characters who don't know anything about Tomie spending the whole movie discovering Tomie but the audience already knows all this so it's kinda pointless.

I'll watch the whole Tomie series and report back to the thread if someone can point me to somewhere to watch them with subtitles.
Got an email address for Tomie directions?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

Just imagine the end of Henry but when he dumps the suitcase on the side of the road its the musical queue from when you lose on The Price is Right.

Curb your enthusiasm dot mp3

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Skrillmub posted:

Have you read the Ms Fuchi stories? I usually say it's just a piece of paper, it's not actually scary, but I find her very disturbing.

I had to google to confirm, but yeah. The creepy model that’s a monster and eats the dudes making a movie in the woods, right? I’ve read a bunch of them, and I go in trying to give ‘em a fair shake.

I like the art, but it just doesn’t get the ol’ spook motor purring for whatever reason.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Got an email address for Tomie directions?

Awesome!. It's just my dumb internet name at google mail.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I had to google to confirm, but yeah. The creepy model that’s a monster and eats the dudes making a movie in the woods, right? I’ve read a bunch of them, and I go in trying to give ‘em a fair shake.

I like the art, but it just doesn’t get the ol’ spook motor purring for whatever reason.

That's her.
I get it, it's hard to generate a real spook with a book. You can easily set your own pace, environment, or headspace. Authors have so little control and so few tools compared to directors

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'd love an adaptation of Hellstar Remina, that poo poo gets whacky and wild

^^^ i actually think it's arguably easier to give someone the spooks with a novel, because it puts the visualisation onto the reader to imagine, but having to define a spook visually makes it trickier for movies and graphic novels. showing just enough without over-revealing seems like such a hard line to walk

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Skrillmub posted:

Awesome!. It's just my dumb internet name at google mail.
Tomie clues sent!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Watching Prince of Darkness because it's been years and my wife hasn't seen it, and man if any movie ever needed a remake this is it. Shot for shot remake with more charismatic actors

E:holy poo poo that's Hitchcock! I never noticed that before

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 15, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Watching Prince of Darkness because it's been years and my wife hasn't seen it, and man if any movie ever needed a remake this is it. Shot for shot remake with more charismatic actors

Victor Wong is a god drat treasure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fine they can CGI Wong and Pleasance in for their parts

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

alf_pogs posted:

i'd love an adaptation of Hellstar Remina, that poo poo gets whacky and wild

I don’t know if scary is the right word for that one necessarily but it’s so weird and bleak and kind of gross that it did leave an impression on me. Everyone is hopelessly doomed by the end and they’re fully aware of it. Letting you imagine their various deaths is worse than actually showing them.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

david_a posted:

I don’t know if scary is the right word for that one necessarily but it’s so weird and bleak and kind of gross that it did leave an impression on me. Everyone is hopelessly doomed by the end and they’re fully aware of it. Letting you imagine their various deaths is worse than actually showing them.

Thank you all for the recommendations and for basically confirming my thought that Ito's stuff hasn't really clicked in an adaptation yet.

I don't necessary find his stuff "scary" in the traditional way. But I recently finished all of his Tomie stories and there's one where guys are brewing sake made out Tomie's body and they end up getting drunk and hallucinating her forming out of the sake and swirling around and stuff. And that night I had this wild nightmare about wild animals turning into goo swirls and chasing me around. His concepts and imagery really stick with me, and his best stuff is always filled with a constant escalation of stakes and insanity.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Meh mustache guy is a dud but that film is pretty near perfect IMO. We don’t need anyone trying to shot for shot Carpenter.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think Ito is the closest thing to a modern Lovecraft without all the questionable cat names and such. His horror is more personal than cosmic but its still dealing in existential loss of identity, and unknowable horrors. That he can put a picture to them is simultaneously impressive and at times kills some of the fear that would naturally come with having to project your own internalized fears onto the descriptions.

Tldr: Ito good look out for ur face balloon

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is a very subjective question but are there are GOOD adaptations of Junji Ito's work? I did not really enjoy the Netflix animated series that just came out; the animation was pretty crap and the pacing was way too frantic.

Are any of the live action films worth watching? I saw there's like a dozen Tomie movies, and I really enjoyed those original comics.

i am an apologist for the live action Uzumaki, despite it ending far short of the comic (and consequently omitting a lot of the more cosmic horror / "reality itself is breaking down" stuff) and being kinda low-budget. it's basically a horror movie about not being able to escape the lovely small town you were born in due to lack of opportunity, family obligations, etc., and it resonates for me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

weekly font posted:

I think Ito is the closest thing to a modern Lovecraft without all the questionable cat names and such. His horror is more personal than cosmic but its still dealing in existential loss of identity, and unknowable horrors. That he can put a picture to them is simultaneously impressive and at times kills some of the fear that would naturally come with having to project your own internalized fears onto the descriptions.
counterpoint:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Do I need to post about my undying love for John Langan and how he’s the best modern horror writer, or do y’all remember it from the last couple times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Meh mustache guy is a dud but that film is pretty near perfect IMO. We don’t need anyone trying to shot for shot Carpenter.

My solution to the bland protagonist in Prince of Darkness is to simply swap him out for Dennis Dun. The movie is way more entertaining on a scene by scene basis if you make Dennis Dun the male lead.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do I need to post about my undying love for John Langan and how he’s the best modern horror writer, or do y’all remember it from the last couple times.

The Fisherman rules.

The reason the Merman in my short film has silver eyes is the people who come back from the dead who are probably actually otherworldly fishpeople disguised as the dead in that book have them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So my friend is really into Flanagan and that's why I've watched Hill House and Bly Manor. I like his stuff well enough, but I have one question. Do any of his other Netflix shows have Victoria Pedretti being tortured through the entire thing? I'd rather not see that for a third time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think those are the only two Flanagan things she's been in so you should be clear.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you. I like her as an actress and would like to see more of her, I just found it depressing when I realized "Oh, we just watched her be miserable and then die and become a miserable ghost for the second time"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So my friend is really into Flanagan and that's why I've watched Hill House and Bly Manor. I like his stuff well enough, but I have one question. Do any of his other Netflix shows have Victoria Pedretti being tortured through the entire thing? I'd rather not see that for a third time.

Everything Flanagan does is very heavy into punishing characters, especially if they're not bad people per se. The only one you're going to escape on that one is Doctor Sleep just because he already had source material. Every other one of his films will put the characters through the ringer.

weekly font posted:

Tldr: Ito good look out for ur face balloon

I don't think so too much. Ito is way more fantastical and I think deals in a way broader variety of horror than Lovecraft.

Lovecraft and many writers of his era were beholden to consumers of their era. People who paid for their pulp magazines didn't want anything straying too far from the original stories the authors would publish. Arthur Machen, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, they all had to just print the same thing over and over again in order to get work. This also sort of kills the structure of Lovecraft stories compared to Ito stories. I feel that Junji Ito has a wider range on what happens to the characters in his stories compared to Lovecraft. He's allowed to doom them or gloom them or kill them off, any of that stuff, which I think makes his stories a bit more effective. Lovecraft had to constantly write things in the frame of a journal.

Ito's stories are less miserably cruel as well, in my opinion. Like I know we're supposed to divorce authors from their work but it's really hard to read Lovecraft and not see all the insane racism, xenophobia, and agoraphobia. Ito's works, while disgusting and ultimately uncaring, do at least seem to be more fun. He seems more like an artist pushing his boundaries than a scared little man writing about the world around him. I don't blame Lovecraft per se even though he was especially racist for his time to the point where his friends wouldn't invite him to author meetups. I just think Ito, while having similar themes, is kind of his own thing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ito rocks, that panel from Glyceride will stay with me forever

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I love Ito. His stuff is generally very bleak but he'll throw in little bits of weird humor every so often. Plus he seems like such a nice guy in real life, I just vibe with pretty much everything he's created.

Flanagan I think has some quirks that can be hit or miss. HIs really good stuff is great (Midnight Mass is his peak for me), but he can also tend to got lost in the weeds a bit. Some of that might be the Netflix Model, though. Fall of the House of Usher probably would have been a lot better if it was 2 episodes shorter, imho. The good stuff was real good (Mark Hamill and Carl Lumbly especially) but we also spent a LOT of time with completely unlikable characters and that tended to drag things a bit for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

If you have a slide whistle on hand then any horror movie is a horror comedy.

IIRC The Town That Dreaded Sundown has got some slide whistle in it. Ill advised "comedy" at the least.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Looks like the Hell House LLC people are getting some kind of ARG started? Or it’s just general supplemental material, unclear https://www.net-sleuths.com/

edit: maybe this was prerelease poo poo I didn’t see until today. whatever, it’s cute

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 15, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

IIRC The Town That Dreaded Sundown has got some slide whistle in it. Ill advised "comedy" at the least.

Are you telling me you didn't like the drag sequence or all the business about Sparkplug's wacky driving, each of which is longer than any actual horror in the whole movie.

Some of the loving worst day-for-night shots I've ever seen too. Bad enough that it was hard to tell it was even supposed to be night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Granted, I love that movie (ditto Boggy Creek), but yes the Country Cracker Revue could all go. Decent car chase tho!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
How about the trombone kill?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

My solution to the bland protagonist in Prince of Darkness is to simply swap him out for Dennis Dun. The movie is way more entertaining on a scene by scene basis if you make Dennis Dun the male lead.

off topic but I recall you watched a bunch of bigfoot movies at one point. Which one would you say was the scariest?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

How about the trombone kill?

That can stay.

Especially how they make the guy pantomime having the whole idea with a bag on his head. Lots of looking back and forth between the knife and the trombone and then a little Aha! realization motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The trombone thing is extra insane because it's based on one of the actual victims having played saxophone, which was not involved in her murder at all.